Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301254 times)

BRO

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #690 on: August 04, 2014, 10:55:06 PM »
Take things a day at a time and do what you're doing, I skate with pain most days and just deal with it.
At least you can enjoy it on some level even if for a shorter duration.
Take what you can get.

Yeah.  Just frustrating when your body suddenly isn't working like you want it to or like it was a month or so back.  Will probably just take it easy and ride my road bike and try and get healthy.

ratherwatch

« Reply #691 on: August 05, 2014, 08:54:42 AM »
I have a friend who has had his ACL re- attached unsuccessfully twice. Not only can he not skate now but he has trouble walking any distance. The doctor told him there is nothing that can be done. Does anybody know of any therapy, maverick surgery or drugs which could help?

I'm 41, and I've discovered losing a little bit of weight makes me feel way way better after skating.

BRO

« Reply #692 on: August 05, 2014, 11:27:21 AM »
I have a friend who has had his ACL re- attached unsuccessfully twice. Not only can he not skate now but he has trouble walking any distance. The doctor told him there is nothing that can be done. Does anybody know of any therapy, maverick surgery or drugs which could help?

I'm 41, and I've discovered losing a little bit of weight makes me feel way way better after skating.

That's the concern I have.  I don't want to be in constant aching pain.  At this point, I'm just being a realist.  I'll take my sabbatical, but if I end up having to have it scoped just to be able to comfortably move around, I doubt I'll be out skating again.  It's about quality of life, and each person is different.  Moving on to road bicycling and motorcycling touring just may be my next step.

ratherwatch

« Reply #693 on: August 05, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's the concern I have.  I don't want to be in constant aching pain.  At this point, I'm just being a realist.  I'll take my sabbatical, but if I end up having to have it scoped just to be able to comfortably move around, I doubt I'll be out skating again.  It's about quality of life, and each person is different.  Moving on to road bicycling and motorcycling touring just may be my next step.

Without being too maudlin about it, skating isn't what our bodies were designed for and there was always going to be a price to pay, it's just like Jackie Mason talking about seeing a shrink to'find himself', when he has to pay he says 'can't we wait til we find myself and bill that guy?'. We always thought that by the time the price tag came around we would be some other shnook who didn't mind so much. There was a really good British skater called Mat Fowler who said to me that he didn't mind not being able to skate any more because the journey it took him on he carried with him every day. Cycling is really low impact and good for your knees. The journey never changes.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #694 on: August 05, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
No shame in cashing your chips in....it's coming for all of us at some point....

I ride my bike for transportation and its super fun when the weather is good.....I know some old skate dudes who now talk endlessly about grand fondos and $10k bikes....fuck those guys....

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1014
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #695 on: August 05, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Take things a day at a time and do what you're doing, I skate with pain most days and just deal with it.
At least you can enjoy it on some level even if for a shorter duration.
Take what you can get.
[close]

Yeah.  Just frustrating when your body suddenly isn't working like you want it to or like it was a month or so back.  Will probably just take it easy and ride my road bike and try and get healthy.
I totally understand and was in that boat for the last 8 months.
Finally healed and skating again comfortably.
Hope for the best for you!

ungzilla

« Reply #696 on: August 05, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »
Yo, I'm kinda old, let me get in on this.

Degree of decrepitude: 32
Setup: Polar p1 or p4 shape depending on what I can find, I think the p4 is my shit though, Spitfire 54mm Formula 4s, Indy 149, Bones Swiss, Jessup grip usually
Terrain: Ledges, curbs, and flats
Favorites: Puig, Cromer, Busenitz, Kirchart, Dill
Favorite tricks: Slappies, switch back 180s, big spins
Music: All kinds of bullshit
Married: Nah but I've got a cool chick
Kids: Hell nah
Occupation: Field biologist - plant ecology and fish biology mostly

Still skating 3-5 times a week, get an occasional mediocre clip.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #697 on: August 06, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »
Sat on my leg kind of weird, about 6 weeks back, seems like it's not really recovering all that well.  Haven't skated and have been doing elliptical as light rehab, along with squats.  I've had acl reconstructions on each knee, and the knee in question feels pretty solid.  However, I think I may have fucked the miniscus a little bit.  Have aching pain that comes and goes and the knee is perma swollen.  Pretty depressing and makes me wonder if my days are becoming numbered, as I'm turning 42 this December.

