Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301612 times)

Stanley Spadowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #750 on: September 21, 2014, 06:35:34 PM »
Always up early and looking for spots by myself on Sunday's.
Fun day today
http://youtu.be/TcFSz-Tbu7Y
Sick stuff.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #751 on: September 21, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »
Always up early and looking for spots by myself on Sunday's.
Fun day today
http://youtu.be/TcFSz-Tbu7Y

had it on repeat, back to back wallrides  8)

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #752 on: September 22, 2014, 12:28:38 AM »
Kidless here, & the wife and I are definitely not down with breeding. What's nice is now that we're in our 40s people have finally stopped saying shit like "you still have time to change your mind," etc. We often sit around laughing at how miserable all our friends with kids seem: joyless, harried, exhausted, poor. Then we roll another joint, fuck one more time, & then I go skate. I don't know anyone with kids who lives like that...:)

seems to me like you're trying to convince yourself?
also that word "breeding" is just awful.

to each his own man! I got 2 boys and they make me happy in a million ways.
I imagine this seems weird to you, but growing old without kids would just seem pointless to me. I don't know, it just feels good to stop being so self-centered and put another being(s) first.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #753 on: September 22, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »
on that subject, I have to say this made laugh..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFQfylQ2Jgg
(People with no kids don't know!)

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #754 on: September 22, 2014, 08:32:25 AM »
Got a wallride on Saturday. Could barely walk on Sunday. Took the same slam to my left hip about 15 times.

Our next video already has a name: Pushin 40.

new pushin40 video co

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #755 on: September 22, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Kidless here, & the wife and I are definitely not down with breeding. What's nice is now that we're in our 40s people have finally stopped saying shit like "you still have time to change your mind," etc. We often sit around laughing at how miserable all our friends with kids seem: joyless, harried, exhausted, poor. Then we roll another joint, fuck one more time, & then I go skate. I don't know anyone with kids who lives like that...:)

[close]

Interesting. I feel like most people I know who have kids are totally fucking exhausted, but generally quite happy, fullfiled, and productive. I planned to have a kid, but not when I did, and certainly not one with a rare genetic disorder, which was what I got. The first year and a half of my son's life has been incredibly intense and totally overwhelming at times. But I've also found bringing life into the world and nurturing it to be an incredible creative motivating force.

I'm making less art, but what I do make is of a superior quality. I've made strides in my professional life I never would have imagined, and I think that is due at least in part to the fact that having a child made me realize some latent potential more swiftly than I might have otherwise in order to make more money( To put it bluntly). And I started skateboarding again after over a decade off the board in the first few months of my son's life. I needed somewhere to put the stress, so I turned to my old friend and couldn't be happier with the result. I'm absolutely terrible at skateboarding now, but I just don't give a fuck. It's great.

Parenthood is different things at different times: often totally surreal. For the first several months We would smoke a joint after lil man went to bed and get all stoned-serious like: "I can't believe we made a PERSON".?  I spend some days walking around feeling like a total fucking zombie, but somehow manage to keep it together, and hopefully get a skate in after the boy goes down. I sometimes find myself envious of friends who don't have kids, or friends who DO have kids, but whose kids DONT have a rare uncurable genetic mutation. But it's a futile exercise. Because when the day is done I'm incredibly lucky to know the child I made and live with the woman I made him with, and that's that.

I get what you're saying. My little dude was born 6 weeks premature after a complicated pregnancy (shrinking cervix, thus being held in by a cerclage. wife ? had to stay home from work and lay down 24-7 to not put any pressure on it etc). He was in the NICU for 3-4 weeks and weighed 4.12 pounds. and then when we got him home, he suffered from baby acid reflux, which is a nightmare. If they're awake, they're screaming, period. Soy formula cured that and he's been a happy little dude since. He was born in May so he's 4.5 months now. He's a happy lil guy until he gets tired, then it's cranky city.

