Author Topic: Knees.  (Read 31261 times)

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: Knees.
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 12:29:55 AM »
Glucosamine does not build cartilage, it only provides the chemical building blocks for synovial fluid found in your joint capsules. Cartilage can be largely avascular (without blood flow) and it is very difficult to regenerate. There have been some studies that glucosamine does help synovial fluid production. I used to take it after my meniscal surgery but never noticed  any major difference. But if it helps you feel better...

this! by just taking a pill no-one should expect to become jamie thomas. however, glucosamine is one of the very few medicines whose effect i totally aknowledge. i take 3 pills daily for 3 months and start feeling some effects after about a month and a half. definitely making my knees feel better and definitely helping me skate for 6 hrs non stop, hungover. i fucking swear by this med but it could just be me taking a huge placebo and actually doing self/mind-maintenance on my joints
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2016, 08:51:56 PM »
Can being lazy (sitting down too long) seem like serious knee problems? I'm 27 and i don't feel much pain, just this weird large vein that swells up when i shower on my right leg, it trips me out.
even the steven

shone237

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 08:21:16 AM »
I have 2 ice packs that I wear on my knees in my car on the way to the skate park.  By the time I get to the park, my knees feel years younger than the rest of my rusty carcass.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:26:24 AM by shone237 »

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 08:49:51 AM »
Sorry to bump an old thread as it's also kind of a shot in the dark but I have a couple of problems and maybe some of you had them as well and can help.

1) flick ankle is weak. It bends more than the other one and is weaker for sure, slightly hurts after every session lately since I rolled it twice this summer, but I'm sure this can be solved strengthen it with that balancing thing you step on with just one foot, I don't know the name.

2) pushing knee. That's the real problem. I slightly fucked my meniscus when I was playing basketball full time as a kid (the famous knee-knee injury, cunt's knee going against the internal side of mine). Went and did PT correctly, then picked up skate and after starting skating switch/nollie it started to hurt. Over the years I've been doing multiple scans and visits with loads of doctors and they told me it was fine every time, just needed more exercise. Now, nothing made a difference: biking, swimming, gym, stop skating for a week etc. I get sharp pains in the internal part of the knee all the time and it just feels weak. I can still skate through that but I always wonder how would it be to have a pushing knee as solid as the other one.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

JAesop

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread as it's also kind of a shot in the dark but I have a couple of problems and maybe some of you had them as well and can help.

1) flick ankle is weak. It bends more than the other one and is weaker for sure, slightly hurts after every session lately since I rolled it twice this summer, but I'm sure this can be solved strengthen it with that balancing thing you step on with just one foot, I don't know the name.

2) pushing knee. That's the real problem. I slightly fucked my meniscus when I was playing basketball full time as a kid (the famous knee-knee injury, cunt's knee going against the internal side of mine). Went and did PT correctly, then picked up skate and after starting skating switch/nollie it started to hurt. Over the years I've been doing multiple scans and visits with loads of doctors and they told me it was fine every time, just needed more exercise. Now, nothing made a difference: biking, swimming, gym, stop skating for a week etc. I get sharp pains in the internal part of the knee all the time and it just feels weak. I can still skate through that but I always wonder how would it be to have a pushing knee as solid as the other one.

Are the scans/images negative for a tear? Because it sounds like the tear didn't heal which is not uncommon. Small meniscus tears don't necessarily get worse but they often do not heal. The outcome can also be influenced by the shape of the tear. Often small portions of a tear can be compressed or catch during certain movements. If your knee ever feels unstable when you step down or feels like it catches with some movements it is likely there is a non healed tear. Sharp pain deep in the knee often is a sign of a tear or possibly a small cyst/ bursitis. PT and exercise will help strengthen the musculature supporting the knee but it won't heal a tear. ( I am in the PT biz and have actually had meniscus surgery as well). One other possibility is that you have altered the way you move due to the injury and your knee is irritated because of the change...

If it were me -I would go a month without impact or rotational force on my knees ( so much for skating)
Concentrate on quadriceps strengthening using only closed chain exercises( light, safe range squats, wall squats etc...)
Improve circulation by not smoking( if you do) and by continuing to do aerobic exercise (bike, swim),
Stay well hydrated and use anti inflammatory measures like icing and possibly NSAIDs (Ibuprofen etc)
You will know if you are going to be over it by then...

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »
Stretch twice a day..once immediately after getting out of bed, once before bed, and 4x on skate days (right before and after skating).

Trembling? Weak stabilizing muscles around the knee? A glitch in your nervous system? Either way: pedal a bicycle with the seat at the proper height regularly and visit a good chiro once or twice a month until you can maintain it yourself.

Work your core muscles.

Proper nutrition and a good calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement (cheap at Target).

That's what works for me at 42 and I'm probably a more skilled skateboarder now than ever before.

I did blow my mcl and meniscus about 20 years ago, so I always wear an Asterisk knee brace to be safe. Most days I feel like I don't really need it but there's been a few times recently where I'm glad I didn't have to find out that I do indeed need it. Just wear it. It doesn't get in the way and I forget about it as soon as I start skating.

