Author Topic: Moving to New York  (Read 15998 times)

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Moving to New York
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:51:27 AM »

I'm graduating from college in May and I somehow got a job in New York. I The pay is pretty good and I have started looking at some apartments . Anyone that currently lives there know of any good/cheap places to live, keep in mind that I'll be working 60-70 hour work weeks in the financial district so ease of commute is important! Also, any tips for someone moving from Texas to New York for the first time? I lived in Chicago last summer for an internship so I'm mildly accustomed to the lifestyle.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Re: Moving to New York
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:58:24 AM »
Also, if anyone has any rooms for rent, that would be great.

littlefuckboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -39
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »
astoria, Brooklyn, Hoboken.

shark tits

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »

I'm graduating from college in May and I somehow got a job in New York. I The pay is pretty good and I have started looking at some apartments . Anyone that currently lives there know of any good/cheap places to live, keep in mind that I'll be working 60-70 hour work weeks in the financial district so ease of commute is important! Also, any tips for someone moving from Texas to New York for the first time? I lived in Chicago last summer for an internship so I'm mildly accustomed to the lifestyle.
my tip would be to walk loudly and carry that 2x4. be as patriotic as possible and under no circumstances do you get into a car and do drugs w/ the iron sheik.

SkateViolence

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

Where exactly in the financial district will you be working? Also, how much will you be looking to pay in rent?

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »
Get a spot in Chinatown/lower-LES and walk to work. Otherwise boerum hill/south slope in BK offer quickest Wall Street commute that's affordable. And I use the word "affordable" pretty liberally.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »
Damn, those sound like crazy hours. What are you going to be doing?

I can't offer any advice cus I'm still in college living with my parents but good luck dude!

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
I'm looking at around $1500, I could go higher but I'm wanting to be on the safe side. I'll be working on the west end of the financial district. I've been looking into Jersey City. Does anyone know much about New Jersey? I heard I could avoid the NYC tax if I live there.

shark tits

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
I'm looking at around $1500, I could go higher but I'm wanting to be on the safe side. I'll be working on the west end of the financial district. I've been looking into Jersey City. Does anyone know much about New Jersey? I heard I could avoid the NYC tax if I live there.
i stayed there a few months back for a kid's beauty pageant or cheerleading contest. something random and awful and the parking was terrible. we did however stumble onto all sorts of neighborhoods, some 3 deckers like Mass, some projects, some nicer one family homes and it is right there to NYC. you'd prolly save a grip like leaving SF for Oakland but it costs a bunch to take that tunnel every day. downtown jersey city looked kind of low to the ground and lacking, spotwise. all the skyscrapers seemed to lack stairs. if you take the train ya prolly don't hafta live right at the job site.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 05:06:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i stayed there a few months back for a kid's beauty pageant or cheerleading contest. something random and awful and the parking was terrible. we did however stumble onto all sorts of neighborhoods, some 3 deckers like Mass, some projects, some nicer one family homes and it is right there to NYC. you'd prolly save a grip like leaving SF for Oakland but it costs a bunch to take that tunnel every day. downtown jersey city looked kind of low to the ground and lacking, spotwise. all the skyscrapers seemed to lack stairs. if you take the train ya prolly don't hafta live right at the job site.

Any idea of how bad of a commute it is to LES park or the Tribeca skatepark? I understand there's a shitty little skatepark in Hoboken, but I want a pretty cool way to spend my weekends. I'm the guy who pretty much only skates ledges, what's the best skatepark for that? To put it into perspective, I love skateparks with that perfect sized ledge you can spend hours on.

As for the train, the PATH will take me an extra $100 per month which is hopefully more than what I'll save in rent.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 06:27:18 AM »
worked same hours, same location, lived in Hamilton Heights ... and loved it.  was more affordable and more space than Jersey City/Hoboken.  A train is the best, plus you have the option of 1/2/3.  For those nights working past 7:30pm, cabs can haul up the FDR or West Side Highway.   On weekend mornings it took 15 min to get to Astoria park (train&bus combo), 20 min to get to Chelsea park, 25 to tribeca park, and 30 to LES (although  I left just before they re-did)...and now there's the new 181 park.  the only thing is that if you're going to go out with friends in brooklyn, you may as well just plan on crashing somewhere because getting home without an express option is the worst
hardly art, hardly starving

littlefuckboy

• Rep: -39
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
You can take PATH to world trade center and that's near the financial district and les isn't too far either.  as for Tribeca, you can take path to Christopher street its about 10 minutes away.

Any idea of how bad of a commute it is to LES park or the Tribeca skatepark? I understand there's a shitty little skatepark in Hoboken, but I want a pretty cool way to spend my weekends. I'm the guy who pretty much only skates ledges, what's the best skatepark for that? To put it into perspective, I love skateparks with that perfect sized ledge you can spend hours on.

As for the train, the PATH will take me an extra $100 per month which is hopefully more than what I'll save in rent.

Young Satchel

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 03:48:21 PM »
Don't live in that part of jersey. Lame as fuck. With few exceptions.

Tony

• Rep: 7
    • Sleep Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
Jersey City is nice, and not too expensive. Some cool restaurants and bars that are not filled with Douchebags.
The drawbacks is you have to rely on the path train which runs like shit at nights/weekends.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »
Also, how is The Bridge skatepark? It looks like a great winter getaway, is it a pain in the ass to get to on the PATH?