When my wife first brought up kids, I know I was definitely like "whaaaat? how am I gonna do anything if I have kids etc etc". But you figure it out. My skate sessions generally are at night, once she will watch him/put him to bed. I feel more whole having made a child that is for sure. Every day he does/learns something new and it just makes you feel awesome inside. Especially when he looks at you and smiles or he's upset and you hold him and it soothes him, you feel awesome.

I liked to party hardy until the day I found out he was in there, I went home that night, slammed a few beers in a "oh shit, this is some serious responsibility" but not since that day have I felt panicky. I went out, bought him Indy onesies and just really let it all soak in about how rad it's gonna be to have a kid. I've probably only had 7 beers this year (I found out about him on January 1st) and I feel better for it. I don't want to be that guy who's kid says "my dad was a drunk asshole" later in his life. I've got plan to encourage so many things, it makes life feel a lot more worth it. I want to skate more,sure, but I want to be a good dad first you know? I've shown him a lot of skate vids already (I think he's just more amused by the movement/colors/sounds really!) but I am psyched.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #756 on: September 22, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
I'm in my mid-twenties and you dudes are giving me a more positive outlook for the future. My knees feel like they're in their mid-thirties but I'm sure I'll adjust to that at some point.

shark tits

« Reply #757 on: September 22, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
Got a wallride on Saturday. Could barely walk on Sunday. Took the same slam to my left hip about 15 times.

Our next video already has a name: Pushin 40.

new pushin40 video co
that's a mighty fine wallride!
to doublesteveburger, i've had a few friends who had lower extremities injuries in their early to mid 20s. one of em took time off and now his ankles are fine, other one doesn't skate too often [he plays frolf, unforgivable] but he's still good whenever he comes out. i think they prolly just got fat off beer and it taxed their legs.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #758 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »
Fuck yeah Fang. That's a rad picture. And baby acid reflux is the worst, holy shit! My guy had to go on some special formula and nexium. Prior to that he was a screaming mess constantly throwing up and always miserable. Now at 18 months he's off the nexium transitioning to solid foods eating guacamole and pasta with beans and I'm fucking psyched.

I should note that as misty-eyes as my first post on this subject sounds, I spent the next day dealing with a crabby, teething monster and ended up exhausted and angry with no energy to skate.

It's all in the balance I guess...

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #759 on: October 09, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
so a year after breaking myself utterly and completely, I finally got the plate and screws taken out of my ankle!
rad feeling and I hope to celebrate by cruising around soon....except I have to wait like 2 months for the bone to heal and winter is coming....but fuck it, I'm stoked anyways. after all this shit I probably won't skate like I used to, but I look forward to cruising around, powersliding and slash grinding every once in a while at least.

Nanda Zinger

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #760 on: October 09, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »
so a year after breaking myself utterly and completely, I finally got the plate and screws taken out of my ankle!
rad feeling and I hope to celebrate by cruising around soon....except I have to wait like 2 months for the bone to heal and winter is coming....but fuck it, I'm stoked anyways. after all this shit I probably won't skate like I used to, but I look forward to cruising around, powersliding and slash grinding every once in a while at least.
i waited too long to get my plates and screws removed, so the bone grew over the plates making it impossible to remove. been 15 years, kinda scared about how it will feel when im older.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #761 on: October 09, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i waited too long to get my plates and screws removed, so the bone grew over the plates making it impossible to remove. been 15 years, kinda scared about how it will feel when im older.

that's why I had it removed....plus I could feel one of the screws rubbing against the interior of some shoes, it was a little painful.....just didn't feel comfortable

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #762 on: October 09, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I imagine this seems weird to you, but growing old without kids would just seem pointless to me. I don't know, it just feels good to stop being so self-centered and put another being(s) first.

to each their own but that seems a bit narrow-minded

glad you are healing up though Frenchie
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #763 on: October 09, 2014, 11:42:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

to each their own but that seems a bit narrow-minded

glad you are healing up though Frenchie

thanks man!
about the kids comment: that's just how I would feel. It's not for everyone and as I said, I totally understand if it seems weird to some people.

