Author Topic: Arto's questionable upbringing? (trigger: swastika content)  (Read 16143 times)

Tufty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
Re: Arto's questionable upbringing? (trigger: swastika content)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 01:08:19 AM »
 We have that little person kid here that draws a moustache on him with black marker and posts selfies on facebook with the heil hitler gesture. Kid is not a nazi but for sure is mentally challenged and probably Nazis would have exterminated him.

On the other hand there is a very thin line between mental disability and Nazism.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:12:25 AM by Tufty »

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Long before Nazi Germany swastikas symbolized auspiciousness and good fortune. �Hitler stole it, dude.
[close]
Expand Quote
Get a fucking grip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
[close]
ha, i love when people try to defend the "posi swazi". �So you think a bunch of 14 year old Finnish kids were into ancient Eastern thought? �Do you think there was a yoga studio and vegan buffet back there too? �That definitely seems much more likely than some young twats trying to be provocative.

I get what you're saying, but I also don't buy the whole Swastika = instant nazi with all that entails. I mean, seriously, questioning Arto's existence because of a fucking shabby piece of graffiti in the background of an old photo?

Gotta give it to old Adolf, he ruined a name, a moustache and a symbol for everyone. He also wasn't great at honeymoons either.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 01:25:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Long before Nazi Germany swastikas symbolized auspiciousness and good fortune. �Hitler stole it, dude.
[close]
Expand Quote
Get a fucking grip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
[close]
ha, i love when people try to defend the "posi swazi". �So you think a bunch of 14 year old Finnish kids were into ancient Eastern thought? �Do you think there was a yoga studio and vegan buffet back there too? �That definitely seems much more likely than some young twats trying to be provocative.
[close]

I get what you're saying, but I also don't buy the whole Swastika = instant nazi with all that entails. I mean, seriously, questioning Arto's existence because of a fucking shabby piece of graffiti in the background of an old photo?

Gotta give it to old Adolf, he ruined a name, a moustache and a symbol for everyone. He also wasn't great at honeymoons either.

The book of the man of my Avatar argues that the whole success of Nazism was that spoke directly to the primitive insticts of reproduction and survival(non intentionally most of the times) blocking reason from the people. Swastika was an ancient symbol of fertility and reproduction and was part of the whole instict arousal. Some historians say that it depicts  people being hugged while lying and having sex, thats why it makes an impression on people aside from nazism.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm not going to go as far as to accuse Arto of repping that bullshit, but I don't think "lol kids are retards" works in Europe when it comes to swastikas and shit.
[close]

Granted I'm from Ireland as opposed to mainland Europe but I'd be inclined to disagree.

well I don't know about Ireland but here in continental europe, swastikas and stuff like that ARE NOT taken lightly. Even my 12year old stupid self wouldn't have been happy about having shit like that in my local park. No fucking way would I have taken a picture with that in the background. I'm not judging Arto either, I just know for me and my mates that didn't fly. at all.

zuma

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Fuck, Arto has been one of my favorite skateboarders ever.  Infallable, even.  But then I watched this interview on hellaclips, which was otherwise pretty awesome, but it showed him skating some park as a kid with a swazi in the background.  Hoping this is just some random incident in the background and not a statement by the videographer of his upbringing?.

[close]
the symbol has to be at a diagonal angle to be considered a NAZI swastika. since it is NOT, it is the hindu swastika which literally means it is good. IT IS GOOD :-*

it says peace on the right hand side of that picture if i m not mistaken- peace and nazis don t mix as far as i know

Johnny Rocketflips

• Rep: -33
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 02:05:29 AM »
WTF at this thread! goddamn this place can be regular.

sebastian

• Rep: -16
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 02:08:24 AM »
I think Soy sums it up right here:

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 03:17:19 AM »
WTF at this thread! goddamn this place can be regular.

Well we did establish it's a feeble not a smith.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:25 AM »
LOL this is a thread :D

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

tom

• Rep: -10
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 03:30:21 AM »
could this thread be any more presumptuous? that doesn't necessarily even look like it was intentionally meant to be a swazi and even if it was, what could that possibly imply about arto simply for skating near it? at some point he was in the same place as a racist? alert the media!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 03:42:53 AM »
some of you need to learn how to read. Carayol explained it.

