Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301503 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #810 on: October 31, 2014, 06:16:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
these Magenta vids are getting me way hyped lately!

Magenta's OLD WOOPS NEW GROOVE

from to 25 to 39, I was basically a tranny-only dude as my knees couldn't handle street anymore....but breaking my leg last year has pretty much soured me on concrete parks.  I don't even wanna fuck with that shit anymore. So I think the next phase for my decrepit self is going to be strictly downhill skating, powerslides, ollies....and that's pretty much it. I just wanna get the feeling of cruising around town, with a minimum risk of injury (which is close to impossible I know, but I can't give up skating entirely)
[close]

That sucks about your knees and leg. I would be content with slappies, wallies, wall rides and hill bombs until rigamortis sets in. I live in a flat city so hill bombs wont be happening for the moment. That Magenta vid is great. Love how close the filmer gets to the action.
[close]

well I'm not complaining.... I had my share of injuries, but that's the burden of any aging skater I guess, except maybe the super-gifted ones. at least I can still cruise around! and I live in Brussels now, which has pretty cool hills. only problem is the pavement is pretty shitty and I miss Paris in that respect, but I'll just buy some 62 mm wheels or something when I'm all healed up!
(oh and I agree: the Magenta filmer is plain awesome)

I turned 38 this year and it's been a strange time for me skate-wise.

I had been skating almost nothing but tranny since around 2001 but about 3 years ago I started getting bored with my scene and made an effort to skate some other more street oriented parks in the area. It was a bummer to find that I could barely 50-50 a ledge anymore but I started to really appreciate more tech/bleeding edge type skating as opposed to the Anti-Creature stuff I had spent the last decade aspiring to. So while I now have kids and skate less than ever I think about skating (and follow it online) as much or more so than ever.

On the other hand, I now feel like my body is truly starting to be not up to skating. Now that it's getting colder my knees don't seem to want to bend. I couldn't even frontside slash the other day I was so stiff legged. I seem to be lacking that fast twitch explosive response bit skating requires. Hopefully it's just lack of practice - I did miss out on a lot of skating this year with 2 separate rib injuries. On the other hand, maybe my time is running out? I suppose I would still enjoy just pushing around town if that's all I could do.

It's just that I have had a small number of great skating days this year and I find myself chasing that feeling - a pure unadulterated joy - that I get far less in my "adult" pursuits.

twistingtheknife666

• Rep: 0
« Reply #811 on: October 31, 2014, 11:39:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
these Magenta vids are getting me way hyped lately!

Magenta's OLD WOOPS NEW GROOVE

from to 25 to 39, I was basically a tranny-only dude as my knees couldn't handle street anymore....but breaking my leg last year has pretty much soured me on concrete parks.  I don't even wanna fuck with that shit anymore. So I think the next phase for my decrepit self is going to be strictly downhill skating, powerslides, ollies....and that's pretty much it. I just wanna get the feeling of cruising around town, with a minimum risk of injury (which is close to impossible I know, but I can't give up skating entirely)
[close]

That sucks about your knees and leg. I would be content with slappies, wallies, wall rides and hill bombs until rigamortis sets in. I live in a flat city so hill bombs wont be happening for the moment. That Magenta vid is great. Love how close the filmer gets to the action.
[close]

well I'm not complaining.... I had my share of injuries, but that's the burden of any aging skater I guess, except maybe the super-gifted ones. at least I can still cruise around! and I live in Brussels now, which has pretty cool hills. only problem is the pavement is pretty shitty and I miss Paris in that respect, but I'll just buy some 62 mm wheels or something when I'm all healed up!
(oh and I agree: the Magenta filmer is plain awesome)
[close]

I turned 38 this year and it's been a strange time for me skate-wise.

I had been skating almost nothing but tranny since around 2001 but about 3 years ago I started getting bored with my scene and made an effort to skate some other more street oriented parks in the area. It was a bummer to find that I could barely 50-50 a ledge anymore but I started to really appreciate more tech/bleeding edge type skating as opposed to the Anti-Creature stuff I had spent the last decade aspiring to. So while I now have kids and skate less than ever I think about skating (and follow it online) as much or more so than ever.

On the other hand, I now feel like my body is truly starting to be not up to skating. Now that it's getting colder my knees don't seem to want to bend. I couldn't even frontside slash the other day I was so stiff legged. I seem to be lacking that fast twitch explosive response bit skating requires. Hopefully it's just lack of practice - I did miss out on a lot of skating this year with 2 separate rib injuries. On the other hand, maybe my time is running out? I suppose I would still enjoy just pushing around town if that's all I could do.

