Author Topic: How is there no plans for a skate video game on next gen consoles?  (Read 15696 times)

ben3350

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -156
Skateboarding popularity has, whether you like it or not, exploded in the last few years. With the help of street league, nike, and all those damn mall shops, it seems skateboarding is bigger than it ever has been.

So why is there absolutely no news of a skateboarding video game on the new consoles? Skateboarding was not really super popular in the mainstream when the tony hawk games came out. Even when the skate games were around it was not as big as it is today.

I'm surprised that Dyrdek hasn't announced some sort of street league game or something like that. I feel like in some way he is the "tony hawk" of what regular people see as mainstream skate culture. Again, not saying any of this is a good thing, just saying how it is.

Also a bit confused why there is no Skate 4. I think I heard that EA's president says there is no market for it. I think this may have been slightly true when Skate 3 came out. But right now it could be a huge business.

When Xbox 360 and PS3 were the newest consoles, it was easier to see why there was no new game because there were already tons of good games on the consoles already. But now, we have new systems are there are 0 games out for skateboarding right now. I know a new skateboarding game that is at least slightly authentic could be huge.

What do you think the likelihood of new skateboarding game on Xbox One/PS4 is?

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
Re: How is there no plans for a skate video game on next gen consoles?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:27:16 AM »
if you can sit on your hands for a bit, and afford an Oculus VR prepare to have your mind fucking blown in 2015.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:41:34 PM »
Games are big fucking business. BIG. The amount of money involved to make a single game these days is becoming ridiculous and getting crazier with every game. Its at a point where big name developers who have the cash to develop for ps4 and xbox1 will not make a game if there is the slightest chance it won't be a success. There can't be any risk. Skateboarding is the biggest its ever been but it is still a niche audience.

The risky games come from indie studios so there are a lot of indie skate games around just not the EA skate you probably want.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:13:42 PM »
i always hear the skate 3 didnt sell bullshit, but i broke my old copy and had to buy another one last year. the one i bought was a 'classics' edition or something though, which doesnt make sense.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Sit on my face

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:21:05 AM »
i always hear the skate 3 didnt sell bullshit, but i broke my old copy and had to buy another one last year. the one i bought was a 'classics' edition or something though, which doesnt make sense.

Eh?? I've went through 3 or 4 copies of skate 3 because i'll literally play until the disc wont work anymore. Also, almost everyone I know who owns a ps3/xbox360 has, or has had a copy of skate 3.

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Eh?? I've went through 3 or 4 copies of skate 3 because i'll literally play until the disc wont work anymore. Also, almost everyone I know who owns a ps3/xbox360 has, or has had a copy of skate 3.

Yeah, same, but then again most of my friends are skaters or have interest in skate culture or have been influenced by me.

I agree that skateboarding is still a niche audience. And that sometimes the skate world feels bigger to me than it actually is, because I surround myself with skaters and and videos and go to skate websites and follow everything about it.

EA's skate sales are only impressive in that they are very good "for a niche subset". Not impressive in general. I think this is slowly changing, and that mainstream and skating are really starting to mesh more than ever before. But even in 2010, when Skate 3 came out, skating was relatively unknown as a culture the way it is seen today. Skate 1 and 2 even much much more so.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, same, but then again most of my friends are skaters or have interest in skate culture or have been influenced by me.

I agree that skateboarding is still a niche audience. And that sometimes the skate world feels bigger to me than it actually is, because I surround myself with skaters and and videos and go to skate websites and follow everything about it.

EA's skate sales are only impressive in that they are very good "for a niche subset". Not impressive in general. I think this is slowly changing, and that mainstream and skating are really starting to mesh more than ever before. But even in 2010, when Skate 3 came out, skating was relatively unknown as a culture the way it is seen today. Skate 1 and 2 even much much more so.

uh yea, no shit. thats why i said it was weird that EA has said it doesn't sell well, yet they market it as a 'classic'. do video games costs/revenue's get reported anywhere?

also if EA didn't disband black box i bet we'd have another skate game by now.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
I know this is off topic, but they did the same thing with snowboarding games. Amped 2 was the best and most realistic snowboarding game ever and they ruined it with 3 (played the demo and it was horrendus). Now there isn't a single good snowboarding game either.

It makes no sense to me, seeing as both skateboarding and snowboarding are more popular now than ever.

I REALLY don't understand the skate franchise going under. They nailed it as a game that's popular with everyone, not just skaters. If you go into the online matches theres people doing insane tony hawk comobs and that's good since it can appeal to the casual point getting gamer  and kids as well.

