Author Topic: Footage Leaked by Former Pro Skater... PLEASE HELP!!!  (Read 2243 times)

Anonymous Filmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Footage Leaked by Former Pro Skater... PLEASE HELP!!!
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
So, I need some help. I've been working on a skate film for 5+ summers. Long story short (and without many details), I made a sponsor tape with the footage of my friend, gave it to the former pro who moved and now runs a business in our town that sponsors my friend, and allowed them to show it to potential sponsors during a trip they went on, with the promise that none of it be leaked or shown to anyone else (this was in writing and was verbally promised). We found out the other day that this former pro has been showing it to people at the business (local skaters, etc.). I'm pretty upset, but that's just the beginning. Since I found out I had my friend talk to the guy and tell him to delete his copy (which he promised not to make, only my friend has the hard-copy). I posted some words online saying I knew what was going on and it might be another couple summers of re-filming tricks (and insane enders that have never been done) and people from his business and his supporters (he is a former pro, I am just a local guy who skates and films every day) have targeted me and are harassing me online, in person, and through vandalism at our skatepark. What would you do if you were in my place? Re-film to replace the leaked tricks, or use what has been seen? How do I handle this harassing from fellow skateboarders (who have been harassing me since I started skating this town in the very late 90's)?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Footage Leaked by Former Pro Skater... PLEASE HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:37:24 PM »
This is pretty common. If you are making a video for an extended period of time, stuff will get leaked if you give out footage. Especially in this day and age.

1. Vimeo private links. Change the password a lot.
2. No reason to refilm the same clips.
3. There's a lot of footage out there and people will likely forget. Just use it.
4. Don't post negative rants on social media.
5. Just move on and don't hate people over footage. It will just make you bitter over something that is never really personal.

This is coming from someone with experience (except #4. I keep my online illusion/persona positive and PG-13).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:00:47 AM by happenstance »

pizzarules

• Rep: -24
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »
why don't you return the favor and tell us who this former pro is?

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
drink ur own

dillanharp

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 10:09:01 PM »
why don't you return the favor and tell us who this former pro is?

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:09:09 PM »
So, I need some help. I've been working on a skate film for 5+ summers. Long story short (and without many details), I made a sponsor tape with the footage of my friend, gave it to the former pro who moved and now runs a business in our town that sponsors my friend, and allowed them to show it to potential sponsors during a trip they went on, with the promise that none of it be leaked or shown to anyone else (this was in writing and was verbally promised). We found out the other day that this former pro has been showing it to people at the business (local skaters, etc.). I'm pretty upset, but that's just the beginning. Since I found out I had my friend talk to the guy and tell him to delete his copy (which he promised not to make, only my friend has the hard-copy). I posted some words online saying I knew what was going on and it might be another couple summers of re-filming tricks (and insane enders that have never been done) and people from his business and his supporters (he is a former pro, I am just a local guy who skates and films every day) have targeted me and are harassing me online, in person, and through vandalism at our skatepark. What would you do if you were in my place? Re-film to replace the leaked tricks, or use what has been seen? How do I handle this harassing from fellow skateboarders (who have been harassing me since I started skating this town in the very late 90's)?

If they have been harassing you, or you haven't won them over in 15+ years, you probably suck, and it's you.  Otherwise, listen to happenstance, he knows.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?