Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301596 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #870 on: April 15, 2015, 07:11:29 PM »
Without curbs, I might skate a lot less.
https://igcdn-videos-d-12-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t50.2886-16/11155211_428280277341032_1373589142_n.mp4

One of the first things i saw this morning on instagram, good way to get stoked.
always look forward to those mini clips  8)

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #871 on: April 15, 2015, 07:15:10 PM »

One of the first things i saw this morning on instagram, good way to get stoked.
always look forward to those mini clips  8)

i would for sure skate a lot less with out curb seessions .
this is about all i got left .I also have to remind myself to push down on my back foot . back side slappy's are gonna be tough .
https://instagram.com/p/0RMyIVNe_t/?taken-by=njaybird

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #872 on: April 15, 2015, 07:26:29 PM »

Thanks man appreciate the kind words as always .

coneklr

« Reply #873 on: April 15, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
I had crazy trouble with front 5-0's on transition for the longest time too, but after watching my friend do them a few times and really paying attention, I found what helps me is this ... go fast, come into it like you're gonna just slash it and go up on the deck with all weight on the back, ( this is the part that helped me a ton right here ) once up on the coping keep your weight back and knee bent AND turn the front in towards the transition slightly, when you're ready to go in turn it the rest of the way and move weight to the front and bam you got it.

I hope this helps, it worked for me.

Also ... on my quest to get my back leg working again, I texted a friend and told him to choose a flatground trick and I was gonna go do it, so of course he pics one I haven't done in a while and with my back leg still f'd it was a struggle and not very clean but I'll take it haha

https://instagram.com/p/1hVilTCxk2/?taken-by=mesamisskate

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #874 on: April 15, 2015, 08:55:30 PM »
Fakie tre's are so hit or miss. Rarely land them in games of skate but after a few tries I usually almost break my nose off and roll away from one.
Nice work.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:50:10 PM by 144p »

coneklr

« Reply #875 on: April 15, 2015, 09:14:40 PM »
Fakie tre's are so hot or miss. Rarely land them in games of skate but after a few tries I usually almost break my nose off and roll away from one.
Nice work.

Thanks man!  I should have said if I didn't that was nollie ... but my back leg isn't back to 100% yet, so flicking with it and jumping is difficult.  But yeah, I love any good 360 flip ... unfortunately that wasn't good yet haha.  Next time hopefully will go better
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:17:07 PM by coneklr »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #876 on: April 15, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »
Fakie tre is easier to flip and stay under you but weird because it's fakie....no?

Fakie bigflip is the consolation prize.

I'm slowly getting the front 5-0s...I gotta relearn them every session....

Up there w. front 5-0 is the dreaded roll in....working on that one too....and concrete in general...grew up on maso....

coneklr

« Reply #877 on: April 15, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »
Fakie tre is easier to flip and stay under you but weird because it's fakie....no?

Fakie bigflip is the consolation prize.

I'm slowly getting the front 5-0s...I gotta relearn them every session....

Up there w. front 5-0 is the dreaded roll in....working on that one too....and concrete in general...grew up on maso....

For me the fakie ones have always come easier, big flip included.  Same with regular fakie flips.  Nollie has always been more of a struggle when I learn a new trick.

Roll in's are fucking scary, every session it's like 5 min of getting myself ready for it and then just going for it.  I think it stems from watching my friend hang up doing it on a 6 foot to flat once ... definitely one of the more cringe worthy things I've seen first hand

manute bol

« Reply #878 on: April 16, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
think i'm finally getting closer to properish 5-0s.  it's been a very long journey

https://instagram.com/p/1bCGtPLOND/

Damn. That looks proper to me.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #879 on: April 20, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »
Expand Quote
think i'm finally getting closer to properish 5-0s.  it's been a very long journey

[close]

congrats man! that's one of the more satisfying tricks ever. also one I totally lost after knee surgery a few years back. confidence is everything for that one.
as for me, I've been rolling around a bit again, which is satisfying in itself but psychologically, I haven't shaken off my ankle breaker yet. everytime I step on my board I think of that injury and I have to say it takes a lot of the fun out of skating. it'll take time I guess.....

Completely proper. I like how you can see the shift when you got fully on top. I'm still slashing mine after all these years. Sometimes I might be a little more on top than others. Still one of the best tricks ever.
Injuries suck. They really take longer to heal the older I get. I've been skating, but 4 months after rolling it, my ankle is still not better. I messed up the big toe on my other foot about 1.5 years ago. And even that still hurts.
The main thing that hypes me up these days is new spots. It's too much work to learn a new trick. So I just take the few tricks I can do to different places. This last weekend that meant making the 2 hour trek up to LA. It was a blast.
https://instagram.com/p/1o8503y2D0/

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #880 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:46 AM »
I had crazy trouble with front 5-0's on transition for the longest time too, but after watching my friend do them a few times and really paying attention, I found what helps me is this ... go fast, come into it like you're gonna just slash it and go up on the deck with all weight on the back, ( this is the part that helped me a ton right here ) once up on the coping keep your weight back and knee bent AND turn the front in towards the transition slightly, when you're ready to go in turn it the rest of the way and move weight to the front and bam you got it.

