Author Topic: New 149 Thunders about to hit?  (Read 21118 times)

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: New 149 Thunders about to hit?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 06:11:28 PM »
Those look awesome, I already thought 149ers were perfect.. Def buying these if they're available at similar prices

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »
Everyone should feel free to ask me specific questions about them if you have any.

Release date, please?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've just accepted I get wheel bite no matter what.
[close]
[close]
When you have had enough, try some Theeves

Theeves are 55mm tall, most people riding tight and with small wheels won't get wheelbite with them ;) I'm riding a set of the V3s with 52mm wheels and I get wheelbite with'em.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 06:21:39 AM »
shredded a set yesterday for a couple hours indoors...broke in quickly.  not enough time to really give an opinion, but felt good so far.

hardly art, hardly starving

b.v.

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:38 AM »
Set mine up with bones hards, which I normally skate in indy stage 11s and they almost felt a little too stiff for me.
They are stable as hell, I haven't skated thunders in a while so hard to compare to a standard one, but I am already used to them.
Grind really well, minimal kingpin hangups.
I might be converted from indys.

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 09:44:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Everyone should feel free to ask me specific questions about them if you have any.
[close]

Release date, please?

Soon.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
We've all been testing them for about a month now, I ride very loose trucks on an 8.38 and sometimes would get wheel bite riding old 149's.
The new ones are considerably higher than the older ones, Indys are 55mm high at the axle, the new 149's are 52.3mm at the axle. So that makes a big difference. Also, as a big fan of smith grinds, the lower set kingpin makes quite a difference as well. We also just wanted to clean up the look of the truck in general, the older 149 hangers were pretty meaty, almost as thick as a venture hanger. The new ones better match the lines of the 147, and the 151.
Are the new 149s gonna have the white bushings or something else. Personally im a fan of the white ones since they are softer than other ones.

b.v.

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
Expand Quote
We've all been testing them for about a month now, I ride very loose trucks on an 8.38 and sometimes would get wheel bite riding old 149's.
The new ones are considerably higher than the older ones, Indys are 55mm high at the axle, the new 149's are 52.3mm at the axle. So that makes a big difference. Also, as a big fan of smith grinds, the lower set kingpin makes quite a difference as well. We also just wanted to clean up the look of the truck in general, the older 149 hangers were pretty meaty, almost as thick as a venture hanger. The new ones better match the lines of the 147, and the 151.
[close]
Are the new 149s gonna have the white bushings or something else. Personally im a fan of the white ones since they are softer than other ones.
Guessing different colorways of trucks have different bushings.
Polished always have the clear yellow.
Other colorways vary.

LennyDLXSF

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 10:40:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Guessing different colorways of trucks have different bushings.
Polished always have the clear yellow.
Other colorways vary.

This.

Also all the stock Thunder bushings that come in the trucks are 90 Duro, regardless of color.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
Any word on release date yet? I've heard good things about these.

LennyDLXSF

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2014, 08:21:24 AM »

They are out! We have a couple models in stock that are shipping to shops as we speak.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are out! We have a couple models in stock that are shipping to shops as we speak.

Awesome I'll try to snatch a pair!

dillanharp

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »
I've never ridden Thunders because the stigma of how shitty they were in the 90s, but I'm interested. I don't need 149s because I don't ride boards that big, so my question is do the 147s come in the new height/lower kingpin blah blah?

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »
but when's meta gettin' them bro?
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »
I don't need 149s because I don't ride boards that big, so my question is do the 147s come in the new height/lower kingpin blah blah?

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

LennyDLXSF

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't need 149s because I don't ride boards that big, so my question is do the 147s come in the new height/lower kingpin blah blah?
[close]

We are constantly looking for ways to improve all of our products, but we overhauled the 147 a couple years ago. So it will be a while before any changes are made to the 147.

Conan

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 10:46:53 AM »
When are these going to hit the UK? Shiner haven't haven't responded to my emails

aaronagis

• Rep: -3
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 11:28:05 AM »
I want to pick up a new set for summer. How will we be able to identify these new 149's from the old ones? are they going to have any identifiable markings/ a sticker,  or anything on them? 

LennyDLXSF

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
I want to pick up a new set for summer. How will we be able to identify these new 149's from the old ones? are they going to have any identifiable markings/ a sticker,  or anything on them?  

They should all have a new sticker on the hanger, and also they have an embossed 149 on the inside/bottom of the hanger.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:57:09 AM by LennyDLXSF »

Tay

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 07:34:22 AM »
They're mediocre. A couple MM lower than independents, so I've been having lots of wheel bite. The kingpin also sits higher, so high the nut scrapes ledges with 50-50s. They also turn like Aces (fast). I miss riding my Indys though... if only they made 8.25 trucks.

