Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301557 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1110 on: January 24, 2016, 11:55:21 AM »
progression is gravy and not necessary.....fun is.....the quicker you see that the better......

You sound like one of those kids....l'if I can't be sponsored....why bother?' 

And with the slappy shit?  Don't blame us dude....go take it out on fully abled bodied 20 year olds who are losing their shit over some clever powerslides.....

Honestly for most of us slappies are new too....they are fun and we have nothing to prove...

kenneth

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1111 on: January 24, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
progression is gravy and not necessary.....fun is.....the quicker you see that the better......

You sound like one of those kids....l'if I can't be sponsored....why bother?' 

And with the slappy shit?  Don't blame us dude....go take it out on fully abled bodied 20 year olds who are losing their shit over some clever powerslides.....

Honestly for most of us slappies are new too....they are fun and we have nothing to prove...

I prefer my sunday steak with gravy.
Makes the meal complete.

To learn and progress is something I want for myself.
I find it hard to understand people that don't want that.

I am old. 20 years old losing their shit is another topic.
I'd rather watch Bill Danforth push...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1112 on: January 24, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »
If you don't understand that some people just want to have fun and are happy with what they have.......best case scenario you're narrow minded.....

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1113 on: January 24, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »
If you still skate when you're 40, stop back by and let us know how you feel.

Until then, just know that we've already won skateboarding, and some of just choose to dick around now, and love it.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Heather Chandler

« Reply #1114 on: January 24, 2016, 10:52:17 PM »
He, who has the most fun, wins. 

kenneth

« Reply #1115 on: January 25, 2016, 02:46:58 AM »
Regarding my first post on the subject.
I think I went at it the wrong way.
It sound a bit harsh and my intention was not to make anyone upset.
English is not my native language so it's kind of hard to express what I mean.
I will try like this instead.

I am 40 years old, been skating since the late 80's.
I've had so much fun with skateboarding, both on and off board.
If asked about the must fun I've had with skateboarding I probably think about a roadtrip or something like that.
But if asked about the moments on board that have given me the most it will probably be when I've made something for the first time or when I stepped out of my comfort zone.
I love the feeling of just carving around but the achivement of say a fs grind over a loveseat has rewarded me more than just a single carve.
That feeling of achivement, of doing something that you've wanted to try, of pushing yourself.
That for me is a part of skateboarding, even tho having fun is a much bigger part.
It's not about beeing good or bad, It's about the selfreward you get from things like that.
If anyone is asked about the best monemts on a skateboard, they will probably think of when they made a special trick.

Any moment on board is a great moment but for me personally I feel even better when I make something I've been trying for a while.

What I find hard to understand is people that don't try anymore.
Skateboarding is still fun when just fooling around but it can be so much more.

Hope this explains better what I was after.

Thanks.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #1116 on: January 25, 2016, 07:35:06 AM »
Regarding my first post on the subject.
I think I went at it the wrong way.
It sound a bit harsh and my intention was not to make anyone upset.
English is not my native language so it's kind of hard to express what I mean.
I will try like this instead.

I am 40 years old, been skating since the late 80's.
I've had so much fun with skateboarding, both on and off board.
If asked about the must fun I've had with skateboarding I probably think about a roadtrip or something like that.
But if asked about the moments on board that have given me the most it will probably be when I've made something for the first time or when I stepped out of my comfort zone.
I love the feeling of just carving around but the achivement of say a fs grind over a loveseat has rewarded me more than just a single carve.
That feeling of achivement, of doing something that you've wanted to try, of pushing yourself.
That for me is a part of skateboarding, even tho having fun is a much bigger part.
It's not about beeing good or bad, It's about the selfreward you get from things like that.
If anyone is asked about the best monemts on a skateboard, they will probably think of when they made a special trick.

Any moment on board is a great moment but for me personally I feel even better when I make something I've been trying for a while.

What I find hard to understand is people that don't try anymore.
Skateboarding is still fun when just fooling around but it can be so much more.

Hope this explains better what I was after.

