Author Topic: Anyone else taught English abroad?  (Read 9777 times)

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Anyone else taught English abroad?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »
Your best bet for the most part is going through job boards like eslcafe.com. Decide on a region and cruise through esl job boards looking for opportunities there. You can also post your resume on those sites but you might get contacted by some seedy recruiters. There's not really huge worldwide contractors but someone might be able to tell you their recruiter through, say, South Korea.

Good looks on the eslcafe tip, thanks mate!
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 08:33:58 PM »
Taught in Japan for 12 plus years. You will need a degree to get a Junior / Senior High school position (which should include many paid holidays). There is also the JET scheme, which pays well but you don't have much control over where they put you.

Currently teaching as a NET in Hong Kong, great conditions. You will need a degree and teaching qualification from your own country though.

It would be good to take a CELTA or TESOL certificate. Although it only takes 6 weeks it will help separate you from others and lead to better jobs. Although the course is pretty tough...

The British Council always seemed to have decent looking positions, never worked for them though.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »
Ay fulfill the dream, or anyone else who's been to China, how's Guangzhou in comparison to Beijing? I've narrowed it down to one of these two cities. Guangzhou seems cool in terms of better weather, proximity to HK/SE Asia, and cost of living but I'm curious how it is in terms of culture, things to do, and the expat community compared to Beijing?�

i havent had a chance to check out Beijing yet but I know Guangzhou is a newer city so Beijing would have more expats. THe rent in GZ is pretty decent.  There alot of various foreigners here as well as a lot of people from all over China.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 06:59:36 AM »
Ay fulfill the dream, or anyone else who's been to China, how's Guangzhou in comparison to Beijing? I've narrowed it down to one of these two cities. Guangzhou seems cool in terms of better weather, proximity to HK/SE Asia, and cost of living but I'm curious how it is in terms of culture, things to do, and the expat community compared to Beijing? 

Speaking as someone who hasn't been yet, but knows a decent amount about China...Beijing is much more cosmopolitan with more live bands and westernish culture especially around universities, but the pollution is not to be taken lightly.  Guangzhou I don't know a whole lot about but has a reputation in China for being a bit more dangerous, which probably won't concern you compared to other cities you lived in, and of course that better weather comes with humidity too.  More Florida than California.  Have you considered Chengdu?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 10:10:39 AM »
I've definitely looked into the pollution factor - looks like no other. I had this really good offer from a school in Shanxi then watched the vice episodes on mining there - no bueno. Although that could provide the opportunity for a good photography project I imagine I'd feel quite isolated.

Is it normal for these schools in China to not actually video Skype interview you? I've had a couple ask me to be online at a certain time then we just IM. Chengdu seems like it could be cool - seems to be a lot of demand for English teachers there at the moment. Guangzhou seems to potentially be the happy medium between Beijing and Shanghai along with having the pro of being closer to Southeast Asia + Hong Kong. When Chinese people freak out about the dangers of Guangzhou I find it kind of amusing because I've definitely been to extremely fucking sketchy places - A la actually kidnapped in Mexico once.

This one school offered 12,000 CHY for 35 hours a week, apartment paid for but with 1 flatmate, in the ChangYang District of Beijing. That seems sort of far out though. Another school offered me 6000 CHY in Beijing, city center apartment, and only working 25 hours a week. Both of these offers seem a bit subpar though, however, I don't have a degree and only TEFOL with prior teaching experience. This is actually why I'm looking between China and Russia because they seem to pay the best without having the visa restriction of a degree.

Oh and I'm originally from Mississippi along with having spent plenty of time in Southeast Asia so I definitely know about the harshness of humidity.

Students age : 3-12 years old
classes sides: 1 on 1 tutoring and small group (5-8 students in one class)
Schedule : Mon. Tue. off
Wed. to Fri. 2:30-7:30pm
Weekends : 8:30am to 6:30pm
Salary : 13000---17000 monthly
House allowance or Free apartment
Medical insurance
Year end bonus
Performance bonus
Provide working visa
Paid holiday
Travel in China

GadNZ

• Rep: 0
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 07:02:41 AM »
To the Pals who are currently teaching in China or have done so in the past, I have some questions.

Is it normal to work weekends over there?
For someone with 2+ years ESL experience and with good references how much should they expect to get paid?
How much do ya`ll save a month after expenses and entertainment ?

thanks in advance .

Currently in my last week of teaching in Korea after 2 years. The thought of going back home isnt really settling well so highly considering this China thing.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 01:11:47 PM »
China's definitely an odd one when it comes to teaching English. Some schools will try and hardball you with deals through Skype IM'ing because they don't speak English well enough to video chat. It's pretty obvious they're using google translate which can be pretty funny sometimes.

