Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301733 times)

shark tits

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #840 on: February 04, 2015, 05:32:39 PM »
heh, thanks nallid. i love new order but that gal's cover makes me wistful.

floop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #841 on: February 04, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »
Figured I'd bump this topic since it's dead of winter and all us old guys need a little motivation.
Turned 41 yesterday and my buddy took all my footage (vx and iphone and vhs) from this year and made me a part.
warning! Curb heavy
Dave Waite 2014 Retrospective // 41st Birthday Video Part (Slappie BirthDave!)

gnar'd ya brah
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #842 on: February 04, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
i'll be 38 in the AM. here's the grand sum of what i did last yr. never die and never get old........
http://youtu.be/il8kjG8Tf1A?t=8m37s
Damn, that was awesome.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

shark tits

« Reply #843 on: February 04, 2015, 08:52:07 PM »
appreciate ya stanley spadowski! lookin forward to making a 2015 w/ jim and dan, bruh man and rusty. pinche groundhog says not for 6 more wks but we'll be in the game then. anyone else in new england is more than welcome to go for the ripride too.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #844 on: February 05, 2015, 12:16:47 AM »
i'll be 38 in the AM. here's the grand sum of what i did last yr. never die and never get old........

good shit man! even some flip-out shit in there, ha.

Dave Waite props to you as well!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #845 on: February 05, 2015, 12:19:41 AM »
Hey Slap forum.

39 years old.

I haven't posted here since 2010 I think.

I was widowed in May of '10 so obviously that changed things being left alone to raise a 5 year old boy. He's almost 10 now though and some of the dust has cleared.

I've skated a little bit on and off over the last few years but I'm ready for a big comeback this year. Quit smoking cigarettes and starting to feel better than ever.

damn that's heavy.
Welcome back !!

right I'm off to go do some mountain biking, it's way too cold to skate out here right now for my old ass.

RonAllenGaveMeThisAndIAmStoked

• Rep: 2
« Reply #846 on: February 05, 2015, 05:38:31 AM »
Props to everyone here,

I have seldom visited Slap Forum but I have become so disillusioned with so much of skateboard media that I felt it was best to seek out where the real discussion is.

39 Years Old, Chocolate Elijah Berle, Thunders, Spitfire. I have skated pretty much through since I was 11. Had a couple of dry years 17-19. Much of the last 10 years I have skated fairly solo.

Have 3 sons, none of them are really interested in skating. Maybe one day. Still read Transworld, sometimes Thrasher but it embarrasses me, the Berries seems like a cult, Ride Channel is watered down skateboarding. The only thing that I read that seems good is Jenkem and Quartersnacks. I am on Instagram not to post but to follow skaters. Watch plenty of skateboarding videos still. Love checking stuff out on Youtube but miss the time when videos actually meant something. Watched Plan B True (fun) loved Supreme Cherry.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #847 on: February 05, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
Nice! Happy Birthday.
f/s nosegrind the picnic table was sick. And I like the spin around the pole thing. Looked fun.
You got enough sock showing that you could totally fit in with the kids nowadays.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #848 on: February 05, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
144p, I'm almost 20 years younger than you and you're doing some tricks that I struggle with. I can't imagine being in my 40s catching kickflips, no complying gaps, and doing pivot fakies and back D's in lines! Major props

...I know, I don't belong in this thread...but it's pretty inspiring to see what your older guys are pulling off

like butthole sniffer eating that wooly bear caterpillar. woah
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #849 on: February 12, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »
I guess I could have posted this in Skate Questions. But who else is gonna know besides old farts.
Common knowledge, every grab changes names b/s vs f/s: indy/frontside, backside/lien, mute/slob.
So what the heck is a backside Stalefish called?

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #850 on: February 12, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
I guess I could have posted this in Skate Questions. But who else is gonna know besides old farts.
Common knowledge, every grab changes names b/s vs f/s: indy/frontside, backside/lien, mute/slob.
I think it's just called a backside stalefish.
youtube.com/watch?v=TClio9L9n9w
4:42
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #851 on: February 12, 2015, 07:27:56 PM »

Backside stalefish.

