Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301569 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #630 on: June 02, 2014, 08:33:44 PM »
I just try to do lines while talking in a Philly accent.....

soccer mom

« Reply #631 on: June 02, 2014, 09:30:48 PM »
I just try to do lines while talking in a Philly accent.....
I get the sniffles and my nose runs if I do to many lines, I don't see how you can pull the Philly accent with your nose full of powder. More power to you man!

BRO

« Reply #632 on: June 03, 2014, 01:17:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I turned 37 in Jan.  When I was 35 I was still skating pretty good.  Two years later.  Hella ankle and foot problems since then and now everything is so difficult.  Very unmotivated.  finally got orthos (350$) per foot but still getting used to them as they have zero padding.  Like hard plastic, feels like im skating with rocks in my shoes.   On top of all this the time away from teh board due to injuries mean I gain weight.  I'm not fat but compared to where I was I am more aerodynamic  :-[
[close]
I've got orthotic insoles and I've found the best way to get the impact support is the take a craft knife or scalpel and cut some voids in your shoes insole that allow the orthotic to sit in the shoe without your foot popping out while still giving you some cushioning.
[close]

I've got some sport orthotics, and while they're not as soft as regular insoles, they aren't rigid. They work in cupsoles, in any case.

I had really bad plantar fasciitis about 9 years ago.  I bought some rigid arch supports that lasted a good while and helped get rid of the fasciitis.  Alas, they finally broke, and I didn't want to fork out any more money on supports (although those were probably about $120 total), so I started cutting strips of Rite Aid double thick inserts into about 3/4"x 2.5" lengths. I usually use 2 per shoe, taking the first and taping it down with duct tape, directly into the shoe (sans insole).  Then adding the second, and finishing with some more duct tape to shape it to my arch. I throw the insole of my choice back in and, voila' I have some arch support.  It's a cheap work around for anyone on a budget, or not suffering terribly from arch pain. 

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #633 on: June 03, 2014, 04:53:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Spot skating sucks when you get older. Skated downtown providence yesterday and half the time was walking because the roads suck balls now.  Can't even cruise around really and all the spots more or less suck now.
[close]
i still dig it. providence is a dream to me but that's cause we hardly get down there. you've got better spots but worcester's pretty dope for cruising around, ollie this, grind that. do you know mike leslie? i think he's living near brigham these days.

Not sure if I know Mike. Worcester has really good hill bombs actually because some streets are one ways..pretty fun. Brigham ha. Razor tail in a couple of days.  Me and my buddy used to skate with Nate Keegan when he was little and bunch of Eastern Boarder dudes back in the day.

shark tits

« Reply #634 on: June 03, 2014, 05:08:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Spot skating sucks when you get older. Skated downtown providence yesterday and half the time was walking because the roads suck balls now.  Can't even cruise around really and all the spots more or less suck now.
[close]
i still dig it. providence is a dream to me but that's cause we hardly get down there. you've got better spots but worcester's pretty dope for cruising around, ollie this, grind that. do you know mike leslie? i think he's living near brigham these days.
[close]

Not sure if I know Mike. Worcester has really good hill bombs actually because some streets are one ways..pretty fun. Brigham ha. Razor tail in a couple of days.  Me and my buddy used to skate with Nate Keegan when he was little and bunch of Eastern Boarder dudes back in the day.
he's got thick glasses, big pop and draws pictures. he may have been one of those EB dudes. it's funny you say that about brigham, i just thought i was a pussy last time i went there. a lot of our roads/spots seem to have atrophied since i was here last but yeah, we've got awesome hills.

b.v.

« Reply #635 on: June 03, 2014, 07:43:28 AM »
couple clips form recent seattle trip .   turned 41 last weekend.   could be dead within a fortnight

https://vimeo.com/97078675

https://vimeo.com/97078676
Very nice! Love the qp at delridge.

towerofcheeseandpotatoes

• Rep: -27
« Reply #636 on: June 03, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
Expand Quote
You know, when you start getting all gross. Like 26 or something.
[close]

Shit i am 26. Is it all downhill from here?

