Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 140850 times)

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1380 on: July 05, 2017, 06:34:43 AM »
Apparently YouTube knows I'm an old skater because one of Shitbag's videos popped up in my recommended list.

shark tits

« Reply #1381 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:38 PM »
my neighborhood curb where skate dreams go to die.........
funny, i felt like jimmy greco riding up to bricktown but it really does not translate one bit...... alas.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #1382 on: July 17, 2017, 03:57:56 AM »
Apparently YouTube knows I'm an old skater because one of Shitbag's videos popped up in my recommended list.
Hahaha

sectachrome

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1383 on: July 17, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
I recently binge watched all the bobshirt interviews and got hyped on skating again. Also just seeing older guys still ripping on instagram and stuff. I've been on and off for the past 6 or 7 years. Just busy with life and relationships. I usually just get frustrated and bored that I can't do even the simplest shit like I used to and fade out again. This time kind of feels different though. I got some cheap Kalis lites and new setup and I'm loving them. I didn't think I'd been that out of the loop, but when I went to buy new stuff and had no idea what a conical wheel was or that 8.5" boards are like a normal thing now I felt old. It seems like Hockey/Fucking Awesome are the most popular brands now but I'm not feeling them. I got an 8.2 Chocolate which is definitely the biggest board I've ever skated and it feels great. I went out and just skated flat at a school parking lot the other night and it felt pretty good. I was eventually able to still do a decent amount of stuff when I got comfortable on my board again. I also realized that skateboarding has always been more of a mental challenge for me rather than a physical one. Once I can get over the mental hump of doing something it's easier than I thought.

All the parks out here in CO are mostly a bunch of crazy concrete tranny stuff. Coming up just skating flat and ledges I feel so out of place. I have no idea how to ride that shit. I never even really learned to drop in well. Just give me a smallish ledge I can't hurt myself too bad on and some run up that isn't directly into the deep end of a 15 ft bowl and I'm good. You can keep all that other shit. It's funny because most of the older guys at the parks are the opposite and don't ever touch the street stuff.

Ineffable Epoch

• Rep: -74
« Reply #1384 on: July 17, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »

This has to be the paradigm of how to do a bs 180 to fakie 5-0 to regular. What a treat!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:07:32 PM by Ineffable Epoch »

drcroc

• Rep: -42
« Reply #1385 on: July 19, 2017, 08:43:50 PM »
I recently binge watched all the bobshirt interviews and got hyped on skating again. Also just seeing older guys still ripping on instagram and stuff. I've been on and off for the past 6 or 7 years. Just busy with life and relationships. I usually just get frustrated and bored that I can't do even the simplest shit like I used to and fade out again. This time kind of feels different though. I got some cheap Kalis lites and new setup and I'm loving them. I didn't think I'd been that out of the loop, but when I went to buy new stuff and had no idea what a conical wheel was or that 8.5" boards are like a normal thing now I felt old. It seems like Hockey/Fucking Awesome are the most popular brands now but I'm not feeling them. I got an 8.2 Chocolate which is definitely the biggest board I've ever skated and it feels great. I went out and just skated flat at a school parking lot the other night and it felt pretty good. I was eventually able to still do a decent amount of stuff when I got comfortable on my board again. I also realized that skateboarding has always been more of a mental challenge for me rather than a physical one. Once I can get over the mental hump of doing something it's easier than I thought.

All the parks out here in CO are mostly a bunch of crazy concrete tranny stuff. Coming up just skating flat and ledges I feel so out of place. I have no idea how to ride that shit. I never even really learned to drop in well. Just give me a smallish ledge I can't hurt myself too bad on and some run up that isn't directly into the deep end of a 15 ft bowl and I'm good. You can keep all that other shit. It's funny because most of the older guys at the parks are the opposite and don't ever touch the street stuff.

I agree, choosing a size when older (and especially now) has me wondering what to do. I skated a 7.75 then moved to 7.625 blank from there. I had venture lows on it and like 52mm wheels. Seemed to work fine. Once I skated the 7.625 for a couple of months I found anything bigger felt really weird, like almost too big. I guess you just adapt to whatever.

I have a rule for my old-man skating, which is flat ground only. As I kid I dropped in on 8 foot vert. I'm trying to learn tre-flips just to get a clip. Other than that I push and do ollies and shuvs and shit. I learned fakie front 180s (fs half cab? meh) Nothing crazy. I was going balls deep ollie'ing over stuff in a construction zone like a year ago though. Once you get into a groove you start throwing caution to the wind, gotta be careful though. I rolled my ankle so bad I thought I might see bone. I also ate shit ollie'ing over decks and face planted. Elbow/arm could've been broken. Shit like that. Skating is dangerous thats what sucks about it.

sectachrome

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1386 on: July 20, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »
Yeah I'm not really about doing anything other than flat ground and smallish flat ledges. I never really was one to huck myself up, over, or down big stuff though. I mentioned to my mom the other day that I started skating again recently and she just sent me a long text telling me I'm old and washed up and could injure myself and become disabled and not be able to walk my dog anymore, and could I at least promise her I would wear a helmet.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -147
« Reply #1387 on: July 23, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 801
  • Butterscotch yo!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 387
« Reply #1390 on: July 23, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
Sick wallride manny!
The other day I just wanted to see if I still had some tricks I used to do alot.
Realized I used the impossible I didn't wrap instead of the good one I did, oh well.
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/20215151_292409447900521_6277899120413769728_n.mp4

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 801
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1391 on: July 24, 2017, 12:00:03 AM »
Sick wallride manny!
The other day I just wanted to see if I still had some tricks I used to do alot.
Realized I used the impossible I didn't wrap instead of the good one I did, oh well.
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/20215151_292409447900521_6277899120413769728_n.mp4

I really
Like the late front shuv. The surface there looks as good/bad as what I skated yesterday.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #1392 on: July 24, 2017, 01:38:31 AM »
Sick wallride manny!