It's really fucked that there's no skate 4 announcement, I feel like they could make so much money at this point. Almost every kid in my town at least cruises around on a longboard or scooter, and those are the same kids with xboxs who would eat that shit up.

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »

Skate 3 is STILL one of the best selling games at gamestop.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:05:13 AM »
Let's get a petition going! Share on here, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, tumblr, the berrics, etc. we'll have enough signatures to get this shit by next Christmas.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
but I'm just so lazy

Doctor Steeze

• Rep: -9
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »
Just bombard https://twitter.com/petermooreEA with tweets :)

dillanharp

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 01:21:08 AM »
Let's get a petition going! Share on here, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, tumblr, the berrics, etc. we'll have enough signatures to get this shit by next Christmas.

We couldn't even get a petition going condemning screwdriver rape...
http://www.change.org/petitions/steve-berra-suspend-chase-gabor-and-publicly-acknowledge-what-he-did-was-wrong

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 01:47:16 AM »
Maybe its to get kids actually out there skating instead of pretending to skate in a vidya game.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 04:16:24 AM »
Tony said he's doing a new game in some interview recently...

And I'd be surprised if there's no plans for a streetleague game.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

wait, has it really been 4 years since this game came out? Holy shit...

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
There's this guy who was on the original EA skate team ANC now he's trying to make realistic game even more so than any of the Skate games. http://www.projectblank.org/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:28:55 AM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »
There's this guy who was on the original EA skate team ANC now he's trying to make realistic game even more so than any of the Skate games. http://www.projectblank.org/
There's hope!!!!!! The only shitty part for me is I don't play any video games anymore aside from skate, so I really don't want to have to buy a new console just to play one game

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »

That shit just MADE MY MONTH dude holy shit. He seems to have the mindset of making it even more toned down and physics-based than EA Skate! Holy.

foureyedjim

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That shit just MADE MY MONTH dude holy shit. He seems to have the mindset of making it even more toned down and physics-based than EA Skate! Holy.

oooo

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
how can one guy make a game though? the level alone would take years to create, if its gonna be any good. and its gonna be on next gen consoles? i dont get it.

Shazamsung

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »
It wouldn't be too difficult to get a small team together, maybe some buddies who wanna do something in their spare time. Maybe do a kickstarter thing. Wouldn't even have to be a full game. Just a basic one or two cities, and new DLC of cities as they finish them. Totally totally plausible.

Hopefully he follows through.

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »
Hell, even if he could make something playable that was just a small area with a rail, a kicker and a manual pad, it looks like it'd be fun to play around with. I'd pay the price of a regular game for a download without a second thought.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »
Hell, even if he could make something playable that was just a small area with a rail, a kicker and a manual pad, it looks like it'd be fun to play around with. I'd pay the price of a regular game for a download without a second thought.

you would pay 50-60$ for a beta of a game that is basically a crappy demo?

you must be rich or crazy

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 09:37:08 AM »
how can one guy make a game though? the level alone would take years to create, if its gonna be any good. and its gonna be on next gen consoles? i dont get it.

he's most likely just trying to build an mvp that he can pitch and get funded with. he's working through the core features that he will be able to claim will have enough marketing appeal to make the game worth building so that investors will give him the cash to do it proper.

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 10:55:52 PM »
That's absolutely incredible. It's very humbling to see how devoted that this guy really is to skateboarding and designing a game that resembles the physics and mechanics of skateboarding.

I hope that everything all goes through and that it does become fully developed. I'd love to play it.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
I looked at the few posts on his forum, for only putting in about 8hrs of work every weekend things are coming along quite well.

It's a shame that he's probably like 3 years away from an actual game, even if he gets funding. Hopefully once he has skater animations and a more complete proof of concept he can launch a kickstarter or something. We're all getting pretty hungry for a new skate game.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 11:15:06 PM »
Almost 2 million copies worldwide. Better than skate 2, which sold just over 1 million copies, and skate which sold 700K copies.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/39125/skate-3/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/27534/skate-2/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/6987/skate/
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »
Im certain we will get a next-gen skateboarding sim EVENTUALLY. Lots of developers have been quietly at work so who knows whats coming out down the pipeline? we might even get a reveal at this years E3 if we're lucky. I already know another Tony Hawk game has been confirmed but who knows what direction they'll go with it. I know the last few ones didn't sell well & the old-school remake was successful so id imagine they'll probably step away from that motion shit & go back to the more core gameplay. hell, bird man might've wisened up and asked for a whole new sim himself so who knows.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 06:05:25 AM »
I dunno man. I'm sure there will be another THPS game, but I'm positive it will suck.