Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301513 times)

N.L.

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1350 on: May 21, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Been trying to get back into skating things bigger than 6" curbs again....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUSsI1phbTZ/?taken-by=foulweather&hl=en
[close]

West Linn always looked like fun to me although I imagine it's gnarlier in person. Was the refurb just new coping or did they do something to the surface too?

The one time I went out to Seattle and skated Bainbridge (which was probably 7 years old at the time) the surface was kind of grainy, like grip tape. It sucked to fall on.

Yeah, Evergreen skateparks ground down and patched up some of the cracks and raised sections in the surface. Unlike some of the coastal parks in the Northwest, West Linn still pretty damn smooth. Not all the coping was replaced just the more haggard sections. Its strange skating buttery smooth coping again... I kind of like a bit of grip and 'feedback' on older coping.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1351 on: May 21, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »
Jesus....curbs to pool coping is a jump....I was expecting a noseslide on a foot high ledge.....

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1352 on: May 21, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »
What's the name of that asian pro from the late 80's-90's who did long ass lines in So Cal ? He had a pony tail and the biggest pop. He ollied over a tall fire hydrant if I remember correctly.

Very under rated dude.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1353 on: May 21, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »
Donger.....

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #1354 on: May 21, 2017, 09:28:09 PM »
What's the name of that asian pro from the late 80's-90's who did long ass lines in So Cal ? He had a pony tail and the biggest pop. He ollied over a tall fire hydrant if I remember correctly.

Very under rated dude.

They guy in my avatar..

Kien Lieu - The Dreams of Children

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1355 on: May 21, 2017, 09:34:34 PM »
Donger.....
how can you forget Donger tho?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1356 on: May 21, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »
Expand Quote

Very under rated dude.
[close]

They guy in my avatar..

Thank you

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1357 on: May 21, 2017, 11:18:40 PM »
He got the name from sixteen candles no?  Did he even look like Long Duck Dong?  Sucks you get stuck with that name....

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1358 on: May 22, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »
Expand Quote

Very under rated dude.
[close]

They guy in my avatar..

dude your gif game is on point! that ollie fs wallride freaks me out everytime. And now that line in your sig....who is that ? and what in the fuck is that trick? I can't figure out if he does the nosebump or the one foot first! what in hell....

NL: proper smith man...  8)

Vosgos: welcome! You made me look up MGTOW. There is some seriously weird shit going on in American society.....

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1359 on: June 06, 2017, 12:39:05 AM »
well this is gonna be quite underwhelming after NL's spot, but I was repping SLAP hard on sunday with that Huf tshirt.....so I thought this deserved a post!

https://streamable.com/3qsuf

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1360 on: June 06, 2017, 07:05:32 AM »
I always felt Donger was appropriately rated. If anything he was too early.

N.L.

« Reply #1361 on: June 06, 2017, 08:05:55 AM »
well this is gonna be quite underwhelming after NL's spot, but I was repping SLAP hard on sunday with that Huf tshirt.....so I thought this deserved a post!

That place looks super fun. Smith grinds are the best. Can you do backside? Its on my agenda for 2017 but I'm nowhere near.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1362 on: June 06, 2017, 11:45:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That place looks super fun. Smith grinds are the best. Can you do backside? Its on my agenda for 2017 but I'm nowhere near.

it is super fun! That's Meudon skatepark, just south of Paris. There's also a gnarly pool in the back....

And yeah, smith grinds are the best! Funnest trick. Only fs stand-up 5-0 have that same surfy feel but they're way scarier. To me at least. As for backside smith, no way! I tried to learn them a few years back but did not even get close.... Good luck on that quest!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1363 on: June 13, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
a few months short of turning 30 and i really don't feel old at all, most likely thanks to skating. i try and skate as much as i can, which - thankfully - is several times a week, but i also know my limits and when to take a day off, for instance if i've really been skating so much that my body lets me know it's too tired to interact with a skateboard that day i won't waste my time forcing things. that way i can foresee & avoid 'bad' skate days, and consequently save my energy for when i'm in better physical position. i think managing your effort is key, as well as listening to your body in general, something modern society is quick to distract you from, and consists in giving yourself enough rest but also watching what you put inside yourself. some recreational abuse is fine, but always make some time to check in on what your carcass is telling you before you really cross the line of what is reasonable depending on your life goals (i find remaining physically able to keep skating to be a good one - works for me at least, and regularly keeps me in check). also it's fundamental to hydrate yourself more than you think you would, and eat good food (look shit up, cook accordingly, experiment).