Thanks.
I just turned 50 3 weeks ago and still skate. However after 2 ruptured discs, partial loss of feeling in my legs and feet, 2 separated shoulders etc. I pretty much don't try new stuff anymore. Fear of paralysis and the need to perform at a job to put food on my table keeps me from progressing, but not from having a blast skating and doing whatever I can still manage. This is the reason I(and probably many older guys)"don't try anymore". Do you think I should tear down my miniramp and quit skating Kenneth?
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Scott/Howard

« Reply #1117 on: January 25, 2016, 09:39:24 AM »
Expand Quote

I'm pushing 36. I have no clue what you're talking about. I've never done this trick ever, let alone on a curb. I smithed it in 2012. It's 2016, I like to think I'm progressing. For me skateboarding has always been about fun.
Switch 180 50/50 revert LA High
[close]

First of all, that was sick!
But I think you kind of proove my point here.
Skateboarding is first and most about having fun.
Still one want to try new things, tricks one haven't done before etc.
What made you try that?
To try new or harder things, to progress, has for me always been a big part of it.
Some older skaters seems to give up on that part.
My question is aimed at them, obviously not at you.
Thanks.
I try not to worry about how others skate.
I worry more about if they're gonna skate and how much beer I need to buy.
Sometimes I do tricks because people don't think I can, because people think I can and because I think I can.
It's the same principle of when you first started skating and all those friends that you skated with.
Sometimes the fire burns out as we get older, sometimes the flame starts to dim and for others the fire keeps burning(sometimes brighter).
Believe me though, I have become a cheerleader(by encouragement and keeping a positive vibe).
Although a lot of dudes live in the past, I never tell them they "can't"
.... just wish those dudes would "shut up and skate".

Actions have reactions, don't be quick to judge
You may not know the hardships people don't speak of
It's best to step back, and observe with couth
For we all must meet our moment of truth

Gang Starr - Moment Of Truth

kenneth

« Reply #1118 on: January 25, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »
I just turned 50 3 weeks ago and still skate. However after 2 ruptured discs, partial loss of feeling in my legs and feet, 2 separated shoulders etc. I pretty much don't try new stuff anymore. Fear of paralysis and the need to perform at a job to put food on my table keeps me from progressing, but not from having a blast skating and doing whatever I can still manage. This is the reason I(and probably many older guys)"don't try anymore". Do you think I should tear down my miniramp and quit skating Kenneth?

Yes!

Thank you very much for a honest answer.
I don't want anyone to stop skateboarding.
I've been trying to figure out why skateboarding has kept me interested for so long.
I loose interest in things easily.
Sure skateboarding is fun.
But lots of things are fun, what makes skateboarding so special?
I think the selfrewards (is that a word?) it gives you plays a big part.
Every time you do something on a board you get something back and if you make something you've been trying for a while ot gives you even more.
A good way to test your thought process is to defend it.
Asking the question helped me formulate what I was after.

Another thing I think plays a part of it is the moments of perfection.
Often when you do a trick you know it's a make before it's done.
Say you do a tailslide in a miniramp.
Somewhere mid-slide you know you're going to make it.
It's even more evident on flip tricks.
When you catch the board, you know it's a make.
You get a small moment of perfection.

Sometimes you don't make the trick even tho you get that feeling.
That often leaves you confused.
"What happened? I knew I had it"

I don't think thoose moments are easy to find anywhere else.

kenneth

« Reply #1119 on: January 25, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »

Thanks.
I try not to worry about how others skate.
I worry more about if they're gonna skate and how much beer I need to buy.
Sometimes I do tricks because people don't think I can, because people think I can and because I think I can.
It's the same principle of when you first started skating and all those friends that you skated with.
Sometimes the fire burns out as we get older, sometimes the flame starts to dim and for others the fire keeps burning(sometimes brighter).
Believe me though, I have become a cheerleader(by encouragement and keeping a positive vibe).
Although a lot of dudes live in the past, I never tell them they "can't"
.... just wish those dudes would "shut up and skate".

Actions have reactions, don't be quick to judge
You may not know the hardships people don't speak of
It's best to step back, and observe with couth
For we all must meet our moment of truth

Gang Starr - Moment Of Truth

Be careful with the Gangstarr qoutes.

Whatever I do, Wherever I go
I want to take nothin less than the best
Whatever I choose, I choose to do
I have to stand out from all the rest
Whatever I do, wherever I go
I want to take nothin less than the best
Whatever I choose, I choose to do
I just wanna stand out from all the rest

Royalty, same album.

