Author Topic: Independent vs thunder  (Read 32565 times)

pandarelated

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
Re: Independent vs thunder
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 09:41:04 PM »
there isn't a better in this question. you can ask it. but its just not a thing.
both are good. both may be great. but they are different. there are many things i like (liked) about the 147 MkII (MkIIs so much better then um.. not mkIIs?) and with the improved 149.. (cause the 149 as is / was /// was sorta crap.. way way way to low for a 149)
thunders could be super good.
i like indy just a bit more.. a couple more pros.. then cons.. but thats all it is.. weight person pros and cons.

and yeah.. as stated.. they are both made at the same place.. the quality isn't.. shouldnt be an issue..
all personal taste..

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »
there isn't a better in this question. you can ask it. but its just not a thing. both are good. both may be great. but they are different. there are many things i like (liked) about the 147 MkII (MkIIs so much better then um.. not mkIIs?) and with the improved 149.. (cause the 149 as is / was /// was sorta crap.. way way way to low for a 149). thunders could be super good.  i like indy just a bit more.. a couple more pros.. then cons.. but thats all it is.. weight person pros and cons.and yeah.. as stated.. they are both made at the same place.. the quality isn't.. shouldnt be an issue..
all personal taste..

Pretty much it right here. It all comes down to personal preference. I've skated everything and I keep coming back to Thunder. From a support standpoint I'd love to ride nothing but ACE but they just don't work for me, and the quality has been a little touch and go.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »
Indys just carve smoother, I can ride my independents medium/loose but I can't ride my set of thunders any looser than medium because they respond to quickly, they're to agressive for my liking.

Aidan Clarke

• Rep: -122
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »
i used to ride thunder trucks, but i just cant get down with them anymore. like the dude above me said, you cant ride them as loose as you can ride your indies. on top of that they seem too low for me personally, and this is coming from someone that used to ride venture lows and thunder lows in the 90's. i also kind of feel that indys are more stable and stronger than how thunders were for me. indys have also been consistently reliable throughout the years and have always treated me well, some better than others, but well nonetheless.

your results may vary, but id lean towards independent better. idk what you personally look for in a truck, so like others suggested maybe you should try out thunders and see which one feels most comfortable to you. i still know skaters (average skaters to pros) that still ride venture lows and shit like that, so its all up to personal preference.
#crackkka

BBM: 79DEA941, fuck with me sheffledge

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »
i used to ride thunder trucks, but i just cant get down with them anymore. like the dude above me said, you cant ride them as loose as you can ride your indies. on top of that they seem too low for me personally, and this is coming from someone that used to ride venture lows and thunder lows in the 90's. i also kind of feel that indys are more stable and stronger than how thunders were for me. indys have also been consistently reliable throughout the years and have always treated me well, some better than others, but well nonetheless.

your results may vary, but id lean towards independent better. idk what you personally look for in a truck, so like others suggested maybe you should try out thunders and see which one feels most comfortable to you. i still know skaters (average skaters to pros) that still ride venture lows and shit like that, so its all up to personal preference.

Rode Thunders for the last 3 years.

I had some Ace's- good fucking truck. Got used to riding em super loose compared to the Thunders I had previously. Accel slipped and couldn't find Ace's here in China.. The local shop only has Thunders and Ventures.. I couldn't get down with Thunders cause there the lowest compared to other high trucks.. So I had to ride the venture hi's which are actually pretty good cause I can have em loose with out the kingpin nut sticking out..

DLX dudes on here- will they remake the rest of the line up with the new 149 height?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

eSHkidd

• Rep: -2
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had some Ace's- good fucking truck. Got used to riding em super loose compared to the Thunders I had previously. Accel slipped and couldn't find Ace's here in China.. The local shop only has Thunders and Ventures.. I couldn't get down with Thunders cause there the lowest compared to other high trucks.. So I had to ride the venture hi's which are actually pretty good cause I can have em loose with out the kingpin nut sticking out..

DLX dudes on here- will they remake the rest of the line up with the new 149 height?

No, LennyDLX mentioned in another thread since they revamped the 147's 2 years ago into the mkII's, the 147's will be the normal 50mm~ height for probably a couple years at least. The 149s and 151s however are both 52.3mm height now, the 151's always were. I ride an 8.25 with the new 149's and would definitely recommend them if you ride 8.25 or wider.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 12:32:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Youre in china....just go to the factory and get a set of aces.....

