Author Topic: Independent vs thunder  (Read 32629 times)

gripittoripit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Independent vs thunder
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
Been skating indy 139s forever, but switching to thunders have crossed my mind. 

which is actually made better???

weepee

Re: Independent vs thunder
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
i'd say stick with independent

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
I could be wrong but I think they are both made in the same foundry.  Either way I have never noticed a difference in quality between the two and really like them both.  It comes down more to feel and in my experience Thunders feel like they have a quicker response and turn and the Indy's feel a little more flowy.  Either way they are both really good.  If you like to swap out the factory bushings with Bones than the Indy geometry is a little better for the swap.

pantless

• Rep: 13
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:35:30 PM »
I could be wrong but I think they are both made in the same foundry.  Either way I have never noticed a difference in quality between the two and really like them both.  It comes down more to feel and in my experience Thunders feel like they have a quicker response and turn and the Indy's feel a little more flowy.  Either way they are both really good.  If you like to swap out the factory bushings with Bones than the Indy geometry is a little better for the swap.

Yep, they're both made at the same foundry. I've been skating Thunders pretty much the whole time I've been skating, and had my first "Thunder defect" last fall with a crappy replacement kingpin. I sent an email to customer service and aside from giving me a new pair of Thunders of my choice, the rep (Christian if I remember correctly) told me that Indy's and Thunders are made at the same foundry, with the same kingpins and hardware.
It's a matter of personal preference, but I'd say that either one of them would be a good choice. For some reason, Thunders are the only trucks I've owned where I didn't break the baseplate, though.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 05:04:54 PM »
what about bullet trucks yall

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »
Independent for sure. I fucking hate thunders, every set I've ever had, there was a problem with. Whether it be axle slip, broken kingpin, etc. For the longest time, I was a strictly Indy guy, but for the past year, I've been riding theeve v3's, the 5.5's. They are seriously some of the best trucks I've ever had. Aside from the fact that they are super light, they have superior turning. I've been meaning to pick up a pair of venture 5.25's though, they look like they would be good.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 05:41:57 PM by TFUCKINA »
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »
Both are good. I'd say give thunders a shot if you've been skating Indy for a long time and want to switch it up. It's fun to change it up once in a while.

If you ride looser trucks, you should check out ace. I got a pair not too long ago and I love them. The best turn out there.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »
Favorite thing about thunder are the bushings they come in, Worst thing about it once the bushing mush out the replacement bushings don't feel the same so i would end up buying a new set. Anyone else feel the difference?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

shark tits

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ehhh no.
ha, i went to EB on a fixed income and the only trucks i could get w/ my budget complete had clouds on them. i forget the name of them, royals maybe? yeah, like the band 'royal trux'. loosen em up and they're just like thunders or whatever i'd have bought if money were no object.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
Ill never understand why krux have that hole in the centre, too me it just feels like it'd weaken the trucks, anyone know if its just a design too stand out or does it actually do something?

dillanharp

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 09:31:59 PM »
Ill never understand why krux have that hole in the centre, too me it just feels like it'd weaken the trucks, anyone know if its just a design too stand out or does it actually do something?
I wish they'd add a little lip to it, bottle opener.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 09:38:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thats what i thought it might've been, that'd be awesome

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
I think I read that it makes the truck lighter but I'd guess it's just an identifying mark over everything else. At any rate, if Tommy Sandoval can frontside flip 20's on them I'd guess they're strong enough for the rest of us peons.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »
^ That was my logic in giving a pair a try.  They have been good so far. The amount of time it has taken to break them in has been significantly less than thunders... maybe just a bushing thing?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
I could be wrong but I think they are both made in the same foundry.  Either way I have never noticed a difference in quality between the two and really like them both.  It comes down more to feel and in my experience Thunders feel like they have a quicker response and turn and the Indy's feel a little more flowy.  Either way they are both really good.  If you like to swap out the factory bushings with Bones than the Indy geometry is a little better for the swap.
You are not authorized to provide serious comments on this netsite page.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thats what i thought it might've been, that'd be awesome

you can open a beer with just a deck - didn't you learn anything from Dollin's intro in Baker 3?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCTKqLkl_YM

Thanks Skateboarding

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »
I just bought my second pair of Thunders. My first pair I got and a week later my board was stolen so I never really got to skate them.  Hopefully they'll work out.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

nylin

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
I broke 4 thunder hangers in a month and a half and I dont jump down big shit or anything like that. Indy's are the way to go.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 09:13:35 PM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:09 PM »
Thunders don't turn as good...if you carve around a bowl you notice.....

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 11:02:11 PM »
after years of riding thunder/krux, im finally riding my first pair of indys now. 149 reynolds hollows. easily the best set of trucks ive skated. would like to try some aces next

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 11:52:46 PM »
after skating theeves for the last 2.5 years, i just bought a new set of indys cause the theeves i had only fit up to an 8.25.
switched out the bushings with bones, and i remember now why i loved independent. Finally my trucks fit my 8.5 boards.
i ALSO got ACE trucks on my cruiser board. those are the best if you put bones bushings in them.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »
If you go for lows indys are better. 4 Highs its close but i skate thunder because they look cooler, i have broken a few of the baseplates thoiugh

Spitfire4life

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »
Damn, just got some Indy 169's for my 8.5 board and I'm never looking back. I cruised around on my old setup (with Thunder 147's) and they felt absolutely awful. Never going back.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »
Been skating indy 139s forever, but switching to thunders have crossed my mind. 

which is actually made better???
Try them both, then make your decision. It's all personal preference.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

silkyjohnson

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 11:57:54 PM »
Damn, just got some Indy 169's for my 8.5 board and I'm never looking back. I cruised around on my old setup (with Thunder 147's) and they felt absolutely awful. Never going back.
Just curious, why 169s? Why not just go with 149s? Any advantages to skating trucks a tad bit wider than your deck?

Spitfire4life

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Just curious, why 169s? Why not just go with 149s? Any advantages to skating trucks a tad bit wider than your deck?
I'm a pretty big guy (5'11 and 205lb) so it's a lot more stable. Plus you get more grinding room. You can skate a square parking curb like a flat bar!

BRO

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 08:27:01 PM »
Independents turn the smoothest, ACE are the sharpest/squirreliest, and Thunder are kind of in the middle.  Had a pair of Thunder 151 and I thought they were really good.  Sold them off to someone that needed some trucks, and have been riding some 149s since.  Can't say I'm complaining.