Author Topic: Knees.  (Read 31260 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
Knees.
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »
So I'm sure I'm not the only one here with knee problems. Sorta comes with the territory of skateboarding for years. Although I've never had any serious injuries it's starting to really get to me how much of a chore it is to pop my board. I can't even skate a ledge without my legs trembling as I roll up, and if I skate any sort of drop I'll barely be able to walk for the next week. Even if I'm just cruising they give out way too quickly.

So if anybody else is in the same boat, how do you deal with it? I always stretch before I skate, but lately I don't even have the strength to pop my board.

Tay

Re: Knees.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »

So if anybody else is in the same boat, how do you deal with it?

Advil and caffeine.  :-[ getting old is disappointing. 

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
mine are fucked, in the ass
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

jim

• Rep: -23
  • Guess that's why they call it window pane
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:29:22 AM »
work them out,stretch them daily,eat good stuff,smoke weed 420
Does it hurt when you skate?
If no: Go skate
If yes: Go skate

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:46:23 AM »
Best thing to do is get a bike, I had a few surgeries and lost a lot of muscle and had the same type of symptoms you are talking about after, it was hard to work out my legs because most leg strengthening exercises put quite a bit of strain on your knees, but with a bike there is no impact so its super easy on your joints and it will build up muscle at a steady rate. Another plus is once you start doing it for a while your endurance builds up so you don't get winded as easily when you skate.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »
As already told, biking and stretching is good.
For about 2 years ago i added some glucosamine to my routine.
It helps to build up cartilage in your knees. Haven't had any problems since.
You might want to give it a try.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
I've had a great help in acupuncture and yoga.
Shit works like magic!!
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:04:30 PM »
This shit works. Of course in addition to light exercise and daily stretching. Granted I still can't skate like I used to, but they're strong and don't hurt or swell.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
I also try to ride bike before 30 minutes or so before I skate.  Stretching and hydrating seems to help a lot too.  I have bad genetics and I'm heavier than most skateboarders so I put a lot of stress on my knees
For Your Health

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »
Best thing to do is get a bike, I had a few surgeries and lost a lot of muscle and had the same type of symptoms you are talking about after, it was hard to work out my legs because most leg strengthening exercises put quite a bit of strain on your knees, but with a bike there is no impact so its super easy on your joints and it will build up muscle at a steady rate. Another plus is once you start doing it for a while your endurance builds up so you don't get winded as easily when you skate.

Yup. Road cycling is some of the best cross-training you can do as a skateboarder. And yeah, I know that the term "cross-training" may not sit well, but at 30+ It really makes a difference.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 10:59:23 AM »

It'll cost ya

plankskate

• Rep: 8
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »

22 years of skating has been hell on my knees.  Glucosamine made a HUGE difference...  It takes about 2 weeks of taking them before you'll notice a difference.  

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 06:31:15 AM »
Stuff that has been said already, bike, glucosamine, stretching ect. plus swimming and using a theraband tied to your ankles and doing slow controlled kicks to the side and slow on the return.

Tay

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 06:37:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

22 years of skating has been hell on my knees.  Glucosamine made a HUGE difference...  It takes about 2 weeks of taking them before you'll notice a difference.  

Never heard of Glucosamine. Just bought a bulk supply. Hoping I see results! Thanks buddy.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
I got myself some glucosamine and multivitamins last week, and I've definitely noticed a difference! I've only gotten to skate a few times since then because of finals and such, but I can pop my board again and skate for much longer than before I started taking them. I've been riding my bike when it's warm too, so that probably helps.

Not a Fotograph

• Rep: 2
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »
My skating is better when I'm working out too. Stuff like step back lunges and kettlebells. The band idea is a good one too. Not trying to set any max, be a meathead or blow my knees out pushing too much weight. Be smart and start light. But when I do those and other stuff that gets my hips and legs involved, my knees last longer and I have more energy to pump and leap.
I took about 5-6 weeks off from going to the gym and even with skating more during this time, I can feel the difference that not exercising hips and legs is doing to my knees.
Yeah, getting old is rough.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:31 PM »
Not totally sure on all the herbal / diet / hippie shit but I know potassium is good for your muscles, magnesium is good for something, multivitamins in general, and swimming. Swimming rules.

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 12:23:21 AM »
The use of a glucosamine supplement orally does not help in decreasing knee pain or lessen cartilage deterioration among people with chronic knee pain, says a new study.

Glucosamine is the second most commonly-used natural product to treat joint pain and arthritis. Previous reports have tallied global sales of the supplement at more than $2 billion. Chondroitin is another popular product.

The double-blind, placebo-controlled trial by researchers at the University of Arizona is published in Arthritis & Rheumatology.

Don't pay for joint supplements, insurers told
    Arthritis costs Canada $33B a year

The researchers say its the first study to investigate whether a glucosamine supplement helps with knee pain, prevents the worsening of cartilage damage or improves bone marrow lesions ? which are thought to be the source of pain in those with osteoarthritis.