Also ... on my quest to get my back leg working again, I texted a friend and told him to choose a flatground trick and I was gonna go do it, so of course he pics one I haven't done in a while and with my back leg still f'd it was a struggle and not very clean but I'll take it haha

This is pretty good advice. Approach like a slash, but with your weight going more up on top.  I find if I point my toes on my back foot as I am getting up on top. It forces the truck to lock in properly, and cocks the front of the board into the ramp which makes it easier to come back in.   I also found when I was learning them, or if Im trying one on some tranny out of my comfort zone. I try and grind as far as I can or even to a stop to get comfortable.

manute bol

« Reply #881 on: April 20, 2015, 02:35:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Any tips for that one?It looks truly proper to me.. I have been struggling to get up on them for 20 years?I think I am just a big pussy!! It's getting me down. Here is a we curb session with my brother in law. Oh and I just turned 37!
https://instagram.com/p/1clqhQDpJt/

Good stuff. Boomgates too!

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #882 on: April 20, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »
I was saving some stuff for the Tired video but then I realized I didn't want to be in it.
https://igcdn-videos-g-9-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t50.2886-16/11166330_789879564414849_1247002243_n.mp4

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #883 on: April 20, 2015, 06:34:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Thanks man appreciate the kind words as always .
Hell yeah that was hype. What's your IG handle? I'll follow for more curb action.

Well, between the end of winter (1st week of April) and the birth of my second son (5 days ago) I managed to get in a handful of sessions. Winter here was brutal this year, and I didn't even look at my board for nearly 5 months. First day back it was a struggle to get more than 6" off the ground and my legs barely worked. Things got (somewhat) better by the 3rd day out, but i was still limited to 50s and Noseslide 270 shuvs out. All of which were really slow and shitty looking.

It's cool that despite the age level in the thread, the average skill level is pretty high. Wish I could say the same for myself but the decade-plus I took off from the board seems to have stunted my chance of progression pretty substantially. I'll be relegated to the sidelines with this newborn for a minute, but I'm hoping by the time summer rolls around I can get back out there for some solo night sessions.

Harry in Your Pocket

• Rep: -20
« Reply #884 on: April 20, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »
I was saving some stuff for the Tired video but then I realized I didn't want to be in it.
https://igcdn-videos-g-9-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t50.2886-16/11166330_789879564414849_1247002243_n.mp4

How come you did not want to be in it? Your stuff might be a bit too good. I bet I could get in there with some of my embarrassing slams and goofs.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #885 on: April 20, 2015, 07:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is pretty good advice. Approach like a slash, but with your weight going more up on top.� I find if I point my toes on my back foot as I am getting up on top. It forces the truck to lock in properly, and cocks the front of the board into the ramp which makes it easier to come back in.� �I also found when I was learning them, or if Im trying one on some tranny out of my comfort zone. I try and grind as far as I can or even to a stop to get comfortable.

Honestly, I don't do the fully locked-in 5-0 that often. Most of the time I like doing a slash but trying to be more up on than under the coping. Doesn't always happen. That said, the above is good advice for the fully locked-in stand up 5-0 as well as for proper smith grinds. You should be aiming to stay in that correct position until the end of the grind.

For learning either of them I think that doing stalls is better practice than trying to tweak your regular frontside grinds into smith or 5-0. Other pointers might be a) both can feel closer to a frontside 50-50 than a slash as far as being over the coping and b) wait a little bit longer as you ride up the transition before you start getting your grind on. It's really only postponing your wind-up by a fraction of a second although it can feel longer if you are used to a slashier grind. Just wait a hair longer with your body relatively still and noncommittal until your head body get up over the lip.

Nacnud

• Rep: 9
« Reply #886 on: April 20, 2015, 11:36:44 PM »
This is all such great advice!! Keep it coming!!! thanks SLAP PALS.
" I just shot him, dying was between him and God"  R L Burnside

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #887 on: April 21, 2015, 12:36:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This is pretty good advice. Approach like a slash, but with your weight going more up on top.� I find if I point my toes on my back foot as I am getting up on top. It forces the truck to lock in properly, and cocks the front of the board into the ramp which makes it easier to come back in.� �I also found when I was learning them, or if Im trying one on some tranny out of my comfort zone. I try and grind as far as I can or even to a stop to get comfortable.
[close]

Honestly, I don't do the fully locked-in 5-0 that often. Most of the time I like doing a slash but trying to be more up on than under the coping. Doesn't always happen. That said, the above is good advice for the fully locked-in stand up 5-0 as well as for proper smith grinds. You should be aiming to stay in that correct position until the end of the grind.

