Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301605 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1260 on: December 17, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »

I have a no wife and kids policy on sessions. I go early, get back by noon so the day isn't spent.  But it's for exactly that reason. Also, sometimes dad just needs a break.
you never know about pre-cum 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1261 on: December 17, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »
Sleazy....just started getting 3 flips this year....they are horrific and I can only do them with the aid of a bank....but who knew....nollie or switch flips in 2017....last year I got switch heels and i can do he odd nollie heel....

We'll get our rezzies up on here soon....

I don't have kids but yah....I'd treat them as different missions....I'm kinda like that w bros...they don't want to watch me try three flips for an hour..so I just cruise around when I'm with the old guys.....

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1262 on: December 20, 2016, 08:48:38 AM »
Inspired by Shitbag last year (our birthdays are right around the same time); I set out to do 40 tricks for my 40th birthday. I knew I had to do it somewhere like PQ here, where there are lots of options. No way am I pulling it off like Shitbag did, all on one obstacle.
This almost got cancelled real quick. With only 6 tricks under my belt I smacked my knee really hard. Went and got a bag of ice, took a break, switched from my normal skate intake of sativa only over to a heavy indica, and went back in. Then around #12, I fell and hit the back of my head on the corner of a ledge. Got a little bump.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOOaXabg3lu/?taken-by=washedupwarriors
Thought I might have to seriously downgrade this thing. Does it still count if I slash grind in 20 different areas of the park? Maybe I should get all Magenta and do some powerslides? Wear the same outfit and work on this for the next month?
But, when you got local legends like Oscar Jordan and Willy Santos there to hype you up, you have to push on. Anyone who knows me knows I'm terrible at manuals. Besides vert, they would be the weak link in my skateboard chain. I don't have the balance or patience for them. So, after I did that hippy jump I'm looking around trying to decide what to do for my last trick. Willy asked if I had done any manuals and suggested I do that nose manual up. I laughed and said it might take me until I'm 41. Sure enough, it was a little battle. But when Willy throws out a request, you try to comply.
Huge thank you to Tbone for filming and editing this. My #1 go to old dude partner in crime for decades now.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebgAP4wvC_Y

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1263 on: December 20, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »
Inspired by Shitbag last year (our birthdays are right around the same time); I set out to do 40 tricks for my 40th birthday. I knew I had to do it somewhere like PQ here, where there are lots of options. No way am I pulling it off like Shitbag did, all on one obstacle.
This almost got cancelled real quick. With only 6 tricks under my belt I smacked my knee really hard. Went and got a bag of ice, took a break, switched from my normal skate intake of sativa only over to a heavy indica, and went back in. Then around #12, I fell and hit the back of my head on the corner of a ledge. Got a little bump.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOOaXabg3lu/?taken-by=washedupwarriors
Thought I might have to seriously downgrade this thing. Does it still count if I slash grind in 20 different areas of the park? Maybe I should get all Magenta and do some powerslides? Wear the same outfit and work on this for the next month?
But, when you got local legends like Oscar Jordan and Willy Santos there to hype you up, you have to push on. Anyone who knows me knows I'm terrible at manuals. Besides vert, they would be the weak link in my skateboard chain. I don't have the balance or patience for them. So, after I did that hippy jump I'm looking around trying to decide what to do for my last trick. Willy asked if I had done any manuals and suggested I do that nose manual up. I laughed and said it might take me until I'm 41. Sure enough, it was a little battle. But when Willy throws out a request, you try to comply.
Huge thank you to Tbone for filming and editing this. My #1 go to old dude partner in crime for decades now.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebgAP4wvC_Y
Sick man. I've got a bit over a year until I hit 40 and I'm definitely going to have to film all year to get 40 clips. One day is no joke.

N.L.

« Reply #1264 on: December 24, 2016, 02:39:34 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOaqY52BQ8X/?taken-by=foulweather&hl=en

Got it one last Tre Before Trump.

Flip tricks after 40....  ::)

shark tits

« Reply #1265 on: December 24, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOaqY52BQ8X/?taken-by=foulweather&hl=en

Got it one last Tre Before Trump.