Osteoarthritis affects an estimated three million people, which amounts to roughly one in 10 Canadians, according to the Arthritis Society.

Dr. C. Kent Kwoh enrolled 201 people with mild to moderate pain in one or both knees in his study. The participants, aged 35 to 65, were recruited from physician offices and the University of Pittsburgh Arthritis Registry.

They were split into two groups:

Those treated daily with 1500 mg of glucosamine hydrochloride in a 16-oz bottle of diet lemonade.
    Those treated with a placebo.

During a 24-week period, the participants were followed up with phone calls every four weeks. At the end of that period, they all underwent an MRI to assess the cartilage damage in their knees.

Researchers assessed both groups on four things:

knee pain.
    degradation of cartilage.
    bone marrow lesions.
    the excretion of CTX-11 in urine.

Researchers discovered that there was no difference in any of those characteristics between the group that took the glucosamine and the group that had the placebo.

The urinary excretion of C-telopeptdes of type II collagen (CTX-11) is a predictor of cartilage destruction. Researchers found that there was no decrease in that either.

?Our study found no evidence that drinking a glucosamine supplement reduced knee cartilage damage, relieved pain, or improved function in individuals with chronic knee pain,? concluded Dr. Kwoh in his study.

The study was funded by The National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, the Beverage Institute for Health & Wellness and The Coca-Cola Company, which provided the lemonade.

Tay

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 05:13:06 PM »
The use of a glucosamine supplement orally does not help in decreasing knee pain or lessen cartilage deterioration among people with chronic knee pain, says a new study.

Glucosamine is the second most commonly-used natural product to treat joint pain and arthritis. Previous reports have tallied global sales of the supplement at more than $2 billion. Chondroitin is another popular product.

The double-blind, placebo-controlled trial by researchers at the University of Arizona is published in Arthritis & Rheumatology.

The researchers say its the first study to investigate whether a glucosamine supplement helps with knee pain, prevents the worsening of cartilage damage or improves bone marrow lesions ? which are thought to be the source of pain in those with osteoarthritis.

Osteoarthritis affects an estimated three million people, which amounts to roughly one in 10 Canadians, according to the Arthritis Society.

Dr. C. Kent Kwoh enrolled 201 people with mild to moderate pain in one or both knees in his study. The participants, aged 35 to 65, were recruited from physician offices and the University of Pittsburgh Arthritis Registry.

Those treated daily with 1500 mg of glucosamine hydrochloride in a 16-oz bottle of diet lemonade.

During a 24-week period, the participants were followed up with phone calls every four weeks. At the end of that period, they all underwent an MRI to assess the cartilage damage in their knees.

knee pain.
    bone marrow lesions.

Researchers discovered that there was no difference in any of those characteristics between the group that took the glucosamine and the group that had the placebo.

The urinary excretion of C-telopeptdes of type II collagen (CTX-11) is a predictor of cartilage destruction. Researchers found that there was no decrease in that either.

?Our study found no evidence that drinking a glucosamine supplement reduced knee cartilage damage, relieved pain, or improved function in individuals with chronic knee pain,? concluded Dr. Kwoh in his study.

The study was funded by The National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, the Beverage Institute for Health & Wellness and The Coca-Cola Company, which provided the lemonade.

Well damn, that's unfortunate. I haven't noticed any difference   :( 

Tracer

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 10:56:45 PM »
Expand Quote

knee pain.
    bone marrow lesions.

[close]

Well damn, that's unfortunate. I haven't noticed any difference   :( 
lol you're under 25 you don't need bone supplements. I saw your videos on youtube (mad pop) and the way you skate, glucosamine shouldn't be an issue. Stretching yes but not supplements!

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
There's so much debate about the effectiveness of glucosamine supplements in the medical community it makes me dizzy. It comes in so many forms (liquid, powder, tablet, capsule), and it's totally unregulated which makes it really difficult to study comprehensively. I take glucosamine sulfate 2x day in gel cap form in the hopes that it may make a bit of a difference. After a few months taking it, it's tough to say whether it's working.  I do feel a bit better and seem a lil less creaky, but I've also been eating more intelligently and taking a multi-vitamin so I can't genuinely isolate the effect of the glucosamine from the other factors.

shitpoop

• Rep: -5
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
im at 15, everytime i squat and get back up it creaks and makes random noises and shit and hurts

JAesop

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »
Glucosamine does not build cartilage, it only provides the chemical building blocks for synovial fluid found in your joint capsules. Cartilage can be largely avascular (without blood flow) and it is very difficult to regenerate. There have been some studies that glucosamine does help synovial fluid production. I used to take it after my meniscal surgery but never noticed  any major difference. But if it helps you feel better...