For learning either of them I think that doing stalls is better practice than trying to tweak your regular frontside grinds into smith or 5-0. Other pointers might be a) both can feel closer to a frontside 50-50 than a slash as far as being over the coping and b) wait a little bit longer as you ride up the transition before you start getting your grind on. It's really only postponing your wind-up by a fraction of a second although it can feel longer if you are used to a slashier grind. Just wait a hair longer with your body relatively still and noncommittal until your head body get up over the lip.

stalls were the key for me too. I wish I had understood that earlier. it's just so frustrating that I finally learned proper smith grinds at 39, after fucking 20+ years of doing shitty ones......and then I went and broke my leg. and now......I'm afraid to do anything.
I swear I will do somes smithies again though. But I need to find an easy wooden mini-ramp, I really dont want to take a chance again on all the gnarly concrete spots close to where I live.

Oh and to the guy who did the wallie crooked, that was awesome! I was expecting to you go fakie out but wallriding out of it was sick.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #888 on: April 21, 2015, 10:15:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
think i'm finally getting closer to properish 5-0s.�  it's been a very long journey

[close]

congrats man! that's one of the more satisfying tricks ever. also one I totally lost after knee surgery a few years back. confidence is everything for that one.
as for me, I've been rolling around a bit again, which is satisfying in itself but psychologically, I haven't shaken off my ankle breaker yet. everytime I step on my board I think of that injury and I have to say it takes a lot of the fun out of skating. it'll take time I guess.....
[close]

Completely proper. I like how you can see the shift when you got fully on top. I'm still slashing mine after all these years. Sometimes I might be a little more on top than others. Still one of the best tricks ever.
Injuries suck. They really take longer to heal the older I get. I've been skating, but 4 months after rolling it, my ankle is still not better. I messed up the big toe on my other foot about 1.5 years ago. And even that still hurts.
The main thing that hypes me up these days is new spots. It's too much work to learn a new trick. So I just take the few tricks I can do to different places. This last weekend that meant making the 2 hour trek up to LA. It was a blast.

incredible.  nice work dude.  i can't even krooked grind on a curb

i live in LA and don't know where that is.  where is it?
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #889 on: April 21, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
think i'm finally getting closer to properish 5-0s.�  it's been a very long journey

[close]

[close]

[close]

incredible.  nice work dude.  i can't even krooked grind on a curb

i live in LA and don't know where that is.  where is it?

Thanks. Yeah, I've been trying to track down that spot for close to a year. It is a bank to ledge/wall going down a whole neighborhood block. I even made a thread about it in the Travel Guide section to get some help. http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=80941.0
That didn't work. I had to go about it the old fashioned way. Ask someone who lives up there. It's in East LA. Cross streets are 2nd ST & Bonnie Beach Place. No one had a problem with us skating the section I hit. But further down the hill, there is another part that they said was off limits.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #890 on: April 21, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
think i'm finally getting closer to properish 5-0s.��  it's been a very long journey

[close]

[close]

[close]

incredible.�  nice work dude.�  i can't even krooked grind on a curb

i live in LA and don't know where that is.�  where is it?
[close]

Thanks. Yeah, I've been trying to track down that spot for close to a year. It is a bank to ledge/wall going down a whole neighborhood block. I even made a thread about it in the Travel Guide section to get some help. http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=80941.0
That didn't work. I had to go about it the old fashioned way. Ask someone who lives up there. It's in East LA. Cross streets are 2nd ST & Bonnie Beach Place. No one had a problem with us skating the section I hit. But further down the hill, there is another part that they said was off limits.

Damn that was really sick! As I age, finding a new spot is just about as exciting as getting a new trick, and probably more frequent :-)

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #891 on: June 06, 2015, 01:41:46 AM »
hey old farts. well I had my first real sesh at the park and I felt so damn sketchy and uncomfortable on my board......I thought I was going to self-destruct just dropping in. so I was almost ready to give up but it got better after an hour. I'm still super far from where I was at pre-injury though. Might never get back there, but whatever. As someone said, better appreciate what you can still do rather than regret the tricks you've lost.

Anyways here's a funny one you english-speakers might find strange: I was talking to some young dudes at the park, and I had this dilemma, do I prefer to be adressed as "tu" or "vous"?? Cause we have two ways of saying "you" in French: "tu" is like for buddies and "vous" is more formal. so when some guy said "vous" I felt respected as an elder.....but when another one said "tu", I thought: cool, maybe I don't look too fucked up and wrinkled yet!! 

NL

« Reply #892 on: June 15, 2015, 07:53:33 AM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2032627#msg2032627 date=1384625481
Expand Quote
sans umbilical, what part of Alabama do you reside?  I'm down here in the Montgomery area.
[close]

Birmingham

44 year old here...