Believe it or not, I keep up a good vibe at the sessions too.
People can do whatever they want but I still think the question is interesting.
Not trying to judge, even tho I understand why some thought I did.
Keep pushing!

(And I wanna see that switch 180 50 fakie with a 5-0 instead)

shark tits

« Reply #1120 on: January 25, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »
here's an existential skate problem.
do i skate for pure id enjoyment?
is it more based off of ego?
if it were just id then the feeling of sliding would be enough and we wouldn't yell swears when we slide and loose the plot on landing, right? but if it were just ego then basic tricks maybe wouldn't feel so good.
or maybe fucking up the rideaway screwed up the continuity of the trick that was pure animal enjoyment like screwing. falling can be fun too when it's exhilarating and ya don't get hurt like ya could've.
i get what you're saying kenneth, deconstruct to find out what it is you're stuck on about this game. i think there's a lot to it. old tricks that are easy, going fast, progression, comradery, the aesthetic of ricky o, mike carroll and whoever else looks neat. memory lane of old videos and maybe you remember that spot which no longer exists or an era that's gone.
a lot goes into it, progression is just a part of it that varies in importance from one skater to another.
i have little 'growth spurts' where i progress and long periods where i just enjoy 'spending the money in my bank account' aka doing tricks i already worked for. i got a pal who quit cause his knees hurt and it wasn't worth it to him to fight to stay where he was. no progression, no deal.
just depends on the individual.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1121 on: January 25, 2016, 10:33:39 PM »
Ken....if you ever stop learning....there will always be slam poetry...

coneklr

« Reply #1122 on: January 26, 2016, 12:16:51 AM »
I'm gonna try to get this back to the reason I love this thread ( to see Old Dudes skating and keeping the dream alive! )

My back was killing me the other day but the rain stopped so I decided to push my luck anyway.  First nollie flip and flat bar sesh in a while.  Not that impressive but felt so good just to be out there and able to move around some and at almost 39, I'll take what I can get haha

I even slow mo'd it because I know everyone loves that

little nollie flip but I'll take it

Little flatbar sesh while it wasn't raining

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1123 on: February 17, 2016, 02:36:32 PM »
What up fellow old dudes? You making it through winter ok?
I've got a new part about to drop.
For now, here is my first part ever, circa 1994.
Fak Eye was a skateshop in Madison, WI from 94 - 97.
This was their first video.
A year later they came out with another one. But I don't think that one is online.
Steve Celentani filmed and edited this. He would later go on to make Trouble Shooters and Tactical Manual.
Also featuring parts from Dave Mayhew, Aaron Snyder & Pete Lehman that most of you probably haven't seen.
I'm sure Tbone would have been in here too. But he had already escaped to San Diego by this time.
My part starts @ 9:45. (I beat Reynolds to the punch with this song by at least a decade)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlT5E6BxH8

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #1124 on: February 17, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
A year later they came out with another one. But I don't think that one is online.
Steve Celentani filmed and edited this. He would later go on to make Trouble Shooters and Tactical Manual.
Also featuring parts from Dave Mayhew, Aaron Snyder & Pete Lehman that most of you probably haven't seen.
I'm sure Tbone would have been in here too. But he had already escaped to San Diego by this time.
My part starts @ 9:45. (I beat Reynolds to the punch with this song by at least a decade)

Man, I love the baggy light denim jeans/etnies rap/white t shirt kit that dudes use to wear. Thanks for the feelings of nostalgia.
40 years old, will be 41 in April, still kickn'. Ollied up a long three recently, felt like a champ ;)

can't ollie up, won't ollie down.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:41:49 AM by gearingupforgettingdown »

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #1125 on: February 17, 2016, 09:39:17 PM »
That was sick. Madison has always had a great skate scene, from California connection, Fak-eye, flying fish to alumni and freedom.
Some great spots in that. Matc, camp randall, wharf, cheese wedges and library mall, etc.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:54:51 AM by Stanley Spadowski »
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1126 on: February 18, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Man, I love the baggy light denim jeans/etnies rap/white t shirt kit that dudes use to wear. Thanks for the feelings of nostalgia.
40 years old, will be 41 in April, still kickn'. Ollied up a long three recently, felt like a champ ;)

That's a long 3. I would have been stoked too. Tried to Ollie up this big 2 stage thing last weekend. Size of a 4 stair. Couldn't make it. I still ollied down it though. Guess I broke the rule.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1127 on: February 18, 2016, 08:51:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That was sick. Madison has always had a great skate scene, from California connection, Fak-eye, flying fish to alumni and freedom.
Some great spots in that. Matc, camp randall, wharf, cheese wedges and library mall, etc.