Flip tricks after 40....  ::)
uh! 3 flip butterz!!!
nice 5-0s and slappies. curbs sounded really loud on my computer.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1266 on: December 24, 2016, 07:38:19 PM »
I can't tell if this kid was being a dick or just naive but I never felt so old in my life. So I'm at the park yesterday, sometimes when I get off work I like to cruise though the park get my trick and get out. It was one of those days. So he comes up to me and ask "what trick are you trying?" It was quite oblivious since I been at the same 1/4 pipe for the last 20mins. "backside noseblunt" I reply. "Oh yeah, well I slid the whole thing yesterday and popped it back in." Thanks for making my day kid.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #1267 on: December 24, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »
That was dope. Props Sir.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1268 on: December 26, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »
Attempting to learn feebles

https://instagram.com/p/BN_ITA2A4e8/
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

calvinsdream

« Reply #1269 on: December 26, 2016, 02:47:33 PM »
Just to introduce myself, I'm 30 and have been skating for four years. I didn't skate when I was a kid. The first two years were banal and tough, but now I've got some of the basics (180s, powerslides, ollies, manuals) consistent, I've been having a lot more fun. I'm not that social and have never skated with anyone outside of a lesson at Commonwealth, so I imagine I still look pretty wonky.

calvinsdream

« Reply #1270 on: December 27, 2016, 08:43:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Just to introduce myself, I'm 30 and have been skating for four years. I didn't skate when I was a kid. The first two years were banal and tough, but now I've got some of the basics (180s, powerslides, ollies, manuals) consistent, I've been having a lot more fun. I'm not that social and have never skated with anyone outside of a lesson at Commonwealth, so I imagine I still look pretty wonky.
[close]

Nice to see someone with a similar experience. Especially the part about the first two years being one fucking chore. But it's getting better everyday for me. Nowhere near good, but still! Hopefully I'll be doing cool shit by the age of 30, and earn the right to post around the clock in this thread. I'd tell you to go skate with people, but that's something I don't really do... I'm happy when I find nobody at the places I like to go! But keep it up, man!

Thanks dude! I'm definitely one of the early morning skatepark dudes. Nice to know there's others!

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1271 on: December 27, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice to see someone with a similar experience. Especially the part about the first two years being one fucking chore. But it's getting better everyday for me. Nowhere near good, but still! Hopefully I'll be doing cool shit by the age of 30, and earn the right to post around the clock in this thread. I'd tell you to go skate with people, but that's something I don't really do... I'm happy when I find nobody at the places I like to go! But keep it up, man!
[close]
Live
Thanks dude! I'm definitely one of the early morning skatepark dudes. Nice to know there's others!
Just curious, but how does someone get in to skating at 26?
you never know about pre-cum 

Heather Chandler

« Reply #1272 on: December 27, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
Just turned 44 over the holidays. My birthday wish for 30+ only skateparks, as I hate 95% of all teenagers. 

calvinsdream

« Reply #1273 on: December 27, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Live
[close]

I was watching a lot of skate videos for about a year, and kind of started doing it to prove to myself that I could, I guess? How does one normally get into it?

shark tits

« Reply #1274 on: December 27, 2016, 12:30:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Live
[close]
[close]

I was watching a lot of skate videos for about a year, and kind of started doing it to prove to myself that I could, I guess? How does one normally get into it?
through freinds in your adolescence or teen years. it's unique to pick it up later, most 26 yr olds have a mental block like 'i wish i started when i was 13' that prevents them from following their interest [applies to anything requiring courage].
never too late.
welcome!

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1275 on: December 27, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Live
[close]
[close]

[close]
through freinds in your adolescence or teen years. it's unique to pick it up later, most 26 yr olds have a mental block like 'i wish i started when i was 13' that prevents them from following their interest [applies to anything requiring courage].
never too late.
welcome!

Truth. In my case, I started just before turning 24. I'd start sooner in my adult life, but I was busy with school, working fulltime, and with a nagging ankle injury that just made me squeamish... once I got less busy with studies, I bought a shitty complete online and started to try and learn. Best decision I took in my whole life. My ankle never stopped hurting, but the extra strength really helps.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1276 on: December 27, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
That's what I've really enjoyed and acknowledge how rad it is in that skateboarding is way more broad than it used to be.....we can talk about the good ole days but they clearly were not conducive to old skaters let alone newbies starting....

They have a crew of adult never skaters or midlife crisis dudes and I'm down to help them out.....a ton of chicks too...that are late 20's plus.... Longboard cross overs.....I don't give a shit....there's always some aspect of skating or skate culture you can get down with....

I skate in the am..between 9-10:30 is usually before street razors show up....it's called gentlemans hour.....