i find a lot of that age thing to be mostly in your head. my skating kind of took a dump when i was around 25, 26 because i lacked hindsight & was making closing in on the number 30 quite a big deal to myself, that and - most importantly - i was almost exclusively skating with friends who were older around that time, and they had entangled themselves in short sight & close horizons, making it clear they had given up on learning new shit (or even some of their old tricks again), in favor of constantly raving over the good old days, back when they had acceptable backside flips or whatever. truthfully a few of them had never been that good in the first place, and there's nothing wrong with that at all, but that along the endless ramblings and tales of old spots they barely ever really skated anyway would make them come off as confused, disenchanted young adults with personal difficulties embracing their own growth, rather than genuinely motivated skate rats with a spark.

constantly being in the vicinity of guys in such a mood would make me feel my own age so bad. i started giving up on a lot of my old tricks just because they would stop working, maybe as a side effect of my brain 'adapting' to a fictional condition. i still skated most every day and learned stuff, but i'd really just be messing around with nollie tailslides and step hops the whole time (i still love them). then 2 years ago i had to move back to my hometown which is really small, but always had a great local skate scene, and i ended up skating with younger kids again, which even felt weird at first. turned out they had so much energy, and it was so communicative, we all started to fuel one another's fires. i started doing a lot more flip and ledge tricks again and not only did i relearn most everything i used to be able to do all the time, i also learned tons of new shit i had never thought i would have been really able to do, even as a kid - i even ended up learning some of my 'dream tricks', basic stuff i'd grown up seeing & loving in mags, that had never clicked for me before as a youngster. kids are competitive - they will try and learn just about anything, check in on what you're doing, learn your shit - sometimes before you actually do, then you're the one learning their shit. they benefit a lot from the perspective of skating with older guys (i.e. they get ideas, study postures, apply advice), and older guys can easily benefit from the effervescence, and also occasionally be put in 'defense mode' when you see an insecure kid really trying to bite your shit and you want to show them how (you think) it's done...

that 'getting old' mindset really is a downward spiral one might consider getting out of before they actually get old, as long as they have some passion left, and some spare time (even if scarce). the way i think is along the lines of, life is short and fragile enough as it is, fuck it being too short for one not to ever skateboard the way they always wanted to skateboard, experience the feel of the tricks they've always wanted to feel (albeit that will take the corresponding amount of work). try to remember the 12-something-years-old version of yourself going through their first few set-ups and generally just first finding out about skating, then try to become that kid's favorite (or dream) skateboarder... skateboarding & character goes hand in hand. treat yourself accordingly and age (especially in your thirties which is still young as fuck in the grand scheme of things) shouldn't hold you back. every night i go to sleep feeling like i've never skated as well as today before and i'll skate even better tomorrow (whether i realize it on the spot or not) and i'm so thankful to have that priviledge. experimenting with the limits of what you think you can do, and what you can actually do is a virtuous cycle which to me feels rad as fuck !
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:57:37 PM by silhouette »

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #1364 on: June 13, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
What exactly constitutes an old dude? Did I have to be around for Blind jeans, or do brown cords qualify me?
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

kook nukem

« Reply #1365 on: June 13, 2017, 10:38:52 PM »
a few months short of turning 30 and i really don't feel old at all, most likely thanks to skating. i try and skate as much as i can, which - thankfully - is several times a week, but i also know my limits and when to take a day off, for instance if i've really been skating so much that my body lets me know it's too tired to interact with a skateboard that day i won't waste my time forcing things. that way i can foresee & avoid 'bad' skate days, and consequently save my energy for when i'm in better physical position. i think managing your effort is key, as well as listening to your body in general, something modern society is quick to distract you from, and consists in giving yourself enough rest but also watching what you put inside yourself. some recreational abuse is fine, but always make some time to check in on what your carcass is telling you before you really cross the line of what is reasonable depending on your life goals (i find remaining physically able to keep skating to be a good one - works for me at least, and regularly keeps me in check). also it's fundamental to hydrate yourself more than you think you would, and eat good food (look shit up, cook accordingly, experiment).

