Author Topic: Skateboard Mag montage with some FA kids  (Read 17861 times)

doomstation55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
Re: Skateboard Mag montage with some FA kids
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
Why does shit like this always get brought up.

no, none of these kids are "good" enough to be on any big companies....BUT this is where the divide begins.  You have the alpha jock bros pushing skateboarding's technical progression, (PROD, NINEJA) and then you have guys who are pushing the style game.  

Fine, you want someone who is pushing the style game? Brad fucking Cromer kills it and has a great style and unique trick/line selection. These kids just kind of suck. You can't legitimize them by saying "alpha jock bro" about skaters who are talented.

A.J.K.

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »
Why does shit like this always get brought up.

Expand Quote
no, none of these kids are "good" enough to be on any big companies....BUT this is where the divide begins.  You have the alpha jock bros pushing skateboarding's technical progression, (PROD, NINEJA) and then you have guys who are pushing the style game.  

[close]

Fine, you want someone who is pushing the style game? Brad fucking Cromer kills it and has a great style and unique trick/line selection. These kids just kind of suck. You can't legitimize them by saying "alpha jock bro" about skaters who are talented.

I love how people who try and defend these try hards equate not liking them with being some dude who wears flex fit hats and has monster tats.  

And there's nothing wrong with people pushing the technical side of skateboarding.  Do I love watching someone go ham on a ledge or a huge rail...not really.  But what these "jocks" are doing is more original and true to skateboardings supposed cardinal characteristic, creativity.  And as doom said there are so many people killing it on all fronts, so having to decide between style (or in this case fancy arm movements) and technical ability is a complete fallacy.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:27:08 AM by A.J.K. »

my pregnant head

• Rep: 13
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »
Love me some Militano footage. I always think It'd be rad if he was the first Am on 3D.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
First dude tries too hard to look "good".

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »
Just came in here specifically to post that when I see "FA kids" I instantly think of obnoxious and entitled NYC hipster teenagers, and I want to vomit. I don't have any desire to actually watch these spoiled kids skate. They skate at a mediocre level, but are all about showing how cool they are. Who the fuck would want to relate to douchebags like that? Good job Dill, you picked a team as unlikeable and pretentious as yourself. I can't wait until you find out how few people actually think that is cool.

I'm sure from the "brink perspective" I don't know the inside story about these kids and who they really are- but I don't give a fuck. They advertise themselves as a brand of fashion forward kids who were raised in the city going to private schools and pretending to be raw, while not doing any tricks that are interesting at all.
FA is Fucking Awful. I can't wait until their main offices are Fucking Abandoned. Dill and AVE are Fucking Assholes for Fucking Abandoning Fuckin Alien workshop.

And no, I didn't watch it. That's my point. The team has already left such a bad taste in my mouth, that when I see an opportunity to watch their footage, I'd rather talk about how shitty I find them than waste my time falling asleep watching these arrogant little fucks. Good job Dill. You're company is repellant.

Dyrdek bastardized the thing. I don't see how people could hate on them for leaving a company that is essentially Element now to do their own shit. In Kalis' interview he says how Dyrdek envisions a future of skating where there are only ten pros and everyone else does it for fun. There was no room for Dill and AVE, and definitely not these kids in Dyrdek's vision of pro skating.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:18:55 PM by ChronicBluntSlider »

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »
Wearing your pants like that should be a crime. Also id take the way Pudwill flails his arms about over that Sean Pablo turds arm movement any day.

y blasco

• Rep: -10
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »
very sick, thanks.

love how the hype machine works. these kids are basically skating everyday and posting some instagram photos of their friends. people look at what they wear and their trick selection and get sooo mad! you are basically hating on kids who enjoy dressing cool and love skating; what strange behavior for teenagers! hhaha you are the true kooks.

they aren't talking mad shit or hating on everyone. their ego seems to be quite normal for their age.

love that these kids are getting hooked up. it's all subjective anyhow.