California Connection was the best. I wonder how many hours I spent sitting in that shop. Especially during winter. We'd go skate around, get kicked out, get cold. Go back to the shop and warm up. Go back out, skate. Go back to the shop. I still have such a vivid memory of walking in there and dudes jaws were on the ground. The Blind video had just come in. Watching that for the first time there was amazing. Bought my first video, Propaganda, there. Funny story. California Connection was out of business by the time FakEye came around. In that video I posted, during Jeremy Nichols part, he skates a backyard ramp. On the deck, you can see the old California Connection sign. Fast forward to 2012. My sister, who still lives in Madison, and her husband buy that same house. The ramp is long gone. But leaning against a shed in the backyard is the sign. She still has it.

What spot are you calling cheese wedges?

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1128 on: February 18, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »
Here's my new part.
Filmed over 2015.
Came out last November. So I had picked the Bowie before he died.
Sure signs of decrepitude: in a 4 minute part, I flip my board twice. And half my tricks don't even involve an Ollie.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkJhKhMXV0M

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #1129 on: February 18, 2016, 10:05:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

California Connection was the best. I wonder how many hours I spent sitting in that shop. Especially during winter. We'd go skate around, get kicked out, get cold. Go back to the shop and warm up. Go back out, skate. Go back to the shop. I still have such a vivid memory of walking in there and dudes jaws were on the ground. The Blind video had just come in. Watching that for the first time there was amazing. Bought my first video, Propaganda, there. Funny story. California Connection was out of business by the time FakEye came around. In that video I posted, during Jeremy Nichols part, he skates a backyard ramp. On the deck, you can see the old California Connection sign. Fast forward to 2012. My sister, who still lives in Madison, and her husband buy that same house. The ramp is long gone. But leaning against a shed in the backyard is the sign. She still has it.

The slam walls at the bottom of State st. by humanities. I always called them the slam walls, but everyone I skate with now refers to them as the cheese wedges.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1130 on: February 18, 2016, 10:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
The slam walls at the bottom of State st. by humanities. I always called them the slam walls, but everyone I skate with now refers to them as the cheese wedges.

Blasphemy! Slams should never be called by any other name.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #1131 on: February 18, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's a long 3. I would have been stoked too. Tried to Ollie up this big 2 stage thing last weekend. Size of a 4 stair. Couldn't make it. I still ollied down it though. Guess I broke the rule.

Here's my new part.
Filmed over 2015.
Came out last November. So I had picked the Bowie before he died.
Sure signs of decrepitude: in a 4 minute part, I flip my board twice. And half my tricks don't even involve an Ollie.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkJhKhMXV0M

From the looks of it, I'm sure you could do it easy my man. Sick new clip by the way, I go weeks without flipping my board these days, that what makes it more special when I actually do.

On a side note, I noticed I got a negative point after I posted that last comment and clip of myself  ??? Haha, not that I really give a shit, nor do I even know how or who can give someone that, but I am curious, which one of you spiteful miserable fuckers felt the need to do that after I posted a positive comment and a seemingly innocent clip of my old ass gracefully jumping up something. I'm honestly dying to know who it was, i know we're all hiding behind our computer screens here but be a champ and reply  ;)

shark tits

« Reply #1132 on: February 18, 2016, 05:07:36 PM »
i gnarred ya gearingup cause it seems like it bothered ya to get kooked. it does seem kinda cruel, i don't know.
handsclapinan, noseslide at the end shows lack of decrepitude. lots of good stuff in there, slappy grind up a bunch of stairs, was that curb skate  stopped on the stair side? jeesh!
on t-bone's channel no less.
i dug that old video w/ mayhew the best though. sometimes i'll pick a yr and hit like 'skate 1994' and go to most recent, every so often there's new old gold.
cheers all ya old turkey buzzzards!