i find a lot of that age thing to be mostly in your head. my skating kind of took a dump when i was around 25, 26 because i lacked hindsight & was making closing in on the number 30 quite a big deal to myself, that and - most importantly - i was almost exclusively skating with friends who were older around that time, and they had entangled themselves in short sight & close horizons, making it clear they had given up on learning new shit (or even some of their old tricks again), in favor of constantly raving over the good old days, back when they had acceptable backside flips or whatever. truthfully a few of them had never been that good in the first place, and there's nothing wrong with that at all, but that along the endless ramblings and tales of old spots they barely ever really skated anyway would make them come off as confused, disenchanted young adults with personal difficulties embracing their own growth, rather than genuinely motivated skate rats with a spark.

constantly being in the vicinity of guys in such a mood would make me feel my own age so bad. i started giving up on a lot of my old tricks just because they would stop working, maybe as a side effect of my brain 'adapting' to a fictional condition. i still skated most every day and learned stuff, but i'd really just be messing around with nollie tailslides and step hops the whole time (i still love them). then 2 years ago i had to move back to my hometown which is really small, but always had a great local skate scene, and i ended up skating with younger kids again, which even felt weird at first. turned out they had so much energy, and it was so communicative, we all started to fuel one another's fires. i started doing a lot more flip and ledge tricks again and not only did i relearn most everything i used to be able to do all the time, i also learned tons of new shit i had never thought i would have been really able to do, even as a kid - i even ended up learning some of my 'dream tricks', basic stuff i'd grown up seeing & loving in mags, that had never clicked for me before as a youngster. kids are competitive - they will try and learn just about anything, check in on what you're doing, learn your shit - sometimes before you actually do, then you're the one learning their shit. they benefit a lot from the perspective of skating with older guys (i.e. they get ideas, study postures, apply advice), and older guys can easily benefit from the effervescence, and also occasionally be put in 'defense mode' when you see an insecure kid really trying to bite your shit and you want to show them how (you think) it's done...

that 'getting old' mindset really is a downward spiral one might consider getting out of before they actually get old, as long as they have some passion left, and some spare time (even if scarce). the way i think is along the lines of, life is short and fragile enough as it is, fuck it being too short for one not to ever skateboard the way they always wanted to skateboard, experience the feel of the tricks they've always wanted to feel (albeit that will take the corresponding amount of work). try to remember the 12-something-years-old version of yourself going through their first few set-ups and generally just first finding out about skating, then try to become that kid's favorite (or dream) skateboarder... skateboarding & character goes hand in hand. treat yourself accordingly and age (especially in your thirties which is still young as fuck in the grand scheme of things) shouldn't hold you back. every night i go to sleep feeling like i've never skated as well as today before and i'll skate even better tomorrow (whether i realize it on the spot or not) and i'm so thankful to have that priviledge. experimenting with the limits of what you think you can do, and what you can actually do is a virtuous cycle which to me feels rad as fuck !
Almost 32 here and skating better than ever. You fucking nailed it. Keep it up.

kook nukem

« Reply #1366 on: June 13, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »
Expand Quote

Very under rated dude.
[close]

They guy in my avatar..

Dude! That just instantly became one of my all time favorite parts. Thanks for that.

N.L.

