Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301537 times)

dick wolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #990 on: October 28, 2015, 11:58:38 AM »
Ice only my man, I promise.
Avoid heat for at least a week. Just keeps it inflamed.
I Ice my ankles all the time, helps speed up recovery after skating all day.
Gotta bring that swelling down, ibuprofen and a diet of anti inflammatory foods will speed up the process.
Good luck!

No wonder I'm always so inflamed

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #991 on: October 28, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
Thanks for the list of food 144p!

dalycitymassive

• Rep: -2
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #992 on: October 28, 2015, 03:29:59 PM »
Gotta lay off the fries. Thanks for the info.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #993 on: October 30, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »
42 end of the month.....I had a good convo w. a dude same age.....still rips....he's throwing in the towel...it's a good reference point and conversation.  He only does stuff to 100% and he's super good.....I think it's a waste...but I get it....he picked up road biking or something that he can go 100% and not take a slam.....

Pretty stoked carrying on @ 60%......relatively injury free....

Bummer.
I've seen it happen too. Pro level ripping and then they quit after skating 20+ years.
I have a theory. Kind of like that saying, the brightest candle burns fastest. Or however it goes. In a way these guys with incredible skill have kind of won, mastered, figured out, conquered skateboarding. Where do they go from there? What's next? But then for guys like me, with a more average skating level, there are still so many things to learn; or at least try. So you just keep going.
As an old timer, once you accept and embrace the fact that you're past your prime, it's invigorating. Skating comes full circle. Just like when you were a kid, simple things make you stoked.

144p, I had a grilled salmon burrito for dinner last night, thanks to your post.

shark tits

« Reply #994 on: October 30, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »
Expand Quote
42 end of the month.....I had a good convo w. a dude same age.....still rips....he's throwing in the towel...it's a good reference point and conversation.�  He only does stuff to 100% and he's super good.....I think it's a waste...but I get it....he picked up road biking or something that he can go 100% and not take a slam.....

[close]

Bummer.
I've seen it happen too. Pro level ripping and then they quit after skating 20+ years.
I have a theory. Kind of like that saying, the brightest candle burns fastest. Or however it goes. In a way these guys with incredible skill have kind of won, mastered, figured out, conquered skateboarding. Where do they go from there? What's next? But then for guys like me, with a more average skating level, there are still so many things to learn; or at least try. So you just keep going.
As an old timer, once you accept and embrace the fact that you're past your prime, it's invigorating. Skating comes full circle. Just like when you were a kid, simple things make you stoked.

144p, I had a grilled salmon burrito for dinner last night, thanks to your post.
i'm 38 and sorta fell off since it got cold but along the lines of your post, i did some wallrides and 180s in front of the house, powersliding through leaves and such, grinning like a person who just shit hisself and knows someone's gonna hafta rub his ass w/ wet wipes. i'll be back in black next spring for sure but i ain't balls enough to brave the weather this yr. i was in 2013 so it halfass depends on my friends and in other sad news Subliminal is apparently shutting down this wk. alas.
if anyone is in my area [central Mass] i've got a bit of kale left in the yard, maybe some peas in a pod. everything else done froze. next yr i'm going in heavy on that produce front, fuck w/ me. i got peppers that'll make you ollie double digits.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #995 on: October 31, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »
Expand Quote
42 end of the month.....I had a good convo w. a dude same age.....still rips....he's throwing in the towel...it's a good reference point and conversation.�  He only does stuff to 100% and he's super good.....I think it's a waste...but I get it....he picked up road biking or something that he can go 100% and not take a slam.....

[close]

Bummer.

i still don't understand it.  even if someone was super good.  why would you stop doing something you love?  isn't that why we all do it, at the end of the day? 

even Tony Hawk still manages to learn new things and is still stoked on skating, after learning pretty much every trick there is.   aside from debilitating injury i can't making a conscious decision to stop skating.  unless you were actually over it, which happens (but you always come back)
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #996 on: October 31, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »

i still don't understand it.  even if someone was super good.  why would you stop doing something you love?  isn't that why we all do it, at the end of the day? 

even Tony Hawk still manages to learn new things and is still stoked on skating, after learning pretty much every trick there is.   aside from debilitating injury i can't making a conscious decision to stop skating.  unless you were actually over it, which happens (but you always come back)

I know plenty of dudes whose prime kick with skating was being good at it - performing at a high level. Or the adrenaline rush of going fast, big, etc. Once they couldn't do that, they didn't have enough just plain love of rolling to keep it up at diminished capacity. Just pushing is literally enough to keep me interested, tho. I mean, I'm not giving up tricks anytime soon, but when all I can do is push around, I'll happily just do that.

shark tits

« Reply #997 on: October 31, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »

Expand Quote

[close]