Durndle

• Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »
if Macys launched a skate line this would be it. I want to kick these kids in the ghoulies but I don't think it would do much

Laban Fetus

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
juss gonna drop this in here for the h a t e r s

GeorgeHanson

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
Just came in here specifically to post that when I see "FA kids" I instantly think of obnoxious and entitled NYC hipster teenagers, and I want to vomit. I don't have any desire to actually watch these spoiled kids skate. They skate at a mediocre level, but are all about showing how cool they are. Who the fuck would want to relate to douchebags like that? Good job Dill, you picked a team as unlikeable and pretentious as yourself. I can't wait until you find out how few people actually think that is cool.

I'm sure from the "brink perspective" I don't know the inside story about these kids and who they really are- but I don't give a fuck. They advertise themselves as a brand of fashion forward kids who were raised in the city going to private schools and pretending to be raw, while not doing any tricks that are interesting at all.
FA is Fucking Awful. I can't wait until their main offices are Fucking Abandoned. Dill and AVE are Fucking Assholes for Fucking Abandoning Fuckin Alien workshop.

And no, I didn't watch it. That's my point. The team has already left such a bad taste in my mouth, that when I see an opportunity to watch their footage, I'd rather talk about how shitty I find them than waste my time falling asleep watching these arrogant little fucks. Good job Dill. You're company is repellant.

You are the equivalent of some old bastard yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

Remember being young? No? It is pretty fun to be young.

new_york_shitty

• Rep: -18
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 04:16:36 PM »
no, none of these kids are "good" enough to be on any big companies....BUT this is where the divide begins. You have the alpha jock bros pushing skateboarding's technical progression, (PROD, NINEJA) and then you have guys who are pushing the style game. It's like abstract painting basically. Yeah there are amazing photo realistic paintings of people and places but it gets boring because its such a good painting how can I ever relate to that sort of talent and process, where as jackson pollock throws paint on a canvas and it seems slightly more relatable despite the fact that he just threw shit on there. Its painting any way you slice it but the processes and intent behind it is completely different. It's been said countless times but I think that's truly the only way you can look at these kids and understand what they're doing. Yeah, the outfits and tricks themselves are alittle try-hard, but shit they're like 17 years old and having a blast so why bother to bitch about it?

One thing I do like about these kids is that alot of the lines they do remind me of late 80s/early 90s videos where they are actually STREET skating and not spot hopping.

Well said.

Further, I don't get the argument that these are 'basic tricks' done by 'mediocre talents'. these kids are skating effortlessly, in a fun, relatable way; I can't stand Dill but I certainly am interested in anything he does on a skateboard- I love skateboarding too much to boycott companies or riders because of my own Ego or limited, inflated perspective.

If you guys try to let go of your hate, you'd probably start enjoying skateboarding again.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:20:48 PM by new_york_shitty »

DARIA

• Rep: -60
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
that wallride in the first line was so anticlimactic.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 04:23:43 PM »
grown ass men on the internet furiously hating on a bunch of young teenagers having fun skating and wearing short pants is quite possibly the funniest thing ever.

nowell

• Rep: -153
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

COMMUNITYPACK

• Rep: 51
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

No joke, I think this is actually the best, and most honest thing that's ever been written on the Slap Forum.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
i've always been envious of people who dress in whatever way they want, despite how trendy/outrageous they might appear. i can hardly wear a hat without feeling like the fashion gestapo are keeping a profile on me.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 05:39:14 PM »
i've always been envious of people who dress in whatever way they want, despite how trendy/outrageous they might appear. i can hardly wear a hat without feeling like the fashion gestapo are keeping a profile on me.
THANK YOU.

Can we install a Slap filter that every time someone talks shit about clothes, Team Handsome, FA, etc... the post quoted above pops up instead??  Because it's crystal clear to any sensible adult, this is what they really mean.

