Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301697 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1320 on: March 15, 2017, 11:20:27 PM »
Raining a bunch here too....so I go and get weird at the mall....

https://instagram.com/p/BQPe5q3jKVt/

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1321 on: March 19, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Here's a quick little montage from last year I made for my blog, age 42. I didn't film all that much and suck but at least I've still got the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZVG161EBEY
[close]
All legit. I like how you're bald too.

I agree.  baldies unite
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1322 on: March 19, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »

nice one j soy
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1323 on: April 29, 2017, 07:50:18 AM »

N.L.

« Reply #1324 on: May 07, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
https://instagram.com/p/BTcYhA2gEJN/

Nice, JSoy! Certified Old Man Ledgetarian....

Old blokes, old park, new coping! I'm so old, I'm the padded one...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTxlc6mhZph/?taken-by=foulweather&hl=en
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:58:21 AM by N.L. »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1325 on: May 07, 2017, 05:53:52 PM »

Nice, JSoy! Certified Old Man Ledgetarian....

Old blokes, old park, new coping! I'm so old, I'm the padded one...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTxlc6mhZph/?taken-by=foulweather&hl=en
I'd be padded up too if I was riding that!
Fuck yeah to JSoy, you've even got some young buck ledge tricks on lock too!
P.s. I love nollie front tails nearly as much as I love the backside version (and despite the stigma attached to nollie-ing into these types of tricks) 

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Basingstoke

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1326 on: May 08, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »

I was in Vancouver for the winter and meant to go to that park, but was told that you had to wear helmets & it would cost $500.00 a session.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1327 on: May 08, 2017, 11:11:06 PM »
I think you can rent the whole place out for $150......I'm not really proud that I skate there....

One more from Venice....I argued with all my old friends why I wanted to skate the courthouse and didn't care about Venice but it was hard to resist.....it was the bucket hat that gave me the edge.....

https://instagram.com/p/BTfoh-TgcBZ/

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1328 on: May 08, 2017, 11:33:45 PM »
ugh, Venice beach park looks so fun. I'm headed to LA at the end of the month for work and am sooooo tempted to pack my board...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1329 on: May 09, 2017, 01:18:53 AM »
I think you can rent the whole place out for $150......I'm not really proud that I skate there....

One more from Venice....I argued with all my old friends why I wanted to skate the courthouse and didn't care about Venice but it was hard to resist.....it was the bucket hat that gave me the edge.....

super jealous you can do laybacks.  :o    I tried to learn that trick for hours way back when and I could never seem to drop back in....I think I did one out of 25 000 tries!
Anyways I'm still in "just cruising" mode. That mini-ramp contest at woodward is really making me itch for a mini sesh though!!

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #1330 on: May 09, 2017, 02:19:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

super jealous you can do laybacks.  :o    I tried to learn that trick for hours way back when and I could never seem to drop back in....I think I did one out of 25 000 tries!
Anyways I'm still in "just cruising" mode. That mini-ramp contest at woodward is really making me itch for a mini sesh though!!

Hope you get one soon, mon ami.

And hell yeah, J. Ripping as always, stoked to see a legit transition trick from you.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1331 on: May 09, 2017, 11:23:57 AM »
I learned the layback in my 30's.....i more or less use the coping like a handicap rail....5-0's are scary.....I go to tail and my hand is all wrong but all the dudes that would call me out can barely skate now.....Obviously the hard thing is getting back up....

You're suppose to grind it out and angle back so your board catches up to your body, but I keep it tight, go to tail and hope I can hold it together going in.

Venice looks rad but it's hairy, slippery and there's tons of people all cheering the little fly out kid.... Next time I'd go early.....

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #1332 on: May 09, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
I'm back out of my New England Hiatus of skipping months at a time of skating. About to try Thunders. Haven't rode them since I was a kid. Worst part about getting old is warm up time. Takes me way longer. Need to start stretching all the time.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1333 on: May 10, 2017, 12:21:21 AM »
Merci Adam... and thanks for the pointers J!

now this has nothing to do with skateboarding but I thought it was funny    ;D

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/french-annoyingly-retain-right-to-claim-intellectual-superiority-over-americans

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #1334 on: May 10, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
Stoked to see this thread going strong and so much shredding still for the older heads.

Been keeping busy with work and raising 16 month old twins which is insane regardless but nowadays I'm getting to skate about once every week and a half to two weeks and I'm fine with that.

Last time I skated I finally learned how to backside tailslide on transition, and let me tell you that shit felt goooooood.
Granted it was only a 4 foot high cement QP that has metal "noping" but you can lock in grinds and slides on it really good.
I got sick of seeing everyone (seems like nearly everyone these days can do them pretty easily around here) being able to do them and why the fuck did I not learn these in my 20's or 30's??

Anyway this trick was surprisingly easier than I had thought it would be, waaaaay easier than backside Smiths which I can barely get into and barely grind, and after the first make I just kept trying it and trying it and doing more of them (I always said if I could do this trick I would do it all fucking day every chance I got) and everything about this trick from the way it looks, feels and sounds is something I can't believe it took me over 30 years to finally experience.

BTW I'm 47 but that shit made me feel 19.
I'm gonna go skate a mini ramp tonight with real coping and if I'm feeling it I'm gonna see if I can get into a couple, maybe it'll work out maybe not, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #1335 on: May 10, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »
A lot of good stuff in this thread! Stoked on that. You guys rule.

I'm 35 and haven't skated as much as I wanted lately as I sprained my foot 4 times during the last year and a half. Sprained it again last Saturday. Seems like the ligaments in my feet are just really weak after all these years.

I'll see if I can make a mini edit of semi-recent footage sometime soon.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1336 on: May 10, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »
Stoked to see this thread going strong and so much shredding still for the older heads.