It's just that I have had a small number of great skating days this year and I find myself chasing that feeling - a pure unadulterated joy - that I get far less in my "adult" pursuits.

Broke my ankle skating a 5' mini ramp when I was 28, it's never been the same since. To make matters worse I broke it again about 3 months after it healed the first time...riding a motorcycle. I've lost some pop, which sucks, it's not so much ollie height, but I just don't feel like I can really snap it as hard. Sort of weird to explain. It also swells up a bit everyday, but I have no pain and full range of motion, so I'll deal with it. My doctor wanted to do surgery but I'm afraid it'll just make it worse and since it doesn't bother me I've not worried about it. One thing that sucks is I have to be super careful about stepping on anything at a weird angle, stepping off on a curb or anything like that will basically give me a minor sprain for a few days. It helps if I wear an ankle brace, but all of the ones that I've tried feel super uncomfortable so I usually don't wear one.

I will say I'm stiffer and it takes me way longer to warm up now when skating. I usually feel comfortable after about 20 minutes of pushing around and taking it easy at first, then I feel good to go. Of course by "go" I mean skating ledges, ditches, red curbs and occasionally stepping it up a bit if I'm feeling really good. Stretching helps keep me loose before I skate, and I believe it helps keep me a little looser after skating, but nothing gets me loose as quick as just pushing to spots. Anymore when I go skating I just step out my door and go skate around. Really reminds me of being 13 again, being miles from home, skating everywhere, just hitting spots as I go. Rarely drive to a spot unless it's really out of the way or the park.   

On another note, the cold absolutely affects my joints. Ibuprofen and drinking tons of water seems to help. I've also noticed that a really long hot shower before I go skating in cooler weather seems to help. I get up around 6am on Sundays, take a long hot shower and go out for a few hours, I can absolutely tell a difference. Counter-productive I suppose, but oh well. When I was 16 or so I always remember thinking I'd quit skating when I was 35...I'll turn 38 in December and now I'm hoping I can at least cruise around doing slappys until I'm 50.

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #812 on: November 01, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »
The next division would be retirement. These guys wouldn't want to embarrass them selves with a wheelchair division. Look at Duane Peters, He's in his mid 50's and doing insane shit. His career could end & he's recovered from some gnarly injuries. I see where you're coming from but there isn't going to be any new division for even older dudes.

Tommy G was asked if theyre going to start a Master division for street? He just laughed, & said No one wants to watch us Ollie hips & do axles stalls. He's right thou, as cool as it sounds, It wouldn't be entertaining. Bowls & Vert are a different beast, the older pros can still do some rad tricks

See if you can wrap your old brains around this one.
The old are only getting older. Is there an official age to get in this old dude skater club? I'm thinking it's 30. Now think about this. You could have someone who is 30 years old and has been skating for 20 years. And they would never have ridden anything but "popsicle" shapes. Kinda trippy. Maybe it's time to redefine what it means to be old. Like you have to be able to answer the question "where were you when Video Days came out". As much as it sucks getting old and decrepit; I'm still very glad that I was around to witness the insane progression during the late 80's / early 90s. Whether it be board shapes, tricks, fashion, whatever.
Here's another one. Back in the day, contests only had one group: the pros. Then when dudes like Cab got older and still wanted to compete, they made a veterans division. Nowadays there are 3 divisions: pros, masters, legends. If these old guys keep going; a fourth division is going to have to be made.
Just some thoughts.
Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

Harry in Your Pocket

• Rep: -20
« Reply #813 on: November 14, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »
Where to begin? The last time I was on a board was in 1987. My first board was a Santa Cruz, but I broke it launching off some stairs (5 at the most) at a Middle School near where I lived. Next I had a Lance Mountain deck, cant even remember which one that was. Finally I had a Mark Gonzalez Vision board. Then I stopped. in 1987. Didn't watch videos, quit reading Thrasher, following skaters, etc.

Flash-forward to three weeks ago. My middle son has been saving up for a skateboard so I took him to the local skate shop. It brought back some memories, and I was like "fuck-it" laid down about $110 for my own setup. I'm hugely fat now so I asked for a bigger board and got a Krooked 8.5. Then proceeded to take two of my boys around to me and my friends old "spots".