This is the type of shit that I am totally afraid of. 39 now, about to move somewhere weather is friendlier so I can get out twice/three times a week all year round. My plan is keep it as low impact as possible, exercise and stay active most other days and hope for the best.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #698 on: August 06, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
Sat on my leg kind of weird, about 6 weeks back, seems like it's not really recovering all that well.  Haven't skated and have been doing elliptical as light rehab, along with squats.  I've had acl reconstructions on each knee, and the knee in question feels pretty solid.  However, I think I may have fucked the miniscus a little bit.  Have aching pain that comes and goes and the knee is perma swollen.  Pretty depressing and makes me wonder if my days are becoming numbered, as I'm turning 42 this December.

I hear ya, dude. I had a back/neck thing recently that I thought might be the end of the line for me, but it seems to be healing once again.... still out there rolling at 41 - got lucky. But staring down a life without skating is pretty chilling. Don't give up hope just yet tho. The body has an amazing ability to heal itself over time (or to adapt to that which won't heal).

I've been waiting for years for The Big Injury that finally takes me out of skating, but what's really slowing me down lately has just been straight up fatigue. My body just gets exhausted so much faster now.  

It's a weird thing to be healthy, it's sunny out, I have plenty of time, I'm dying to skate, but forcing myself to take a day of rest so that the NEXT time I skate, I'll actually have enough energy to do a fucking trick.:)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:43:24 AM by Getty »

shark tits

« Reply #699 on: August 06, 2014, 09:55:41 AM »
once i didn't get a hard on for like an entire yr. i thought i ruined my dick w/ my laptop but turns out i just wasn't stoked on my girlfriend and was doing too many pills. now i'm skating around w/ a veritable priapism!
thanks skateboarding.

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #700 on: August 06, 2014, 11:42:14 AM »
Old man Stats!:
Setup:Politic 8, Indys, shop wheels, bones bearings, mob grip
Terrain: flat, ledges, banks
Favs: Mariano, AVE, Gillet, Luan, Renaud, Dela, many others
Fav. tricks: nollie flips, inward heel variations, backside 180 nosegrinds
Music: independent and classic hip-hop, classic rock, funk, jazz
Married: yup and expecting our first child in a week or so
I skate about 3 times a week with type 1 diabetes and also suffer from psoriatic arthritis

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #701 on: August 06, 2014, 05:00:05 PM »
the worst part is the discouragement and the sad thoughts (with getting near 40 - 'skating days are numbered' stuff.)    You have love and complete empathy from me.  For the last 5 years I didnt know what was wrong with me (everything hurted) untill i cut my skating down to once a week, then alot of the pain left..  My shoulder is mega fucked so my surfing (newfound 10 year old interest) is somewhat limited too..  So I say get a fucking boogie board if ur shoulders go and keep  skating and put a poster of one those 2ft high brazillian leg less motherfuckers that skate on your wall for inspiration.    My knees are like "fuck off" and my back -wont get started..  (i have heard cycleing will improve ur knees tho)  If your shoulders are good and your knees are done just quit and start surfing strait up(i think single fins are the path of least resistence for your body)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:21:25 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #702 on: August 07, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

? Hunter S. Thompson

twistingtheknife666

• Rep: 0
« Reply #703 on: August 07, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Any old farts on here in Albuquerque? Just moved here from St. Louis and haven't met a whole lot of people as I pretty much just hang with my girlfriend. I've skated a bit downtown Sunday afternoons and of course hit a few ditch spots but haven't met anyone close to my age (37) at this point.

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #704 on: August 07, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
So I'm 33, married to an awesome girl and run a tiny skateboard company and work at the woodshop/board press. I also pay my bills as a dental lab technician, making gold teef.
No kids, just a gigantic bulldog, who hates skateboards.
I'm fortunate enough to live right by a skatepark, so thats a good thing. I've never been very good, but I've had and continue to have a lot of fun.
Anyway, if anyone is in Northeast LA, holla at me, we'll skate Garvanza.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #705 on: August 12, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Sat on my leg kind of weird, about 6 weeks back, seems like it's not really recovering all that well.  Haven't skated and have been doing elliptical as light rehab, along with squats.  I've had acl reconstructions on each knee, and the knee in question feels pretty solid.  However, I think I may have fucked the miniscus a little bit.  Have aching pain that comes and goes and the knee is perma swollen.  Pretty depressing and makes me wonder if my days are becoming numbered, as I'm turning 42 this December.
[close]

I hear ya, dude. I had a back/neck thing recently that I thought might be the end of the line for me, but it seems to be healing once again.... still out there rolling at 41 - got lucky. But staring down a life without skating is pretty chilling. Don't give up hope just yet tho. The body has an amazing ability to heal itself over time (or to adapt to that which won't heal).

