Author Topic: jim gagne  (Read 26501 times)

Durndle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
Re: jim gagne
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »
strange appreciation thread, but i like it. I think I still have an old 411 black label japan trip where he nollie flipped into a gnarly quaterpipe. can't find it but this 411 industry section is sick
411vm - Best of 7 part 3

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:52:24 AM »
strange appreciation thread, but i like it. I think I still have an old 411 black label japan trip where he nollie flipped into a gnarly quaterpipe. can't find it but this 411 industry section is sick
411vm - Best of 7 part 3
sick, i remember him doing one into a swimming hole w/ questionable rollaway. he also had some great tricks at UMASS on an  old thrasher video. his style was unorthodox at times but he delivered the goods. gagne had the best interviews, a go for broke style then often ended up w/ him successfully getting broke and a surprisingly technical bag of tricks. jim to the gagne, v to the hizzy! i refer to nollie halfcab flips as 'gagne flips' and the 5 stair hubba at UMASS was known for a time as 'gagne ledge'.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 06:26:38 AM »
Disgusting style. Super misogynistic. Leather Southie hats. Yet I simply cannot hate on a ridiculous hesh dude who can also noseslide to nollieflip down hubbas!

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »
what happened to him and label?

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 01:37:16 PM »
Love this dude. He's a great guy but he might come off like a dick at first. Totally loyal friend although I haven't seen him in 5 years. If you ever saw him skate in person you know who much this guy rips and loves skateboarding. He's retired and runs his own flooring company now.

shark tits

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 03:07:51 PM »
i don't know if he came off like a dick so much as kind of clueless. his interviews were like a smarter 'doug' from 'ghost world'. dude w/ the mullet who was practiced w/ nunchucks. gagne knew what he looked like w/ his IROC Z or whatever but he did it anyways. he looked like he was struggling all the time which made me appreciate his tricks so much more than someone for whom it comes easy.

woodsman

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »
Jim grew up really poor. He worked at the Wok, making 5 bucks an hour. I worked at that place for about a month, he worked there for like 8 years. When he got a little money he bought a dumb car. At first he bought a 280Z with his Chinese food money. He still worked at the Wok after he first turned Pro for The Label.. Eventually he got a little money and he bought a van and a shitty leather hat. But Jim was the most dedicated skater I ever met. He had a black eye for a year from different slams and Upson punching him. Jim Gagne is my favorite skater and he is going bald.

shark tits

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
that's rad woodsman. i usedta go to springfield and hear about gnarly slams and lands by gagne. he totally went hard and i guess if ya didn't know anything he'd just be another daniel haney or something [i respect him too]. it's kind of a joke cause i always vouch for him via his hilarious interviews and my friends all can't stand him but i genuinely like him alot. western mass had a ton of underground rippers in the TRUE EAST days. you ain't named after the 'main south woodsman' are you? cause fuck that guy, killing all our local hookers.

woodsman

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:07 PM »
No, I have got to change this goddamn user name. I guess the woodsman is also a movie about a pedophile. I'm just from the woods, Guilford VT. Hicks from the sticks. I'm not trying to reference any pedos or hooker murderers.

shark tits

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
heh, that's good. law and order did a vaguely inspired episode about main south woodsman so i didn't know if it were bigtime news. he'd steal hookers from worcester and dump their corpses in maine, rural mass, all over. sick you knew the guy [gagne], i know through the grapevine he bought someone's [salman agah?] old house and does floors, shreds bowls still. for like a decade i've referred to nollie fs flips as 'gagne flips' and anything he's done at UMASS or springfield downtown is so gnarly in person. i liked his interview where he talked about getting a shirt w/ a cig in the pocket from lucero w/ some taco bell trash and 'due to my small town upbringing i smoked the cigarette'. dude is a classic. maybe that shitty leather hat was him trying to have an image and it backfired, i don't know. i really wanted him and upson to get more coverage, they seemed a lot more interesting than whoever's gotten famous for the most part.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 10:30:55 AM »
Tim Upson was rad (judging by the tiny amount of footage he had over the years). I looked for a part or something on YT and found this old First Look and in a great example of synchronicity, there's Tom Penny and his jacket at 1:36...

First Look: Tim Upson
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 08:06:58 AM »
I back Gagne, always had a special affinity for the guy; felt he never got his proper kumuppins.

I remember rewinding parts in his Label Kills part, especially when he did a crooked to fakie over the door at Skaters Island (which at the time seemed literally impossible).

I always felt he could get away with the shit-foot 360 flips, added nothing but character to his skating.