« Reply #1367 on: July 03, 2017, 06:47:39 AM »

Two skateparks and a DIY spot on Friday. Good day.

drcroc

« Reply #1368 on: July 05, 2017, 03:00:29 AM »
Expand Quote
After five years of not touching a board I started up again and... I lasted 10 months of skating every day with a week off here and there.  I'm 29 years old. Recently I rolled my ankle pretty bad (couldn't walk without limping for a couple of months and pain consistently) and then I ate it so very hard after landing primo and slipping out (I wasn't expecting to fall so when I did it was brutal), so I'm quitting again. You could say, "pussy!" but I feel like I single-handedly knocked out all of my coordination with one fall. It would be stupid to try and keep skating cause I know I just don't have that focus and coordination left. I would def. fall again and maybe it would be worse. I can't afford a hospital bill. Confidence went straight out the window as well. I basically juiced myself out of the game in one session.

Not saying I'm never coming back but I feel like it's not as fun when you're by yourself. I don't like skateparks either, just not a fan.  I wasn't good as a kid but I figured out heelflips during my return, there's a special secret to landing them I can easily explain to anyone now. It's this one thing you have to do to land it.

Some random thoughts on my brief comeback:
Being the age I am, I don't like the new trend of wider decks like 8+ only.  I'm 6'2 tall and old and yet I still skated a 7.75 and a 7.6.  If I upped to an 8 it's like what's the point?  I feel like skating a big deck and doing tricks on one is purely for a trend hopper who wants to show off for his instagram feed. But hey, I'm the old dude. ...Not to mention it's easy as sh*t to land flip tricks on an 8.  I know I'm not alone in the thought that those trends of big decks and big wheels ought to have stayed in the past. At what point are you just skating a longboard? If that becomes cool I'm fully tuned out.

Something I didn't pay as much attention to before and I did recently was how "flatground" is many things. Skating a tennis court, is one thing. Then there's the street which could be curved, abrasive, etc. so that's it. Paying attention to all the tiny little details of everything was something I didn't do back in the day, but I learned.  Also I noticed how the old pros will all preach "gotta skate, bro." But of course they're saying that, it's their career, if kids stop skating they're out of money. Don't have to look far to find some older pros that are over it too. Some of them even own companies. I'm glad I skated again overall but I'm taking the "signs" and dipping out. I'll post again during BATB
[close]

Go see a specialist and make sure you didn't break your vagina bone

I'm coming back. You guys were right. Turning 30 in 6 months.

Sticking to my flat ground only shtick and seeing what I can do. The comeback showed me I was capable of stuff I didn't realize I was.

I know this is kind of lame but I sort of want to film a flatground video as my goal. 5 on flat or some tutorial or something. Maybe even just a series of clips, like lines or whatever. Those are cool if pulled off right. I guess I might need to find someone to film me at some point. Any tips for this? I was thinking about posting an ad at a local college for some film studies person or something.

drcroc

« Reply #1369 on: July 05, 2017, 03:05:19 AM »
What exactly constitutes an old dude? Did I have to be around for Blind jeans, or do brown cords qualify me?

My vote is on 28+  I feel like you sort of realize "I'm not in my heyday anymore" once you hit 28. Same in music.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1370 on: July 05, 2017, 06:34:43 AM »
Apparently YouTube knows I'm an old skater because one of Shitbag's videos popped up in my recommended list.

shark tits

« Reply #1371 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:38 PM »
my neighborhood curb where skate dreams go to die.........
funny, i felt like jimmy greco riding up to bricktown but it really does not translate one bit...... alas.
bs 270 lipslide
nollie bs 50=50
bs tailslide. to stop. to forwards.
bs lipslide fall

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #1372 on: July 17, 2017, 03:57:56 AM »
Apparently YouTube knows I'm an old skater because one of Shitbag's videos popped up in my recommended list.
Hahaha

sectachrome

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1373 on: July 17, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
I recently binge watched all the bobshirt interviews and got hyped on skating again. Also just seeing older guys still ripping on instagram and stuff. I've been on and off for the past 6 or 7 years. Just busy with life and relationships. I usually just get frustrated and bored that I can't do even the simplest shit like I used to and fade out again. This time kind of feels different though. I got some cheap Kalis lites and new setup and I'm loving them. I didn't think I'd been that out of the loop, but when I went to buy new stuff and had no idea what a conical wheel was or that 8.5" boards are like a normal thing now I felt old. It seems like Hockey/Fucking Awesome are the most popular brands now but I'm not feeling them. I got an 8.2 Chocolate which is definitely the biggest board I've ever skated and it feels great. I went out and just skated flat at a school parking lot the other night and it felt pretty good. I was eventually able to still do a decent amount of stuff when I got comfortable on my board again. I also realized that skateboarding has always been more of a mental challenge for me rather than a physical one. Once I can get over the mental hump of doing something it's easier than I thought.

