Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301540 times)

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1380 on: July 23, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
Sick wallride manny!
The other day I just wanted to see if I still had some tricks I used to do alot.
Realized I used the impossible I didn't wrap instead of the good one I did, oh well.
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/20215151_292409447900521_6277899120413769728_n.mp4

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1381 on: July 24, 2017, 12:00:03 AM »
Sick wallride manny!
The other day I just wanted to see if I still had some tricks I used to do alot.
Realized I used the impossible I didn't wrap instead of the good one I did, oh well.
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/20215151_292409447900521_6277899120413769728_n.mp4

I really
Like the late front shuv. The surface there looks as good/bad as what I skated yesterday.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #1382 on: July 24, 2017, 01:38:31 AM »
Sick wallride manny!

Thanks...jesus, flatground game is strong my man! I barely want to flip my stick these days...and tend to strictly do 4-5 at most going mach zero..which feels cool enough....but that was impressive.

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1383 on: July 24, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up. 
I travel a ton for work in the skate industry, so literally every single free day I had was spent out filming, when I could find a filmer that is. 
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6xiOldRy8M&t=3s

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1384 on: July 24, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
My hero!
On repeat for days Jason.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1385 on: July 24, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »
That was a great watch.  Keep ripping Jason

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #1386 on: July 24, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
Murdered those spacer curbs. Sick.

drcroc

« Reply #1387 on: July 24, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up.  
I travel a ton for work in the skate industry, so literally every single free day I had was spent out filming, when I could find a filmer that is.  
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.

Great video. Enjoyed the manual tricks and steezy pressure flip that was thrown in there. Can I ask what was the situation for cameras? Like if you had to call up a filmer, what if their camera was different or what did you pay them, or any details on that part of the production?  I'm 29 here and about to start filming a part myself and I'm a little weary of having it all be stationary shots on 720p, but maybe it doesn't matter if they're all done well. Anyone feel free to chime in with ideas.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1388 on: July 24, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »
faaaaark, that was epic mate!
gnars for day

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #1389 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up. 
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.

Great part! I am generally very very jealous of all your curb spots and low impact parks you skate. What part of Cali is all that great stuff in? I assume LA? Cali is huge..so I have no idea.

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
« Reply #1390 on: July 25, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.?  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.?  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.?  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up.? 
I travel a ton for work in the skate industry, so literally every single free day I had was spent out filming, when I could find a filmer that is.? 
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.?  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.

[close]

Great part! I am generally very very jealous of all your curb spots and low impact parks you skate. What part of Cali is all that great stuff in? I assume LA? Cali is huge..so I have no idea.

Thanks for the compliment.  We've got a ton of good curb spots here.  These are scattered around LA/Long Beach and all over Southern California.  There's a few spots I wanted to film at but just never got around to driving to them, but we've got so much to choose from it's insane.  Curbs seem to be the low-bust option so it's nice because it's usually the corner of a parking lot and people just don't give a shit. 

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1391 on: July 25, 2017, 10:57:03 AM »
I'm old...I'll contribute on here.?  Started filming this about 8-9 months ago and it gave me some real good motivation to get out there and actually TRY instead of just going through the motions.?  I'm 45, so it's easy to just go to the park or spot and do what you're still comfortable with at a slower pace that is safe.?  But once the camera comes out, you want to take the extra push, land without tic-tacs and just clean your shit up.? 
I travel a ton for work in the skate industry, so literally every single free day I had was spent out filming, when I could find a filmer that is.? 
Anyways...thought I would jump in here.?  It's been since like page 18 or so on this thread that I added anything.

Rad. I was always a fan of your Big Pants Small Wheels part. And I know a lot of that had to do with the song. I really liked Iron Man.
Now, 25 years later, you're still making rad parts with good songs.
Totally agree with you that the camera can be a real motivator.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zExZCwnqdSc&index=5&list=PL9CA2A1ACB9889FC7

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #1392 on: July 25, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the compliment.  We've got a ton of good curb spots here.  These are scattered around LA/Long Beach and all over Southern California.  There's a few spots I wanted to film at but just never got around to driving to them, but we've got so much to choose from it's insane.  Curbs seem to be the low-bust option so it's nice because it's usually the corner of a parking lot and people just don't give a shit. 

Rad my man...sounds soo good. Looking for a new city to relocate too. If I can find a somewhat cheaper area to move too over there, maybe I'll see you around those curb spots someday.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #1393 on: August 15, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
Advice anyone, please.
Been raining here past few days, so haven't been skating or walking/hiking at all. Yesterday I noticed all these tiny half inch spider vein ruptures? all over the top of both of my feet, but more so in the right foot. Now this morning I feel what I read is described as nerve pain. Pins and needles mixed with sharp pain on the middle of my arch. Just moved back to MD, so can't get into my primary care DR for a few weeks. Any ideas on what caused this & treatments. I don't have sugar or high blood pressure problems. I'm 41.
Just set up new Fred guest board and want to get on it now that it's drink today, but don't want to make anything worse. Anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

drcroc

« Reply #1394 on: August 15, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »

Two skateparks and a DIY spot on Friday. Good day.