The lowest offer I've seen is 6000 CHY which seems quite low compared to the other offers out there. With your qualifications I'd say you should be making at least 10,000 CHY if not a bit more. They're probably going to judge you more based on your certificates/degree over references though. As to saving while living there, someone else will have to answer that question for you. I think the basic answer is that if you're living like the locals live, shopping like the locals shop, then you can save most of your salary. As you know, they usually pay for your accommodation.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
I've definitely looked into the pollution factor - looks like no other. I had this really good offer from a school in Shanxi then watched the vice episodes on mining there - no bueno. Although that could provide the opportunity for a good photography project I imagine I'd feel quite isolated.

Is it normal for these schools in China to not actually video Skype interview you? I've had a couple ask me to be online at a certain time then we just IM. Chengdu seems like it could be cool - seems to be a lot of demand for English teachers there at the moment. Guangzhou seems to potentially be the happy medium between Beijing and Shanghai along with having the pro of being closer to Southeast Asia + Hong Kong. When Chinese people freak out about the dangers of Guangzhou I find it kind of amusing because I've definitely been to extremely fucking sketchy places - A la actually kidnapped in Mexico once.

This one school offered 12,000 CHY for 35 hours a week, apartment paid for but with 1 flatmate, in the ChangYang District of Beijing. That seems sort of far out though. Another school offered me 6000 CHY in Beijing, city center apartment, and only working 25 hours a week. Both of these offers seem a bit subpar though, however, I don't have a degree and only TEFOL with prior teaching experience. This is actually why I'm looking between China and Russia because they seem to pay the best without having the visa restriction of a degree.

Oh and I'm originally from Mississippi along with having spent plenty of time in Southeast Asia so I definitely know about the harshness of humidity.

Medical insurance
Year end bonus
Performance bonus
Provide working visa
Paid holiday
Travel in China
Guy I know people clearing 60k a year in Uruguay and Argentina. SA pays for people with experience. The benefits you mention sound great but that's nothing on stone cold cash. SOUTH AMERICA is the place to teach stop chinking around in Asia

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »
Yeah, Tracer? Definitely not true. Care to cite your sources?

http://www.gooverseas.com/blog/esl-teacher-salaries-9-countries-where-youll-make-bank

Don't see any country in South America on there at all....

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 10:14:54 PM »
Yeah, Tracer? Definitely not true. Care to cite your sources?

http://www.gooverseas.com/blog/esl-teacher-salaries-9-countries-where-youll-make-bank

Don't see any country in South America on there at all....
Don't even pull this shit on me, both are upstart countries demanding English. You can get a second job you know instead of working 25 hours a week

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 08:03:59 AM »
Expand Quote

Medical insurance
Year end bonus
Performance bonus
Provide working visa
Paid holiday
Travel in China
[close]
Guy I know people clearing 60k a year in Uruguay and Argentina. SA pays for people with experience. The benefits you mention sound great but that's nothing on stone cold cash. SOUTH AMERICA is the place to teach stop chinking around in Asia

I highly doubt South America is matching Asia at the present. Either way, teachers will clear that in Asia too. Really, thinking about money too much is stupid because the experience is way more important. Go where you feel will be good for you.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

himlor

• Rep: 18
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »
i don't think it's possible to make 60K/year us$ solely from english teaching..

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2014, 06:36:53 AM »
Not in an English conversation school, but private schools and universities, I'd think it is.

nocomplydownsouth

• Rep: 0
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
sorry for the stupid question but how or where do you go to do this? I'm tired of working shitty jobs and this sounds something that i would like to try. I've tried looking online but most of the websites seem shady.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:47 PM »
I mentioned one of the more popular, better one's in an earlier post. If you're thinking China then I could recommend schools/programs.

Out of curiosity, what's the working situation here that you're trying to get out of?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 01:08:25 AM »
sorry for the stupid question but how or where do you go to do this? I'm tired of working shitty jobs and this sounds something that i would like to try. I've tried looking online but most of the websites seem shady.

you sound like the prefect candidate for the job ::)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2014, 08:38:52 PM »

eslcafe.com .. theres a few threads with all the info about this already..
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »
I'm 39, thinking about moving to Hanoi this fall for a simpler life and cheaper living. I'll probably try to get a part time esl job when I get there, although being Asian American is a disadvantage I hear. I only have an Associates, but I'm pretty sure I could still get something, even if it's on the lower paying ($12 hour) end.