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
i've been riding thunders religiously for the past 8-9 years, with two sets of indys sprinkled in the last two years. i cracked a set of thunders that were ground to the axle and a friend gave me some indys. i skated them for a bit, but switched to thunders the first chance i got. the second set i had for maybe two-three weeks before i got hurt and my setup was given away. here's to another 8-9 years of thunders, and more years after that. i wish i had a memory of every set i've ever owned. it has to be up near the 75-100 pair range
fuck you bama

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »
Been skating indy 139s forever, but switching to thunders have crossed my mind. 

which is actually made better???

I made the switch to Thunders after probably 15 or so years on nothing but Indy. Right off the bat they felt different and with 149 hi's I got constant wheel bite until I put in harder bushings. They didn't feel really good until putting in Bones bushings. After about 6 months I wanted to ride Indy's again but stuck with my Thunders for about a year and a half to give them a fair chance. I have no real complaints about them but last week I finally bought a set of stage 11 149 standards and dropped in my medium Bones bushings. I'm happy to have Indy's on my set up again and can't wait to really skate them.

Thanks JimT for giving me the chance to skate Thunders for a bit, but I learned from it I prefer Indy's and will probably not ever change it up again.

Basically, they're both solid top of the line trucks that will work well for you. I see why some people swear by Thunder, they're very good. However, the Indy+Bones combo is pretty much unbeatable, especially for transition skating.

If you primarily skate street and want a slightly lower feeling ride, then Thunders might work better for you, just be prepared for an adjustment period. You'll never know unless you try for yourself.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I made the switch to Thunders after probably 15 or so years on nothing but Indy. Right off the bat they felt different and with 149 hi's I got constant wheel bite until I put in harder bushings. They didn't feel really good until putting in Bones bushings. After about 6 months I wanted to ride Indy's again but stuck with my Thunders for about a year and a half to give them a fair chance. I have no real complaints about them but last week I finally bought a set of stage 11 149 standards and dropped in my medium Bones bushings. I'm happy to have Indy's on my set up again and can't wait to really skate them.

Thanks JimT for giving me the chance to skate Thunders for a bit, but I learned from it I prefer Indy's and will probably not ever change it up again.

Basically, they're both solid top of the line trucks that will work well for you. I see why some people swear by Thunder, they're very good. However, the Indy+Bones combo is pretty much unbeatable, especially for transition skating.

If you primarily skate street and want a slightly lower feeling ride, then Thunders might work better for you, just be prepared for an adjustment period. You'll never know unless you try for yourself.

i tried to make that shit work for a while & it was nice while it lasted but short-lived because my bones bushings kept compressing down in the front like how the old theeves use to do after a while which makes them turn weird, and id tried that with 2 different sets of bones mediums with & without washers so i dunno what the issue was (granted i skate much more gaps that transition so that type of impact could be the reason)

It seems like ventures dont get nearly as much love as thunders/indy despite the fact that they're all made in the same factory & they're kinda like the middle ground between the two. The only real downside to ventures is the hanger geometry makes it a little harder to tighten those back bolts but that aint nothing a little extra muscle/allen wrench doesnt solve.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »
I'm riding Thunders right now and I like them, but I could honestly probably hop on some Indies and still feel totally fine. I guess I don't notice these minute details.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i tried to make that shit work for a while & it was nice while it lasted but short-lived because my bones bushings kept compressing down in the front like how the old theeves use to do after a while which makes them turn weird, and id tried that with 2 different sets of bones mediums with & without washers so i dunno what the issue was (granted i skate much more gaps that transition so that type of impact could be the reason)

It seems like ventures dont get nearly as much love as thunders/indy despite the fact that they're all made in the same factory & they're kinda like the middle ground between the two. The only real downside to ventures is the hanger geometry makes it a little harder to tighten those back bolts but that aint nothing a little extra muscle/allen wrench doesnt solve.

I never had a problem with the bushings compressing but to be fair I only rode Bones in Indy's for about a month before switching to Thunders, always ran the stock orange bushings before that.

