Author Topic: Japan  (Read 12678 times)

Jive Turkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Re: Japan
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Onigiri huh?  Japanese convenience stores sure get a lot of hype.  I'd imagine they are pretty easy to spot and save a ton of money for lunch.  Also Jive Turkey, that sumo soup sounds good as fuck too.  I read about that a little.

I've heard of these beer vending machines as well.  I assume that implies you can drink on the street.  What about drinking on trains?  Not like a subway in the heart of tokyo but a train to Takao-san for example.
Convenience stores in Japan are actually convenient and the people behind the counter aren't dicks so I think it blows American minds.
Chanko-nabe is fucking awesome. If you're anywhere near Ryogoku at night, go. There's a fuck load of places right around the station. I'd suggest checking out sumo while you're there but I think the tournament is in September.

The Kanda neighborhood has as bunch of used bookstores that are pretty awesome if you're into that sort of thing.

And yeah you can pretty much drink where ever you want. We drink on the train, streets, etc. all the time; no hassle. Just don't be a dick.
Shinjuku, Kabukicho in particular, is not really how it used to be. I don't really think it's all that fun but it's worth going at night at least once. I will echo getting drunk and going to the batting center. It's fucking weird that everyone, including me, does that, but it seriously is a blast.

On another note, does anyone on Slap (other than Thedrew) actually live here?
I'm taking a short skate trip next week if anyone is down to meet up.
-Monday night: Tsukuba.
-Tuesday: Tsukuba (morning) to Tokyo (day/evening) to Yokohama (late night).
-Wednesday: Yokohama and interstyle all day.

If anyone is around holla at ya boy!

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »
Combinis are good but go to some proper restaurants. Lunch sets are always cheaper. The food in Japan is great in general.

If you see The Hop, give it a go.

You can drink (and also piss!) anywhere and it will not really be frowned upon.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 07:38:34 AM »
Shit, my request to take vacation was only partially granted.  I only have 2.5 free days now and that includes adjusting to jet lag.  Oh well, I'll have to make the most of the work nights too.  This trip is just going to be one giant cocktease. 

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »
Im considering going to Tokyo this fall for studies, how is the local community? Are there a lot of skaters etc in the Tokyo area?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »
Im considering going to Tokyo this fall for studies, how is the local community? Are there a lot of skaters etc in the Tokyo area?
Big scene, lots of spots, and lots of nearby day trip places to hit up.
What school?

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2014, 02:23:18 AM »
Thats good news, makes it a lot more interesting for me, haha. I think its eaither Tokyo or Hong Kong i narrowed it down to. Im gonna apply for a semester at Sophia University.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
Nice. Should be a good time either way. Good luck.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:08 AM »
I hope so! I just applied and will get an answer by march. Are you located in Tokyo?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 05:03:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I hope so! I just applied and will get an answer by march. Are you located in Tokyo?
No, I'm in Osaka.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2014, 06:11:06 AM »
I got accepted for Sophia and i'm currently looking for the best accomodation. The university recommended staying at some different student housings, which seems ok, but they all seem to have some crazy rules.
Someone also recommended staying at a host family.
Does anyone have any tips?
Seems like getting a room in an apartment is fairly expensive

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2014, 10:43:54 PM »
I got accepted for Sophia and i'm currently looking for the best accomodation. The university recommended staying at some different student housings, which seems ok, but they all seem to have some crazy rules.
Someone also recommended staying at a host family.
Does anyone have any tips?
Seems like getting a room in an apartment is fairly expensive
An apartment will be expensive even if you can find a housemate, unless you have a job. I assume your student visa won't allow that though.

A host family is a good option because they'll essentially provide everything you would normally have to buy if you lived on your own. It'll also help with learning the language and customs. The only risk is you may end up in some shitty strict household. Also with a host family you will be giving up some independence regardless of how cool they are.

Weigh that against the student housing situation.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2014, 11:01:37 PM »
There are a chain of apartos, called Lion mansions (i think). They cost a bit more than regular rent but you get a short lease and dont have to pay the nasty gifts to landlords/estate agents fees/deposits etc.I heard that some hotels were also available on a monthly basis. There are also gaijin houses too, which are usually chock full of cunts, but cheap and they also dont require loads of cash in advance...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2014, 07:18:24 AM »
student housing is hit/ miss here; some places are run like prisons, others (where i studied) will lend you a mattress when your mates stay over (for a week). i'm not sure how long you are going but homestay is also going to be hit/ miss especially if you are a uni student. do you really want to feel like you have obligations to some random family for 6 months/ a whole year? leo palace is another place that can do short-term furnished apartments but as the frip mentioned you'll pay for the extra service. guess it depends on what sort of lifestyle you want to lead, i currently work at a uni and while the dorm is isolated i can tell you now, the students do have a lot of fun. again, perhaps it's better to outline the sort of stuff you'd like to do.

p.s. you can get a work permit for a student visa after you arrive, it usually allows you to work 28 hrs per week throughout semester 8)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »
Hook up with a Japanese chick ASAP, rock her world so hard she has to marry you.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »
student housing is hit/ miss here; some places are run like prisons, others (where i studied) will lend you a mattress when your mates stay over (for a week). i'm not sure how long you are going but homestay is also going to be hit/ miss especially if you are a uni student. do you really want to feel like you have obligations to some random family for 6 months/ a whole year? leo palace is another place that can do short-term furnished apartments but as the frip mentioned you'll pay for the extra service. guess it depends on what sort of lifestyle you want to lead, i currently work at a uni and while the dorm is isolated i can tell you now, the students do have a lot of fun. again, perhaps it's better to outline the sort of stuff you'd like to do.

p.s. you can get a work permit for a student visa after you arrive, it usually allows you to work 28 hrs per week throughout semester 8)

Thanks for the input. Although some of the reviews of the studenthousings offered through sophia vary i think this is what ill have to og for. I considered staying at a host family, but i dont think id like to gamble on that. I heard som pretty horrifying stories from students who ended up ap the wrong place.

I really just want stay at a descent place where i can come and go as i please and have a place to sleep that is not super far away from everything. It would be a huge bonus if i could get an extra matress for homies who might visit, but it looks like they are quite strict.

Sophia offers housing at: Soshigaya international house, dk house warabi, dk house nerima and azalea house. Are any of those neighbourhoods preferable?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
Sophia offers housing at: Soshigaya international house, dk house warabi, dk house nerima and azalea house. Are any of those neighbourhoods preferable?
The DK House Nerima and Azalea House are both moderately close to Ikebukuro so those are probably the best to shoot for. DK Nerima is closest to the train station so it's probably the better of the 2.
Soshigaya is on the outskirts but still in Tokyo.
DK Warabi is in Saitama.

You're going to want to be as close to the city and your uni as possible, so go for Nerima or Azalea. Trains do not run 24 hours, taxis are expensive and skating is mostly done at night here.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2014, 02:29:33 AM »
fuck! i am now inspired to take a trip. I get a week off in October- how would it be weatherwise? I of course wanna come to skate so I;d prefer the dry season.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
fuck! i am now inspired to take a trip. I get a week off in October- how would it be weatherwise? I of course wanna come to skate so I;d prefer the dry season.
October is actually quite nice. Still warm, no longer humid.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2014, 07:14:58 AM »
Ah this thread...unfortunately I didn't even skate when I was in Japan.  I did do a shit load of tourist stuff though and covered a lot of ground in Tokyo and got to briefly go to some smaller Japanese towns too.  I'm hoping to go back next Spring and will definitely do some skating then.