Im 30 and 27 was one of the best years.
Thats when I started riding big wide boards, skating bowls more, Riding way way looser trucks, more slappies and no-complies.
Getting seduced by 19 year old chicks?.
Your in a good place my man.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #637 on: June 13, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »
En route to being an old dude
SOSANATOR IN THE 90's on Vimeo

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #638 on: June 13, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
Married With Children

This seemed appropriate to post.  Was 35 when this was filmed.  It was a lot of fun to make.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #639 on: June 13, 2014, 09:17:09 PM »
Married With Children

This seemed appropriate to post.  Was 35 when this was filmed.  It was a lot of fun to make.
This is/was sick. Saw this when it came out. Which guy are you? You guys have an amazing scene up in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area. I'm about 2.5 hours away, and always enjoy skate trips there.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

jack2jack

• Rep: 3
« Reply #640 on: June 23, 2014, 05:42:57 AM »
Hey. im 34 now (35 in three weeks) and back on the board after more than 10 years off because my son started skating.
i have skated only from 11 till 13/14 and 18 till 21 because of other things i was into...

the last 3/4 years im getting back most of the shit i could do with 20 but not so gnarly. im not good in any way and my fliptricks wont come back after torn ligaments incl. Weber-B fracture 3 years ago and last year i got a surgery because i broke my collarbone in three pieces while warming up in a skatehall....

But i enjoy skating with my son so much... last week here was a little contest at the park and i participated just for fun and got 14 th out of 31 haha... shared a jam run with my son (who got 5th), so much fun....

in a month we will be in Barca for 10 days again! i hope there are many years to come on the board....yesterday i relearned K-grinds on round parkrails but its much more a mental thing to throw yourself onto these things these days, haha (im a pussy sometimes)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #641 on: June 23, 2014, 06:56:56 AM »
 You know you're old when you say k-grind....

jack2jack

• Rep: 3
« Reply #642 on: June 23, 2014, 08:32:30 AM »
You know you're old when you say k-grind....

Haha, you got me there...

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #643 on: June 23, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »
I started about a year ago after a decade+ off the board as well. Not gonna lie, it's been tough going. 4 months of time off pretty much off the bat for rolled ankles (rolled one. Recovered. Rolled other immediately) plus 4 months of winter left me feeling like i made zero progress since my return. Now I'm dealing with a lot of those mental blocks you speak of because I literally can't afford to injure myself. But I'm starting to get my rhythm back slowly as summer begins...

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #644 on: June 23, 2014, 03:26:39 PM »
I started about a year ago after a decade+ off the board as well. Not gonna lie, it's been tough going. 4 months of time off pretty much off the bat for rolled ankles (rolled one. Recovered. Rolled other immediately) plus 4 months of winter left me feeling like i made zero progress since my return. Now I'm dealing with a lot of those mental blocks you speak of because I literally can't afford to injure myself. But I'm starting to get my rhythm back slowly as summer begins...

For me it helps to skate with someone who skates about the same level as me. But since you've been of for a while it might be hard to find someone like that.

brarbra

• Rep: -5
« Reply #645 on: June 23, 2014, 04:00:49 PM »
I'm 33 and I'm terrible. I've seen myself on video. I'm clumsy and awkward. Now I just don't watch myself. I was on and off skating since 1997 but have been skating pretty much nonstop since 2012. It sucks looking back and regretting all of the tricks I gave up on learning and all of the times I chose to get hammered in parking lots or be in destructive relationships instead of skating. I never really took that long off.. maybe two or three years max, but the inconsistency set me back a lot. All I can do now is live in the present and look forward I guess. Luckily I live in a city where there are older skaters on the streets/spots sometimes. I feel like in suburbs you're pretty much going to end up stuck on your backyard mini ramp which is cool if you've got the means and you're into, but I still really like skating street.