Transcript:
"That was another indoor park we had for one winter -the svastika on the obstacle was my buddy's decoration, he was super into svastikas and pentagrams. This one was a two-lane semi truck garage, where they pull up 18-wheelers and fix them up, and the other one had the oil changing station. It was one of my buddy's dad who owned a trucking company, he was super into skating so he'd let us have it for one winter for like maybe he charged us $100 for the whole winter -nothing." Etc

so you guys would be ok with your buddy "decorating" your local spot with swastikas ??
again I'm not judging Arto, but to me that's a big no-no.

my pregnant head

• Rep: 13
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 04:01:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm not going to go as far as to accuse Arto of repping that bullshit, but I don't think "lol kids are retards" works in Europe when it comes to swastikas and shit.
[close]

Granted I'm from Ireland as opposed to mainland Europe but I'd be inclined to disagree.
[close]

well I don't know about Ireland but here in continental europe, swastikas and stuff like that ARE NOT taken lightly. Even my 12year old stupid self wouldn't have been happy about having shit like that in my local park. No fucking way would I have taken a picture with that in the background. I'm not judging Arto either, I just know for me and my mates that didn't fly. at all.

I'm not saying they should be taken lightly at all. But in my experience dumb kids' two go to "shocking" or "edgy" symbols are the classic schoolboy penis (optional dotted line emanating from the head) or swastikas. Kids are jerks and just lack the life experience to understand the hateful significance of the symbol. And for the record, it's ridiculous this conversation is happening at all...

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 04:51:30 AM »
"upbringing" though...  :-\

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 05:01:11 AM »
Lol this is the dumbest thread in a while. Drawing a nazi sign somewhere is pretty much the same as drawing a 666 or some pentagram thing. Nobody gives a fuck. The chances that the person who drew that shit somewhere actually believes in some nazi ideas is very small.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 05:21:37 AM »
I was more taken aback at the revelation people in Finland apparently play baseball.

This isn't really true, though. The finns play their own version of baseball (pes?pallo), where the pitcher stands next to the batter and the ball is pitched straight up.  Check 3:35, if you actually care..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BFJMZnEmxrk#t=216
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:25:35 AM by L.S »
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:50 AM »
Could of course be the old Finnish airforce swastika which was adopted as their emblem in 1918, many years before Hitler introduced it to the nazi scene. The footage is filmed somewhere in Ostrobothnia Finland though, so most probably a good old racist swastika.  To let everyone know they want to fight Swedes and Russkies.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 05:43:29 AM »
Expand Quote
I was more taken aback at the revelation people in Finland apparently play baseball.
[close]

This isn't really true, though. The finns play their own version of baseball (pes?pallo), where the pitcher stands next to the batter and the ball is pitched straight up.  Check 3:35, if you actually care..
Woah neat, who would have thought this thread would have had something cool in it, nice

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 05:43:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This isn't really true, though. The finns play their own version of baseball (pes?pallo), where the pitcher stands next to the batter and the ball is pitched straight up. �Check 3:35, if you actually care..

What the fuck is this!!! I'm deeply offended the Finns would take OUR national past-time and bastardize it this way.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 05:53:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This isn't really true, though. The finns play their own version of baseball (pes?pallo), where the pitcher stands next to the batter and the ball is pitched straight up. �Check 3:35, if you actually care..
[close]

What the fuck is this!!! I'm deeply offended the Finns would take OUR national past-time and bastardize it this way.
baseball is a shit rip off of cricket, not to mention "American Football"which is basic lazy and overprotected and sexually repressed rugby/Aussie rules/that weird shit they play in Ireland with like two scores for each team and soccer nets with extended posts 

SK8houses

• Rep: -2
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 06:57:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck, Arto has been one of my favorite skateboarders ever.  Infallable, even.  But then I watched this interview on hellaclips, which was otherwise pretty awesome, but it showed him skating some park as a kid with a swazi in the background.  Hoping this is just some random incident in the background and not a statement by the videographer of his upbringing?.

[close]
the symbol has to be at a diagonal angle to be considered a NAZI swastika. since it is NOT, it is the hindu swastika which literally means it is good. IT IS GOOD :-*

[close]

it says peace on the right hand side of that picture if i m not mistaken- peace and nazis don t mix as far as i know
it is not a nazi swastika, thanks for letting me know again though. your extra knowledge has given me the power to go outside in the daylight today. thank you very much ;D

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 07:05:44 AM »
I think Soy sums it up right here:

Sums what up? That even though everyone perceives it to be anti-semitic and associates it with the genocide of 6 million Jews that it's ok because it meant something else like hundreds of years ago? If the word nigger at one point meant "a frolicking happy child" it would still be racist as fuck to use in everyday conversation.

busted-knee

• Rep: -12
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 08:20:17 AM »
Arto is from Sein?joki. It's a small town in the middle of fucking nowhere. There's some fucking racist hicks outside of the bigger cities here (in Finland). If you travel just 1 hour out of Helsinki (to Kerava for example), there's shit like this sprayed on walls. Unfortunately there's some real idiots here, thankfully they're a minority though. Look at the kooks you got in the US - doesn't mean that all Americans are like them!