Tony

• Rep: 7
    • Sleep Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »
the Bridge skatepark is in Bayonne which is not far from Jersey City, but the path goes nowhere near there.
You would need to take the Light Rail train line.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
If I were you I would Air B&B/sublet a place in Dominican South Williamsburg for two weeks to set up camp. Then you can use that time to find a longer sublet or a lease if you're feeling strong. Making a commitment long range is literally regular in a city this competitive. A few blocks can honestly change everything and you will get hustled almost as a rights of passage.

You can take the J train straight to Fulton Street 4-5 stops in 15 to financial district. That will buy you time to scoop out the scene and determine if you want to live in town, or in the burg/greenpoint/bushwick/bedstuy. That's where you need to be if you're a skater and you're young and hopefully single (if you aren't it won't last). You won't have anything to compare it to but the appeal of living in manhattan has diminished severely over the past couple years, beyond the cost of living.

PM me if you have any questions, I'm into helping people avoid the mistakes I've made over the past decade.

BARACKOBAMA

• Rep: 6
  • yeah niah
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 11:58:15 AM »
gonna fuck around in this thread because im in the same boat, graduating in May with a writing job in NY (so the pay is much...much less) is it even possible to pay ~1000 for rent? I'm moving from Pittsburgh where I'm paying 350 :/

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 12:29:29 PM »
If I were you I would Air B&B/sublet a place in Dominican South Williamsburg for two weeks to set up camp. Then you can use that time to find a longer sublet or a lease if you're feeling strong. Making a commitment long range is literally regular in a city this competitive. A few blocks can honestly change everything and you will get hustled almost as a rights of passage.

You can take the J train straight to Fulton Street 4-5 stops in 15 to financial district. That will buy you time to scoop out the scene and determine if you want to live in town, or in the burg/greenpoint/bushwick/bedstuy. That's where you need to be if you're a skater and you're young and hopefully single (if you aren't it won't last). You won't have anything to compare it to but the appeal of living in manhattan has diminished severely over the past couple years, beyond the cost of living.

PM me if you have any questions, I'm into helping people avoid the mistakes I've made over the past decade.
listen to this man. the J train is perfect from commuting to the financial district from brooklyn. and coming from someone who's lived both in manhattan and brooklyn, bk is definitely a more attractive place to live for skaters, assuming you don't mostly go to parks, in which case manhattan might be your cup of tea. hard to compete with chelsea piers, LES, tribeca, and the new hamilton bridge park far uptown. 

if you REALLY wanna pay a cheap rent, look as deep in as bed stuy, near the myrtle or kosciuszko J stations. i'm in that area and pay <900, although i do live with three other guys in a 3br. anywhere closer than that you might get hustled by a realtor trying to flip bushwick/south williamsburg as an "emerging neighborhood" as a justification for a higher rent.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
the Tribeca park is tiny but they've got some fun ledges. went there in fall 2012 and the place was practically still mint
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »
gonna fuck around in this thread because im in the same boat, graduating in May with a writing job in NY (so the pay is much...much less) is it even possible to pay ~1000 for rent? I'm moving from Pittsburgh where I'm paying 350 :/

Your best bet is to try and find a little loft/studio/dorm thing as a short-term lease. I'm looking into that and the rent is pretty cheap. Manhattan is the place with the most places of this type.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 08:53:14 PM »
I'm in Bedstuy and pretty keen on it but if you need to commute into the financial district you may want to live off the J train instead of the G. Bedstuy is predominantly African American but I like how it still has it's nooks and crannies. I feel like this area is a bit cheaper than Bushwick depending on where you are but both have their deals - it's really just searching in the right place at the right time. I live between the Bedford/Nostrand and Myrtle Willoughby stops on the G train and found a sick 2 Bedroom for $650 each.

SkateViolence

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »

I live in Ridgewood, which is in Queens just outside of Bushwick, Brooklyn. If you're into getting a roommate, you could easily split a 2 bedroom in the area for $700 or less. I'm in a big junior 2 bedroom with my girlfriend and we both pay $625. The transportation situation is really convenient, too. I'm right off both the L and M. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to Williamsburg and 25 minutes to get to Union Square or the Lower East Side. It's also really nice and quiet. The Brooklyn side is mostly Spanish and the Queens side is mostly Italian/Polish/Romanian/Ukranian families. It's a great place to live if you're on a budget and not trying to live right in the thick of things.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
Damn never realized how many pals live in nyc or in bk ??? Clinton Hill Represent  ;D

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »
Well I got a short-term lease in Brooklyn Heights, so PM me if anyone wanna meet up @ LES or McCarren!

new_york_shitty

• Rep: -18
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »
Let's link up at McCarren or the blue zone on Manhattan and Scholes in BK.
I skate often, pm me

SkateViolence

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
I smell an NYC Slap Pal sesh.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
Quote from: new_york_shitty  link=topic=76886.msg2159539#msg2159539 date=1402357415
Let's link up at McCarren or the blue zone on Manhattan and Scholes in BK.
I skate often, pm me

I been skating there a shit ton lately, i love the relaxed non street league energy drink kid vibe you get there rather than at some of the other parks during the day.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:48:13 PM by Tarela »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 09:46:12 PM »
You guys down for a Manhattan and Scholes morning session? It's almost always pretty mellow there. Otherwise I normally go to Tribeca over LES - tends to be less of a shit show.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
You guys down for a Manhattan and Scholes morning session? It's almost always pretty mellow there. Otherwise I normally go to Tribeca over LES - tends to be less of a shit show.

Im down til i find a new job