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1277 on: December 27, 2016, 11:56:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Funny, i'm 34 and i feel like i'm not old enough to post on this thread :D
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #1278 on: December 31, 2016, 06:17:06 PM »
Just wanted to take some time to say what's up to all the fellow old dudes. This is by far one of the best threads SLAP has. Glad to see so many dudes still ripping in late 30's and 40's. Totally inspiring... Although not too much skating going on for me right now due to injuries and weather. I guess it's better to be recovering from injuries in the winter rather than the middle of summer though. I'll be 37 pretty soon. Kinda feels like I'm getting up there in age, but seeing so many dude's clips in this thread and seeing so many pros in their 40's still ripping helps to keep the motivation levels high. I hit 5 years of sobriety in November so I'm pretty stoked on that. Just trying to eat healthy and not gain too much winter weight right now. Hope that all of you old dudes and young dudes too are having a good safe holiday. Thanks to all that contribute to this thread and keep the old dude vibe going. Man 2017, still remember being a little kid skating in parking lots by myself when I first discovered East Bay punk rock and being such a goofy little skate dude and thinking I was so cool when I got my first set of Thunders. I'm pretty much still just a goofy skate dork. Have a good new years everyone!!! :)

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1279 on: January 13, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »
I decided to try and learn kickflips at the ripe and tender age of 43.  Never learned them when I was a kid.  Skipped it.

Any tips?   This is frustrating. 
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

shark tits

« Reply #1280 on: January 13, 2017, 10:10:42 AM »
I decided to try and learn kickflips at the ripe and tender age of 43.  Never learned them when I was a kid.  Skipped it.

Any tips?   This is frustrating. 
skate faster.
nah i'm joking. this is sort of corny but if you hang onto 2 chairs and get used to flipping it stationary w/ that extra milisecond in the air maybe it will give you the confidence to do them normal?
that's all i can think of.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #1281 on: January 13, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »
Expand Quote
I decided to try and learn kickflips at the ripe and tender age of 43.  Never learned them when I was a kid.  Skipped it.

Any tips?   This is frustrating.  
[close]
skate faster.
nah i'm joking. this is sort of corny but if you hang onto 2 chairs and get used to flipping it stationary w/ that extra milisecond in the air maybe it will give you the confidence to do them normal?
that's all i can think of.

Try learning them stationary on a surface that isn't too slippery, try to keep both feet above the board all the time, keep your weight centred. When I learned them, I put my toe below the front top bolts at a 45-degree angle.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:14:34 PM by Adam Abbas »

Endless Toedrag

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1282 on: January 13, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
Part of me is glad to share the stoke and the other part wishes I could have a session to myself every once in a while.  Skating with my kids is always weird.  I feel like a good session involves a lot more cursing or something...

didn't realize what this thread was all about. super motivating in a make you feel like you suck kind of way. feel like i'm the only guy who can't 360 flip. jsoy, jees man... is that backsmith trick an nbd?

filmed this in the summer

House Park Smith, Fakie Ollie Line

part of my problem lately is that when i do go skate i always end up wanting to bring my kids and then i don't really get to skate. more or less just chase them around the park and make sure they aren't getting in peoples way or getting kid napped. here's a little family home video of an adventure. i'm hoping eventually they will start getting serious\good and help me get more productive.

Grace's First Bank Roll In at House Park
There's a code that ya better know.

N.L.

« Reply #1283 on: February 01, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
Not many sessions this winter and very short ones at that but I did squeeze a quick one in this morning and learned switch feebles to fakie on this tight little wall... Not a big deal but pretty stoked considering.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:05:09 PM by N.L. »

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1284 on: February 01, 2017, 12:35:22 PM »
^ Tight!
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #1285 on: February 01, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »
Not many sessions this winter and very short ones at that but I did squeeze a quick one in this morning and learned switch feebles to fakie on this tight little wall... Not a big deal but pretty stoked considering.

Looks like such a fun park.

So how old do you have to be to get up in this? I'm almost 30 and I certainly feel old.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1286 on: February 01, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »

dope!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

N.L.

« Reply #1287 on: February 01, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »

So how old do you have to be to get up in this? I'm almost 30 and I certainly feel old.

I'm 41 but I'd say 30+ is old in skateboarding. Greco is 39!

Thanks Pals.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #1288 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
dope!

Pretty awesome NL

zippy z

« Reply #1289 on: February 01, 2017, 09:24:20 PM »
I've been at it for 31 years. I'm still in love with her and every time I look into her eyes I get lost in a Cure/Smiths spiral I never want to find my way out of. This is definitely my first love and it will never change.