44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 02:42:48 PM »
Contrary to the popular belief, streching before session is not really that beneficial...it actually makes you more prone to injuries,cos of the micro ruptures in muscles and tendons that you get during the strech! Especially if you are doing it "cold"!
It`s better to do some cardio before,just pushing around and breaking a sweat in general...joints and muscles need to warm up,like a good sports car!
I am 43,and I have apx. 9 , one and a half hour long trainings per week (thats what I do for a living)! I spar with much younger fighters then me, roll with them,holding mitts and all that shit and still skate min. 6 hours per week for the last 6 months regulary...my knees are still going strong!
For me the key is in quality food,hydration and rest...glucosamine is not popular in my gym,but there is this Russian shit called Moomiyo and it works wonders!
Google it,hope it helps and good luck with your healing!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:07:05 PM by Lobo »

B. Hopper

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »
Contrary to the popular belief, streching before session is not really that beneficial...it actually makes you more prone to injuries,cos of the micro ruptures in muscles and tendons that you get during the strech! Especially if you are doing it "cold"!
It`s better to do some cardio before,just pushing around and breaking a sweat in general...joints and muscles need to warm up,like a good sports car!
I am 43,and I have apx. 9 , one and a half hour long trainings per week (thats what I do for a living)! I spar with much younger fighters then me, roll with them,holding mitts and all that shit and still skate min. 6 hours per week for the last 6 months regulary...my knees are still going strong!
For me the key is in quality food,hydration and rest...glucosamine is not popular in my gym,but there is this Russian shit called Moomiyo and it works wonders!
Google it,hope it helps and good luck with your healing!!!

I should have been more specific on types of stretches and the x factors around said stretching. You're right, but I'm not wrong either. There's definitely more to it than just "stretch".
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
Cheers guys :)
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Ben De Gros

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2018, 10:52:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Best thing to do is get a bike, I had a few surgeries and lost a lot of muscle and had the same type of symptoms you are talking about after, it was hard to work out my legs because most leg strengthening exercises put quite a bit of strain on your knees, but with a bike there is no impact so its super easy on your joints and it will build up muscle at a steady rate. Another plus is once you start doing it for a while your endurance builds up so you don't get winded as easily when you skate.
[close]

Yup. Road cycling is some of the best cross-training you can do as a skateboarder. And yeah, I know that the term "cross-training" may not sit well, but at 30+ It really makes a difference.
If your old enough that your knees are hurting but you still want to skate and reduce injuries "cross training" is a phrase you might want to get comfortable with. Calisthenic exercises are also great for strengthening all the stabilizing muscles that will help reduce pain (and even bring back a little pop and possibility of accomplishing manuals).

gollum mcjinglemeballs

• Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
I got weird one. For the past month my leading knee has been hurting right above the knee on the inner side. If I squat I can't really feel it, but I sit indian style or move it in similar direction it starts to hurt. The pain seems to somehow be connected to my outer thigh. If I start moving around it stops hurting but it's been a bitch to get warmed up lately.

Getting old blows

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
I sprained my left knee badly last month. A fellow postman going through the same shit I am swears by CBD oil tinctures, and i've gotta say that I feel a noticeable difference after a few days and would definitely recommend.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 09:57:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Best thing to do is get a bike, I had a few surgeries and lost a lot of muscle and had the same type of symptoms you are talking about after, it was hard to work out my legs because most leg strengthening exercises put quite a bit of strain on your knees, but with a bike there is no impact so its super easy on your joints and it will build up muscle at a steady rate. Another plus is once you start doing it for a while your endurance builds up so you don't get winded as easily when you skate.
[close]

Yup. Road cycling is some of the best cross-training you can do as a skateboarder. And yeah, I know that the term "cross-training" may not sit well, but at 30+ It really makes a difference.
[close]
If your old enough that your knees are hurting but you still want to skate and reduce injuries "cross training" is a phrase you might want to get comfortable with. Calisthenic exercises are also great for strengthening all the stabilizing muscles that will help reduce pain (and even bring back a little pop and possibility of accomplishing manuals).

Hey dude, really enjoy your YT videos, subscribed last week!

D.O.T. DIY

• Rep: -45
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 02:38:28 AM »
Look at your diet, a lot of foods and shit can cause this to happen. Stay away from alcohol

B. Hopper

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »
Look at your diet, a lot of foods and shit can cause this to happen. Stay away from alcohol

This

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 05:34:52 PM »
  Worse case scenario you can still luge board, once your old and can barely walk maybe luge boarding would be fun at that point..  When I'm too old to pop up on my surfboard you know I'll be out there on a surf mat with flippers on.   You just have to keep at it no matter what.  What ever you do it's not going to look good once your over a certain age but that's the territory. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

99Pancakes

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2018, 09:09:04 AM »
Re-injured my knee whilst wearing my brace that I got 2 years ago when I tore my ACL and Meniscus. Think it's just an LCL bruise this time... fingers crossed/pray for me.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2019, 07:01:52 AM »
Pretty sure osteoarthritis has come for me finally. Docs have been telling me it was going to eventually forever considering I’ve been tearing my ACL and meniscus repeatedly since I was 16.

