Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301296 times)

Doughboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #720 on: August 22, 2014, 07:06:47 AM »
Expand Quote

Side note. I use to like drinking more than anyone should. I didn't skate as much as I should have in my late 20's because I was too busy being drunk and lazy. This weekend I'll be 1,000 days sober. I'm stoked and thankful for that :)
[close]

Nice! I'm a few weeks away from being 2 years without a drink. After drinking pretty much every day for 15 years. And just over 4 months now without any cigs. I will say this: my body seems to heal up way quicker from all the abuse skating does without all that booze running through it.
I've always been into yoga and stretching out before I skate. But recently discovered the benefits of doing all that after I skate as well. Especially pilates for the ankles, knees and groin. Really helps with the day after pain that seems so common. And a drink made with a freshly squeezed lemon is great. I mix mine with cranberry juice. As you sip it; I swear you can feel the healing powers spread throughout your body.
That's really awesome! Happy to hear you're almost to 2 years. For me quitting drinking was a lifestyle change long over due and one that I'm glad I made. I have friends that drink, but they know I don't and they respect my choice and I respect their ability to choose what's best for them. I'm getting older and just trying to stay in as good physical and mental shape as possible so I can not only skate to the full potential that my aging body will let me, but also to be as good of a person as I can in my personal life too. I'm always stoked for anyone doing something good for themselves or others.

I agree too that stretching before and after skating helps alot.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:04:38 AM by Doughboy »

shark tits

« Reply #721 on: August 22, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
cheers to everyone getting sober. i've been of drinking since november 10th, 2010. definitely not clean the whole time but i've stayed sober. helps skating on the whole 'whatever you do today you'll prolly do tomorrow'. i think i prolly went a yr or 2 w/out landing a 3 flip just hoboing across the country, skating from trainyard to liquor store or whatever. got my 3 flip back, learned nollie big flips last yr amongst other things. i don't talk to girls as much but otherwise life is way better not drinking but like greco i don't care if anyone else does it. i just sucked at it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #722 on: August 22, 2014, 04:35:20 PM »
Not drinking has limited my ability to speak 'party'...like if a chick in a bikini comes up to me and says......'HAAAAYYYYY....what are you DOIN'?!?'......I'll reply....'a sudoku...'

Also I feel regret at all inclusives.....

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #723 on: September 13, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
Hello old dudes. Hope that old man life is treating everyone good. Fall is almost upon us and I'm slightly bummed to see summer go, but I'm looking forward to skating in hoodies and beanies. Hopefully now that my busy season of work is slowing down I'll have the time and energy to dust off that trusty old vx, venture into the city, get some worthy clips, and have something to look back on for some 2014 nostalgia. I really love the way vx footage looks in the fall. We'll see how that goes, hopefully good and I don't get wrecked too bad.
I've also been doing my part to help all the new found skater homies that I've been skating in my hometown with. I stuck to my plan of using the money from the decks and stuff I sold to all the kids and built this grindbox.

Nothing too fancy. It's 6' long, 2' wide, and 15" tall. I put some 3" caster wheels on the back of it so I can push it from my workshop to the flatground spot. It's kind of a pain in the ass to move, but I only have to push it about 4 blocks so it's not too bad. It was pretty fun spending a weekend in my workshop/mancave and building this thing. I must admit I felt pretty darn tough while building it, kinda like Dennis Busenitz in that video where he's building granite ledges and stuff and drives the one ledge to the HUF store. I'm not quite on that level of awesome though hahaha. Nice to see kids getting their first 50/50's and stuff. I try to give back what I can to skating because when I was growing up nodbody ever really did anything nice for me and my crew... That's pretty much what I've been up to. I've been watching Thrashin' alot for some reason lately. Yes that ridiculous movie from the 80's with that dude from Goonies. I don't know why but it's actually been getting me pretty pumped to skate. Watching that movie really makes me want to go dig up my old Valtera King Cobra from 1990 and build a launch ramp. I'll shut up now. Have a good weekend fellas! Stay young! Stay gold! Never be too old!  :)