I think the naming rules are rather fluid. True, a backside grab turning frontside is probably a lien, but if you were talking about an Indy/frontside on a straight launcher then "Indy" would refer to an around the foot grab. Similarly I've always been told that mute vs slob was solely about the grab. You can turn frontside or backside but if you "stink bug" it with your front arm, then it's slob. Around the foot, mute (tweak for Japan).

Fart Sounds

• Rep: 6
  • (V)(;,,;)(V)
« Reply #852 on: February 12, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »
Figured I'd bump this topic since it's dead of winter and all us old guys need a little motivation.
Turned 41 yesterday and my buddy took all my footage (vx and iphone and vhs) from this year and made me a part.
warning! Curb heavy

between seeing this and binging Grosso's Love Letters on youtube... tonight fucking rules

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #853 on: February 16, 2015, 07:39:08 AM »
Hello fellow old dudes. Hope that everybody is doing good. Only a few more weeks until spring starts. I can't wait. Woke up today and it was -8 degrees outside. Not fun. I've kinda been feeling like a hermit this winter. Pretty much just go to work and then hide from the cold for the rest of the day and watch old skate videos or organize my shoe collection. I injured both my achilles tendons in the middle of October doing something fairly stupid on my skateboard. So for the last month and a half of decent weather I was basically just able to push around in pain. Feeling better now. Super stoked to be out skating again once the snow and cold takes a hike. I saw some of the younger dudes I helped get into skating this summer out a few days ago skating a parking lot in the freezing cold doing ollies and stuff. Totally reminded me of my group of friends and I 20 years ago skating no matter what the weather was and being happy just to be on 4 wheels. Oh that skateboarding nostalgia.

To all the old heads that posted some footage on the past page or two. Great job guys! You dudes rip! That stuff definitely helps to motivate. I'll be on the ol' shred stick sooner than later. Usually around March weather starts getting decent again for me. Few more weeks, few more weeks ;)

Later dudes!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #854 on: March 01, 2015, 05:26:38 PM »
Weather has been warm last few days.
Been having a lot of fun. Hope the rest of you can roll soon.

Interbae

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #855 on: March 02, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »
Im sure I've said it before, but it's rad you film.  It was never part of my program....when I was young only the good guys did it...and when I was older its been more just happy your out skating.  With iPhones now though I should get on it.....truthfully though when I see the footage sometimes it's.....'thank god I never filmed..' i would have quit..

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #856 on: March 02, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »
Somtimes I shake my head at myself taking the time to film mediocre tricks at crappy spots.
Others I step back and realize as we get older it helps to have things to work towards, and to have peers that inspire, regardless of skill or style. That maybe in some odd way I am helping get somebody off the couch to roll around a bit because they saw someone else who reminds them of a time when it was frequent and fun.
My ego is pretty minimal and I'm not fishing for compliments by posting myself, I think the number of aging skateboarders is growing and the cliche of turning into a bowl troll or painfully stepping on a board 3 times a year is disappearing. More guys are skating at a higher level into their late 30s than say 10 years ago.
I also have a complex running a shop that I won't turn into the loudmouth behind the counter always rambling about the good old days and barely touching a board anymore.
Today is just fine for me and it keeps me motivated to progress even in small ways.

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #857 on: March 02, 2015, 06:33:45 PM »
Hey Slap forum.

39 years old.

I haven't posted here since 2010 I think.

I was widowed in May of '10 so obviously that changed things being left alone to raise a 5 year old boy. He's almost 10 now though and some of the dust has cleared.

I've skated a little bit on and off over the last few years but I'm ready for a big comeback this year. Quit smoking cigarettes and starting to feel better than ever.

Im sorry to hear that man. I hope everything goes well! Take care of your son!

Anyways,

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #858 on: April 14, 2015, 03:05:47 PM »
think i'm finally getting closer to properish 5-0s.  it's been a very long journey

https://instagram.com/p/1bCGtPLOND/
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #859 on: April 14, 2015, 05:07:34 PM »
Just found this old man thread, being 42, I figure I qualify.

