Author Topic: Bianca Chandon  (Read 115913 times)

datsnare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Bianca Chandon
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2014, 07:53:02 AM »
bloodymatt - why would you attribute the skull to a peter sutherland blanket and not the grateful dead?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2014, 09:21:45 AM »
Expand Quote
I like that he's doing his own thing but there is no way this company is going to last.
[close]

You say that, but every item that has gone up on his store has sold out pretty quickly. He must be doing something right.

Yeah, right now it's selling out because it's new and vague and "what even is it?" but you're nuts if you think that's going to last and that his small runs are going to make enough money to keep this thing alive.

kools

• Rep: -45
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like that he's doing his own thing but there is no way this company is going to last.
[close]

You say that, but every item that has gone up on his store has sold out pretty quickly. He must be doing something right.
[close]

Yeah, right now it's selling out because it's new and vague and "what even is it?" but you're nuts if you think that's going to last and that his small runs are going to make enough money to keep this thing alive.

clutching at straws much?
ofcourse he's going to start out small, and as demand increases change the scale.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
i like these words:

"When I watch skate videos now it?s just so draining just how good the kids are. I?m sure you feel the same way. At the end you?re just like, ?Oh man.? I think I watched one recently and I felt like I couldn?t even comprehend what had just happened."

"But now, you have these videos and it?s just so much B-roll footage too. Like a guy tying his shoe, guy not making up his mind, guy waxing."

MisterX

• Rep: 50
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was glad to see he kind of got a wakeup call on how apparel production works.  Minimums, etc. are no joke when you are trying to do full cut and sew lines.   The fact that he revealed he is using all pre-made garments doesn't really help me justify the high price point.  I am backing the company and idea, I just wish it wasn't some off the shelf tee shirt with a one color screen print for an inflated price because it's a "fashion" line.

I would like to try one of the boards next time they are available.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 10:05:10 AM »
bloodymatt - why would you attribute the skull to a peter sutherland blanket and not the grateful dead?

Because I assumed that Sutherland's piece was what influenced the use of the Dead skull. It might be a couple years old at this point but is still pretty hip with the kids.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 11:17:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

ofcourse he's going to start out small, and as demand increases change the scale.

How long do you think demand is going to stay high enough for him to keep this going? This is skateboarding, dingus, it changes every few months. It's all highwaters, no complies, pigtails and exploring your sexuality right now, but what do you think it'll be in a few months? If he's not advertising, doesn't have a team, and isn't making a video, he will be forgotten about. He won't sell enough boards or keep enough of a profile for his other sponsors, particularly Nike, to give a shit about him and keep paying him. This is a dude having boards and shirts printed, not a fully functioning company.

It's cool and all, but it's not going to last.

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2014, 11:48:04 AM »
super into it. for the record, the disco most cats identify with is like diet pop disco. the real shit (especially in the 80's when synths hit) was way more aligned with what people nowadays call funk. was more sleazy and aggressive.

i used to have a shirt that said lover on the back that i made with felt letters almost in the same font as the BC one. this song made me want to wear it.

if you were listening to this and Larry Levan walked up to you and asked if you'd like to let him and Grace Jones eat shrimp off your penis,........

*eatdatskrimp*

I will not buy alex's version, though i fully back this entire endeavor if this is indeed his inspiration.

edit: speaking of Levan, check this shit. it's about as far from the white bread Bee Gees style of pop-disco as you can get. this is what I know disco as. as a black man who's uncle played music with Brick (google disco jazz by brick).

K
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:53:17 AM by kamltoe »

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

kools

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How long do you think demand is going to stay high enough for him to keep this going? This is skateboarding, dingus, it changes every few months. It's all highwaters, no complies, pigtails and exploring your sexuality right now, but what do you think it'll be in a few months? If he's not advertising, doesn't have a team, and isn't making a video, he will be forgotten about. He won't sell enough boards or keep enough of a profile for his other sponsors, particularly Nike, to give a shit about him and keep paying him. This is a dude having boards and shirts printed, not a fully functioning company.

changes every 2 months? are you kidding?
he's just about to have a part in the supreme video and someone like Olson makes trends and kids like you follow them.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

he's just about to have a part in the supreme video and someone like Olson makes trends and kids like you follow them.

I'm a grown man. I've been skating since you were just a twinkle in that long-haul trucker your mom can only guess is the one who knocked her up (there were a lot of guys in that bathroom that night)'s eye.

I like this "movement", for lack of a better term, but you're exactly as dumb as you come across if you think this company is going to last.

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »
looking forward to see what stuff is gonna come out.

kools

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm a grown man. I've been skating since you were just a twinkle in that long-haul trucker your mom can only guess is the one who knocked her up (there were a lot of guys in that bathroom that night)'s eye.

