Author Topic: Temple University  (Read 14988 times)

ThugWaffle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Temple University
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 04:28:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Bumping this cause I'm considering Temple heavily. I'd be moving all the way from PR, anything crucial I should know? I keep hearing skateboarding is completely illegal.
[close]

no. You get kicked out of most spots like every other city, but it's not as bad as people think. Love is fine to skate, you just need to know the right times/keep your eyes open in case cops show up. But after 10:30pm it's fine. Philly rules, such a great skate scene and lots of good spots inside and outside the city. Plus the new Paines Plaza is fun. And Temple is a great school. Go for it, you'll be glad

Thanks, stoked to hear that.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
Can anyone tell me if living off campus would be cheaper?

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 06:09:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me if living off campus would be cheaper?

Depends on where you want to live. Most of the cheap housing near Temple is in the hood of North Philly. South Philly is also cheap and that's where most of the touristy nightlife stuff is located, but it's kind of a hike from there to Temple, but not too far if you have a bike.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »
I think most of the off campus housing next to the school has gotten expensive. Landlords know mom and dad are usually footing the bill. Anything north of the school is just playing Russian roulette, IMO. Those are some of the worst neighborhoods in the city and when I keep hearing about students getting jacked up there my first reaction is "Why the fuck did you move to Broad and Dauphin?".

As long as you are close to the subway or the El (you'd need to switch trains for the El) you can get to Temple without much trouble. Rents aren't cheap for singles usually but most people I know split a house with some roommates which is usually cheaper. South Philly east of Broad is decent.

Are you an undergrad? If so, I'd consider starting out in a dorm. Easier to meet people, you don't need to worry about little shit while you get acclimated.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 08:16:23 PM »
I think most of the off campus housing next to the school has gotten expensive. Landlords know mom and dad are usually footing the bill. Anything north of the school is just playing Russian roulette, IMO. Those are some of the worst neighborhoods in the city and when I keep hearing about students getting jacked up there my first reaction is "Why the fuck did you move to Broad and Dauphin?".

As long as you are close to the subway or the El (you'd need to switch trains for the El) you can get to Temple without much trouble. Rents aren't cheap for singles usually but most people I know split a house with some roommates which is usually cheaper. South Philly east of Broad is decent.

Are you an undergrad? If so, I'd consider starting out in a dorm. Easier to meet people, you don't need to worry about little shit while you get acclimated.

Yes, I'm an undergrad. I think the best choice is a dorm and explore around the city and learn my way before commuting to school.

JLay24

• Rep: 1
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »
I'll be staying at Temple University from late June to late July. Anybody mind sharing more info about skating there/in Philly? Also any skateshops I should check out? I plan on buying a new board and shoes once I get there.

Thanks!

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 06:10:05 AM »
I'll be staying at Temple University from late June to late July. Anybody mind sharing more info about skating there/in Philly? Also any skateshops I should check out? I plan on buying a new board and shoes once I get there.

Thanks!

Exit Skateshop, best dudes, great location/neighborhood, and the shop is really rad with a huge selection. 825 N 2nd St is the address, really close to Temple.
There's also Nocturnal, 533 South St. Also a great shop, those guys are awesome, it's just a little out of the way.
Can't go wrong with either of them though