No recent pics or vids (I skate solo)  ::)

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #860 on: April 14, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
I'm so glad this thread is still going...This forum is terrible for the most part (admittedly I still come here but don't usually post hahaha), but thankfully most of the bullshit that goes on hasn't made it here.

As for me, I recently turned 40, I blew my shoulder out at work, spent my winter at an indoor park skating smallish tranny, and whatever else...I'm just glad it's spring and I can skate some street and not go anywhere near a skatepark unless I feel like skating a ramp or I visit a new one that I've never been to before. I have a few good friends that I skate with all the time and we're looking forward to some fun times this summer.

Keep this shit going guys.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #861 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »
Just turned 40 on Monday. 39 felt ok, let's see how this year goes. :-\

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #862 on: April 14, 2015, 10:24:46 PM »
think i'm finally getting closer to properish 5-0s.  it's been a very long journey

That's totally proper.

Monday I turn 38. I got kicked out of a curb spot tonight by an old man security gaurd before really even getting warmed up. On a positive note, it doesn't look like it's going to rain tomorrow.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #863 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:15 PM »
Just getting down 5-0s too..I gotta have my tail scraping as I go in....

After like 30 years of skating I realize I never lean back....

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #864 on: April 15, 2015, 12:04:54 AM »

congrats man! that's one of the more satisfying tricks ever. also one I totally lost after knee surgery a few years back. confidence is everything for that one.
as for me, I've been rolling around a bit again, which is satisfying in itself but psychologically, I haven't shaken off my ankle breaker yet. everytime I step on my board I think of that injury and I have to say it takes a lot of the fun out of skating. it'll take time I guess.....

Nacnud

• Rep: 9
« Reply #865 on: April 15, 2015, 12:38:30 AM »

Any tips for that one?It looks truly proper to me.. I have been struggling to get up on them for 20 years?I think I am just a big pussy!! It's getting me down. Here is a we curb session with my brother in law. Oh and I just turned 37!
https://instagram.com/p/1clqhQDpJt/
" I just shot him, dying was between him and God"  R L Burnside

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #866 on: April 15, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Any tips for that one?It looks truly proper to me.. I have been struggling to get up on them for 20 years?I think I am just a big pussy!! It's getting me down. Here is a we curb session with my brother in law. Oh and I just turned 37!

thanks guys.  it's been the longest battle.  for me i'm realizing my problem was i needed to bend my knees more, plus lean back into the tranny a bit more.  i got 5-0s to tail a long time ago, but could never come in without going to tail.   think bending knees prepares you for coming back in and gives you some leeway to adjust.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #867 on: April 15, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »
Set Up: 9.77 Real TG Re-issue
 ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  54mm Spitfire F4
 ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  149 Thunders
 ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  i think swiss
 ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  what ever i get from the shop
Preferred Terrain: curbs & rolling around bowls.
Favorite skaters: Max Schaaf , Gonz , Jason Lee
Music: NYHC/the Replacements/Afghan Whigs
Married: Nope
Kids: No

144p

• SLAP Pal

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #869 on: April 15, 2015, 06:59:30 PM »
Just getting down 5-0s too..I gotta have my tail scraping as I go in....

After like 30 years of skating I realize I never lean back....

I have this issue too.  I'm at the 20 year mark and still have to remind myself to put more weight on my back foot.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

thanks guys.  it's been the longest battle.  for me i'm realizing my problem was i needed to bend my knees more, plus lean back into the tranny a bit more.  i got 5-0s to tail a long time ago, but could never come in without going to tail.   think bending knees prepares you for coming back in and gives you some leeway to adjust.

man I'm glad I'm not the only 'old dude' with this issue.  I can slash a frontside grind on just about anything, even managed to get little ones on vert, but can never get a good stand up 5-0. 

Even on my frontside slappies I feel like I'm more on the edge as opposed to on top.

One of my favorite looking tricks too... a bucket list trick for me is a good 5-0 stall; the kind when you just go up, smack it down, and hold for a second.  I'm keeping at it.