It's like waking up from being frozen. Man has this sport changed. I mean holy shit...what the hell am I supposed to do? I'm teaching the boys how to ollie, I'm trying to grind some curbs. I've bailed a couple of times bad enough for the boys to stop and look at me scared that I'm dead and ask if I'm OK. It hurts, but I always have a smile on my face. I'm going back and trying to catch up on all this stuff. I think I'm just gonna skate a little bit, maybe lose some weight. At this point my kids don't hate my guts and want me to disappear so skating has become an activity that I get to share with my boys. And, that is a gift that I cannot fathom. The joy of being back on the board, the joy of landing something (anything) and skating away. The joy of being with my kids and laughing and talking with them and spending time in their presence in such a fun rad way.

Sorry I was gone for so long. Sorry I missed what I've missed. Glad my boys were able to get their 43 year old obese father back onto a board and, if only for a few minutes, to feel that magic again.   

I'll be around.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #814 on: November 14, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »
Where to begin? The last time I was on a board was in 1987. My first board was a Santa Cruz, but I broke it launching off some stairs (5 at the most) at a Middle School near where I lived. Next I had a Lance Mountain deck, cant even remember which one that was. Finally I had a Mark Gonzalez Vision board. Then I stopped. in 1987. Didn't watch videos, quit reading Thrasher, following skaters, etc.

Flash-forward to three weeks ago. My middle son has been saving up for a skateboard so I took him to the local skate shop. It brought back some memories, and I was like "fuck-it" laid down about $110 for my own setup. I'm hugely fat now so I asked for a bigger board and got a Krooked 8.5. Then proceeded to take two of my boys around to me and my friends old "spots".

It's like waking up from being frozen. Man has this sport changed. I mean holy shit...what the hell am I supposed to do? I'm teaching the boys how to ollie, I'm trying to grind some curbs. I've bailed a couple of times bad enough for the boys to stop and look at me scared that I'm dead and ask if I'm OK. It hurts, but I always have a smile on my face. I'm going back and trying to catch up on all this stuff. I think I'm just gonna skate a little bit, maybe lose some weight. At this point my kids don't hate my guts and want me to disappear so skating has become an activity that I get to share with my boys. And, that is a gift that I cannot fathom. The joy of being back on the board, the joy of landing something (anything) and skating away. The joy of being with my kids and laughing and talking with them and spending time in their presence in such a fun rad way.

Sorry I was gone for so long. Sorry I missed what I've missed. Glad my boys were able to get their 43 year old obese father back onto a board and, if only for a few minutes, to feel that magic again.   

I'll be around.

Fuck yeah, man. Raddest thing I've read on the forum in awhile. Welcome back!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #815 on: November 14, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
Yes Harry....welcome back....

While you were gone Gator murdered someone.....

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #816 on: November 15, 2014, 05:52:04 AM »
Broke my ankle skating a 5' mini ramp when I was 28, it's never been the same since. To make matters worse I broke it again about 3 months after it healed the first time...riding a motorcycle. I've lost some pop, which sucks, it's not so much ollie height, but I just don't feel like I can really snap it as hard. Sort of weird to explain. It also swells up a bit everyday, but I have no pain and full range of motion, so I'll deal with it. My doctor wanted to do surgery but I'm afraid it'll just make it worse and since it doesn't bother me I've not worried about it. One thing that sucks is I have to be super careful about stepping on anything at a weird angle, stepping off on a curb or anything like that will basically give me a minor sprain for a few days. It helps if I wear an ankle brace, but all of the ones that I've tried feel super uncomfortable so I usually don't wear one.

I will say I'm stiffer and it takes me way longer to warm up now when skating. I usually feel comfortable after about 20 minutes of pushing around and taking it easy at first, then I feel good to go. Of course by "go" I mean skating ledges, ditches, red curbs and occasionally stepping it up a bit if I'm feeling really good. Stretching helps keep me loose before I skate, and I believe it helps keep me a little looser after skating, but nothing gets me loose as quick as just pushing to spots. Anymore when I go skating I just step out my door and go skate around. Really reminds me of being 13 again, being miles from home, skating everywhere, just hitting spots as I go. Rarely drive to a spot unless it's really out of the way or the park.? 

On another note, the cold absolutely affects my joints. Ibuprofen and drinking tons of water seems to help. I've also noticed that a really long hot shower before I go skating in cooler weather seems to help. I get up around 6am on Sundays, take a long hot shower and go out for a few hours, I can absolutely tell a difference. Counter-productive I suppose, but oh well. When I was 16 or so I always remember thinking I'd quit skating when I was 35...I'll turn 38 in December and now I'm hoping I can at least cruise around doing slappys until I'm 50.

