Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301576 times)

stephop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #900 on: June 15, 2015, 03:05:18 PM »
Every time I step on my board for the first time after my long New England hibernation I feel drunk and every time I skate it's always a surprise because I never have clue what I'm going to be able to from one session to the next. Good times.

shark tits

« Reply #901 on: June 15, 2015, 05:32:38 PM »
Only new curb technology is salba sauce aka laquer.  It's good for unpainted curbs. 

Slappys?  My backside one works.....I drag and unweight into it.  Frontside is hard....I lift front truck then back...and I think as you get better you can just ram your front truck in.....

As tech as I get.....41 and still not done.....

https://youtu.be/_cEqOYvHcYg

just how tech can shit get? tech as the abyss!
method man said that and i find it appropriate for your ss bs heelflip. there's a place around my way called 'purgatory chasm' but everyone pronounces it phonetically like 'chaz-em'. method man's line about your sw bs heelflip into the abyss reminded me of that.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #902 on: June 22, 2015, 07:02:40 AM »
after a lot of failing and just not getting it, I finally understand and can sometimes do some pretty decent slappies. man, when you hit one just right, it feels so awesome. I still need to perfect my technique. I'm not always smooth with getting onto them. I think the trick is to haul some ass and put your weight onto your heels at just the right moment before you hit the curb. also, you don't want to lean too far forward or too far back. you kind of have to envision yourself grinding.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #903 on: June 22, 2015, 08:03:48 AM »
Just some older clips I put together,
Be good

coneklr

« Reply #904 on: June 22, 2015, 08:09:41 AM »
Fuck yeah!  That looked like a good time!  Nice 144p!

Heather Chandler

« Reply #905 on: July 09, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »
Been kind of a harsh Summer skatewise.  Kids, camps, and starting work at 6pm a lot of times until 6am.  I need to get more motivated, has been a good 3 weeks or so no skating.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #906 on: July 14, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »

I do have a serious question though.  Since it's been awhile for me and technology has improved; there's a huge church parking lot just up from my house.  All the curbs are pretty much untouched (they just extended the parking lot last summer).  There are several curbs and sidewalks and a couple island sidewalks that make perfect manny pads.  Anyway, since these are untouched, and grinding is a shaky venture at this point anyway, what kind of wax is best for virgin curbs?  We basically just used old candles or paraffin blocks back in the day.  Is there a better product out there now? 

I literally just made a new spot in Portland. Go find some rocks with some flat sides on them and grind down the ledges by "waxing" it with the rock and then waxing it with wax and just go back and forth alternating. I did that 5 or 6 times two weeks ago at the concrete bench and finally went back to skate it yesterday after it had a chance to set or whatever. Ended up getting a bunch of 50-50s off the ledge.

As far as wax use any skate wax. If the curbs are the nice painted curbs that are made out of cement and not concrete then you can skip the rock part and wax it up and use your trucks.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #907 on: July 20, 2015, 12:10:38 PM »
Just got back from my yearly trip back to Cheeseland (Madison, WI). Hung with the family and friends who still live out there.
A lot of rain. But managed to get a couple skate days in.
Boardslide @ ATT. I've been skating this spot for 25 years now. And have been dreaming about doing this trick there for 2 years. A few years ago, it went through some upgrades. Some of the hits there were destroyed. But others were created. Like this ledge. In my dreams, I wanted to do a boardslide transfer into the little bank on the other side. Tried that a few times before realizing it wasn't going to work. The bank is smaller than your wheelbase; so it would be impossible to get both sets of wheels on at the same time. Decided to just take it all the way to the end.

Thread the needle hippie jump @ WHARF. Another spot I've been skating for 25+ years. This one spot has at least 20 different spots at it. I had never thought of this possibility before. Amazing place. Ground is a little rough and cracked at spots. But that is what winter does.
https://instagram.com/p/5Tj_ryyGAQ/?taken-by=washedupwarriors

Tailblock skidder. Found this spot while looking for another. Looked like no one had really skated it before. No marks at all. Thought it would be an instant bust. But we had no problems.
https://instagram.com/p/5DvjZ1y2CH/?taken-by=tboneolson_tclips

Got to witness this first hand. The new breed of Madison ripper 5-0 grinding down the edge of a mountain @ Humanities.
https://instagram.com/p/5DoF_Iubci/?taken-by=alumniskateboarding

Hooked up some herb (Skywalker, Berry White, Lemon Kush) that was just as good as anything in San Diego (where I've lived for 20 years now).
Good times.
See you next year Madtown.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #908 on: August 02, 2015, 08:02:23 PM »
This is the only time I've had someone follow film me.  Stoked just for that reason.  Was pretty hung over during this session.   That could be a caveat but I also suck

42.  Beer gut.  Ass sweat.  Hung over.  Fucked ankle.  Fucked knee.  Fucked thumb.  Fucked right testicle (been enlarged for some reason.  Might be a urinary infection).  Cheers

http://instagram.com/p/55wZmBLOO9/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:48:08 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #909 on: August 03, 2015, 02:24:09 AM »
Lots of great shit in this thread,.enjoyed the clips in the last two posts ,especially the tail block slide.
Turned 33 yesterday ,spent the day skating flat ground. Learned switch no comply shuv its and felt inexcusably happy about it.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #910 on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:29 PM »
a lot of the old guys in this thread exaggerate the degree of their oldness. when you read their posts, you picture some doddering old senior citizen but then you watch their footage or see their pictures and they look like fairly normal dudes albeit older than the teens at the skatepark.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #911 on: August 03, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »
+1 floop.  You go get it, hung over or not.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #912 on: August 04, 2015, 01:27:27 AM »
+1 to the floop +1. That park looks rad. Get yours.