I know plenty of dudes whose prime kick with skating was being good at it - performing at a high level. Or the adrenaline rush of going fast, big, etc. Once they couldn't do that, they didn't have enough just plain love of rolling to keep it up at diminished capacity. Just pushing is literally enough to keep me interested, tho. I mean, I'm not giving up tricks anytime soon, but when all I can do is push around, I'll happily just do that.
sounds like you love this game like i love this game. we're all id whereas some other jabronis are all ego. maybe a bit of the 2 mixed? well i guess that i just don't know.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #998 on: October 31, 2015, 07:56:16 PM »
I don't think there's any point in quitting unless you physically can't anymore. I've been reading sites like Middle Age Shred, and it seems like the urge never goes away. There are dudes on there in their forties and fifties who are like "I'm picking up my board again after 20 years." Why not just keep skating so you don't end up being that guy who tries to start again after 20 or 30 years off? Even if you've lost some spring in your step, I'm sure you'll be better off to stick with it than try to make a comeback at that age. I've skated off and on my whole life and I always come back and I always regret the time I took off.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #999 on: October 31, 2015, 10:01:39 PM »
I think some of that stuff comes from being competitive (even if not ostensibly competing). I know a few rippers who have dropped off the map as well. Maybe that's what fueled their skating - being the shit.

I've never been remotely competitive with my skating and I can deal with getting worse.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #1000 on: November 01, 2015, 06:22:07 AM »
I'm happy to just cruise around and ollie a few manholes on some days. Not sure how someone could not even love that as they slow down.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #1001 on: November 01, 2015, 10:49:58 AM »
When you haven't skated for a month...and you do that...and you take the worst slam in your life....that's how it ends.....

I got some midlife crises buds and it's sketchy..I feel like......'you wearing a helmet?  Hey...why don't we just watch the bones brigade movie!' 

Heather Chandler

« Reply #1002 on: November 01, 2015, 11:00:34 PM »
I had a rough Summer of minimal skating, which I blame on myself.  I do shift work, so I was going in at 6pm, but before that I was basically daycare for my daughters.  We did a lot of fun things, riding bikes, swimming, etc., but I started slacking on going skating.  Then I'd get frustrated when I would go because I wasn't skating enough and I suck, so I need to skate at least 3X/week.  Started getting that empty dreadful feeling in my gut that maybe I was done, that I was moving on into fully domesticated bliss.  Started a new shift beginning of October, and have been going more regularly.  I'm going to be 43 this December and just want to keep charging as best I can each year.  Not doing anything spectacular trick wise, but I try to go as fast as I can.  I want to keep skating until I'm physically unable.  It really is the best feeling thing you can do on wheels.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1003 on: November 02, 2015, 01:35:00 AM »
I'm 31 and have notably lost pop and flexibility, but am loving skateboarding more than ever! Just sticking to transition now in the name of longevity

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1004 on: November 02, 2015, 01:45:48 AM »
I'm happy to just cruise around and ollie a few manholes on some days. Not sure how someone could not even love that as they slow down.

that's basically where I'm at.
But I can understand people quitting. I'm not super competitive but it's just frustrating to lose trick after trick....

I had a little sesh last week and felt so rusty after not skating for about 2 months. I think I'm finally beginning to get over breaking my ankle though....I have more of an urge to skate, but it's been 2 years! these days the one thing that gets me hyped is getting to skate once in a blue moon with the dudes that I grew up skating with. skating alone doesn't have the appeal it used to.

Evil

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1005 on: November 02, 2015, 08:03:10 AM »
Set Up:
Board -8.25 Scumco // 9.5 Earthwing Drifter (cruiser)
Wheels-  53mm Spitfire F4 Classic 99a  // 66mm-86a cloud ride mini slide
Trucks-149 Indys // 169 indys (Bones hardcore bushings in both)
Bearings-Bones reds        
Preferred Terrain: Street for now, but I'd love to be able to shred FDR one day
Music: rap /metal
Married: Y
Other: Beer enthusiast/homebrewer

Sup old heads, this thread was the inspiration for my joining the forum so thought I should make my first post here. 35 just getting started street skating, been pushing various longboards off and on for 7 years or so, still commuting on my double kick cruiser. Figure I'm not getting any younger and I want to learn some street skating before my legs give up. Nice to see a bunch more old heads still ripping.

cruiser setup

fresh street setup
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:40:46 AM by Evil »

shark tits

« Reply #1006 on: November 02, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But I can understand people quitting. I'm not super competitive but it's just frustrating to lose trick after trick....