That second photo is pretty dope. I wouldn't mind having that one for myself.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1395 on: September 07, 2017, 11:58:29 PM »
Just had my first mini ramp sesh in years yesterday.... felt super good but 15 minutes in I looped out on my first smith grind attempt and slammed pretty hard.

My elbow and hip are pretty fucked, my wife laughed at me.
Good times!

--> Rothdigga, that was rad. I so wish we had perfect curbs like that in Europe!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #1396 on: September 08, 2017, 12:05:26 AM »
After a 20 plus year hiatus front smiths started making sense to me again.....putting my feet close together like all the kids do now helped....

drcroc

« Reply #1397 on: September 10, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »
I've noticed I'm slightly less agile from age 28 to 29. I fell off (more than I thought I would) in just one year. Or maybe I'm just more hesitant because of recent fall and rolled ankle and whatever. Prob both.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:25:08 PM by drcroc »

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #1398 on: September 24, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
It's funny, in my old age(42), I've definitely gravitated towards old simpler moves, like when I was kid but still may occasionally throw in the basic board flip or slightly more difficult/dangerous(for me) maneuver, if the mood suits me.

Ironically, I feel like I sort of skate like these guys  ;D I ain't mad it though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYopm1SlWcz/?taken-by=rachellevinberg

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #1399 on: September 30, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »
what are peoples experiences with aftermarket insoles? I see the FPs but not sure if there is anything better out there.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #1400 on: September 30, 2017, 05:52:17 PM »
Id say kick down for sports orthotics....

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1401 on: September 30, 2017, 06:11:52 PM »
So I've been off the board for 3+ weeks because I've been having pain in my knee joints- like they are filled with acid or broken glass.

Finally saw a doctor who said I've got the start of arthritis and cartilage thinning. Also have a torn meniscus and MCL but not bad enough to do anything about. Her advice was exercises and taking it easy when possible.

Bummed that I'm looking forward towards a more painful future and I'm probably going to be skating less - although I think i might get a little session tomorrow.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1402 on: October 02, 2017, 12:23:46 AM »
So I've been off the board for 3+ weeks because I've been having pain in my knee joints- like they are filled with acid or broken glass.

Finally saw a doctor who said I've got the start of arthritis and cartilage thinning. Also have a torn meniscus and MCL but not bad enough to do anything about. Her advice was exercises and taking it easy when possible.

Bummed that I'm looking forward towards a more painful future and I'm probably going to be skating less - although I think i might get a little session tomorrow.

I've had meniscus trouble since I was 18 (4 surgeries to date) and my only advice is go biking.
basically my doc told me: don't jog, avoid running, avoid walking too much. Then when I asked can I bike? He said you MUST bike!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1403 on: October 02, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »
Well I enjoy biking, so that's good!

ontheswarm

« Reply #1404 on: October 02, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »
Just got back into skating a lot more recently. I was skating the Kyle Walkers and no back pain or knee pain and everything was good. Switched to the Cory Kennedys and after about a hour of skating I had a weird pain in my lower back. Didn't land weird or anything just all of a sudden started to hurt. Been about a week and been taking it easy and it's slowly going away. Just not sure what the hell happened. Noticed vulcs were giving me knee pain too so I knew I shouldn't of skated them.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #1405 on: October 03, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »
How old is old? Cuz I'm only 28 but my body is old. I gained about 50 lbs when I got clean two years ago, I've torn ligaments in both my ankles, and I have a recurring pinched nerve in my shoulder blade and my pinkie finger has been numb for about 2 weeks. I'm feelin' it and I'm worried life is going to physically suck exponentially over time.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1406 on: October 03, 2017, 12:16:29 PM »
How old is old? Cuz I'm only 28 but my body is old. I gained about 50 lbs when I got clean two years ago, I've torn ligaments in both my ankles, and I have a recurring pinched nerve in my shoulder blade and my pinkie finger has been numb for about 2 weeks. I'm feelin' it and I'm worried life is going to physically suck exponentially over time.

Not old just shitty but in a few more years you'll be old AND shitty and then it's your time to shine

shark tits

« Reply #1407 on: October 03, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »
you could start a thread called 'babyshambles' for people who aren't old but they've already gone to shit. eat more kale and stretch, in 22 more yrs you can quit skating and go back to being a junkbomb. that is unless tony hawk raises the retirement age again between now and then.
believe me, i'm counting down the days. 9.5 more yrs and i can have a cigarette and drink and not have elbow scabs ever again.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #1408 on: October 03, 2017, 01:23:15 PM »

sounds very familiar.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1409 on: October 03, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
This summer was a tough one for me, had some mental health issues and it fucked up my digestive system, causing my body to freak out and make my stomach in a constant state of distress.
Been skating a bunch though, feels good to be back on board full time.
Definitely learned to appreciate every day!
Keep posting vids friends. 
Helps keep me going.