Any gave advice on arthritis? It’s never hurt like this before but now after a long day my knee is fucked.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2019, 09:10:46 AM »
I do basic barbell lifts (squats, deadlifts) twice a week and take light and rest days to make sure I have time to heal and recover. Keep your legs strong and take time to recover. At 39 there is no other realistic way to keep my knees healthy skating 3-5 times a week and having a very physical career.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »
I do basic barbell lifts (squats, deadlifts) twice a week and take light and rest days to make sure I have time to heal and recover. Keep your legs strong and take time to recover. At 39 there is no other realistic way to keep my knees healthy skating 3-5 times a week and having a very physical career.

I second this. I'm 39 too and a couple a years ago had severe tendinitis in my knee from skating too much. The pain was so severe that I thought I had some sort of arthritis or torn meniscus. Had to stop skating for 8 months. Luckily I found the right exercises to get rid of it.

For me what worked the best was bulgarian split squats (with your upper body leaning forward so that the pressure goes right on the muscles around the knee). After doing these for one month the pain started to diminish and after 3 months of exercising every day I could skate again. 3 sets of 20 reps every day with your body weight, and later when the pain allows once a week 3 sets of 10 reps with as heavy dumbells (ot kettlebells) in your hands as you can. It sounds jockish but it actually took very little time to do the exercise.

Since I got healthy again I've gotten lazier and don't do it every day. But even now if I feel knee pain starting to creep up I up the bulgarian split squats and the pain goes away in a week or so.

Definitely highly recommend them to anyone with knee problems. Try for one month and see what happens.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:09:30 PM by corto »

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2019, 08:25:06 AM »
Don't take advil for the pain. It inhibits cartilage growth.
No.

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2019, 08:15:25 PM »
I'll second, or third, or whatever the importance of using a foam roller. This winter for the first time I noticed that my knees would get achy after skating in the cold. Using a foam roller (and using it correctly) on my legs made a noticeable difference.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 12:08:20 AM »
Had cartilage replaced when I was 19. Doctor who did it, specialized in feet (don't know the nerd name for it), but he said it was the most cartilage he had seen missing. He assumes it must have been a specific incident (I didn't have one for him, other than its hurt since freshman year of HS), that got worse and worse, from other incidents.

Didn't get the ok to do anything but walk till a year after the surgery (it was new at the time I got it), and it hasn't felt the same since.

Just before I turned 30 I got sober, started working out, and went on hikes regularly. Even started doing hikes with weights in my backpack (10-20 lbs. If you try this be careful, and keep your back straight the whole time). When I started skating again, it felt better than when I was skating again around 24-26 (I was riding my bike often around that time).

I don't have any science behind it, but not drinking, and the hiking I felt helped my knee the most. It will probably never be normal again ( I swear I feel the foreign cartilage when its cold), but I can finally skate until I'm actually tired, and not because of swelling/tenderness/soreness/weakness.
The chillest1

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »
A doctor just told me to try glucosamine even though the internet webmb etc says it may not do anything. Giving it a try.

I kinda gave up on the idea of a brace but has anyone found a brace that isn’t terrible to skate in?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2019, 03:49:47 AM »
Lots of cycling weed and water. Ur still gonna lose pop but that does not mean you cant still progress at skateboarding.  I still havent rolled in on vert and you dont need any pop for that. Stop jumping down anything bigger than a stair or 3.  So much more to skating anyway.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2019, 05:19:44 AM »
Lots of cycling weed and water. Ur still gonna lose pop but that does not mean you cant still progress at skateboarding.  I still havent rolled in on vert and you dont need any pop for that. Stop jumping down anything bigger than a stair or 3.  So much more to skating anyway.

Lol mane I’ve done my ACL and meniscus 3 times. I definitely stopped jumping down shit.  I really don’t miss that type of skating very often, but it is weird that I haven’t had the feeling of being scared to try something in years

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2019, 05:20:22 AM »
I mean some low impact stuff can be scary but not quite the same as jumping off something

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2019, 04:14:50 AM »
Oshgood schlatter in both knees since I was a kid but only the left one gives me trouble usually and still looks like I have a double knee cap.

Thc/Cbd topical rub feels so good when it gets swollen. That with an ice pack and my knee feels pretty good in half an hour or less.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2019, 09:51:20 AM »
Cycling is great for knees, gets all the fluids flowing everywhere they should.

I'm fighting a knee issue that the docs can't figure out= deep bends with a weird foot angle give me a 'twisting' pain across my kneecap. Xrays and MRIs = nothing. Happens when I squat or lung/dip for ollies too soon/not warmed up; Doing lunges as warm-ups works wonders for it tho.

Also, old.

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »
Cycling for sure helps. I’ve been out more since it got warmer lately