Thanks...jesus, flatground game is strong my man! I barely want to flip my stick these days...and tend to strictly do 4-5 at most going mach zero..which feels cool enough....but that was impressive.

rothdigga

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1393 on: July 24, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up. 
I travel a ton for work in the skate industry, so literally every single free day I had was spent out filming, when I could find a filmer that is. 
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 387
« Reply #1394 on: July 24, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
My hero!
On repeat for days Jason.

bea!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #1395 on: July 24, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »
That was a great watch.  Keep ripping Jason

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -234
« Reply #1396 on: July 24, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
Murdered those spacer curbs. Sick.

drcroc

« Reply #1397 on: July 24, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up.  
I travel a ton for work in the skate industry, so literally every single free day I had was spent out filming, when I could find a filmer that is.  
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.

Great video. Enjoyed the manual tricks and steezy pressure flip that was thrown in there. Can I ask what was the situation for cameras? Like if you had to call up a filmer, what if their camera was different or what did you pay them, or any details on that part of the production?  I'm 29 here and about to start filming a part myself and I'm a little weary of having it all be stationary shots on 720p, but maybe it doesn't matter if they're all done well. Anyone feel free to chime in with ideas.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -382
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1398 on: July 24, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »
faaaaark, that was epic mate!
gnars for day

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #1399 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up. 
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.

Great part! I am generally very very jealous of all your curb spots and low impact parks you skate. What part of Cali is all that great stuff in? I assume LA? Cali is huge..so I have no idea.

rothdigga

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1400 on: July 25, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.?  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.?  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.?  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up.? 
I travel a ton for work in the skate industry, so literally every single free day I had was spent out filming, when I could find a filmer that is.? 
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.?  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.

Great part! I am generally very very jealous of all your curb spots and low impact parks you skate. What part of Cali is all that great stuff in? I assume LA? Cali is huge..so I have no idea.

Thanks for the compliment.  We've got a ton of good curb spots here.  These are scattered around LA/Long Beach and all over Southern California.  There's a few spots I wanted to film at but just never got around to driving to them, but we've got so much to choose from it's insane.  Curbs seem to be the low-bust option so it's nice because it's usually the corner of a parking lot and people just don't give a shit. 

handsclapanin

• Rep: 149
« Reply #1401 on: July 25, 2017, 10:57:03 AM »
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.?  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.?  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.?  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up.? 
I travel a ton for work in the skate industry, so literally every single free day I had was spent out filming, when I could find a filmer that is.? 
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.?  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.

Rad. I was always a fan of your Big Pants Small Wheels part. And I know a lot of that had to do with the song. I really liked Iron Man.
Now, 25 years later, you're still making rad parts with good songs.
Totally agree with you that the camera can be a real motivator.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #1402 on: July 25, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »

Thanks for the compliment.  We've got a ton of good curb spots here.  These are scattered around LA/Long Beach and all over Southern California.  There's a few spots I wanted to film at but just never got around to driving to them, but we've got so much to choose from it's insane.  Curbs seem to be the low-bust option so it's nice because it's usually the corner of a parking lot and people just don't give a shit. 

Rad my man...sounds soo good. Looking for a new city to relocate too. If I can find a somewhat cheaper area to move too over there, maybe I'll see you around those curb spots someday.

Shifty Flip

• Rep: 52
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #1403 on: August 15, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
Advice anyone, please.
Been raining here past few days, so haven't been skating or walking/hiking at all. Yesterday I noticed all these tiny half inch spider vein ruptures? all over the top of both of my feet, but more so in the right foot. Now this morning I feel what I read is described as nerve pain. Pins and needles mixed with sharp pain on the middle of my arch. Just moved back to MD, so can't get into my primary care DR for a few weeks. Any ideas on what caused this & treatments. I don't have sugar or high blood pressure problems. I'm 41.
Just set up new Fred guest board and want to get on it now that it's drink today, but don't want to make anything worse. Anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

drcroc

« Reply #1404 on: August 15, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »

Two skateparks and a DIY spot on Friday. Good day.

That second photo is pretty dope. I wouldn't mind having that one for myself.

OldieButFrenchie

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1405 on: September 07, 2017, 11:58:29 PM »
Just had my first mini ramp sesh in years yesterday.... felt super good but 15 minutes in I looped out on my first smith grind attempt and slammed pretty hard.

My elbow and hip are pretty fucked, my wife laughed at me.
Good times!

--> Rothdigga, that was rad. I so wish we had perfect curbs like that in Europe!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #1406 on: September 08, 2017, 12:05:26 AM »
After a 20 plus year hiatus front smiths started making sense to me again.....putting my feet close together like all the kids do now helped....

drcroc

« Reply #1407 on: September 10, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »
I've noticed I'm slightly less agile from age 28 to 29. I fell off (more than I thought I would) in just one year. Or maybe I'm just more hesitant because of recent fall and rolled ankle and whatever. Prob both.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:25:08 PM by drcroc »

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #1408 on: September 24, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
It's funny, in my old age(42), I've definitely gravitated towards old simpler moves, like when I was kid but still may occasionally throw in the basic board flip or slightly more difficult/dangerous(for me) maneuver, if the mood suits me.

Ironically, I feel like I sort of skate like these guys  ;D I ain't mad it though.

FS-OverKOOK

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1409 on: September 30, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »
what are peoples experiences with aftermarket insoles? I see the FPs but not sure if there is anything better out there.