Nollie flips into pools? How can you not back that??? But then again I back a lot of "questionable" things...
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

shark tits

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »
yeah, his skating speaks for itself but it sounds better when someone else speaks about his skating. at least for most people. i agree sketchiness is character. one of my favorite gagne stories from his interviews was he used Gonz's paint pens sans permission in NY to write on griptape or something. so in the dead of night Gonz [supposedly according to Jim] tightens Gagne's trucks in revenge and Gagne's skating suffers. so he's like 'fuck this guy, i know pro skater whatever, i'm a pro skater. who cares. so what he invented everything. the guy's an asshole.'
i don't have the interview so that's from memory not verbatim but i really dug his smalltown observations. fuck hero worship and that's why gagne is my hero.

shark tits

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 06:59:49 AM »
28:19 for jim gagne's profile. the gnarly boardslide he does at the end is at UCSF. i usedta sleep on a roof there and looked at that ledge like what the fuck? [cheazy-e voice]
411 #29 (1998)

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 01:44:59 AM »
Secondhand Gagne quote: 'one time I got drunk for like ten years'.

woodsman

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 04:28:11 AM »
Gagne quote "girls like that are scared guys like me are gonna throw them down and sodomize their assholes".

Loose Trucks Saved My Life

• Rep: -1
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
He had the first NSS ad I remember seeing.

shark tits

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 07:21:52 PM »
whoa oh jim gagne, bam a lam a lam, whoa oh jim gagne, bam a lam a lam!!!!!!!
i would love to find the thrasher videos where he had UCSF and UMASS footage. some day.......
Jim Gagne - Progression Issue 06

stiflersmom

• Rep: -14
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 12:40:20 AM »
he a real one thats fo sho

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 04:27:39 PM »
The hubba ledge at UMass where he does a 180 nose grind (Thesis vid) was dubbed the Gagne ledge when my friends and I were still skate rats. We were told that ledge was impossible to skate and only Gagne could skate it hahaha

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »
My Gagne board.
This is the only red one I've ever seen.  I saw a couple of stacks of purple ones, 50 plus I'd say. 

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

shark tits

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 04:50:07 PM »
The hubba ledge at UMass where he does a 180 nose grind (Thesis vid) was dubbed the Gagne ledge when my friends and I were still skate rats. We were told that ledge was impossible to skate and only Gagne could skate it hahaha
ha, i remember that. we were skating around UMASS talkin about 'where's the 8 stair ledge?' [off by 3] and kids are like 'the gagne ledge?' shit was too perfect. he over noseblunted it too. gagne is lord!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 07:14:34 AM »
I just learned recently that I have been pronouncing his name wrong for years.

I guess it sounds more like gone-yay.  I was saying gag-knee.
https://www.howtopronounce.com/gagne/

shark tits

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 10:18:40 PM »
nah, in wrestling there's a jim gagne [gonyay] but in skating it's like gag me.
just found this old love letter to jim gagne from jeff grosso. how the former is repairing floors and the latter still has a pro board is beyond me. he mentions sobriety and quitting cigs, always ahead of the curve.
http://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/20-questions-jim-gagne/#JE6OgCeGCXBdiaz0.97

shark tits

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 08:12:12 PM »
merry christmas pals! as you all know, i'm goofy for gagne! someone uploaded this thrasher classic just tonight and of course i skipped right to circa 26:50 or so and his dark majesty jim gagne lays down the law at spots like UMASS and heaven in connecticut. those stairs are diesel!
Thrasher-Hitting the Streets (1996)

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2016, 10:40:41 PM »
undeniable newsie righteousness
Jim Gagne - Black Out

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
Oh THAT'S the shitty hat
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 09:37:30 AM »
merry christmas pals! as you all know, i'm goofy for gagne! someone uploaded this thrasher classic just tonight and of course i skipped right to circa 26:50 or so and his dark majesty jim gagne lays down the law at spots like UMASS and heaven in connecticut. those stairs are diesel!
Thrasher-Hitting the Streets (1996)

Not long after, followed with an ultra-rare STREET GLIFBERG clip!  :o

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 04:12:41 AM »
I was skatin San Pedro park under the bridge some years ago in the mid 2000s when this huge van pulled up. Out popped Al Partenen (this was right after when Born Dead came out) and Gagne n they proceeded to tear up that whole park.

I remember Gagne pulled a 360 over the spine second try as well as crooked and back smiths through that corner pocket in that one bowl that was there.

That Progression part I dig because he skates some cutty OC spots that are still around. He nollie flipped out of a nose slide on the Cardiel ledge??? rad.

In a late 90's transworld he gets asked what he doesn't like, "White guys that dress black, they can take a hike" which I always though was funny.

In this one Skateboard Mag there's a Svitak interview where he said he was bummed that Lucero kicked off Gagne for goin to school behind the Labels back. Sayin something like Lucero wanted them to be like 100 percent skate rats or something like that???

I'll try n look for it to make sure, the memory's a bit foggy.