Author Topic: New Ceramic Bearings set to be $400!?!?!  (Read 4994 times)

m477

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Re: New Ceramic Bearings set to be $400!?!?!
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Having the Bones Swiss ceramics myself (4 years now), I agree with carter. In the long run, buying Swiss (or Swiss ceramics) saves money, it's just hard to put the money down upfront, and there's always the risk of your board being lost or stolen, that's a big loss.

Anyhow, comparing the Swiss ceramics to normal Swiss, feeling wise, the speed is the same but the ceramics were noticeably smoother. I'm extremely curious to what these Shortys full ceramics feel like. I'd imagine them to be insanely smooth, like gliding on ice, and probably very difficult to heat up (very important to downhillers). I couldn't see myself buying them but I love the concept!

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »
I imagine these are marketed at long  boarders, they tend to care more about functionality (and less about their parents wallets) of their skateboards than we do.

No disrespect to longboarders, just something I've noticed. Check the vids of people doing spin tests on youtube.

This dude has a really good video about the differences between skate bearings and why most ceramic/swiss high prices bearings are a bit of rip off: ABEC, Swiss, Ceramic, Skateboard & Longboard Bearings

Good vid, but he recommends oust moc 5 bearings. Has anyone used those bearings? I haven't even heard of them. Also, are spin tests relevant? It doesn't account for load in the real world.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »
Imagine how much beer you can get for $400.

dillanharp

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
If you're paying more than $30(even that's a lot) for bearings you need to reevaluate your priorities.

dask8d00d

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »
Regular Bone Swiss are worth the price honestly I don't think anything else is a better deal.

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
When it comes down to performance with bearings. Skating does not need much. Steel bearings are rated at very high temperatures, probably a couple hundred degrees. The idea with ceramic is that heat does not make them expand, making them more reliable in heated situations. But to be honest skating does not generate heat high enough to deem a necessity for ceramics.

400 dollars is a rip off, if you really want ceramic bearings get generic 608z bearings that is the size skateboard wheels use. Dont pay for the brand name, one sticker, in plastic packaging.

I suppose generic ceramics could be bought for about 60 bucks at an internet wholesaler. good luck!

how much coke and beer I could buy with 400 bucks? Enough to feel guilty enough to do it again!