Harsh_euro_barge

« Reply #724 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »
Set Up: 8.38 WKND
             54mm F4's
             Indy 149
             Bones swiss
             Jessup Grip
Preferred Terrain: Tranny, banks with curbs at the top
Favorite skaters: Schaaf, Jason Jessee, AVE, Ethan Fowler, Koichiro Uehara, Raney, Greyson, Pontus, Mackey, Leo Valls, Barley, Ben Gore
Favourite tricks: FS Ollies, feebles
Music: From 80's synth pop to noisecore - right now lots of drive like jehu, hot snakes, rites of spring, jazz june, firehose
Married: Yes
Kids: Daughter, 3
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:37:38 AM by Harsh_euro_barge »

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #725 on: September 14, 2014, 04:35:10 PM »
So happy Fall is upon us.  Unfortunately, winter is next.

Hit my head genuinely hard for the first time in a long time. Saw stars and had a mild case of whiplash that had my neck fucked up for the remainder of the week. Bounced back though and got 3 night sessions in after work/kid duty last week.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #726 on: September 14, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
Finally have started a more consistent schedule during the week that allows me to skate 2-3 times a week with my old skate buds so im very hyped. Does anyone here workout before they skate? Ive recently pugged up a bit after being on a slump on working out but have noticed now if i do a nice full body workout for like 10-15 min and stretching i feel incredible when i skate and dont feel the need to warm up.

jack2jack

• Rep: 3
« Reply #727 on: September 14, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »
^^ then u are warmed up...

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #728 on: September 15, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »
Finally have started a more consistent schedule during the week that allows me to skate 2-3 times a week with my old skate buds so im very hyped. Does anyone here workout before they skate? Ive recently pugged up a bit after being on a slump on working out but have noticed now if i do a nice full body workout for like 10-15 min and stretching i feel incredible when i skate and dont feel the need to warm up.
I'm on this too. I am a lot more spry when I workout

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #729 on: September 15, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »

Hit my head genuinely hard for the first time in a long time. Saw stars and had a mild case of whiplash that had my neck fucked up for the remainder of the week. Bounced back though and got 3 night sessions in after work/kid duty last week.

stay safe Satch!  glad youre ok. 

ive been biking to the park the past couple of weekends...definitely helps remove the cobwebs
hardly art, hardly starving

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #730 on: September 15, 2014, 02:15:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh dude, I was skating home from the bar last week, hit a crack and took the full impact on my face and head. Seriously sucked. I haven't slammed that hard in years. Blood everywhere.
Fuck sidewalks at night man.

Dubious

• Rep: 0
« Reply #731 on: September 17, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »
old lurker chiming in

Degree of decrepitude: 39
Setup: Antihero Cardiel 8", Real Tommy G 8.38", Tired 9", Elephant Rogue OG 10"
Terrain: tranny, banks, bowl, inept flatgound
Favorites: Cardiel, Guerrero, Blender, Dill, Kalis, Greyson, Ellington, BA, Jake, CK
Favorite tricks: Slappies, no complies, boneless, lipslides.. old man shit
Music: Psych, Stoner Rock, old metal, dub reggae
Married: yup
Kids: 1 son age 4

started in 86 or so.. quite in the big pants era and picked it up again about 3 years ago.  Old, sore and terrible.. but not getting worse.
Get out a good 3 or more times a week.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #732 on: September 17, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »
so everyone here will automatically get free shit from Tired Skateboards right?

here's hoping

Ccannon

• Rep: -23
« Reply #733 on: September 17, 2014, 11:48:36 AM »

Europe

Skateboarder

Fashionista

Dubious

« Reply #734 on: September 17, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »
Expand Quote
so everyone here will automatically get free shit from Tired Skateboards right?
[close]

here's hoping

sadly didn't get the hookup from Staba.. nice decks though!

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #735 on: September 18, 2014, 05:26:39 PM »
Question for all my fellow old guys. For the dudes with no kids yet, you think you will have any? I personally have no interest in having kids. Call me selfish but I like my freedom, and I see it as being responsible. No person should have a child unless they are able to be selfless.  Just curious what other older skatenerds feel about having kids.

Gay&Racist

• Rep: -1
« Reply #736 on: September 18, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »
Quit trying to meet little kids.  Perv!