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #1133 on: February 18, 2016, 07:56:44 PM »
i gnarred ya gearingup cause it seems like it bothered ya to get kooked. it does seem kinda cruel, i don't know.
handsclapinan, noseslide at the end shows lack of decrepitude. lots of good stuff in there, slappy grind up a bunch of stairs, was that curb skate  stopped on the stair side? jeesh!
on t-bone's channel no less.
i dug that old video w/ mayhew the best though. sometimes i'll pick a yr and hit like 'skate 1994' and go to most recent, every so often there's new old gold.
cheers all ya old turkey buzzzards!

Ha...honestly, really doesn't bother me at all sniffman. I could have tracer kooks on this shit and I'd be dandy. We all live in a virtual world to some degree now so I guess I also get caught up in little idiosyncrasies of people online. I know the person that probabaly did it is 99% most likely a  kook, I have compassion for them. But thanks for the gnar butthole.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:24:47 PM by gearingupforgettingdown »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1134 on: February 19, 2016, 12:22:47 AM »
ha I've given up understanding how the gnar/kook thing works on here!

anyways I'm probably gonna get kooked hard for this: I think I've fully turned into a snowboarder.......
I had maybe one skate day in the last 3 months and 12 snow days. Even though I live far from the mountain. Truth is, everytime I skate now, I think what could happen if I snapped my ankle clean in 2 like 2 years ago. That fear just sucks all the fun out of skating. and I don't mean the fear of getting hurt, but fear of the consequences for work/family shit.

Snowboarding just seems like a safer option to have "kind of" the same rush as skating. you can easily go fast, carve and ollie shit.......plus I've been snowboarding as long as I've been skating, so it feels kinda natural.

allright......kook away!!

and I even wear a helmet while snowboarding!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1135 on: February 19, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
I've skated once in the past month and a half on account of it being frigid cold. I know there were plenty of hardy souls skating Love Park in  the same timeframe but it just seemed like a good time to stay indoors and repair stuff.

I did get some hockey skates so I could take my kids ice skating but they ended up not wanting to go so I started going alone and trying to teach myself how to ice skate. It's actually really fun to go fast around corners and stuff. I might be turning into Tracer.

Bonefish

« Reply #1136 on: February 19, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »
lol i think Tracer plays roller. I've been playing hockey for a few years, but after having skated for so long there is absolutely no way I would ever put on rollerblades; ice or bust.

Truth is, everytime I skate now, I think what could happen if I snapped my ankle clean in 2 like 2 years ago. That fear just sucks all the fun out of skating. and I don't mean the fear of getting hurt, but fear of the consequences for work/family shit.

I'm the same way now. I've broken 4 bones from skating and never really gotten too shook by it, but last spring I partially tore my MCL and I am so fucking terrified of having to deal with ligament injury again.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1137 on: February 21, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »
I feel ya, Frenchie. I've finally made the old guy transition into skating transition for the same reason. My shoulder, neck & upper back are, I think, permanently fucked. Which means literally everytime I fall - ANY kind of fall, even just your basic flatground drop & roll - there's a good chance I'll be unable to move or walk for a few days. Which means I can't skate at ALL. Which sucks.:(

So, I ain't giving up skating yet by a long shot, but I am making a serious effort to not FALL, which means less risky shit & more low-impact transition stuff right now.

There are lots of days now where my skating kinda resembles the way people go jogging. I go park in downtown Escondido at like 8 in the morning & just push around for like an hour, doing nothing but pushing hard & doing little ollies. Still hoping if I can not fall for a few months straight my injuries might heal & I can get back to tricks. But something tells me the bell is tolling for me getting buck on this kid's toy.

But I'll push & do ollies until I'm fucking crippled.

N.L.

« Reply #1138 on: February 21, 2016, 10:42:42 AM »
I sessioned with a group of old men yesterday. Probably age range from about 35 to 45 plus. Some serious slaying went down and I'm not talking about token slash grinds. Five hours  non-stop, two backyard bowls. More grinds than beers for once... It was a beautiful thing.

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #1139 on: February 21, 2016, 11:02:18 AM »
I think it would be rad to have an over 35 meet up like once a month.. Bay Area old heads what's up?