All the parks out here in CO are mostly a bunch of crazy concrete tranny stuff. Coming up just skating flat and ledges I feel so out of place. I have no idea how to ride that shit. I never even really learned to drop in well. Just give me a smallish ledge I can't hurt myself too bad on and some run up that isn't directly into the deep end of a 15 ft bowl and I'm good. You can keep all that other shit. It's funny because most of the older guys at the parks are the opposite and don't ever touch the street stuff.

Ineffable Epoch

• Rep: -77
« Reply #1374 on: July 17, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »
https://instagram.com/p/BTcYhA2gEJN/

This has to be the paradigm of how to do a bs 180 to fakie 5-0 to regular. What a treat!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:07:32 PM by Ineffable Epoch »

drcroc

« Reply #1375 on: July 19, 2017, 08:43:50 PM »
I recently binge watched all the bobshirt interviews and got hyped on skating again. Also just seeing older guys still ripping on instagram and stuff. I've been on and off for the past 6 or 7 years. Just busy with life and relationships. I usually just get frustrated and bored that I can't do even the simplest shit like I used to and fade out again. This time kind of feels different though. I got some cheap Kalis lites and new setup and I'm loving them. I didn't think I'd been that out of the loop, but when I went to buy new stuff and had no idea what a conical wheel was or that 8.5" boards are like a normal thing now I felt old. It seems like Hockey/Fucking Awesome are the most popular brands now but I'm not feeling them. I got an 8.2 Chocolate which is definitely the biggest board I've ever skated and it feels great. I went out and just skated flat at a school parking lot the other night and it felt pretty good. I was eventually able to still do a decent amount of stuff when I got comfortable on my board again. I also realized that skateboarding has always been more of a mental challenge for me rather than a physical one. Once I can get over the mental hump of doing something it's easier than I thought.

All the parks out here in CO are mostly a bunch of crazy concrete tranny stuff. Coming up just skating flat and ledges I feel so out of place. I have no idea how to ride that shit. I never even really learned to drop in well. Just give me a smallish ledge I can't hurt myself too bad on and some run up that isn't directly into the deep end of a 15 ft bowl and I'm good. You can keep all that other shit. It's funny because most of the older guys at the parks are the opposite and don't ever touch the street stuff.

I agree, choosing a size when older (and especially now) has me wondering what to do. I skated a 7.75 then moved to 7.625 blank from there. I had venture lows on it and like 52mm wheels. Seemed to work fine. Once I skated the 7.625 for a couple of months I found anything bigger felt really weird, like almost too big. I guess you just adapt to whatever.

I have a rule for my old-man skating, which is flat ground only. As I kid I dropped in on 8 foot vert. I'm trying to learn tre-flips just to get a clip. Other than that I push and do ollies and shuvs and shit. I learned fakie front 180s (fs half cab? meh) Nothing crazy. I was going balls deep ollie'ing over stuff in a construction zone like a year ago though. Once you get into a groove you start throwing caution to the wind, gotta be careful though. I rolled my ankle so bad I thought I might see bone. I also ate shit ollie'ing over decks and face planted. Elbow/arm could've been broken. Shit like that. Skating is dangerous thats what sucks about it.

sectachrome

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1376 on: July 20, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »
Yeah I'm not really about doing anything other than flat ground and smallish flat ledges. I never really was one to huck myself up, over, or down big stuff though. I mentioned to my mom the other day that I started skating again recently and she just sent me a long text telling me I'm old and washed up and could injure myself and become disabled and not be able to walk my dog anymore, and could I at least promise her I would wear a helmet.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #1377 on: July 23, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!

gearingupforgettingdown