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #737 on: September 18, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
Question for all my fellow old guys. For the dudes with no kids yet, you think you will have any? I personally have no interest in having kids. Call me selfish but I like my freedom, and I see it as being responsible. No person should have a child unless they are able to be selfless.  Just curious what other older skatenerds feel about having kids.

It isn't selfish at all, nothing wrong with doing what you want, it isn't for everybody. I love my kids, have 2, but they take an enormous amount of commitment on so many levels that if you're not "into" it, just don't do it, it's not fair to you or them.

sorry for sounding old.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #738 on: September 18, 2014, 06:06:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It isn't selfish at all, nothing wrong with doing what you want, it isn't for everybody. I love my kids, have 2, but they take an enormous amount of commitment on so many levels that if you're not "into" it, just don't do it, it's not fair to you or them.

sorry for sounding old.

Exactly how I see it. Thanks for the comment.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1014
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #739 on: September 18, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
Being married for a long time and managed to be kid free, we want some now but I love my freedom.
We've been trying but no luck, wears on you after a bit.
Funny how we waited for the house, savings account, steady income and maybe we missed our window.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #740 on: September 18, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »
Being married for a long time and managed to be kid free, we want some now but I love my freedom.
We've been trying but no luck, wears on you after a bit.
Funny how we waited for the house, savings account, steady income and maybe we missed our window.

The way I see it, good move on getting that squared off before you had one, kids are expensive! Good luck!

Dubious

« Reply #741 on: September 19, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »
my wife and i were married for over 10 years beofre we had our kid.  For us we jsut needed to be in THAT place before it was even considered..and at that point it felt right.

Lil dude is 4 and already obsessed with my decks.. plan to try and start him out next year.. Cant wait to shred with the lil man.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #742 on: September 19, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »
Question for all my fellow old guys. For the dudes with no kids yet, you think you will have any? I personally have no interest in having kids. Call me selfish but I like my freedom, and I see it as being responsible. No person should have a child unless they are able to be selfless.?  Just curious what other older skatenerds feel about having kids.

Don't have any kids. Don't want any kids. Unless my feelings change, probably won't have any. Luckily the wife (we're not actually married, but been together 16 years) is on the same page, so there are no conflicts there. We have 2 cats. Those are our children. I guess it is selfish; but I'm fine with that. My mom is a little bummed she won't get to be a grandma; but she'll have to get over it. My sister feels the same way and doesn't want kids either. It does seem like it would be very rewarding if done with 100% devotion though. Maybe when I win the lottery.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #743 on: September 19, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Question for all my fellow old guys. For the dudes with no kids yet, you think you will have any? I personally have no interest in having kids. Call me selfish but I like my freedom, and I see it as being responsible. No person should have a child unless they are able to be selfless.?  Just curious what other older skatenerds feel about having kids.
[close]

Don't have any kids. Don't want any kids. Unless my feelings change, probably won't have any. Luckily the wife (we're not actually married, but been together 16 years) is on the same page, so there are no conflicts there. We have 2 cats. Those are our children. I guess it is selfish; but I'm fine with that. My mom is a little bummed she won't get to be a grandma; but she'll have to get over it. My sister feels the same way and doesn't want kids either. It does seem like it would be very rewarding if done with 100% devotion though. Maybe when I win the lottery.

Luck for you. I had to part ways recently with someone I had been with for three years. Initially, we were on the same page, we started to have different views on the subject, total deal breaker.

It's pretty sad that I feel the same way, not to say money will solve everything and I would actually have a kid anyhow with tons of loot but shits hard out there, an only getting harder.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #744 on: September 20, 2014, 07:06:19 AM »
Kidless here, & the wife and I are definitely not down with breeding. What's nice is now that we're in our 40s people have finally stopped saying shit like "you still have time to change your mind," etc. We often sit around laughing at how miserable all our friends with kids seem: joyless, harried, exhausted, poor. Then we roll another joint, fuck one more time, & then I go skate. I don't know anyone with kids who lives like that...:)

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #745 on: September 20, 2014, 07:19:25 AM »
We often sit around laughing at how miserable all our friends with kids seem: joyless, harried, exhausted, poor. Then we roll another joint, fuck one more time, & then I go skate. I don't know anyone with kids who lives like that...:)

I'm with you Getty. I see people with kids and I'm like, jesus, I don't envy that one bit. And out of all the friends I do have that have kids, I would say 30% at most seem super happy about the decision, those are usually people that come from some type of money.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #746 on: September 20, 2014, 08:06:24 AM »
I have to answer this stupid question every week and it's mildly annoying....no kids....