on another note, my eldest son just started playing football (soccer) this year, and shows no interest in skating at all. on the one hand I'm a little bummed but I'm also stoked he's already choosing his own shit.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #764 on: October 10, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »
I don't know where to put this. Maybe I should start a new thread. Maybe in Things you are not stoked on. Maybe it doesn't even need to be written. I don't have a Facebook or IG (I might be the only one); so I can't post it there. Here goes.
The past 4 days have been filled with tears. My friend died. My good friend Marc "Shockus" Delellis died skateboarding. Sunday morning he slammed, hit his head, skating his favorite place on earth, the OB skatepark. Monday night he passed away. It still doesn't seem real to me. I've known him about 15 years. One of the nicest people I ever met. He always had a smile on his face. You could not be bummed in his presence. Thrasher and Transworld had some nice things to say on their websites this week.
Below is a video me and a friend made back in 2011. Washed Up Warriors 2, The Second Bumming. Marc has a little line at 15:50 at his beloved OB park, in one of the friend montages. When this video premiered at one of the local bars; and Marc's part came on the screen, it received the loudest cheers of the night. Everyone loved him.
WASHED UP WARRIORS PRESENT: 'THE SECOND BUMMING' FULL LENGTH VIDEO on Vimeo
Just getting that clip of him was a struggle. He loved to skate. But was more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it. I was filming one of Marc's best friends, McKinney, doing that judo. He has the clips after Marc in that video. I kept bugging Marc "let me film a trick of you for the video". He wasn't having it. So I just started filming him not skating and getting all these face shots. I told him "you're going to be in our video regardless. Even if it's just face shots. So you might as well get a skate clip" So finally he gave in and let me film that line of him. If I remember right, he did it first try.
I'm going to miss him so much. This whole nightmare has made me question a lot of things. Do I even want to skate anymore? Should I wear a helmet? I've hit my head probably 10 times over the years. Had to get stitches twice. It's scary to think that one slam and you could die. The area of the park where he fell is like 3 or 4 feet tall. Goes to show it could happen anywhere.
I know Marc led a full life in his 39 years here. He travelled the world over, multiple times. Listening to his stories was the best. Like his first time in China; a little Chinese man started petting his arm. I guess he had never seen something so big and hairy. If you've watched a skate video in the last 15 years; you probably saw his filming work. Maybe his mission was complete, so God called him home. That doesn't make it any easier for those of us left behind, though.
I love you Marc. I miss you. And hope to see you again some day.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #765 on: October 10, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
but growing old without kids would just seem pointless to me.

Cool, man! The main thing is to find what works for you - sounds like you have. Big props to all the skate dads here - I'd never seriously disrespect dudes who are trying to raise kids... you guys are actually inspiring as hell in lots of ways, even though I wouldn't want your life.:)

But I'm definitely a weirdo. I don't know anyone else who lives like me who's got kids, true - but honestly, my lifestyle is probably more appropriate to either a 15-year-old or a homeless person. I guess I'm somewhere between the two.:)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:19:13 AM by Getty »

shark tits

« Reply #766 on: October 10, 2014, 07:06:51 PM »
I don't know where to put this. Maybe I should start a new thread. Maybe in Things you are not stoked on. Maybe it doesn't even need to be written. I don't have a Facebook or IG (I might be the only one); so I can't post it there. Here goes.
The past 4 days have been filled with tears. My friend died. My good friend Marc "Shockus" Delellis died skateboarding. Sunday morning he slammed, hit his head, skating his favorite place on earth, the OB skatepark. Monday night he passed away. It still doesn't seem real to me. I've known him about 15 years. One of the nicest people I ever met. He always had a smile on his face. You could not be bummed in his presence. Thrasher and Transworld had some nice things to say on their websites this week.
Below is a video me and a friend made back in 2011. Washed Up Warriors 2, The Second Bumming. Marc has a little line at 15:50 at his beloved OB park, in one of the friend montages. When this video premiered at one of the local bars; and Marc's part came on the screen, it received the loudest cheers of the night. Everyone loved him.
Just getting that clip of him was a struggle. He loved to skate. But was more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it. I was filming one of Marc's best friends, McKinney, doing that judo. He has the clips after Marc in that video. I kept bugging Marc "let me film a trick of you for the video". He wasn't having it. So I just started filming him not skating and getting all these face shots. I told him "you're going to be in our video regardless. Even if it's just face shots. So you might as well get a skate clip" So finally he gave in and let me film that line of him. If I remember right, he did it first try.
I'm going to miss him so much. This whole nightmare has made me question a lot of things. Do I even want to skate anymore? Should I wear a helmet? I've hit my head probably 10 times over the years. Had to get stitches twice. It's scary to think that one slam and you could die. The area of the park where he fell is like 3 or 4 feet tall. Goes to show it could happen anywhere.
I know Marc led a full life in his 39 years here. He travelled the world over, multiple times. Listening to his stories was the best. Like his first time in China; a little Chinese man started petting his arm. I guess he had never seen something so big and hairy. If you've watched a skate video in the last 15 years; you probably saw his filming work. Maybe his mission was complete, so God called him home. That doesn't make it any easier for those of us left behind, though.

first, my heart goes out to ya, guy. i've lost some dear friends over the yrs and it's one of the rough realities. before i ever picked up a skate [actually i got a nash for christmas but it didn't roll] an acquaintance was run over and killed skating. my other friend watched it but somehow i think i was more traumatized. my 6th grade yr i'd just imagine it over and over.
so i would just say do what makes you happy, apparently you can die getting punched but i've been in a million fights and still here and that's negative. car accidents kill more people than anything but nobody 2nd guesses getting behind the wheel.
sorry your friend is gone, don't let it hold you back.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #767 on: October 11, 2014, 01:34:24 AM »
damn that's heavy.
Sorry for your loss man.

I've been having the same helmet debate in my head lately, since my heavy crash last year. I want to be there for my kids in 20 years.
There's no easy answer I guess, but I have to say the no pads/no helmet trend of the last few years is beginning to make me uncomfortable. I mentioned it in the In Transition Berrics thread, watching Rune skate huge oververt concrete shit without any pads is pushing it a bit far for me...

RIP for your friend.

(oh and Getty, glad to see you understand my point of view! weirdos unite!!)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:45:03 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #768 on: October 11, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »
R.I.P.....

My helmet routine makes no real sense but if I skate a coping bowl....helmet....but if I skate street...none....plus i try to be super careful about
collisions now....when in doubt....I don't drop in....skating street is safer than a bowl when it comes to head injuries...

It's stupid...but I plan on wearing one at some point...I wear one biking and snowboarding....not sure when though....TA wears one for Christ sakes....Im just waiting for a warning sign....which I admit is careless....

We lost one of our OG's a few years back....in our area there are lots of 40 year olds...more 30's...this guy was in his 50's and not some Johnny come lately midlife crisis guys....he skated all the way through....

One of the things I'm starting to see more of now with older skaters and i think it's disproportionate to the rest of the population....suicides and OD's....I've seen like 4 guys go in the last month....

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #769 on: October 11, 2014, 03:52:22 PM »
RIP

R.I.P.....

My helmet routine makes no real sense but if I skate a coping bowl....helmet....but if I skate street...none....plus i try to be super careful about
collisions now....when in doubt....I don't drop in....skating street is safer than a bowl when it comes to head injuries...

It's stupid...but I plan on wearing one at some point...I wear one biking and snowboarding....not sure when though....TA wears one for Christ sakes....Im just waiting for a warning sign....which I admit is careless....

We lost one of our OG's a few years back....in our area there are lots of 40 year olds...more 30's...this guy was in his 50's and not some Johnny come lately midlife crisis guys....he skated all the way through....

One of the things I'm starting to see more of now with older skaters and i think it's disproportionate to the rest of the population....suicides and OD's....I've seen like 4 guys go in the last month....