I've been waiting for years for The Big Injury that finally takes me out of skating, but what's really slowing me down lately has just been straight up fatigue. My body just gets exhausted so much faster now.  

It's a weird thing to be healthy, it's sunny out, I have plenty of time, I'm dying to skate, but forcing myself to take a day of rest so that the NEXT time I skate, I'll actually have enough energy to do a fucking trick.:)

as I explained a few pages back, "the big injury" has come for me last year. I'm now waiting to get the plate taken out of my ankle in october. And I'm ashamed/stoked to say I found something to somewhat "replace" skating: mountain biking. It's much better on my knees, I fall a lot less and I just love fucking off on my own to the far corners of the forest.
I really miss skating still....but on the other hand, it's satisfying to start something new and progress, rather than the slow decline I've been experiencing in my skating....
I really marvel at guys like DaeWon or Creager who still rip insanely hard past 40. from 35 to 40 I just lost so many tricks it was super frustrating.

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #706 on: August 20, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »
Sup' fellow old dudes? Hope everyone is having a great summer and finding time to get some skating in while juggling, work, family, physical pain, and all that old man stuff. I've been skating alot lately despite being tired and exhausted most days due to summer being the busiest time of year for my work. Atleast the weather has been decent this year and not too much rain. For the past 2 weeks I've been helping a group of about 10 kids in my hometown get started skating. All these kids were mainly bmx kids that I would always see when I was skating because we all shared a pretty awesome d.i.y. spot on an old warehouse foundation. A couple months ago we got the permanent boot from our spot due to someone breaking some windows in the building adjacent to our spot. Didn't see any of the kids for awhile after our spot got busted. I'd see some of them here and there when I'd be skating street, then about 2 weeks ago they all started asking if I had any boards for sale. Our town is about 1 hour away from any major city with a skate shop, so it's kinda tough for youngsters to go into the city just to buy a skateboard. Being that I am a gear geek and a master of trying new deck shapes, wheels, trucks, etc and then not using stuff when I decide I don't like it, I had a rather large stock-pile of lightly used gear in storage. I sold off pretty much all of my backstock cheap enough that any of these dudes that wanted to start skating would be able to get hooked up with some basically new gear. It's been pretty fun skating lately because instead of it being only me skating, now there's a mob of kids ages 14-22 out. Some of these dudes skated before so they're picking up tricks again really fast. Kinda pushes me to try more shit. It's alot easier to jump down and off of stuff when there's a bunch of younger dudes feeding your ego saying "Yeah man you got this!" Hope these younger dudes stick with it. I'll probably just use the money from the decks and stuff I sold to build a grind box with caster wheels or something on it so we can push it from spot to spot until we find somewhere for a new d.i.y. project... Well that's what I've been up to. If you read this, thanks.

Side note. I use to like drinking more than anyone should. I didn't skate as much as I should have in my late 20's because I was too busy being drunk and lazy. This weekend I'll be 1,000 days sober. I'm stoked and thankful for that :)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #707 on: August 20, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
^ Good job, and congrats.

I just found a pair of Blind jeans and a pair of Plan B jeans.  Yeah those, from 1993ish.  Why do I still have these, and what am I supposed to do with them?  I realize I am a pair of Pumas and a wig away from a halloween costume, but I already dressed up as me in 1993, for the whole year.  I don't think I need to do it again.   Purple I heart Slayer shirt was in the same box.

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #708 on: August 20, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »

I just found a pair of Blind jeans and a pair of Plan B jeans.  Yeah those, from 1993ish.  Why do I still have these, and what am I supposed to do with them?  I realize I am a pair of Pumas and a wig away from a halloween costume, but I already dressed up as me in 1993, for the whole year.  I don't think I need to do it again.   Purple I heart Slayer shirt was in the same box.