I just moved to Bham. How is Railroad Park? Looking forward to exploring the local spots and scene here!!!

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #893 on: June 15, 2015, 08:23:03 AM »
I'm 31

My hair is getting very grey

I'm divorced

I have one dead child

My bladder is very weak. I wake up to piss at least 4 times a night.

I don't drink heavily anymore because the hangovers are so brutal. If I had hangovers like I get now when I started drinking I never would have become an alcoholic.

I have arthritis in my back and knees

My board is a Toy Machine with Thunder trucks, Spitfire wheels, Swiss bearings

I like flatbars and ledges

Gay guys are usually attracted to me

Dogs love me

I used to like Chinese girls until I was about to fuck one in the ass. Before I stuck my penis in I bent down to lick her butthole and a loud explosion came from her buttocks area. She said it came from her vagina but it sounded way more like a fart to me and there was a strange musty poo smell in the air. My dick went limp, she went home and I never pursued another Chinese in the department of sexual activities.

"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

N.L.

« Reply #894 on: June 15, 2015, 10:21:14 AM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2032627#msg2032627 date=1384625481
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sans umbilical, what part of Alabama do you reside?  I'm down here in the Montgomery area.
[close]

Birmingham
[close]

44 year old here...

I just moved to Bham. How is Railroad Park? Looking forward to exploring the local spots and scene here!!!

Shame about the username...

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #895 on: June 15, 2015, 10:23:56 AM »
I'm 39 (I'll be 40 in a couple months).  I think getting back into skating may have been a bit of a mid life crisis for me.  (It's cheaper than buying a new vette so it's all good).  I just kind of drifted away from skating several years ago.  Since coming back I truly regret ever quitting.  My rhythm and balance is slowly coming back to me bit by bit.  I get tired really really fast.  Luckily there's a local skate shop that has an older owner and about once a week he has an "Old man skate" on the mini half in the back.  It's so much fun and there's some old guys around here that can really shread!
     I do have a serious question though.  Since it's been awhile for me and technology has improved; there's a huge church parking lot just up from my house.  All the curbs are pretty much untouched (they just extended the parking lot last summer).  There are several curbs and sidewalks and a couple island sidewalks that make perfect manny pads.  Anyway, since these are untouched, and grinding is a shaky venture at this point anyway, what kind of wax is best for virgin curbs?  We basically just used old candles or paraffin blocks back in the day.  Is there a better product out there now? 

Oh yeah, my setup:
8.5 Blank (pressed in Asia)
Indy 149 Kostons 
56mm Spitfire formula 4
Reds
Pig rails
Indy 94 hard bushings
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

NL

« Reply #896 on: June 15, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Birmingham
[close]

44 year old here...

[close]

Shame about the username...

Opps, Sorry about that...I am not clever enough for a catchy username so I just went with something basic.

NL

« Reply #897 on: June 15, 2015, 12:51:58 PM »
Figured I'd bump this topic since it's dead of winter and all us old guys need a little motivation.
Turned 41 yesterday and my buddy took all my footage (vx and iphone and vhs) from this year and made me a part.
warning! Curb heavy
Dave Waite 2014 Retrospective // 41st Birthday Video Part (Slappie BirthDave!)

Wow!!! That was amazing and very inspirational!!! I've got 2 years on ya but after watching your video makes me want to save up quicker for a new board so I can get back out there. Thanks for sharing.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #898 on: June 15, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »
36 soon
8" Toy Machine, Indy 139s, 53 mm Bones, China Reds
Street, wanna skate transition

I'm skating again every day after a seven-year period in which I skated only a few times a year. I don't think I've lost much because I never had much to begin with. Just basic street tricks. I like to go fast and do ollies, 180s, kickflips, 5-0 grinds, crooked grinds, noseslides, boardslides or just cruise down the street carving, power sliding and launching off curb cuts. It's still fun as hell and I've realized I'm at the age where I need to do other exercise outside of skating so I've been doing that as well. One trick I never learned back in the day that I'm trying to get now is slappy grinds and it's incredibly hard! What the hell is with this devil of a trick? I've done a couple on a very low curb but I still haven't figured out how to do them consistently. I've watched some slappy video in slow motion and it looks like there's some shifting of your weight onto your heels at just the right moment and then locking in but it's harder than it looks to actually execute. I've been trying them on NYC metal curbs. Does that make it harder or easier? All the videos I see have people on those red California curbs. Any tips?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #899 on: June 15, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »
Only new curb technology is salba sauce aka laquer.  It's good for unpainted curbs. 

Slappys?  My backside one works.....I drag and unweight into it.  Frontside is hard....I lift front truck then back...and I think as you get better you can just ram your front truck in.....

As tech as I get.....41 and still not done.....

https://youtu.be/_cEqOYvHcYg