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
To me, it's more of the mentality of it all rather than the actual outfits that I find annoying. I just think it's so weird that skating is something that at one point in time was raw and street skating was the embodiment of the "don't give a fuck what people think" attitude. But, when you so deliberately spend time rolling up your pant cuffs just the perfect length so people can see just the perfect amount of sock, or follow and recreate what exactly is going on in men's fashion at the time, you're not doing these things for yourself. These are things you do in order for other people to see and create their opinions of you off that image thus negating any 'don't give a fuck what people think" aspect left in the skating . Not to mention that it seems like most people who go for this look might be trying to make up for something they are lacking in their skating (exceptions to this rule include but are not limited to: Dylan, Austyn and AO who all clearly rip). I'm just saying, let your skating do the talking, not your outfit. Westgate, GT, PJ and Leo are some of the most prolific skaters of this time and you won't catch them rockin' any urban outfitters hipster shit, because they let their skating make an impact in the skate world instead of their image. To me these outfits are nothing but what make up is to a girl, something to add flash and distract you.

But this is all just my opinion and I could be taking all of this shit way too seriously which I probably am for no apparent reason. Who knows. Just throwin in my 2 cents.
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 06:32:08 PM »
grown ass men on the internet furiously hating on a bunch of young teenagers having fun skating and wearing short pants is quite possibly the funniest thing ever.
no different than you not liking shawn powers..hating is hating.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 06:36:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nah, I just think the dude is fakin the funk, trying to act "real" by skating in front of taxi's and shit, it's just corny to me. I'm not mad at it.
but the Gipper's old man, get off my lawn, clint eastwood gran torino type rant about a bunch of 15 year olds is downright hilarious. nigga's mad as SHIT for no reason.

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 06:45:04 PM »

They're rich, privileged kids with liberal parents who buy their love.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

nah, I just think the dude is fakin the funk, trying to act "real" by skating in front of taxi's and shit, it's just corny to me. I'm not mad at it.
but the Gipper's old man, get off my lawn, clint eastwood gran torino type rant about a bunch of 15 year olds is downright hilarious. nigga's mad as SHIT for no reason.

sean pablo fakes the phonk too. i didnt like shawn when he 1st came out either,but he does keep it "real' in a sense. i agreed with what gipper said until he stated he didnt even watch the footage.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
sean pablo fakes the phonk too. i didnt like shawn when he 1st came out either,but he does keep it "real' in a sense. i agreed with what gipper said until he stated he didnt even watch the footage.

yeah they're all a bunch of wannabe dills, I agree.
but what I don't get is how you can actually get mad at children, specifically the clothing they wear and how they ride a piece of wood, for no reason, especially after not even watching the shit! just the thought is enough. like, that's some serious mental shit. most people don't get that rattled about actual newsworthy events. just call it wack and move on.
 this shit ain't that serious

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »
hahaha

Gips is goin' off and didn't even bother to watch the clip. that's taking slap-hate to the next-level.

i wouldn't expect anything less from tha Gipper.

wisdom teeth

• Rep: 10
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
Aren't some of these kids hooked up by supreme?  If so I would assume that dressing "fashionably" comes with the territory.

Anyway I agree with whoever was pissed at the editing specifically during adrien adrid's part, but on the whole I found this to be an enjoyable clip of skateboarding.

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
the only way you can tell if their footy is in slow motion or not is when they fall

Laban Fetus

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »
I knew putting "FA" in the title would spark a round table discussion about fits. It was meant to provoke. Some of you guys are mixing up the past fad (Team Handsome shit) with the new 90's/Welcome/Dickies and thrift store thing though. KNOW your avenue because it's a fit-frenzy world out there.

PumpkinEsc0bar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -127
  • cleaner than a broke dick dog
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
I'm not sold on Sean Pablo yet and his arm/wrist style is pretty hard to watch. Looks like he's afraid

Alexander Schmidt should have more footage.

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

yeah they're all a bunch of wannabe dills, I agree.
but what I don't get is how you can actually get mad at children, specifically the clothing they wear and how they ride a piece of wood, for no reason, especially after not even watching the shit! just the thought is enough. like, that's some serious mental shit. most people don't get that rattled about actual newsworthy events. just call it wack and move on.
 this shit ain't that serious
Yeah FA kids but..  Espy does not "fake the funk" or whatever you're saying "Nigga".    That dude is really a nut.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2014, 07:53:21 PM »
Dill needed to fill the team with mediocracy if he's going to have the opener/ended.

I'd say he's succeeded.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'