I like this "movement", for lack of a better term, but you're exactly as dumb as you come across if you think this company is going to last.

what a pathetically cliched comeback.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

what a pathetically cliched comeback.

Which part is cliched? The "your mom is a whore" part?

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
Good interview. Succeeded in getting me mildly interested in the company which is an achievement given how little I like most of the first product run.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Because I assumed that Sutherland's piece was what influenced the use of the Dead skull. It might be a couple years old at this point but is still pretty hip with the kids.

No the classic "steal your face" Grateful Dead logo was drawn by Owsley Stanley, who was kind of the leader of teh early 60's acid movement in SF.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3325
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2014, 03:50:30 PM »

Stoked on this post. Thanks carbonite.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2014, 04:03:47 PM »
Between the Trax records and Paradise Garage stuff being posted I'd say slap has a better idea of the idea behind BC, than Alex does lol might as well throw some Hot mix 5 and some Ron Hardy at the Muzic Box into pot, fuck yeah SLAP!

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2014, 04:32:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No the classic "steal your face" Grateful Dead logo was drawn by Owsley Stanley, who was kind of the leader of teh early 60's acid movement in SF.

Thanks for schooling me on the Dead, pal!! Thought my sentence was clear but I guess it wasn't. What I tried to state was that I don't think Alex Olson would have used that image if Peter Sutherland's use of it hadn't have been all over Tumblr.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2014, 04:51:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In this case I think bloody Matt nailed the reference. I had the same thought when I saw his use of it.

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I got to "Disco Stereo" and decided I am never buying this fuckery. Disco is fucking terrible right? and Dance Clubs? Fuck. Am I wrong?
[close]

Disco is best survived as some of the best sampling material in music. The history of disco is even more interesting, like how it was heavily influenced by gay and black cultures. Or how middle america's growing backlash towards the genre was basically some weird masked latent bigotry. �I think its a clever choice for inspiration of a brand.
[close]
"It was more about blowin up all this nigger music... to me it felt very racial" Vince Lawrence speaking about the "disco sucks" rally at Comisky Park

edit: just gonna throw in some more context: A radio dj in Chicago, had a bunch of disco records blown up during/after a Whitesox game, and Vince Lawrence who was an usher at the park went on to become one of the originators of house music, the quoute is from this at 9:00  

Thanks for posting the vid, I guess that kind of stuff is harder to believe coming from a post than someone who was there actually talking about it.

Anyways, for as much conceptual potential BC has it doesn't have a team so its all kind of a waste.

Gaius Julius NZA

• Rep: 0
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2014, 06:54:56 PM »
small, contrarian companies of the 2 thousand teens = goofy boy pants of the nineties

but I dig it. some.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »
Afraid of da homies thinking less of me if I'm seen wearing Bianca Chandon

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »
you can attract a whole new class of homie in your new #biancaseanjohn

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2014, 08:23:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm a grown man. I've been skating since you were just a....

dude...

Twin Perks

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

All of this is so right on the money that you're probably right. I hope not because I like his skating and he's gotten so much more coverage lately. I really hope he doesn't just have a half dozen tricks in Cherry.

Randozzi

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2014, 12:02:43 AM »
B.C. + 70s inspiration could equal some interesting pagan disco graphics.

GeorgeHanson

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2014, 01:19:24 AM »
If Alex Olson doesn't tap that roller-disco fabulousness from the 70s he is missing out.

I hope this company influences these kids to do bumps of k and experiment with their sexuality and rave illegally down at the skatepark.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2014, 05:06:02 AM »
That would actually be super dope!

EDM is some kook shit, calling any music EDM is like calling skateboarding "action sports" and if you call your music EDM you are most likely a Belgian/Dutch cokehead who got "jaded" by the Gabba/Gabber/Jump/Hardstyle scene and decided your new motivation in music is sleeping with underage girls, cunts.  The only acceptable _DM is IDM, Autechre and Squarepusher and shit, anyone remember "Intelligent Drum n Bass"?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That would actually be super dope!

EDM is some kook shit, calling any music EDM is like calling skateboarding "action sports" and if you call your music EDM you are most likely a Belgian/Dutch cokehead who got "jaded" by the Gabba/Gabber/Jump/Hardstyle scene and decided your new motivation in music is sleeping with underage girls, cunts.  The only acceptable _DM is IDM, Autechre and Squarepusher and shit, anyone remember "Intelligent Drum n Bass"?
I think the hilarious thing about EDM is that while Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream paved the path for electronic dance music it was Detroit that really created the template for its future but it wasn't until the UK and Europe took it onboard, pushed the sub genres and rinsed it for all it was worth before selling it back to the US labeled as EDM that could be packaged as "new" and not associated with Detroit that a lot of Americans could accept it. It's an American craft that America let go and now has to buy back.