Just because somebody drew this on a ramp doesn't mean that Arto shares these views. Give the guy a break! What's next, claiming he's homophobic because he rode for Platinum?!?  ;D

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
There should be a thread about the dumbest threads on slap

busted-knee

• Rep: -12
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »
Could of course be the old Finnish airforce swastika which was adopted as their emblem in 1918, many years before Hitler introduced it to the nazi scene. The footage is filmed somewhere in Ostrobothnia Finland though, so most probably a good old racist swastika.  To let everyone know they want to fight Swedes and Russkies.

I guess that you mean the Lotta Sv?rd symbol. This was a women's auxiliary movement in Finland started in 1918, shortly after Finnish independence. Not too sure about the air force symbol. The Soviet Union claimed that the Lottas had links to fascism and the organization scrapped after WW2. There's still Lotta organizations in Sweden, Norway and I think Denmark too.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 09:33:26 AM »
There should be a thread about the dumbest threads on slap

would it function as a directory for the whole forum?

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2014, 09:44:51 AM »
I skated a pool that had "Pizza Rules" spray painted under the coping
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

carayol

• Rep: 29
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 09:47:05 AM »
I'll add on a serious note, in hopes to close the topic but I do have my doubts: if the "documentarian" as you call him used these photos in particular, has it occured to whoever opened that thread that it was BECAUSE IT WAS THE TWO ONLY PHOTOS THAT ARTO HAD FROM THAT WAREHOUSE? Simple as that, sometimes.
Not sure why I bother, though.
I/The "documentarian" and I have enjoyed some of the clever answers, I have to say.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3316
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »
There are a ton of dicks spray painted at our local skatepark wondering if this is what happened to GAY!

Speaking of triggers! Your question posed as a statement took me back.....back.........back...............back

I was a little straight boy in Albuquerque, New Mexico, wheeling around on my Variflex "Twisted". That board was my first big board...something that wasn't just a little strip of yellow plastic and some shitty wheels on tiny trucks. I was so proud of it but when I would push it, it would circle hard to the right because the trucks were so screwed up. Since I was new to skateboarding I didn't know if that was some kind of "feature"...like, since it was called the "Twisted" model it curved hard to the right. I was ignorant and scared of other skaters because everything was so new and skateboarders seemed so rough and mean, so I never asked anyone. I just rode around in circles and tried to look cool. #embarrassing

Me and some neighborhood kids went to skate the ditch nearby. Ditch skating is everything in Albuquerque and everyone lives near one. Some are more ridable than others due to their steepness and having some kind of a transition at the bottom rather than just a hard angle. I lived near one that was particularly popular with the big kids who could do bonelesses and such, and as such the ditch was covered with graffiti and all sorts  of gnarly stuff that bigger kids did when they were smoking cigarettes and ditching class.

On this particular day it was just me and li'l Ricky from up the street. We were both horrible at skating...we'd try to skate the ditch standing up but it was really scary, so often we'd sit on our boards and ride down the ditch and then kind of fall off on the other side. This day was different though...there was some new graffiti...images I'd never seen before. Some were really cool, like the Rat Bones logo and an anarchy symbol, images I'd draw on jean jackets and notebook covers over and over from that day forward. But there was another image there at the ditch...one that burned into my retinas, that hooked itself into my subconscious, that took over my psyche like no other idea that had occurred to me before. It was similar to this:

For the record, that's just a facsimile of the image I happened across that day, but the effect is the same. From that day forward I wanted to know more about this deity that had been scribed upon the side of the ditch there off Comanche in my home town. I needed to know. I craved this thing...I didn't know what I could do with it, but something inside me said that I wanted to eat it or sit on it, although I didn't understand what that meant at that early age. I loved this thing.

I've always thought that if I hadn't stumbled upon this image in the ditch I might be a Youth Minister of a Baptist Church today with 2 kids and a wife who obeyed my every whim.

Damn that image in the ditch. Damn it to hell, which is where I'll be going since it ruined my life.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2014, 09:52:08 AM »

unrelated but related, Nazi on Buddhism. Confirmed.

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »
("documentarian"):"Mwahhahahaha, I shall include nazi symbolism in my obscure (hellaclips) skateboard documentary to further my aryan agenda and convert the youth!  It will all fall into place soon.  It shall be seen by dozens, perhaps hundreds of people!  Mwhahahaha...Damn it...I am out of ram's blood already!  Mom, we need to go back to the butcher.  I know, I know, I told you already, it is for an arts and crafts project for Mrs. Pease. "