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #747 on: September 20, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »
Kidless here, & the wife and I are definitely not down with breeding. What's nice is now that we're in our 40s people have finally stopped saying shit like "you still have time to change your mind," etc. We often sit around laughing at how miserable all our friends with kids seem: joyless, harried, exhausted, poor. Then we roll another joint, fuck one more time, & then I go skate. I don't know anyone with kids who lives like that...:)

Interesting. I feel like most people I know who have kids are totally fucking exhausted, but generally quite happy, fullfiled, and productive. I planned to have a kid, but not when I did, and certainly not one with a rare genetic disorder, which was what I got. The first year and a half of my son's life has been incredibly intense and totally overwhelming at times. But I've also found bringing life into the world and nurturing it to be an incredible creative motivating force.

I'm making less art, but what I do make is of a superior quality. I've made strides in my professional life I never would have imagined, and I think that is due at least in part to the fact that having a child made me realize some latent potential more swiftly than I might have otherwise in order to make more money( To put it bluntly). And I started skateboarding again after over a decade off the board in the first few months of my son's life. I needed somewhere to put the stress, so I turned to my old friend and couldn't be happier with the result. I'm absolutely terrible at skateboarding now, but I just don't give a fuck. It's great.

Parenthood is different things at different times: often totally surreal. For the first several months We would smoke a joint after lil man went to bed and get all stoned-serious like: "I can't believe we made a PERSON".  I spend some days walking around feeling like a total fucking zombie, but somehow manage to keep it together, and hopefully get a skate in after the boy goes down. I sometimes find myself envious of friends who don't have kids, or friends who DO have kids, but whose kids DONT have a rare uncurable genetic mutation. But it's a futile exercise. Because when the day is done I'm incredibly lucky to know the child I made and live with the woman I made him with, and that's that.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #748 on: September 20, 2014, 09:53:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Interesting. I feel like most people I know who have kids are totally fucking exhausted, but generally quite happy, fullfiled, and productive. I planned to have a kid, but not when I did, and certainly not one with a rare genetic disorder, which was what I got. The first year and a half of my son's life has been incredibly intense and totally overwhelming at times. But I've also found bringing life into the world and nurturing it to be an incredible creative motivating force.

I'm making less art, but what I do make is of a superior quality. I've made strides in my professional life I never would have imagined, and I think that is due at least in part to the fact that having a child made me realize some latent potential more swiftly than I might have otherwise in order to make more money( To put it bluntly). And I started skateboarding again after over a decade off the board in the first few months of my son's life. I needed somewhere to put the stress, so I turned to my old friend and couldn't be happier with the result. I'm absolutely terrible at skateboarding now, but I just don't give a fuck. It's great.

Parenthood is different things at different times: often totally surreal. For the first several months We would smoke a joint after lil man went to bed and get all stoned-serious like: "I can't believe we made a PERSON".  I spend some days walking around feeling like a total fucking zombie, but somehow manage to keep it together, and hopefully get a skate in after the boy goes down. I sometimes find myself envious of friends who don't have kids, or friends who DO have kids, but whose kids DONT have a rare uncurable genetic mutation. But it's a futile exercise. Because when the day is done I'm incredibly lucky to know the child I made and live with the woman I made him with, and that's that.
Fuck yeah Satchel.
I'm with you all the way. My daughter is 5, and everyday she amazes me more and more.
Now that she's older I skate so much more(from age 2-4 I skated only a few times a year). She's into skating also. Like this morning she woke me up, to tell me she wanted to go to the skatepark. I was like that's what you want to do today? Offered other suggestions, but no she wanted to go to the skatepark. So to quote you," Because when the day is done I'm incredibly lucky to know the child I made and live with the woman I made him with, and that's that."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:24:07 AM by Stanley Spadowski »
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1014
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #749 on: September 21, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
Always up early and looking for spots by myself on Sunday's.
Fun day today
http://youtu.be/TcFSz-Tbu7Y