N.L.

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:47 AM »
They're mediocre. A couple MM lower than independents, so I've been having lots of wheel bite. The kingpin also sits higher, so high the nut scrapes ledges with 50-50s. They also turn like Aces (fast). I miss riding my Indys though... if only they made 8.25 trucks.

You must have the older version. With the new ones the kingpin sits below the entire axle (more KP clearance than Indy Stage 11). They seem about as high as Indy Stage 10 (maybe a fraction lower).

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »
@LennyDLX - question regarding the first run of 149s. Is the geometry the same on the forged baseplate Team Series trucks (The Blue/Yellow 'Draft' for example) and the aluminum baseplate Hollow Lights ('Space Dust' for example).

The reason I ask is because my bushings seem to fit differently in team series 149s vs Lights and Hollow Lights. (using the same bushings in each) The holes are also punched a little differently. I currently have 5 pair of 149s I am rotating, so I notice little differences. Could also just be manufacturing tolerances.

And for the record, always been a huge fan of Thunder as I've skated them exclusively since the early 90s. Back in the days of Skull/Crossbones, Salamanders, and Daggers on the baseplates!

Tay

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You must have the older version. With the new ones the kingpin sits below the entire axle (more KP clearance than Indy Stage 11). They seem about as high as Indy Stage 10 (maybe a fraction lower).

Shoot, I bought them from an eBay seller claiming they're II's. Guess I got stuck with the originals. :(

N.L.

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Shoot, I bought them from an eBay seller claiming they're II's. Guess I got stuck with the originals. :(

Could be. Do yours say '149' on the underside of the hangar? They should if they are the new ones. I've been using the ones with the regular (not forged) baseplates which are a bit higher, a small riser and 55mm wheels. No wheelbite whatsoever and really nice smooth in and out of smiths. Just got to break in the bushings...

LennyDLXSF

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »
@LennyDLX - question regarding the first run of 149s. Is the geometry the same on the forged baseplate Team Series trucks (The Blue/Yellow 'Draft' for example) and the aluminum baseplate Hollow Lights ('Space Dust' for example).

The reason I ask is because my bushings seem to fit differently in team series 149s vs Lights and Hollow Lights. (using the same bushings in each) The holes are also punched a little differently. I currently have 5 pair of 149s I am rotating, so I notice little differences. Could also just be manufacturing tolerances.

And for the record, always been a huge fan of Thunder as I've skated them exclusively since the early 90s. Back in the days of Skull/Crossbones, Salamanders, and Daggers on the baseplates!

There is a difference in the fact that the 149 light baseplates are about a millameter shorter but I don't think that this is causeing the difference that he's seeing. The difference is probably from the fact that the bushings that come stock in the team truck have a difference duro than the bushings that come stock in the light and hollow trucks. Which means they will respond differently when skated.
-From one of the production designers.

- sometimes we make mistakes- Sorry. 

To clarify, All the bushings that come stock in Thunders are 90 Duro. That being said, urethane cures as it ages, so that could be affecting board feel. Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:39:20 PM by LennyDLXSF »

N.L.

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »
So which ones are softer?

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »
Expand Quote
There is a difference in the fact that the 149 light baseplates are about a millameter shorter but I don't think that this is causeing the difference that he's seeing. The difference is probably from the fact that the bushings that come stock in the team truck have a difference duro than the bushings that come stock in the light and hollow trucks. Which means they will respond differently when skated.
[close]
-From one of the production designers.

- sometimes we make mistakes- Sorry.  

To clarify, All the bushings that come stock in Thunders are 90 Duro. That being said, urethane cures as it ages, so that could be affecting board feel. Sorry for the confusion.

That wasn't really my question. Of course I know how different duro bushings respond. I've been skating for over 20 years. And for the record, I don't use Thunder stock bushings anyway, because they are pretty bad...in any durometer. I generally use Bones or Khiro. Maybe it's also the thicker coating on the painted hangers making the bushings fit differently.... but either way it's not that big of a deal I was just asking because of being a gear geek. It has absolutely no effect on my skating. Thanks anyway Lenny.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:46:55 PM by heritage »

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »
Where the hell can I get a set of these?

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
Where the hell can I get a set of these?
I saw them at Cowtown (my local core shop), so  I'd just say go to the biggest core shop in your area.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

tanginacat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2014, 12:46:42 AM »
is there a difference in baseplates of the lights and team ed in terms of feel and turn? planning to get new149's not sure to get the forged or normal baseplate.