Been keeping busy with work and raising 16 month old twins which is insane regardless but nowadays I'm getting to skate about once every week and a half to two weeks and I'm fine with that.

Last time I skated I finally learned how to backside tailslide on transition, and let me tell you that shit felt goooooood.
Granted it was only a 4 foot high cement QP that has metal "noping" but you can lock in grinds and slides on it really good.
I got sick of seeing everyone (seems like nearly everyone these days can do them pretty easily around here) being able to do them and why the fuck did I not learn these in my 20's or 30's??

Anyway this trick was surprisingly easier than I had thought it would be, waaaaay easier than backside Smiths which I can barely get into and barely grind, and after the first make I just kept trying it and trying it and doing more of them (I always said if I could do this trick I would do it all fucking day every chance I got) and everything about this trick from the way it looks, feels and sounds is something I can't believe it took me over 30 years to finally experience.

I'm gonna go skate a mini ramp tonight with real coping and if I'm feeling it I'm gonna see if I can get into a couple, maybe it'll work out maybe not, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Yo if you're 47....backside tails life means your hand is down and you're grabbing your nose like the master of disaster.....

Get some 12 yr old to film you and post it!

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #1337 on: May 10, 2017, 05:07:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yo if you're 47....backside tails life means your hand is down and you're grabbing your nose like the master of disaster.....

can confirm, am old, recently learned back tails on tranny, and they are FUN

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1338 on: May 10, 2017, 07:27:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh shit dude I would if I could but I skate with Jef Hartsel all the time and he can do that shit soooo good!!
One hand down, other hand on nose and strrrretching that shit out for distance too, makes it look so cool but then everything Hartsel does looks cool. Also he's the only dude we session with that's older than me so he's a huge inspiration because he's killing it just as hard as he ever did when he was pro, maybe even more so now!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1339 on: May 10, 2017, 10:46:18 PM »
I and I style......

The Duane peters bs tail is arguably harder than the regular back tail.....I'm working on the regs back tail...but when I do them it's all shoe....

Harts is Asian.....possibly on some okinanwan shit which means he ages even slower.....

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1340 on: May 11, 2017, 12:26:55 AM »
are you guys talking about a sort of backside layback ? like hand on coping and going to tail backside grabbing the nose?
I can do those (or at least I could do them.....) and it seems way easier than bs tail slides to me! especially cause the commitment level is way lower. no bad slam can happen if you miss, whereas with bs tailslides well....

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1341 on: May 11, 2017, 04:32:38 AM »
I and I style......

The Duane peters bs tail is arguably harder than the regular back tail.....I'm working on the regs back tail...but when I do them it's all shoe....

Harts is Asian.....possibly on some okinanwan shit which means he ages even slower.....
Dude no doubt the DP backside layback ones are super hard, can't even begin to comprehend those.

Hartsel is half Japanese half Korean I'm pretty sure but yeah he has some insane genes and never ages but still kills it and hasn't slowed down even a little bit.

I skated mini ramp tonight, (it's in between 5 and 6 feet high , like right in the middle) and actually did several backside tailslides, two of which were pretty satisfying but overall still need work on this trick. Still, the fact that I got into and full on slid a couple on real coping felt amazing.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1342 on: May 11, 2017, 04:33:40 AM »
are you guys talking about a sort of backside layback ? like hand on coping and going to tail backside grabbing the nose?
I can do those (or at least I could do them.....) and it seems way easier than bs tail slides to me! especially cause the commitment level is way lower. no bad slam can happen if you miss, whereas with bs tailslides well....
Exactly, backside layback is the only name I can think of that would describe it.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1343 on: May 11, 2017, 05:32:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Exactly, backside layback is the only name I can think of that would describe it.

I actually do one here at 0'30. But now I realize the difference with the old masters like Hartsel or DP: they actually slide whereas I just go to tail....
F**** I can't believe that footy is seriously 13 years old now!!

Sessions 2004

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1344 on: May 11, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
Man Frenchie, you had some smooth style! That was legit!

Im sure my skating rather ugly around then. I'd like to think my style improved as I got older but my trick bag got smaller and smaller.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1345 on: May 12, 2017, 12:05:08 AM »
thanks Willie! Unfortunately the key word here is "had"....

I might have a mini ramp resurgence at some point though! Just cruising 50-50s and slasher grinds would feel good at this point. I'm gonna try and find a wooden mini to get back into it easily, cause all the gnarly concrete parks around where I live scare me now.....

N.L.

« Reply #1346 on: May 19, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »
Been trying to get back into skating things bigger than 6" curbs again....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUSsI1phbTZ/?taken-by=foulweather&hl=en

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1347 on: May 19, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »
Hell yeah!
Pool coping is so fun, not brave enough for anything bigger than 6 feet though.

VOSGOS

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1348 on: May 20, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »

What's up y'all?
Set Up:
Board Hopps 8.125
Wheels- 53 mm CANAL
Trucks- Thunder 147
Bearings-Bones swiss
             Mob Grip
Preferred Terrain: Street
Favorite skaters: Shawn Powers, Ave, Stevie and Josh, GONZ
Music: Jazz, (the mean stuff hard BOP and experimental stuff)
Married: MGTOW
Kids: NOPE
Occupation: jack of all trades master of none, but mainly carpentry and house painting

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1349 on: May 21, 2017, 05:12:26 AM »
Been trying to get back into skating things bigger than 6" curbs again....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUSsI1phbTZ/?taken-by=foulweather&hl=en

West Linn always looked like fun to me although I imagine it's gnarlier in person. Was the refurb just new coping or did they do something to the surface too?

The one time I went out to Seattle and skated Bainbridge (which was probably 7 years old at the time) the surface was kind of grainy, like grip tape. It sucked to fall on.