@thewilleasley

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:25 PM »

haha definitely this. Ive torn the meniscus in both my knees before & they've been prone to flaring up for years. I actually recently got diagnosed with Osgood-schlatters syndrome just a few months ago which enabled me to get a MMJ card. I started working with a personal trainer about 6 weeks ago & he has me do a lot of shit with my core & lower body & exercises that require balance/coordination and since I've started building muscle throughout my body (measurements show my legs have gotten stronger/thicker) i haven't had any knee problems at all. I've learned when doing weighted squats you gotta engage the muscles in your legs & glutes to absorb most of the impact, NOT the connective tissue of your knees or the length of your back. you keep doing that shit over time & it'll fuck with you. If ollie a large gap and land (or even kick out) with proper technique, that takes much less of a toll on my body than if I were to ollie down a smaller gap but land in a way where my knees & back are doing the heavy lifting.

Other keys for taking care of your knees

-Glucosamin pills & Multivitamins
-Eating right CONSISTENTLY over an extended period of time
-Yoga and/or some other form of daily stretching, again over an extended period of time
-SLEEP. the most underestimated & overlooked aspect in most health matters. you need this shit to recover & if you aren't getting enough regularly you WILL notice a difference. You may be able to deal with not getting as much sleep as you should every night but you'll notice who has more "off" days between a guy who does get his sleep & another who doesn't. the shit is just as important as anything as else regarding your health
-foam rollers are reallllllly fucking nice to roll out all the tension in your muscles & back. even a cheapo $20 one at target will serve you well if you use it regularly. I use one every day and it pushes out all those knots & tight spots throughout your body. its a simple thing but if you let that tension build up in certain areas, it forces your body to overcompensate in other areas which can lead to soreness & injury. places like your thighs & hips are like the junk droors of the body & you might think your legs are fine until you use a foam roller and wonder how something so seemingly harmless can ache so bad. That shit will leave you feeling loose than a muthafucka i highly advise y'all to invest in one.

rly

• Rep: 0
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
+1 to getting/using a bike-- after I had knee surgery a couple of times I hired one of those stationary exer-cycle bike things, and did half an hour or each while watching TV or whatever. Even though it's probably only strengthening all of the muscles surrounding your knee, it definitely gives you a better sense of a stability once you've been doing it for a little while.

fortytree

• Rep: 2
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »
im at 15, everytime i squat and get back up it creaks and makes random noises and shit and hurts
i suggest to get a MRI done. had the same problem for a while. got it checked out and it turned out my ACL was half torn.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 01:18:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haha definitely this. Ive torn the meniscus in both my knees before & they've been prone to flaring up for years. I actually recently got diagnosed with Osgood-schlatters syndrome just a few months ago which enabled me to get a MMJ card. I started working with a personal trainer about 6 weeks ago & he has me do a lot of shit with my core & lower body & exercises that require balance/coordination and since I've started building muscle throughout my body (measurements show my legs have gotten stronger/thicker) i haven't had any knee problems at all. I've learned when doing weighted squats you gotta engage the muscles in your legs & glutes to absorb most of the impact, NOT the connective tissue of your knees or the length of your back. you keep doing that shit over time & it'll fuck with you. If ollie a large gap and land (or even kick out) with proper technique, that takes much less of a toll on my body than if I were to ollie down a smaller gap but land in a way where my knees & back are doing the heavy lifting.

Other keys for taking care of your knees

-Glucosamin pills & Multivitamins
-Eating right CONSISTENTLY over an extended period of time
-Yoga and/or some other form of daily stretching, again over an extended period of time
-SLEEP. the most underestimated & overlooked aspect in most health matters. you need this shit to recover & if you aren't getting enough regularly you WILL notice a difference. You may be able to deal with not getting as much sleep as you should every night but you'll notice who has more "off" days between a guy who does get his sleep & another who doesn't. the shit is just as important as anything as else regarding your health
-foam rollers are reallllllly fucking nice to roll out all the tension in your muscles & back. even a cheapo $20 one at target will serve you well if you use it regularly. I use one every day and it pushes out all those knots & tight spots throughout your body. its a simple thing but if you let that tension build up in certain areas, it forces your body to overcompensate in other areas which can lead to soreness & injury. places like your thighs & hips are like the junk droors of the body & you might think your legs are fine until you use a foam roller and wonder how something so seemingly harmless can ache so bad. That shit will leave you feeling loose than a muthafucka i highly advise y'all to invest in one.

love/hate my foam roller for these reasons
hardly art, hardly starving

4wheels

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »
anyone else had problems with their meniscus? im pretty sure mine is torn pretty bad and its causing my knee to lockup occasionally, might have to get a meniscectomy.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 06:19:02 AM »
GLUCOSAMINE TABLETS!!! they way they work on my body is the cure to exactly what the op described. you just have to take the medicine for months at a time. im 36 and skate almost every day, mainly ledges. i find that my main concern are my ankles. i can do 3 days skate and then have to take a day off because my ankles feel dislocated no matter how "bolts" i have been landing those 3 days.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 10:02:59 PM »
I didn't read everything so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but it's actually "better," so to speak, to stretch after a session as oppose to before. Your joints and tendons will be snappier, and stretching afterwards will soothe the effects that extensive use will have induced. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but as a physical therapist told me once, it's really all theory and everyone's body is different.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes