Author Topic: Polished Granite Slabs for diy located in Upstate NY (2hrs north of albany)  (Read 6641 times)

coneklr

* All measurements were estimates made with my eye's so could be off a bit

Ok so this is currently a feeler.  Here is the story ...

I noticed a granite (countertops/headstone) store had went out of business locally.  And they have a sign up for final sale of all pieces starting at $20 a piece.  So I pulled up and looked at some (it was darker so I couldn't get pics) which some were too small to be great for anything but there were some that were 1-2' wide and about 6' long.  Some smaller pieces that may be usable for something and also some real big ones that were like 4'x8'.  All look to be 1-2" thick.  They also had some curb looking square pieces that were like 6"x6" and a 3-4' long (not polished)

Anyway, my plan is to use them with a mortared/creted cinder block base and cap the top with the granite to create a really cool diy ledge on the cheap.  Or if I grab one of those 4'x8' sheets cap a full manual pad with polished granite.

So I'm posting this because if anyone is interested add sizes you'd be interested in and max you'd be willing to spend and I'll try to buy as much as I can afford/fit in the truck.  Then I can just store it and we can arrange for you to get it whenever.  I'm going to try to do it this week because the earlier I do the better pieces i can get.

I understand if you want to see it before you purchase it, I'm only setting this up to see how much interest there would be.

This is the type material
http://goo.gl/0zELQG

phatwheelz

location would help

coneklr

location would help

It's in the title, but Plattsburgh is most likely where it will be stored.  I'm picking it up in Vermont this week and had contemplated storing it there instead and either spot is about 2hrs north of Albany, which is why that was all I put.  But it will 95% chance be in Plattsburgh - 5% Burlington ( if something happens where I can't get the truck on the time I have to go over).  

Rusty_Berrings

Expand Quote
location would help
[close]

It's in the title, but Plattsburgh is most likely where it will be stored.  I'm picking it up in Vermont this week and had contemplated storing it there instead and either spot is about 2hrs north of Albany, which is why that was all I put.  But it will 95% chance be in Plattsburgh - 5% Burlington ( if something happens where I can't get the truck on the time I have to go over).  

Where in VT??? Barre?? Shark_Tits, u want me to grab u a piece?

shark tits

[/quote]
hell yeah rusty, i'd appreciate that. maybe even 2.

coneklr

It's between Burlington and Williston.  I left them a message and told them I was going to buy as much as I could fit in the truck if the price was right.  So we'll see.  I'm gonna head over midweek, I'll snap some pics and have a better idea on pricing.  After I buy it I'm gonna store it in either my basement in NY or at a friend in VT.  If I have the truck, I'll have it in NY though.

coneklr

Also guys I'm down to meet up half way maybe.  Or if you wanted to come up here, depending on weather we could hit the ramp or the diy spot

Rusty_Berrings

Expand Quote

[close]

It's between Burlington and Williston.  I left them a message and told them I was going to buy as much as I could fit in the truck if the price was right.  So we'll see.  I'm gonna head over midweek, I'll snap some pics and have a better idea on pricing.  After I buy it I'm gonna store it in either my basement in NY or at a friend in VT.  If I have the truck, I'll have it in NY though.

So like, Essex then? Shelburne? U sure it's thick enough to use?

coneklr

I think it is still considered Burlington maybe South Burlington.  The way that the towns break up in VT is really strange.  And from the look I had yes, but ... I am no expert.  I'm planning on it being 100% supported so I'm not really concerned or I'm stupid and know no better.  That being said, I plan on buying more than I will need, so I will have pics and extra.  Of course this will all depend on how much of a deal they'll give me to buy a lot vs of a couple pieces.  I will post pics when I see it go there this week.  I will also buy more than I need.  What I really need to know is the sizes you'd be looking for ideally.  What is the min dimensions of what you'd want (include thickness if you have a feel for what you think would be solid) and tops you'd be willing to spend.  And I will try to make the best deal to buy the most I can.  Or if you can get up there soon and want to deal with it yourself I'll get you the address/number.  Either way is good with me.  A few extra pieces for me to store shouldn't be a big deal.

But I'm not asking for any money upfront, and you don't even have to take it after.  I'm just looking to see if I can help anyone else's diy's at the same time

Rusty_Berrings

Expand Quote
[close]

I think it is still considered Burlington maybe South Burlington.  The way that the towns break up in VT is really strange.  And from the look I had yes, but ... I am no expert.  I'm planning on it being 100% supported so I'm not really concerned or I'm stupid and know no better.  That being said, I plan on buying more than I will need, so I will have pics and extra.  Of course this will all depend on how much of a deal they'll give me to buy a lot vs of a couple pieces.  I will post pics when I see it go there this week.  I will also buy more than I need.  What I really need to know is the sizes you'd be looking for ideally.  What is the min dimensions of what you'd want (include thickness if you have a feel for what you think would be solid) and tops you'd be willing to spend.  And I will try to make the best deal to buy the most I can.  Or if you can get up there soon and want to deal with it yourself I'll get you the address/number.  Either way is good with me.  A few extra pieces for me to store shouldn't be a big deal.

But I'm not asking for any money upfront, and you don't even have to take it after.  I'm just looking to see if I can help anyone else's diy's at the same time

Yeah, get me the business name and address and maybe telephone number. Are they going out of business or something? Why do this in the middle of winter? I wouldn't mind checking out ur DIY sometime btw...

coneklr

I drove by and their building had changed to one of those small stand alone Sears and there was a spray painted plywood sign that said Granite starting at $20.  So I'm pretty sure they are going out of business, especially since they are only open 3-4hrs mon -wed or something like that according to their message.

Zoom out and you can see all of the granite they used to have ... it's down to 1-2 rows now
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.458399,-73.12974&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&gl=us&ie=UTF8&ll=44.458107,-73.130071&spn=0.000799,0.000877&z=21&layer=c&cbll=44.458107,-73.130071&panoid=6trpn8NYJGFXS_ic0fIQhg&cbp=12,26.74,,0,0

Rusty_Berrings

I drove by and their building had changed to one of those small stand alone Sears and there was a spray painted plywood sign that said Granite starting at $20.  So I'm pretty sure they are going out of business, especially since they are only open 3-4hrs mon -wed or something like that according to their message.

Zoom out and you can see all of the granite they used to have ... it's down to 1-2 rows now
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.458399,-73.12974&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&gl=us&ie=UTF8&ll=44.458107,-73.130071&spn=0.000799,0.000877&z=21&layer=c&cbll=44.458107,-73.130071&panoid=6trpn8NYJGFXS_ic0fIQhg&cbp=12,26.74,,0,0
well there's obviously snow on it now then. u sure they're even still there?

coneklr

Haha, that's what I'm saying.  I stopped a few days ago, but it was dark and they are almost not open anymore ( a few hours a day a few days a week) so I had no one to ask and there was one full row of pieces left that had a few potentially skate friendly slabs, a few off to the side that would be perfect, and a couple of the 4x8 sheets left.  Then some misc grave site type deals.  That is what is there right now.  That is why I'm in a hurry to go over this week and get mine.

Rusty_Berrings

Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, that's what I'm saying.  I stopped a few days ago, but it was dark and they are almost not open anymore ( a few hours a day a few days a week) so I had no one to ask and there was one full row of pieces left that had a few potentially skate friendly slabs, a few off to the side that would be perfect, and a couple of the 4x8 sheets left.  Then some misc grave site type deals.  That is what is there right now.  That is why I'm in a hurry to go over this week and get mine.

word so what's this DIY in Plattsburgh like?

coneklr

Here's a few of the things.  Some things are pretty awesome some not so much.

banked ledge with ledge on the backside ( me super fun front feebs on banked side )

barrier

random (polejam/temp wood box/bench/rails)

This was the first pour ... it wraps around the corner

Built in sidewalk bump ( me ollieing movable fence ;) )

shark tits

that place looks awesome coeklr!

coneklr

that place looks awesome coeklr!

It'll be even better this year with the few plans we have.  We should have a pals weekend this summer ... the state beach/campsite is about a quarter mile from it and then the bowl in the garage is a couple miles too!  Fuck if anyone wanted to film, I could bring you to some street spots around town too.  Haha

Lance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I'd be down to bring a car load of dudes from Albany this summer for a weekend at that campground and DIY skating, maybe even a quick trip to Montreezy for an evening!
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

coneklr

I'd be down to bring a car load of dudes from Albany this summer for a weekend at that campground and DIY skating, maybe even a quick trip to Montreezy for an evening!

Fuck yeah!  I'm sure the guys would be psyched and it'd be a good time

coneklr

So bad news ... they finally got back to me and someone from another stone store bought pretty much all of the good slabs.  I'm going to check through what's left to see if I can still salvage some for tops for cinderblock ledges but it's going to be limited.  I'll still buy as much as I can that would be good for diys and if anyone wants some we can figure it out.  Otherwise let me know if you'll be around Plattsburgh and want to skate

Rusty_Berrings

So bad news ... they finally got back to me and someone from another stone store bought pretty much all of the good slabs.  I'm going to check through what's left to see if I can still salvage some for tops for cinderblock ledges but it's going to be limited.  I'll still buy as much as I can that would be good for diys and if anyone wants some we can figure it out.  Otherwise let me know if you'll be around Plattsburgh and want to skate

damn that's a bummer. thanks for letting me know so i didn't drive an hour up there to be bummed out.

coneklr

Expand Quote
[close]

damn that's a bummer. thanks for letting me know so i didn't drive an hour up there to be bummed out.

If I can score some pieces wide enough to cover a cinderblock ledge I'll let you know.  I'm thinking if I could get the correct width and a few feet long, I could still put them together and make a 5-8' long ledge like the ones that are usually capped with angle iron.  I'll let you know.  Either way if you are up around Burlington or Plattsburgh and want to get together let me know

Rusty_Berrings

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If I can score some pieces wide enough to cover a cinderblock ledge I'll let you know.  I'm thinking if I could get the correct width and a few feet long, I could still put them together and make a 5-8' long ledge like the ones that are usually capped with angle iron.  I'll let you know.  Either way if you are up around Burlington or Plattsburgh and want to get together let me know

Any time man. I got some sick DIY ideas I wouldn't mind bringing to life also.

coneklr

Re: Polished Granite Slabs for diy located in Upstate NY (2hrs north of albany)
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 04:20:13 PM »
Rusty and Shark Tits, I talked to the owner and a few pieces that I was originally told weren't available he said he'd sell me.  They are approx 12-14" wide and 8-9' long (he said 70-80 each but I'm gonna try to negotiate a bit).  Post up tonight if there is any interest and I'll pick up an extra piece or two.  No obligation to buy, I just want to be able to help someone else out if I can.  Ralph and I are gonna try to take the truck over tomorrow am to pick up the slabs if we can make it with all of this fucking snow!  Anyway, let me know if those sizes are something you'd be into.

shark tits

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Rusty and Shark Tits, I talked to the owner and a few pieces that I was originally told weren't available he said he'd sell me.  They are approx 12-14" wide and 8-9' long (he said 70-80 each but I'm gonna try to negotiate a bit).  Post up tonight if there is any interest and I'll pick up an extra piece or two.  No obligation to buy, I just want to be able to help someone else out if I can.  Ralph and I are gonna try to take the truck over tomorrow am to pick up the slabs if we can make it with all of this fucking snow!  Anyway, let me know if those sizes are something you'd be into.
that sounds amazing! yeah, see what you can do, if you can finagle a bagel for cheaper that'd be great but we might be able to score up under $100 for the dopest cinderblock cover. we'll call it the affluent ledge.

coneklr

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
Ok guys, this is what I picked up today.  The right two are spoken for, but if you don't mind 4-5' long, the left two are available and are the each same length.  In all honesty the second from the left was probably the best piece that I got today.  They do have more there but some were too big for the truck and I didn't want to risk them breaking if we hit a bump too hard.  If you have access to a bigger truck or cargo van and want to head to VT I guess the pieces will be there until they sell.  There are probably 4-5 really good ones.  Unfortunately I can't give you prices because he kinda seems like he makes them up.  If you do want these though ... say $75 for both?

If you're curious what's happening with the other two

I know this is huge but I thought you'd be able to see them better.

coneklr

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 05:41:07 PM »
Rusty and shark tits, if you guys have specifics of what you can work with let me know and I'll do my best to hit them up again and see if anything fits.  If you aren't down with those two pieces.  Also if you have something hat can haul like 9-10' the couple pieces that size were amazing!  Heavy as fuck, but amazing.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 07:21:36 PM »
Ok guys, this is what I picked up today.  The right two are spoken for, but if you don't mind 4-5' long, the left two are available and are the each same length.  In all honesty the second from the left was probably the best piece that I got today.  They do have more there but some were too big for the truck and I didn't want to risk them breaking if we hit a bump too hard.  If you have access to a bigger truck or cargo van and want to head to VT I guess the pieces will be there until they sell.  There are probably 4-5 really good ones.  Unfortunately I can't give you prices because he kinda seems like he makes them up.  If you do want these though ... say $75 for both?

If you're curious what's happening with the other two

I know this is huge but I thought you'd be able to see them better.

u copped em just to resell on SLAP?i don't got no 75 dollars for a piece of rock, i do know the first 4'er would probably fit in my station wagon tho.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 07:26:56 PM »
also, the average block is 18" in length, so i'd have to figure out a way to cut it to be the size of the blocks if it's not already in some sort of multiple of 18. i don't want no 3' marble ledge so maybe it's a good 4.5' piece with some dangling off that i could cut off with a circ saw and a water drip?

coneklr

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
I grabbed them so that they could go to someone else's diy.  I can't afford to just give them away for free though unfortunately.  As for the fitting of them onto the cinderblocks, that would kinda be up to what you what to build.  For us we're building the base with cinderblocks and cement so the length wasn't a huge concern, just getting the best pieces I could find was.  But it looks like there are some options that would add up to different sizes though  http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Concrete-Cement-Masonry-Concrete-Blocks-Bricks/N-5yc1vZboge

If you wanted one piece I could do like $30.  I'd recommend the second from the left though as it's perfect and slightly wider so you could do manual tricks on it too if you really wanted.  And either of those should definitely fit in a wagon.

If you guys don't want them, like I said before it isn't a big deal I just wanted to get what I could with the money I had, I already have plans for them if I keep them

Something like this but with concrete banks and the top two stairs being the granite and the other couple conrete