Author Topic: DayZ Standalone  (Read 22187 times)

Foray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
DayZ Standalone
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:47:18 AM »
Anyone playing this?  Want to join up?

This is still missing a lot of good stuff.  although it is still a blast to play with friends.  I have a group of 4 or so if you want to join.  put your steam id below.

Useful Idiot

• Rep: 24
Re: DayZ Standalone
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Digging it so far. Been lonewolf'n it mostly. Just out in the country checking out things. Haven't been to Electro or any of the military bases yet.

Got to the airfield and was killed by a sniper...
You loves you? Megatron.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »
Would you guys reccomend this game?  I have heard mixed reviews about it.  The point is to kill zombies?  Or kill people?  Or group up with others to become like a powerhouse faction to destroy zombies and people alike? 

Imma go do some research.  How is it though?
I suck at SLAP.

Useful Idiot

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »
It's in Alpha right now, so yea, you may want to wait. That said it's super fun. Go watch some of the videos on reddit r/dayz

People are becoming cops, bandits, etc. It's pretty sick actually.

and look up the wigglers video.
You loves you? Megatron.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »
Would you guys reccomend this game?  I have heard mixed reviews about it.  The point is to kill zombies?  Or kill people?  Or group up with others to become like a powerhouse faction to destroy zombies and people alike? 

Imma go do some research.  How is it though?
there was a lot of PVP/Kill on sight/griefing, at least when it was still just a mod. I'm really psyched the get this eventually though, so much fun. I'm hoping that with a larger player base there will be more zombie fighting and less survivor fighting, but honestly I'd be fine either way.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Useful Idiot

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 05:51:27 AM »
It seems lately the the KOS mentality has chilled a bit, but I think it mainly relies on what server you join.

The last few times I've met other players it's been friendly. Typically we'll exchange food/water.

I read somewhere that the main thing the devs are focusing on now is server stability so they can increase players, then they're gonna add more zombies.

It's fun sneaking around when you don't have a decent weapon. Once you get an axe, zombies aren't a threat, it's the other players with military spec weapons.

30 bucks is steep for an alpha game, but I bet it'll be 60 when it's released, so you're saving money now. Just gotta deal with the bullshit for a while.
You loves you? Megatron.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:42:04 AM »
isnt there a dayZ mod coming for ArmA 3 ?   should be free to play with the same comunity from ArmA 2 dayZ mod ?

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »
Word up guys, thanks for the info, I will probably wait until it is out of Alpha to see whats up.  I am suprised they are making you pay 30 bucks for a game that is still in alpha?  Yet, if you are able to play through beta and retail just by paying a 30 alpha charge, then it makes sense.
I suck at SLAP.

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »
I've been eyeing this game for awhile. Will the price really go up after full retail? If that's the case I may buy it now...

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
My friend just gifted me a copy last night, so I'm definitely down to team up with some PALS! My steam ID is "Forever Sweaty" feel free to add me. I have no gear so far since I just started, but it would be fun to have a gang going.

isnt there a dayZ mod coming for ArmA 3 ?   should be free to play with the same comunity from ArmA 2 dayZ mod ?

As far as I know, the DayZ team is focused solely on the standalone now. There might be an independent/fan mod for ArmA 3 though. I know on the DayZ subreddit Rocket was kicking around the idea of doing one for ArmA 3 but ended up deciding against it.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »
As far as I know, the DayZ team is focused solely on the standalone now. There might be an independent/fan mod for ArmA 3 though. I know on the DayZ subreddit Rocket was kicking around the idea of doing one for ArmA 3 but ended up deciding against it.

Isn't the standalone based on Arma 3's engine?  I can't wait til they add vehicles and more guns.  Hopefully it ends up a lot like the DayZ Epoch mod.  Regardless, right now the game is still really fun and worth $30 seeing as you get the full game when it comes out.  

steamid:
slurmandestroy

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
gonna be at a friends house drinking and playing this most of the day, hit me up on Steam and we can try to meet up.

my steam id: Forever Sweaty
his: enjoi.couch

vans man

• Rep: 4
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
I broke down last night a purchased, so far I'm really enjoying it. I made it all the was to one of the airfields to try to get a m4 or something but died. Time to start over.

era

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 11:59:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Isn't the standalone based on Arma 3's engine?  I can't wait til they add vehicles and more guns.  Hopefully it ends up a lot like the DayZ Epoch mod.  Regardless, right now the game is still really fun and worth $30 seeing as you get the full game when it comes out.  