I was so stoked when I got this back in the day. Felt like a champ wearing it.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #709 on: August 20, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
No shame in cashing your chips in....it's coming for all of us at some point....

I ride my bike for transportation and its super fun when the weather is good.....I know some old skate dudes who now talk endlessly about grand fondos and $10k bikes....fuck those guys....

aaaaa I can feel it too.. I started biking as a way to condition my knees in order to skate longer. Now I ride more than I skate. Just jumped up to a Cannondale from a Schwinn i bought at meijer 6 years ago. Things are getting serious....

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #710 on: August 20, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »
The same company owns both Schwinn and Cannondale.  Dig up the post your bike thread, let's see it.  Maybe I'll dig it up, I just got a new ride myself.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #711 on: August 20, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

aaaaa I can feel it too.. I started biking as a way to condition my knees in order to skate longer. Now I ride more than I skate. Just jumped up to a Cannondale from a Schwinn i bought at meijer 6 years ago. Things are getting serious....

I'm also on my bike way more often than my board. It just an easier way to get around the city. Also i have to save my fucked knee and ankle for fun skating, cant risk hitting a fucking bottle cap and being out of commission.

I'm riding one of those Pure Fix bikes, all black, free wheel not fixed (knees again). Its nothing fancy but its a work horse. can take a serious beating and has never let me down! Plus bikes get ripped off so quickly here, no need for anything fancy.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:43:24 PM by headtowall »

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #712 on: August 20, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »
The same company owns both Schwinn and Cannondale.  Dig up the post your bike thread, let's see it.  Maybe I'll dig it up, I just got a new ride myself.
Fucking liars at the bike shop. whatever, it rides very nice and weighs about half as much as my Schwinn. I will grab a pic tomorrow when I ride. What did you get?

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #713 on: August 20, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I'm also on my bike way more often than my board. It just an easier way to get around the city. Also i have to save my fucked knee and ankle for fun skating, cant risk hitting a fucking bottle cap and being out of commission.

I'm riding one of those Pure Fix bikes, all black, free wheel not fixed (knees again). Its nothing fancy but its a work horse. can take a serious beating and has never let me down! Plus bikes get ripped off so quickly here, no need for anything fancy.

If i don't ride my bike, my knees start to hurt. Weird right? I feel for you big city guys. I could probably leave my bike on my front porch and it would be there in the morning. But there are no good bars or hip-young women gracefully walking around in my neighborhood. That's the trade off.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #714 on: August 20, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »
I'm going to go skate tomorrow morning! Stoked. If anyone is in the east bay I'll be over at Richmond park around 9ish.

skateskateskate

« Reply #715 on: August 21, 2014, 06:15:30 AM »
so everyone here will automatically get free shit from Tired Skateboards right?

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #716 on: August 21, 2014, 06:40:09 AM »
so everyone here will automatically get free shit from Tired Skateboards right?
I almost picked one up because i love their whole thing, but i still cant fuck with a big ass shaped board. Maybe as a bar board.

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #717 on: August 21, 2014, 11:13:11 AM »

Thanks dude, appreciate that!

I too fell victim to the Blind jeans in the early 90's. I had a pink pair, 10 sizes too big, and cut off at the bottom. Duct tape on my shoes was a must. The bigger the t-shirt, the better. I also had bleach blonde Mike Carroll Plan B era hair. Oh those were the times hahaha ;D

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #718 on: August 21, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »

Side note. I use to like drinking more than anyone should. I didn't skate as much as I should have in my late 20's because I was too busy being drunk and lazy. This weekend I'll be 1,000 days sober. I'm stoked and thankful for that :)

Nice! I'm a few weeks away from being 2 years without a drink. After drinking pretty much every day for 15 years. And just over 4 months now without any cigs. I will say this: my body seems to heal up way quicker from all the abuse skating does without all that booze running through it.
I've always been into yoga and stretching out before I skate. But recently discovered the benefits of doing all that after I skate as well. Especially pilates for the ankles, knees and groin. Really helps with the day after pain that seems so common. And a drink made with a freshly squeezed lemon is great. I mix mine with cranberry juice. As you sip it; I swear you can feel the healing powers spread throughout your body.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #719 on: August 22, 2014, 05:56:07 AM »