Did this person die skating or an OD?

DONT_CARE

• Rep: -9
« Reply #770 on: October 11, 2014, 04:59:59 PM »
Shockus Passed away from skating, OB park the one where he had his tricks in Washed Up Warriors. Marc Was one of the best people and didn't deserve it, he always had a smile on his face and would probably be the next person running SLAP or some Really cool thing with Thrasher of he didn't want to manage C1RCA anymore. I miss him more and would do anything to shred with him and talk to him about skating, cameras and just life.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #771 on: October 11, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »

You have the poor part right but get all the fuck out with joyless bit. It's not like kids suck the life out of you. Your friends were probably not happy to begin with.

slothflip

• Rep: -9
« Reply #772 on: October 11, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »
vibes for your buddy fellas, that is some tough stuff. as a fellow 39 yo who still goes after it HARD sans helmet, this is particularly hard to hear.  not that it couldn't happen to any 16 yo either, the difference now is I have kids, wife. etc. and obviously need to be here for them. maybe time to reevaluate...

it probably wont mean much at the moment and I realize its quite obvious however.... your buddy died SKATEBOARDING, doing something he presumably loved and was passionate about.

not the worst way to check out imo 

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #773 on: October 11, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »
Shockus Passed away from skating, OB park the one where he had his tricks in Washed Up Warriors. Marc Was one of the best people and didn't deserve it, he always had a smile on his face and would probably be the next person running SLAP or some Really cool thing with Thrasher of he didn't want to manage C1RCA anymore. I miss him more and would do anything to shred with him and talk to him about skating, cameras and just life.

Sorry, I knew that. Question was for j..soy about his 50 year old friend he mentioned.

somejackass

« Reply #774 on: October 11, 2014, 08:06:32 PM »

somejackass

« Reply #775 on: October 11, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »

this story is sad. ive heard a lot about it. it sounds like a lot of people really loved this dude. it's insane to think how easy it could happen to anyone skating.sorry for your loss man.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #776 on: October 13, 2014, 09:00:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow youre in your 40's and still think bragging about smoking weed is kool!? If anything im sure all your friends with kids probably consider you guys the miserable ones, still needing to smoke weed to have a good time.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #777 on: October 13, 2014, 02:16:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wow youre in your 40's and still think bragging about smoking weed is kool!? If anything im sure all your friends with kids probably consider you guys the miserable ones, still needing to smoke weed to have a good time.

i don't think he said he needed to smoke weed to have a good time.  he just sounded like he was trying to rub it in. 

the fact is, there are pluses and minus' to both.  obviously people who either have kids or don't have kids will argue that their chosen lifestyle is the best. 

i have to admit, i don't envy my family members or friends with kids.   i like kids.  i like my nephews.  it's nice to see them for a bit and then when the tantrums and drama starts i can say "see ya later".   my sister and brother in law spend every free moment of their lives going from soccer games to baseball games to 'get togethers' with other parents with kids...    when my sister sees me going on spur of the moment trips and vacations she says she is jealous and can't imagine what it would be like to just go away.  then again, obviously i'm missing out on the whole child bond thing / family etc..  maybe later in life i'll wish i had kids to take care of me.

i just think it's simple minded to think one way or the other is best. 

i do think not having kids is something that's often idiotically discriminated against.  i think sometimes people who have kids, who are unhappy with their lives, try to convince themselves that they are happier than people without kids because it makes them uncomfortable. 

the grass is always greener.

life is suffering
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #778 on: October 13, 2014, 04:17:56 PM »
If anything im sure all your friends with kids probably consider you guys the miserable ones, still needing to smoke weed to have a good time.

Could very well be (though that's not what they tell us...:)) But the truth is that few are cut out for a life of weed, skating and sex. Lots of folks seem to have this idea that there are other, more important, things to do.

Always seemed crazy to me, but hey - to each his own.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #779 on: October 18, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
At 35, it still feels good to learn new tricks.
http://instagram.com/p/uTZmWgof-8/?modal=true
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"