steamid:
slurmandestroy

Ya I was under the impression DayZ was a mod for Arma 3 and you had to buy a couple other expansions of the game to play.  I'm pretty sure all the Arma games plus the free DayZ mod ends up be ing much more expensive than 30 bucks.  I could just be an uneducated moron though.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:59:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

steamid:
slurmandestroy
[close]

Ya I was under the impression DayZ was a mod for Arma 3 and you had to buy a couple other expansions of the game to play.  I'm pretty sure all the Arma games plus the free DayZ mod ends up be ing much more expensive than 30 bucks.  I could just be an uneducated moron though.
it started out as an Arma 2 mod, and you had to buy Arma 2 and one of the expansions. The standalone is based on the Arma 3 engine, but all you have to buy is the standalone itself, which is $29.99. A word of warning: it's early access, and still in alpha, so there are several bugs. Most of the game ruining ones are fixed right now, but there will be more. As it moves into beta and full release there will be much less bugs of course, but it's also going to cost more, so you really have to decide what's more important if you know you want to play. I fucking love the game though, my brother and I just played for like 5 hours and it was hilarious and super fun. I'd recommend keeping the map open on your phone or alt+tabbing out to it (just google DayZ map and it's the first result) so you can see the translations for the town names and figure out where you are in relation to your friends. And definitely play it with someone. It's pretty fun solo, but WAY better with at least one other person. There's also still some kill on sight players, but fewer than in the mod, unless you're at an airfield or a military base. Then again, airfields/bases have the best gear, so you have to weigh your options. It's also easy to get into a low populated server with frequent server refreshes and you can just ransack places until you're all geared up and jump into a higher pop server for some PVP. Once they add more vehicles, guns, tents, fire/cooking, animals and all that good stuff this game is gonna be NUTS.

What's everyone's steam names? I'd be down to get a SLAP group together. We can make a vent channel so we can all stay in contact. I'm "Forever Sweaty" right now, and I think I'm the only one on steam with that name (search isn't working ATM).

raunchyrick

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
I've played a little bit of this, I see you on there playing a lot, Internet Daddy. I searched forever to get a bat and tried to bat down a zombie, then this guy in full camo and a mask carrying an m4 comes behind me and goes 'hey buddy, hey guy come here' I look over to him and he shoots me in the face.   ;D

vans man

• Rep: 4
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
New favorite gun... The SKS. I'm starting to get tired of carrying 2 guns though but the m4 comes in handy and I come across a lot of 5.56 rounds

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 10:07:55 PM »
I've played a little bit of this, I see you on there playing a lot, Internet Daddy. I searched forever to get a bat and tried to bat down a zombie, then this guy in full camo and a mask carrying an m4 comes behind me and goes 'hey buddy, hey guy come here' I look over to him and he shoots me in the face.   ;D
Haha dude that sucks, I've had that happen a few times. Get at me if you want to try to meet up and go raid the airfield or something!

Useful Idiot

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
I've played about 30hrs and still having found a gun. I'm mostly up north by myself.

Also, check out Bikeman's videos. They're hilarious.

Lord Vader Uses The Force To Escape WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!
You loves you? Megatron.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:21 PM »
I've played about 30hrs and still having found a gun. I'm mostly up north by myself.

hit up the NE air strip, or the ship wreck on the coast, there are almost always gun spawns there. Anything from a .45 ACP to an M4. Also the school in Berizino (sp?) usually has some sort of rifle/ammo on the roof, and some sort of gun and ammo in the closet on the second floor. Barns now spawn civilian rifles pretty regularly, too (double rifles and shotguns usually, sometimes a mosin or SKS if you're really lucky). If you're feeling extra bold you can always trek to the big air field or one of the military bases, but I'd recommend doing that with someone else/a group and/or doing it in a low pop server since those places are always a blood bath.

raunchyrick

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
hit up the NE air strip, or the ship wreck on the coast, there are almost always gun spawns there. Anything from a .45 ACP to an M4. Also the school in Berizino (sp?) usually has some sort of rifle/ammo on the roof, and some sort of gun and ammo in the closet on the second floor. Barns now spawn civilian rifles pretty regularly, too (double rifles and shotguns usually, sometimes a mosin or SKS if you're really lucky). If you're feeling extra bold you can always trek to the big air field or one of the military bases, but I'd recommend doing that with someone else/a group and/or doing it in a low pop server since those places are always a blood bath.

I feel like this game is a lot of fun when you have the right gear. I need to start playing this more, but I also have to play half life 2 ep1...

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I feel like this game is a lot of fun when you have the right gear. I need to start playing this more, but I also have to play half life 2 ep1...
Oh I feel you, honestly play hl2 episode 1 and 2 first. So good. But yeah if you're ever down when my friends and I are on we can make a run for an area with some good loot. Zombies aren't a threat at all once you get a fire axe, and having a gun is super nice. Firefights are hectic and fun, even though they usually end with me dying haha. Exploring and finding new gear is super fun for me though.

raunchyrick

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 11:56:11 AM »
How do you navigate through the open world? There is no IG map/coordinate system so most of the time I just randomly run

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »
How do you navigate through the open world? There is no IG map/coordinate system so most of the time I just randomly run
if I'm really lucky I find a compass, you can find maps of chernarus but they're next to useless. Honestly I just keep this map: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus open in my browser and alt+tab out to check where I'm at. All the proper towns have signs outside them, so I check the english translation of the Cyrillic and find out what town I'm at and how to get to wherever I want to go. It also has the airfields and military bases, and icons for where spawns are and what generally spawns in each area. Super helpful. If you don't have a compass, you just have to figure out where the sun is (can be tricky, and sometimes it's in the north or south which is really weird) or keep to the coast, ocean on your right is north and left is south. I like to stick to the train tracks when I first spawn because they take you to good towns no matter which way you go, and when I'm drunk I make train noises in public chat and roleplay as a train.

The map below is mostly accurate, except the wrecked ship in the north east almost always has an m4 or a mosin, along with clothes and food, if you don't mind getting your shoes and pants damp. Also the interior towns in the "food trail" have a lot of barns and piano houses, which spawn a lot of rifles (shotguns, mosins, double rifles, or sks's), ammo, and melee weapons. Sometimes pistols too. Schools almost always have handguns or rifles, usually with ammo, in the back room on the third floor, and/or at the topmost roof.

This thread is also really helpful: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1w7nmv/a_guide_to_looting_and_buildings/

EDIT: the map was fucking huge, so I'm just going to link it: http://i.imgur.com/Wx6MxoG.jpg
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:20:54 PM by InternetDaddy »

raunchyrick

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »
Awesome  :D Wish I could gnar you. I have a dual monitor set up, so I can leave the map open on the other monitor as I play. The train thing is hilarious.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 10:04:36 PM »
Awesome  :D Wish I could gnar you. I have a dual monitor set up, so I can leave the map open on the other monitor as I play. The train thing is hilarious.
No problem dude! I'm stoked on this game. It's already pretty great, and it has the potential to be even better. Right now I'm dying in the woods outside of Cherno, but before that my brother and I were running around with handcuffs and syringes of our own blood so we can take people hostage and preform medical experiments. So far all that's happened is all my water glitched out of my canteen and now I'm dying of thirst. Best worst game ever.

Jealous of the dual monitors! Sometime soon I need to upgrade my monitor, and I'll probably grab a second one for shits and giggles. It seems really convenient in the long run.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 11:26:39 PM »
I wonder what will happen to production after Dean Hall goes. He's the main dude behind the whole thing, at least he's not leaving immediately.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/24/5441782/dean-hall-to-step-down-as-head-of-dayz-leaving-bohemia-interactive
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 09:32:37 AM »
Is there a way to download this game outside of steam? Like a torrent or something? I just wanna see if my computer can run it atleast in low settings then i'll buy it for the updates and legit multiplayer servers.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
ThugWaffle, I'm not entirely sure. There's a bunch of different ones on TPB, but from the comments there's conflicting info as to whether or not it actually works. Solid amount of seeders though, so that's promising.

I wonder what will happen to production after Dean Hall goes. He's the main dude behind the whole thing, at least he's not leaving immediately.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/24/5441782/dean-hall-to-step-down-as-head-of-dayz-leaving-bohemia-interactive

he's been pretty open on the subreddit about how he's going to be stepping down eventually, as he put it once he becomes more of a hindrance than a help to the game. He trusts the dev. team and I'm sure they'll be fine going forward. It is going to be strange having him not be associated with it anymore though.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 08:18:15 AM »
Is there a way to download this game outside of steam? Like a torrent or something? I just wanna see if my computer can run it atleast in low settings then i'll buy it for the updates and legit multiplayer servers.

You should be able to run it on any decent machine built in like the last 6 years.

A decent graphics card helps as well.

That being said, motions and melee are still a bit rough in the Alpha.

Sweet time concept with the backpacks and caches, feels like a real survival mission.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans