Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 14488 times)

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
San Francisco
« on: January 01, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »
I'm heading to SF for a few days next week, any of you bay area pals know of a good hostel to stay at (preferably in the Fisherman's Wharf area?) Also, what would be the quickest/cheapest way to get around?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

god damnit

• Rep: 3
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »
i know a lot of out of town skateboarders used to stay at the green tortoise hostel in north beach. that information might be outdated though. cheapest way to get around is muni, which is definitely not the quickest, but a week pass is $28. they also have 1 day and 3 day passes. in my experience though, skating will get you place to place just as fast, if not faster. theres also an app called getaround where you can rent a car by the day or hour that can be useful. hope that helps.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »
Any reason youre going to fishermans wharf in particular? Anyone will tell you its a terrible tourist trap.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »
Any reason youre going to fishermans wharf in particular? Anyone will tell you its a terrible tourist trap.

yea . . . in many ways, that place is actually about as un-San Francisco as you can get. All out-of-towners. Only locals you'll find there congregating there are the ones that are forced to (i.e. they work there). Fishermans Wharf is definitely not reflective of the city's general vibe/identity.

You're better off staying in basically any other neighborhood besides that one.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »
Like everyone else said, I'd avoid Fisherman's Wharf unless you have a specific reason for staying there. The Green Tortiose would be a good place to start.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:11:44 PM »
My friend's hotel is close to there, and I'm trying to stay as close to the group as possible.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »
That's reasonable. I forgot to mention that SF is very skateable/walkable. Have fun.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 09:16:25 AM »
Also just learned that another friend of mine is in Inner Richmond, so I'm open to there/any neighborhoods in between the two I mentioned earlier.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:09:31 PM »
get a clipper card at walgreens, put $25 on it and just skate or take muni/bart wherever.

David Puddy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
Also just learned that another friend of mine is in Inner Richmond, so I'm open to there/any neighborhoods in between the two I mentioned earlier.
Go for Inner Richmond, it's a pretty nice area and best of all its not the wharf.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:51:15 PM »
Where at in the Richmond? Much nicer neighborhood. I lived there for a year and half. It's a bit of a trek to the wharf from there though. Green Tortoise is in North Beach and just a skate away from the wharf.

Get a multi-day MUNI pass if you can. You'll use it more than you think. Otherwise, MUNI is 2 bucks a ride. BART is unnecessary if you're staying within the city.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »
Richmond district is pretty far out there and generally gets the worst of SF weather. It has two things going for it: Amazing asian food on Clement street and some classic SF house/hill spots...oh shit...3 things...fort miley is in the outer richmond. You'll enjoy it despite it being kind of an out-there district. 
You might want to try airbnb. People in SF tend to be pretty tech savy, while constantly looking for ways to pay rent, so I bet you could find some reasonable stuff right around the richmond area- its full of residential areas.
Best way to get around is to mostly use your skateboard and ocassionally hop on a muni train or bart to get to far-off areas. Honestly though, I've skated clear across the city from the presidio to the border of bayview and potrero hill a few times without really having a problem. Unless you are in a rush to get somewhere at some point, just cruise around, bomb a couple hills, walk up a few, and you'll probably see all sorts of spots from videos that you recognize.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 08:52:28 AM »
Richmond district is pretty far out there and generally gets the worst of SF weather. It has two things going for it: Amazing asian food on Clement street and some classic SF house/hill spots...oh shit...3 things...fort miley is in the outer richmond. You'll enjoy it despite it being kind of an out-there district. 
You might want to try airbnb. People in SF tend to be pretty tech savy, while constantly looking for ways to pay rent, so I bet you could find some reasonable stuff right around the richmond area- its full of residential areas.
Best way to get around is to mostly use your skateboard and ocassionally hop on a muni train or bart to get to far-off areas. Honestly though, I've skated clear across the city from the presidio to the border of bayview and potrero hill a few times without really having a problem. Unless you are in a rush to get somewhere at some point, just cruise around, bomb a couple hills, walk up a few, and you'll probably see all sorts of spots from videos that you recognize.

youre such a kook.

lyserg

• Rep: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 09:00:23 AM »
I was planning on looking to move to San Fransisco for a year and when i looked up the average rent I was kind of shocked. A 2 bedroom here in brooklyn ny is $1200 and i split it with my best friend so its $600 each. Any places i saw were like 1900-2500 for a 2 bedroom. What are some area that are affordable or is everything this expensive?

shark tits

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 09:06:01 PM »
I was planning on looking to move to San Fransisco for a year and when i looked up the average rent I was kind of shocked. A 2 bedroom here in brooklyn ny is $1200 and i split it with my best friend so its $600 each. Any places i saw were like 1900-2500 for a 2 bedroom. What are some area that are affordable or is everything this expensive?
maybe the projects? or those SRO hotels in the TL. maybe those are through the roof too w/out government subsidies, i don't know. we had a one bedroom in the sunset, $1600 a month!

dillanharp

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 01:04:42 AM »
So I was looking at summer internships in the bay area today... Most in SF obviously, but there was one in San Mateo also. Anyone have any opinions on it? All I know is that it's between SF and San Jose, Atlas is there, and Tom Brady is from there. Probably cheaper also. Is there any sort of commuter rail that runs between them? Is that what BART is?

Nah, BART runs from the airport up and to Oakland, then from there splits north, south and east. Caltrain goes down there, it's not cheap though, then again neither is BART. San Mateo sucks, you're better off in SF, SJ, or Oakland.  West Oakland might be a good option and then take the train from there.

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 04:19:06 AM »
Stay at the Sonoma inn on Bush street.  :'(

Twin Perks

David Puddy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 10:29:02 AM »
If you don't mind being pretty far out there, you should look into moving into the Excelsior/Outer Mission area.  It's probably one of the most affordable areas in the city.  Its pretty removed from everything, but you'd be near Balboa Park Bart and Muni station, so everything is pretty accessible.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 10:40:37 AM »
Kilgore could help point you in the right direction of cheaper places to stay

It seems like people really have to get down with the communal living thing to get by out there. I was splitting a room with my friend and paying $350 a month. It was an 11x11 room though which sucked, the apartment was spacious enough but for 4 other people, and all of our friends, it was kinda tough. Although easy enough to make $350 a month. This was in the Outer Richmond about ten minute walk from Ft. Miley, super fun neighborhood for skating.
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 04:58:20 PM »
east bay is more affordable.

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 08:03:51 PM »

Yup I'm in El Cerrito.

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup I'm in El Cerrito.

damn thats far out there, you must own a car.

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....