This is also my deal. I have to "warm up" my knees for about 20 minutes before I can Ollie worth anything since about 33 years old. Stretching is a MUST now as well. I learned that around that time as well. Frontside flip on my unstretched 33 year old body led to groin muscle pull that felt like shit.

My main physical issues are my left ankle and left knee (I'm goofy foot and the only switch I do these days are flatground switch ollies, 180s, kickflips and frontside flips). So my push foot/knee combo suck. In 2001 (I was 25), I tore some tendons in my ankle/foot, which I believe never truly healed right (I had no medical insurance so I just sat on a couch for months = "healed"?!). That was on a kickflip off some stairs, rear foot half on/half off = nice twist! Anyway, that foot/ankle cracks and pops so much, even if I don't move it. IT sucks. My left knee has been a bummer since growth spurts at 12/13... but these days, it's pretty crunchy and feels weak at times? The last time I skated was about a week ago, where I basically thought "hey I haven't done a 360 flip in a while" and just repeatedly did/tried those, with a few makes, more misses! But ever since that day, my knee has felt like Van Damme kicked it from the side.

My knees hate tranny. I learned this also at 33. 32, no problem, all day, sweet. 33 onward has been... skate into tranny - feel like knees caving in. So my 1987 dream of doing at least one McTwist, I've let go of. Stairs/rails/big gaps = over. I'm okay with this. I drive my car into downtown (I live by 2 gnarly hills, skating/walking up them AFTER skating all around...sucks), park it at the edge of town and cruise the whole city, stopping at what spots are left for some tricks here and there. Curbs, banks, ledges, all still amazingly fun! And honestly, like you said brings out the 13 year old. It feels almost just as good (I say almost, cuz after im done skating now I have a lot of responsibilities that I didn't then ha). Cruising full speed down sidewalks, stopping at 7-11 for a smoke, Walgreens for their free water fountain, etc.. seriously just like being a middle school skate rat again.

All my local skate friends have quit skating and I get that look when I talk about skating/how rad it still is/how i'm never gonna quit. You know, the look of "Dewd, just get mature already. Stop having fun with your life. Watch the news, discuss current events and go to work!" . So, honestly over the last year, I've given up on all of my friends. I skate alone, which has it's goods (can go where ever I want/when I want etc) and bads ("Did you see that!? Oh i'm alone" and waiting for a high five that isn't coming) . And I'm also on a tight schedule to skate. I watch my kid all day, wife home around 4:30 and I usually help her with the kid until 8pm , then walk my dogs for about an hour... THEN I skate at 9 or so, generally for an hour, hour and a half. I haven't skated in the sunlight since....I have no idea. Skating at night is the shit though, skate down main streets in between cars, still fun as a mofo. Less people to deal with especially. I still get the occasional "faggot!" yelled at me or "skate or die man" (My suburb is a pretty pro-football/anti-skateboard type place)...or this new-to-me one of: honking the horn, then when I look, some kid/kids banging their head and holding the horns at me? My reaction is to give them a hang loose. I dunno why but it makes me laugh.

Harry in Your Pocket

• Rep: -20
« Reply #817 on: November 15, 2014, 08:36:55 AM »
Yes Harry....welcome back....

While you were gone Gator murdered someone.....

No kidding? And Hosoi was in jail! Got out and married a stripper it appears, but is a preacher or something? Good grief.

Finally watched the Bones Brigade doc last night on Netflix, that was really cool. I actually remember a couple of those videos and watching them on VHS. We had to learn tricks by looking at magazines and trying to learn them that way. No wonder we sucked. I've  been on YouTube and there is so much out there (I'm gonna watch the Hosoi doc and the Rogowski doc today).

What a wild ride this little hobby has been on over the last 30 years.

Apparently, now a days, everyone is rad. I'm just gonna have to hide in my driveway and try not to look like an idiot (too late). 

Heather Chandler

« Reply #818 on: November 15, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
Turning 42 in about a month.  I need to lose about 20lbs and strengthen my body more.  Got hurt last Summer, but slowly seem to be coming back from that.  Getting old sucks.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #819 on: January 01, 2015, 11:04:35 PM »
Figured I'd bump this topic since it's dead of winter and all us old guys need a little motivation.
Turned 41 yesterday and my buddy took all my footage (vx and iphone and vhs) from this year and made me a part.
warning! Curb heavy
Dave Waite 2014 Retrospective // 41st Birthday Video Part (Slappie BirthDave!)