With all of the stress we deal with as adults (including being a parent if you have kids) it's good to have something to focus on for yourself. It's extremely therapeutic and keeps you in shape.

To all the people who started again after years not skating, don't give up. To all the young people who are pissed that they suck, don't give up.

Young Satchel

« Reply #646 on: June 23, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me it helps to skate with someone who skates about the same level as me. But since you've been of for a while it might be hard to find someone like that.

LOL them back handed compliments there ;)  But in all seriousness, what I actually need to do is skate with some dudes my age (give or take a few) who are better than me.  I spent most of my youth skating with people who were at the same level or worse than me, and I started to feel a distinct lack of motivation.  It's not that I need competition per se, just that being around people doing things I want to do but can't quite manage encourages me rather than frustrates me.

I went to this skatepark near me that I had no idea existed yesterday.  I grew up skating in NYC in the early 90s; I had literally never skated a concrete park until yesterday.  I was alone, and though it was incredibly frustrating and I ate shit 5 or 6 times leaving bleeding and bruised by 10am, I feel better for it.  One thing I noticed straight away, skating street and skating transition/parks requires a totally different set of muscles; I feel like my core and shoulders got punched a lot.  I plan to continue making a fool of myself there, but as long as I live near enough to a city or town, I will always want to skate street more.  Street is why I skate, period. Even if it's sessioning an ankle-high manny pad for an hour like I did this evening.  The park provides a strange sort of hamster wheel sensation of exerting ones self completely, while going nowhere.  I like that it teaches me new things, and forces me to adapt, but I miss that sense of genuine locomotion you get on those crisp city evenings, ollieng sewer caps and firecrackering curbs and all that good, old, simple shit....

shark tits

« Reply #647 on: June 23, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

LOL them back handed compliments there ;)  But in all seriousness, what I actually need to do is skate with some dudes my age (give or take a few) who are better than me.  I spent most of my youth skating with people who were at the same level or worse than me, and I started to feel a distinct lack of motivation.  It's not that I need competition per se, just that being around people doing things I want to do but can't quite manage encourages me rather than frustrates me.

I went to this skatepark near me that I had no idea existed yesterday.  I grew up skating in NYC in the early 90s; I had literally never skated a concrete park until yesterday.  I was alone, and though it was incredibly frustrating and I ate shit 5 or 6 times leaving bleeding and bruised by 10am, I feel better for it.  One thing I noticed straight away, skating street and skating transition/parks requires a totally different set of muscles; I feel like my core and shoulders got punched a lot.  I plan to continue making a fool of myself there, but as long as I live near enough to a city or town, I will always want to skate street more.  Street is why I skate, period. Even if it's sessioning an ankle-high manny pad for an hour like I did this evening.  The park provides a strange sort of hamster wheel sensation of exerting ones self completely, while going nowhere.  I like that it teaches me new things, and forces me to adapt, but I miss that sense of genuine locomotion you get on those crisp city evenings, ollieng sewer caps and firecrackering curbs and all that good, old, simple shit....
i feel ya. skateparks are placebo skating to me. it's nice to see everyone and trick your body into thinking you did some skating but it doesn't count. not just cause it's prefab and looks bad on video, it's just sterile.
like electric avenue, 'out in the streets there is violence'. there's girls. dirty rigs. adversity. used condoms. dead birds. unexpected kindness. friends that don't get what you're doing but it's nice to see them on their way to tie one on.
so long as the cops give me wide berth and the weather holds up i'll be skating my strip mall plaza every night and street spots w/ friends whenever they're up and about.

brarbra

• Rep: -5
« Reply #648 on: June 23, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »

I have to chime in here. I grew up in Long Island and we didn't have parks either (one popped up out east in the late 90s but I didn't live that far). We skated shitty parking lots, loading docks and SUNY Stony Brook. Sometimes we took trips to Manhattan or Queens to skate around, but usually it was the same curbs and crunchy pavement. I skated a ton in San Francisco in 2000/2001, in Berkeley in 2008/2009, and now in another city. I love city skating. I feel better after a few hours skating around and doing whatever tricks as I go and stopping at spots for a few tricks and moving on than I ever do at a skatepark or just a single spot. I like the impromptu shit you end up doing when skating in the city. Growing up in the suburbs we would skate in front of someone's house or skate or drive to a spot and just be there for a while. Those times were fun in their own way, but it wasn't as exciting. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #649 on: June 23, 2014, 11:28:06 PM »
If you watch mike V's speed freaks part he does Ollie to smith stalls on benches.....I could always do that but never being able to do back 50's decent stopped me from ever learning a back smith.....took me 20 plus years to figure out if I went in the other direction.....this would happen...

WARNING FILMED AT A PARK......

scolli

I've only seen myself skate a handful of times....by the time cameras were cheap I was too old and only good guys filmed....

Young Satchel

« Reply #650 on: June 24, 2014, 03:19:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
i feel ya. skateparks are placebo skating to me. it's nice to see everyone and trick your body into thinking you did some skating but it doesn't count. not just cause it's prefab and looks bad on video, it's just sterile.
like electric avenue, 'out in the streets there is violence'. there's girls. dirty rigs. adversity. used condoms. dead birds. unexpected kindness. friends that don't get what you're doing but it's nice to see them on their way to tie one on.
so long as the cops give me wide berth and the weather holds up i'll be skating my strip mall plaza every night and street spots w/ friends whenever they're up and about.

Yeah I Ollied a bloody possum across from the bodega that sells beer on EBT cards last night. That's a "feature" a skatepark designer has yet to figure out how to build.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #651 on: June 24, 2014, 09:44:20 AM »
If you watch mike V's speed freaks part he does Ollie to smith stalls on benches.....I could always do that but never being able to do back 50's decent stopped me from ever learning a back smith.....took me 20 plus years to figure out if I went in the other direction.....this would happen...

scolli

I've only seen myself skate a handful of times....by the time cameras were cheap I was too old and only good guys filmed....

Nice! I have yet to experience what a legit back smith feels like either during my 30 years on board. Mine are never dipped enough to where the rail actually touches.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #652 on: June 24, 2014, 09:49:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

LOL them back handed compliments there ;)?  But in all seriousness, what I actually need to do is skate with some dudes my age (give or take a few) who are better than me.?  I spent most of my youth skating with people who were at the same level or worse than me, and I started to feel a distinct lack of motivation.?  It's not that I need competition per se, just that being around people doing things I want to do but can't quite manage encourages me rather than frustrates me.

I went to this skatepark near me that I had no idea existed yesterday.?  I grew up skating in NYC in the early 90s; I had literally never skated a concrete park until yesterday.?  I was alone, and though it was incredibly frustrating and I ate shit 5 or 6 times leaving bleeding and bruised by 10am, I feel better for it.?  One thing I noticed straight away, skating street and skating transition/parks requires a totally different set of muscles; I feel like my core and shoulders got punched a lot.?  I plan to continue making a fool of myself there, but as long as I live near enough to a city or town, I will always want to skate street more.?  Street is why I skate, period. Even if it's sessioning an ankle-high manny pad for an hour like I did this evening.?  The park provides a strange sort of hamster wheel sensation of exerting ones self completely, while going nowhere.?  I like that it teaches me new things, and forces me to adapt, but I miss that sense of genuine locomotion you get on those crisp city evenings, ollieng sewer caps and firecrackering curbs and all that good, old, simple shit....
[close]
[close]

Yeah I Ollied a bloody possum across from the bodega that sells beer on EBT cards last night. That's a "feature" a skatepark designer has yet to figure out how to build.

Agree. I've been to 2 skateparks so far this year. And its already half way through the year. One of the parks was a completely brand new one. And the other had some additions recently put in. I'm down for a park if I've never been there. But after that; they lose their thrill real fast.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #653 on: June 24, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »
I'm 33 and I'm terrible. I've seen myself on video. I'm clumsy and awkward. Now I just don't watch myself.