I had a little sesh last week and felt so rusty after not skating for about 2 months. I think I'm finally beginning to get over breaking my ankle though....I have more of an urge to skate, but it's been 2 years! these days the one thing that gets me hyped is getting to skate once in a blue moon with the dudes that I grew up skating with. skating alone doesn't have the appeal it used to.
skateboard tricks can neither be invented nor destroyed. they just exist somewhere in the ether. or like., maybe your trick you wanted to do has been checked out at the moment but just take out another one and glean everything you can from it. i guarantee you can re-read your old tricks at some point if it's that important to you.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1007 on: November 02, 2015, 10:36:02 AM »
That Scumco board is a beauty!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1008 on: November 02, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »
Damn that was cool!
Few tricks from our shop video that premiered recently.
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t50.2886-16/12021030_986458031412834_883938519_n.mp4

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: November 02, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
skateboard tricks can neither be invented nor destroyed. they just exist somewhere in the ether. or like., maybe your trick you wanted to do has been checked out at the moment but just take out another one and glean everything you can from it. i guarantee you can re-read your old tricks at some point if it's that important to you.

dude your posts freak me out....but in a good way ha!

Zuma: that was awesome. kinda makes me regret not ever filming a part in 30 years of skating. back in the days only sponsored guys did it, and I never was that good.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1010 on: November 09, 2015, 04:55:40 PM »
I didn't get kicked out of a spot but I had a teacher lady come tell I could "play" behind the school at night but not to wax the ledge because kids are slipping on it. It felt realy weird at my age to have someone talk to me like that. I was just like "alright" and then I left because I felt weird.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #1011 on: November 10, 2015, 04:48:32 AM »
fresh street setup

my buddy Giancarlo did that graphic.  coudn't be happier to see a marriage between my favorite artist and skate company.

speaking for myself:  i'm 28 and i can honestly say i skate better now than i ever have... i also skate like 3-4 times a week and have a wonderful skatepark at my disposal 5 minutes from my house.  i like to think that if i didnt, id still go to the nearest smooth parking lot and skate flatground for hours.  i couldn't imagine "quitting" or something gay like that
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:50:48 AM by iwshilvdnfinland »

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1012 on: November 11, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »
Will learn some new tricks some day.  In the mean time

https://www.instagram.com/p/99V3p2LOMk/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:20:31 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1013 on: November 25, 2015, 01:04:44 AM »
Hey old farts. I felt like sharing this pic of the best session I had in years: reunion with some heads from my old crew!
We're all over the 40 mark....and some guys I hadn't seen in about 10 years. Super fun. It felt like we were 15 again. I'm the dude far left.

Shot in Paris, Porte de la Muette skatepark. 6 days before the attacks....None of us were directly affected luckily, but this shit hit hard.

PS:
Floop, I share your love of fs pivots!

coneklr

« Reply #1014 on: November 25, 2015, 01:17:45 AM »
Fuck yeah OBF!  I'm getting married next summer and one of the things I'm really looking forward to is having all of my friends from back in the day together for a session for the first time in forever ( your pic got me looking forward to that even more )!  Sending positive thoughts and vibes to you and yours my friend!

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1015 on: November 25, 2015, 01:18:58 AM »
I didn't get kicked out of a spot but I had a teacher lady come tell I could "play" behind the school at night but not to wax the ledge because kids are slipping on it. It felt realy weird at my age to have someone talk to me like that. I was just like "alright" and then I left because I felt weird.

feels very weird indeed! i am 36 and most security guards in my area are half my age. it is not very pleasant to be told to "fuck off", especially when this happens in front of randomers or even people i sort of know (sometimes customers of mine!)
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1016 on: November 25, 2015, 01:32:16 AM »
-> coneklr : thanks man! And wedding session sounds super good. Just watch out not to roll your ankle before the honeymoon trip ha!! Bride would be bummed.....  ;D

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1017 on: November 25, 2015, 02:40:19 AM »
-> coneklr : thanks man! And wedding session sounds super good. Just watch out not to roll your ankle before the honeymoon trip ha!! Bride would be bummed.....  ;D
I had a week in Copenhagen skating with friends before my wedding in Sweden. We had a blast. One guy came from Australia, another from New York. We skated everyday and the only injury I got was a minor break on my thumb so I was pretty stoked even though my wife wouldn't have been shocked had I turned up on crutches. Another great part of the trip was when we found a discount shoe store selling NOS Osiris D3's so we bought some and tried to skate in them, it wasn't easy but it was hilarious and every spot you turned up at the locals would be stoked to see someone sporting D3's.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1018 on: November 25, 2015, 06:54:21 AM »
hell yeah, dudes. never stop shredding.

N.L.

« Reply #1019 on: November 25, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
After breaking my toe in the summer (a month after turning 40), it is finally letting me try tricks again, after months of the occasional slappy and carve grind....

https://www.instagram.com/p/-aFpxULxd7/?taken-by=foulweather
https://www.instagram.com/p/-UbZqwrxeo/?taken-by=foulweather
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:40:06 AM by N.L. »