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #820 on: January 01, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »
happy birthday boss, ripping as usual

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #821 on: January 01, 2015, 11:19:24 PM »
Figured I'd bump this topic since it's dead of winter and all us old guys need a little motivation.
Turned 41 yesterday and my buddy took all my footage (vx and iphone and vhs) from this year and made me a part.
warning! Curb heavy

that was sick! now im not so bummed about growing older. jake johnson would be proud of that ender!

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #822 on: January 02, 2015, 12:35:08 AM »
that was so good dave, hell yea. did u roll away from that last co comply tho?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #823 on: January 02, 2015, 12:51:20 AM »
warning! Curb heavy

So good, your footage has got better and better over the year. You're like the Siucu of the older dudes.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #824 on: January 02, 2015, 06:40:55 AM »
warning! Curb heavy
happy birthday boss, ripping as usual
Awesome as always! Keeping me stoked.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #825 on: January 02, 2015, 07:05:56 AM »
that was so good dave, hell yea. did u roll away from that last co comply tho?
I put my hand on the ground and my back foot came off but i pulled my self up.
It's a make to me and my body was wrecked at that point.

straight

« Reply #826 on: January 02, 2015, 08:12:18 AM »
warning! Curb heavy

NICE!

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #827 on: January 02, 2015, 01:54:44 PM »
Awesome thread. Keep it going oldies. Kind of weird though seeing as 90% of the forum is 30+. Turned 40 in mid Dec.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #828 on: January 02, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »
warning! Curb heavy

Ripping. I want some nice spacer curbs to skate  >:(

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #829 on: January 02, 2015, 03:00:16 PM »
warning! Curb heavy
Sick stuff! Really liked the big slappie at 1:20.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #830 on: January 02, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
It's rad you not only skate street but film too.....

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #831 on: January 02, 2015, 06:33:27 PM »
Dude. Gnar for you 144p. You got flow, tricks, and your style oozes fun.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #832 on: January 22, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »
Just turned 38. Couple somewhat recent pics. Our new video premiers in a couple weeks. Unfortunately, while everyone else is getting their last minute tricks, I've been sidelined for a month now with a  tweaked ankle.
Taking my slappy crook to new heights.

Pole jamming

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: January 22, 2015, 05:35:10 PM »
Dude!
Thats impressive (both pics)
Good luck with the injury.

Randozzi

« Reply #834 on: January 22, 2015, 05:54:45 PM »
sick man! love the slappy crook photo. hope you heal up soon.

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #835 on: January 22, 2015, 06:07:27 PM »
I've broken 3 boards in 3 weeks. This is the most I've skated regularly in years, and now the most boards I've broken in probably 13 years. This last time, I bruised the fuck out of my heel, and kept skating, but felt super off balance...But I kept pushing it, and broke it kickflipping off a ledge on the last trick I was going to do at the park. I wanted to land it 3 times in a row, and I of course broke it on the third time. The other time was a 360 flip, and the time before that was a big spin.

Being old allows me to just go buy a new board. I'm thankful for that part of being old.
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

IPODS SUCK!

• Rep: 13
  • skaters do it to fakie
« Reply #836 on: January 22, 2015, 07:39:13 PM »
Hey Slap forum.

39 years old.

I haven't posted here since 2010 I think.

I was widowed in May of '10 so obviously that changed things being left alone to raise a 5 year old boy. He's almost 10 now though and some of the dust has cleared.

I've skated a little bit on and off over the last few years but I'm ready for a big comeback this year. Quit smoking cigarettes and starting to feel better than ever.

trillytrill

• Rep: 10
« Reply #837 on: January 23, 2015, 06:29:07 AM »
Regarding people talking about Mother, what the fuck is "chillwave"?

shark tits

« Reply #838 on: February 04, 2015, 05:23:37 PM »
i'll be 38 in the AM. here's the grand sum of what i did last yr. never die and never get old........
http://youtu.be/il8kjG8Tf1A?t=8m37s

dillanharp

« Reply #839 on: February 04, 2015, 05:27:47 PM »
i'll be 38 in the AM. here's the grand sum of what i did last yr. never die and never get old........
http://youtu.be/il8kjG8Tf1A?t=8m37s
Good shit. you skating to bizarre love triangle somehow brought a tear to my eye.