Author Topic: Nike Janoski info  (Read 4343 times)

ajfdc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Nike Janoski info
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:53:36 AM »
Hello, as you can see I'm new to the forum. I am interesting in finding out more about Nike's Janoski shoe.

I would ideally prefer this not to turn into a hate/love Nike SB debate, there are clearly both pros and cons and I don't quite know where I stand on the matter.

Anyhow, I want to find out more information about the Janoski shoe. I am a huge Janoski fan and have seen this shoe everywhere. It feels to me like one of the few if not the only skate shoe that has really pushed into a "non-skater market". Of course there is a lot to say about Nike's distribution web etc but I would love to understand what sort of figures we are talking.

I would love to know the following and anything around it:

- Roughly how many have been sold?
- How many colour ways are there?
- I read recently Nike bought out the name?? Does this mean no royalties for janoski? If so do we know how much he was getting per shoe sold and how much the name was bought for (if true). Info around that.
- I would also love to know how much the shoe costs to make and how much profit SB are getting for each sold. Any ideas where they are made?
- production time from concept to outcome, cost?

Thanks for any posts, clearly many of the above questions are quite disclosed but I am curious to know more about the shoe. Apologies of course if this is an old thread and has been re-visited many times, if so please link me to it (if possible).

Any other interesting information would be great. thanks for your time.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Nike Janoski info
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »
Hope you catch a big one.
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

bigdickclique

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »
-100 have been sold
-there are 2000 colorways
-yeah nike bought a person's name
-they are made in china for $0.03 per unit
-it takes 3 years from when janoski doodles a colorway on a sheet of paper to production

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »
Billy B Washington is the man who invented it. He said to himself one day, "The world o' skateboardin' need a boat shoe an' I'm jus' the man to do it." Billy B marched right up to the big wigs at Nike an' says, "Hello good sirs...and madam...I am Billy B Washington an' I've got jus' the shoe to make the kids spend their money." The big wigs at Nike looked at Billy B like he was from Mars, but a tiny little man who had just joined the team of suits there in big corpo land says, "He guys...and lady...I think this Billy B might be on to something!" The next day the boat shoe factory in China was all a-buzz with this idea that came from Billy B. Sure as you know it, soon enough these new boat shoe/skate shoe hybrids were rollin' off the production lines there in China and makin' their way across the sea on big boats. The shoe was a big hit, with children cryin' their li'l eyes out beggin' their mommas and poppas for a pair. Every wee lad and lass knew that if only they could have this neat new Chinese boat shoe that was the brain child of Billy B Washington on their feet then they'd be liked by all the other kids around for miles and miles. Billy B Washington and the tiny little man who had just joined the team of suits there in big corpo land had a highball to celebrate and nothing was ever the same again for Billy B Washington.

ajfdc

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »
Cheers for the video. Ironic statement from the man himself regarding idiots like me, ha ha.

Cheers again, good to know.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
Is this for a school assignment? Kids these day are so lazy they want Slap to do their homework for them.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »

clearly many of the above questions are quite disclosed

wat?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

new_york_shitty

• Rep: -18
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
Google is a helluva drug

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
It feels to me like one of the few if not the only skate shoe that has really pushed into a "non-skater market".

Skate shoes overwhelming popularity with the 'non-skater market' is why Nike tried, failed, and tried again to take over the skate shoe game genius.

ajfdc

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »
"clearly many of the above questions are quite disclosed..." I feel that's a fair statement to make, I cant see how the general skateboarder would have some of the information I have enquired over. Most would be know by Nike which I doubt they would want to publicise (I guess (about Nike only having the info)).

Regarding the school assignment, not its not. Just curiosity. I was discussing the topic with a friend after we saw a kid with them on. doubt he skated as he was on a scooter.

I work in the furniture industry and a standard royalty is around 5%, I'm guessing (again) that would be quite high in this situation.

Google is great however when searching something such as this it can take a while to navigate around the good & bad content.

"Skate shoes overwhelming popularity with the 'non-skater market' is why Nike tried, failed, and tried again to take over the skate shoe game genius."....Maybe they are more popular than I first though. Other than general DC shoes and Vans (slip-ons) I haven't really seen a signature shoe take off like this one. I am from the UK however and not aware of what its like in the US. Excuse my ignorance.

Mainer

• Rep: -1
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
have you been living under a rock, u made a slap account for this.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 11:16:36 AM »
Billy B Washington is the man who invented it. He said to himself one day, "The world o' skateboardin' need a boat shoe an' I'm jus' the man to do it." Billy B marched right up to the big wigs at Nike an' says, "Hello good sirs...and madam...I am Billy B Washington an' I've got jus' the shoe to make the kids spend their money." The big wigs at Nike looked at Billy B like he was from Mars, but a tiny little man who had just joined the team of suits there in big corpo land says, "He guys...and lady...I think this Billy B might be on to something!" The next day the boat shoe factory in China was all a-buzz with this idea that came from Billy B. Sure as you know it, soon enough these new boat shoe/skate shoe hybrids were rollin' off the production lines there in China and makin' their way across the sea on big boats. The shoe was a big hit, with children cryin' their li'l eyes out beggin' their mommas and poppas for a pair. Every wee lad and lass knew that if only they could have this neat new Chinese boat shoe that was the brain child of Billy B Washington on their feet then they'd be liked by all the other kids around for miles and miles. Billy B Washington and the tiny little man who had just joined the team of suits there in big corpo land had a highball to celebrate and nothing was ever the same again for Billy B Washington.

I cannot disclose how I know this, but this story is 100% true.

FranklinSt4Ever

• Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
These are good questions. A quick search of Nike's SEC filings and annual/quarterly reports shows that they don't go into the granular detail that you're looking for. I'm sure that if they did go into such detail for each of their "divisions" they reports would be many pages longer. They're a public company, so I'm sure the info around somewhere, but it may be more internal than contained in a public filing.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
ont buy them, you will destroy your ankles. if you want nikes get dunks, way better.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

band

• Rep: 4
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
sorry but i don't know the answer to any of those questions.

gay pride - proud to be gay