The washers seem to become a necessity after a while, and I think they feel better that way. Of course, 2 top bushings on each truck so the bushing's built in washers seat well.

I agree about Ventures but haven't skated them since around 96-97 so don't really have any valid opinions about how they are now.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »
It's a matter of preference. I've always ridden indys and see no point in fixing something that isn't broken. I hear good things about Ace and Thunder. Folks I genuinely respect swear by them.

micky682

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
I ride my Thunders pretty loose but my kingpin nuts always come loose. Any way to ride trucks pretty loose w/o the nut coming off? Would super glue work a la Nestor Judkins.

CumOnYourFace

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »
^
Trim down your bushings. If you don't want to, get bushings for low trucks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »
It's a matter of preference. I've always ridden indys and see no point in fixing something that isn't broken. I hear good things about Ace and Thunder. Folks I genuinely respect swear by them.

Indy is right between the two.....

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
I ride my Thunders pretty loose but my kingpin nuts always come loose. Any way to ride trucks pretty loose w/o the nut coming off? Would super glue work a la Nestor Judkins.
Lock-tite.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lock-tite.

If you do loctite then do the 'blue' weaker strength one if possible. Whether you use blue or red do it sparingly. A tiny drop of super glue will work in a pinch, it's not much different.

An alternative to loctite is Teflon tape on the kingpin threads. This should help secure it but still allow for on the fly adjustment.

You can also go to a hardware store and look for thinner 9/16 locking nuts (or grind the bottom of the standard nuts enough to allow the kingpin bolt to reach the locking threads on the nut).

micky682

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
Got a pair of Indy Hollow, the Reynolds kind, after 2 years of skating Thunders. Took some time to adjust, but honestly they feel so good.

Cold Pizza

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »
wasn't there a dude on here who claimed mini-logo trucks were the best trucks he's skated in decades?  where he at?  i remember he had a pretty convincing argument before i remembered we were talking about mini-logo trucks.

ps: krux totally work as a bottle opener, we use them at work all the time when people can't find theirs

shark tits

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »
wasn't there a dude on here who claimed mini-logo trucks were the best trucks he's skated in decades?  where he at?  i remember he had a pretty convincing argument before i remembered we were talking about mini-logo trucks.

ps: krux totally work as a bottle opener, we use them at work all the time when people can't find theirs
i think his name was bobby the brain heenan. i usedta do the krux trick back in the 90s.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2014, 09:52:45 PM »
whats the difference between 139 and 149s?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2014, 10:22:32 PM »

139/147 = 8"
149 = 8.5"

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »

Jbones i think it was

dillanharp

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »

Oh, about 10mm...

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2014, 09:52:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

139/147 = 8"
149 = 8.5"
yes but aren't they taller too?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 10:29:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

139/147 = 8"
149 = 8.5"
[close]
Indy highs are taller than thunder highs, its very noticeable. Thunders turn 2 quick and any true Indy lover can't stand Thunders lightweight and hair trigger.

Thunder trecently made a new 149, of all trucks they remake a 149er!!?????? Apparently it's a few mm higher, no visual differences.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2014, 02:16:18 AM »
Before I skated Tracker, Venture, Tensor, Orion, Indy, Royal even Pacer trucks way back when...

But, I have just skated Thunder Hi's for 10 years or so.

1st problem I had with a kingpin snapping on their Titanium super-lights, I posted on here to see if I could find a way to get the kingpin out as it wouldn't budge...

A Deluxe rep (Nate) read about it here and contacted me and distribution in HK and hooked me up with a set.

I love the trucks and Deluxe boards too, but for me this whole interaction with Deluxe made me want to buy their products more.

Their products are great and they back it up.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2014, 02:20:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

139/147 = 8"
149 = 8.5"
[close]

Only really depends on the stage, new standards are 55mm i think, reynolds hollows are 53.5 from what i saw on the NHS site

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

139/147 = 8"
149 = 8.5"
[close]
[close]

Only really depends on the stage, new standards are 55mm i think, reynolds hollows are 53.5 from what i saw on the NHS site
reynolds stage 11s are 55, the 10's are 53.5. stage 11 kostons are 53.5 though. only difference between reynolds and kostons forged is the thinner baseplate on the kostons