I'm still filming pretty regularly but the last year or so, when I watch my footage I'm really started to see a lot of what can only be called "old man style." I'm kinda looking at it as a challenge though. Getting a clip I'm psyched on has always been hard for me, but I can still do it enough to make it fun to try. My aging body is increasingly a significant obstacle for me, but isn't that what skateboarding is about - getting creative with obstacles?

Honestly, my favorite skate vids these days are footage of older pros. I wish it wasn't so common to stop filming once your skating "falls off" a bit. The way people skate in their older years is fascinating to me. Nothing gets me more psyched than seeing footage of Ray Barbee or Ron Allen or even Tony Hawk -  any of the post 40 crowd who are still doing it.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #654 on: June 24, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »
I've always been pretty mediocre. I turn 30 this year, which isn't really old, but I can definitely feel the last 15 years in my knees. My legs aren't as strong as they used to be but it still feels good to be rolling around and to see people 5, 10, 15+ years older than me still doing it, still learning tricks, and still finding time to do this shit despite full time jobs, families, and whatever else. Being mediocre also offers a lot of opportunity to learn some simple tricks that I somehow overlooked.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #655 on: June 24, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »

scolli

that was awesome

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #656 on: June 25, 2014, 06:01:18 AM »
Expand Quote

scolli

[close]

that was awesome

Sick! Nice workaround to your BS grind problem.

I don't think the old heads are gonna worry too much about having park footage. We understand...

That whoop de do next to the ledge looks fun.

shark tits

« Reply #657 on: June 25, 2014, 06:29:32 AM »
i wasn't trying to be a dickhead about parks. skate anywhere you want. it's a personal thing for me but i get frustrated when all the other old farts just want to skate the auburn park [although i swear i'm not the one who keeps smashing cinderblocks there]. if i learned one thing from the pj video it's that there's more life in a tramp's vest so i just want to be in traffic/public/places i'm not sposedta be. that weird reverse smith was cool.

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #658 on: June 25, 2014, 07:46:10 AM »
Also an old dude. Age 34. Started skating in 1990. Still love skateboarding as much today as I did when I was a kid. I have alot of fun doing it. I work full time 6 days a week, help out my family alot, and I'm in a serious relationship. I still manage to skate almost everyday that it's not raining even if it's just pushing fast though town for 20 minutes or an all out city mission skate day. I just love the feeling of taking a running start and stepping on my board with those Swiss bearings fast and loud underneath me and taking that first push of the day into whatever adventure my wooden toy and feet can find. I feel like a kid again when I take that first push. All stress just goes away when you're rolling fast dodging cars, pedestrians, piles of poop, cops, kids, etc... Love that feeling!
Some days my body feels good and I manage to actually film some tricks or skate what I consider to be some bigger stuff. I am by no means an amazing skater, but I feel that my skill level is that of a respectable one considering my age and spots I have to work with on a daily basis. Other days I feel like I'm 65 and I'll bend my knees to pop a trick and consider taking a nap while I'm down there. All in all though I just try to live a healthy lifestyle and be a good person. I try to keep a positive mind set and I try to not take any of the good things I have for granted. I consider myself really lucky to have found skateboarding when I was 10 years old and to still be doing it today. I've gotten to go to many awesome places and meet many awesome people that I would not have had the chance if it wasn't for skating.
Nice to read about others that are also what is considered a little old for skateboarding still out there doing it, having fun, raising families, taking slams, living life, and so on. I have alot of respect for all the older heads out there still gettin' some. I find that super inspiring. I also have alot of respect for anyone out there skating, being yourself, and doing something positive no matter what age you are. Hope everybody keeps shredding and having fun :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:26:11 AM by Doughboy »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #659 on: June 25, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
Thanks guys....there's pros and cons to both street skating and parks.....

I guess nothing beats pushing around but I'm still wired to try and do a bunch of tricks in an hour so parks work for that.....

It's all gravy though no matter how you cut it....