yeahmmm

• Rep: -23
« Reply #913 on: August 04, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
just turned 34. feel twice my age physically- had a lot of stupid nagging injuries.  havent skated in a few months but want to start again badly.  this was when i was 32. hot metal skatepark.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIpVDbaY6Y  oh and heres another messing around on a tall curb.  i was trying to do as many early 90's tricks I could think of.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6O_1NRKrN0
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:27:14 PM by yeahmmm »

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #914 on: August 06, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »
Barely managed to skate at all this year. Weather has been utter shite and when I have found the time, I keep fucking myself. Broke my wrist and tore my ligaments in my foot. Feel fucking old at the mo. Bad shit :(

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #915 on: August 06, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »
a lot of the old guys in this thread exaggerate the degree of their oldness. when you read their posts, you picture some doddering old senior citizen but then you watch their footage or see their pictures and they look like fairly normal dudes albeit older than the teens at the skatepark.

That's probably because this skateboarding thing is like the fountain of youth.
Last Sunday the Vans Combi contest was on regular TV. I had it on and the wife was tripping on how young Chris Miller still looks. And he's in his 50s.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #916 on: August 06, 2015, 05:03:13 PM »
This is the only time I've had someone follow film me.  Stoked just for that reason.  Was pretty hung over during this session.   That could be a caveat but I also suck

42.  Beer gut.  Ass sweat.  Hung over.  Fucked ankle.  Fucked knee.  Fucked thumb.  Fucked right testicle (been enlarged for some reason.  Might be a urinary infection).  Cheers

Rad! Grew up skating with Eric.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #917 on: August 07, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »
I don't think I have any footage in this but I helped put this together.....

https://vimeo.com/135397878

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #918 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:14 PM »
gg grandpas, here's my contribution to the old sack club
video 1438876074 mp4

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #919 on: August 08, 2015, 02:30:21 AM »
I'm new here. 41. Been skating for close to 30 years. Lucky I can still walk, let alone skate. Here is some rinky-dinky shit my tired old ass did over the past few weeks.

https://youtu.be/12D6x0VubeM
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:32:14 AM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #920 on: August 08, 2015, 12:47:38 PM »
I beat a kid in skate today with no flip tricks. My year is complete.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #921 on: August 09, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Rad! Grew up skating with Eric.

Awesome.  Nicest guy.  And serious ripper.  pretty sure I'm the least good person he's filmed
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

yeahmmm

« Reply #922 on: August 10, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
I'm new here. 41. Been skating for close to 30 years. Lucky I can still walk, let alone skate. Here is some rinky-dinky shit my tired old ass did over the past few weeks.

Nice!

yeahmmm

« Reply #923 on: August 10, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »
if people are gonna talk about injuries i might as well. i always hit my face a lot learning new tricks. i managed to knock out my whole front grill in 3 different incidents.  I know have all implants on every tooth cept my back molars.  I wanted dentures but the dentist was like "your a 28 yo kid you can't have dentures they suck and never fit right and hurt"  so i went the hard route which included gum surgery and pulling almost all my teeth. My teeth never were my main problem with skating. id get work on them and be out the next day if not too swollen.  my main dumbass fucking problem is my good for nothing ankles.  been rolling them since i started to jump down stuff at 11.  34 now and 2 years ago I went to a podiatrist (you can physically how my ankles look different sizes)  he said i can get you on the cutting board whenever you want since your ligaments and tendons are completely shot. done. nothing left in them, they've been streched to the moon all these years and now are worthless. I guess what they do now is cauterize your ligaments instead of just cutting them to make em tighter.  I haven't done the surgery yet because I am relatively young and i can walk.  not sure when i should do this tho. my cousin had it done at 16 years old!  she played soccer but what scared me is the down time is 6 months on crutches.  Anyone have any insight or experiences with ankle surgeries?  it needs to be done but I'd like to wait til i'm almost a cripple so i can kinda be able to work and skate in the mean time.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #924 on: August 10, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
  Nice!

Danke!
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #925 on: August 10, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »
Today at the skatepark. Flip tricks feel good again!
Tillicum

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #926 on: August 28, 2015, 10:24:18 AM »
I'm old enough that after a 35minute session at the skatepark (which went reasonably well for me), I was at work and found a random ziplock in a bag with my stuff - it had ibuprofen in it. I literally shouted "Yes; SCORE!"

I'm also listening to Gershwin right now, but that's partly due to Pandora.
SPB!

shark tits

« Reply #927 on: August 28, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »
Today at the skatepark. Flip tricks feel good again!
Tillicum
50-50 alley oop 180! i usedta see tillicum signs when i lived in olympia and think it sounded dirty but now i see the word and think of the whale.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #928 on: August 28, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »
You are the best. Come visit SF, you magnificent man.
SPB!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #929 on: August 28, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »
kids have been waxing curbs everywhere around town and it's so much fun.....