Author Topic: Why is Adidas Cooler than Nike  (Read 17325 times)

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Why is Adidas Cooler than Nike
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »
My reasons
- The logo the "swoosh" is fuckin gross and lame but the 3 stripes are beautifully minimal especially white stripes on a black shoe
-more cohesive image/team
-wayyyyyyyy better videos/webclips
-Adidas shoes have a simple samba/shelltoe/mundial sensibility where as Nikes are either "boat shoes" or ugly ass rip offs or jordans
-Nike's "bigger boys came" image(Nike being the bigger boys) is pretty repulsive, where as Adidas SB has more mid sized "skate brand" esthetic 
-Busenitz both the shoe and the man

edit: Puig b2b Real jersey b2b bucket hat b2b towel
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:48:21 PM by perverted super otaku! »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Why is Adidas Cooler than Nike
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »
My reasons
- The logo the "swoosh" is fuckin gross and lame but the 3 stripes are beautifully minimal especially white stripes on a black shoe
-more cohesive image/team
-wayyyyyyyy better videos/webclips
-Adidas shoes have a simple samba/shelltoe/mundial sensibility where as Nikes are either "boat shoes" or ugly ass rip offs or jordans
-Nike's "bigger boys came" image(Nike being the bigger boys) is pretty repulsive, where as Adidas SB has more mid sized "skate brand" esthetic 
-Busenitz both the shoe and the man

K

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:42:22 PM »
Your opinion on this subjective matter is so right. 

ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »

hartpijn

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:50:35 PM »
New booze pro model
where is home?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »
New booze pro model

Those ollie guards are tight, y'all.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »
The difference is that the rainbow Adidas with the wings would be in Nike SB's line or it would be a Supra. 

For all the core enthusiasts, there isn't a single shoe company that is without guilt.  They've all either been big names, collaborated with someone outside of skateboarding or they've put out some extremely corny/ugly shit.

I don't blame Adidas as much as I blame Jeremy Scott. He's just horrible and surrounded by people who squeal and clap over every shitty design he churns out. Yuck.

ÜterZörker

• Rep: 4
  • Welcome to the wildwest, did you bring yer pistol?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 02:07:05 PM »
Reasons:
1. Gonz
2. Puig
3. The whole soccer aesthetic that seems to be extremely hip right now
4. Busenitz

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »
The difference is that the rainbow Adidas with the wings would be in Nike SB's line or it would be a Supra. 

For all the core enthusiasts, there isn't a single shoe company that is without guilt.  They've all either been big names, collaborated with someone outside of skateboarding or they've put out some extremely corny/ugly shit.

Agreed. No one is exempt from making a bad shoe and no one is core enough to produce something that just will sell just cause. I like Lakai like the rest you guys but they've done some questionable stuff as well with their colorways.

I also feel like there should be some consistency as well. If you hate Nike cause of it being a corporation, than you should hate Adidas as well.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
If you hate Nike cause of it being a corporation, than you should hate Adidas as well.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 02:31:11 PM »
Adidas is much more low key in their involvement and have put together a smaller team but who command respect Tx, Silas, Busenitz, Suciu and Gonz. Whereas Nike has a massive team, but has focused on alot on their contests guys like P-Rod and Malto. Both have amazing teams and make good products, but Adidas has definitely put together a team which would be more popular with the older slap crowd. Nike's team is so big it legitimately looks like they are trying to take over skateboarding, they have to have over 20 riders fully on at the moment.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 02:38:27 PM »
Expand Quote
If you hate Nike cause of it being a corporation, than you should hate EVERYTHING.
[close]

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
Adidas is much more low key in their involvement and have put together a smaller team but who command respect Tx, Silas, Busenitz, Suciu and Gonz. Whereas Nike has a massive team, but has focused on alot on their contests guys like P-Rod and Malto. Both have amazing teams and make good products, but Adidas has definitely put together a team which would be more popular with the older slap crowd. Nike's team is so big it legitimately looks like they are trying to take over skateboarding, they have to have over 20 riders fully on at the moment.

when nike sb first started people hated them just because they were corporate even when they had a small team full of respected skaters like gino and BA and the only "big time" skater was p-rod (who wasn't even big time at that point) and their shoe colorways were more subtle.

seems weird when people like adidas now for being the company that nike sb was in the early 2000's that they still hated.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 03:00:27 PM »
Aside from liking their shoes better than Nike's, one of the reasons I would rather support them than Nike is they still sponsored and supported skaters before this incarnation.  Gonz has been on for 15 years, right?  And they used to sponsor Lance Mountain, Matt Beach (a bunch of people on The Firm actually), Quim Cardona, and at least flowed Richard Angelides and others.  Unlike Nike between their failed ventures, Adidas didn't just drop all of their riders until they could think of a better marketing strategy.

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »

I agree. Adidas is not as aggressive in their marketing as nike is. One could say that Adidas has more credibility than nike sb.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141

EasyOnTheWaxBro

• Rep: -6
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYYpcCDSMz0
how old is that commercial..Is that like from the bam era of nike?

dgus138

• Rep: 7
    • Plains Hardware avatar image
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
I'm definitely a fan of Adidas but I've noticed lately in Canada at least, they're pushing the skate side into their mainstream distribution. Saw giant "skate" ads in the front of Foot Locker and Champs stores just this weekend as well as Busenitz' being sold at Sport Chek. Have a look at foot locker canada's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/footlockercanada.

Aidan Clarke

• Rep: -122
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »
Aside from liking their shoes better than Nike's, one of the reasons I would rather support them than Nike is they still sponsored and supported skaters before this incarnation.� Gonz has been on for 15 years, right?� And they used to sponsor Lance Mountain, Matt Beach (a bunch of people on The Firm actually), Quim Cardona, and at least flowed Richard Angelides and others.� Unlike Nike between their failed ventures, Adidas didn't just drop all of their riders until they could think of a better marketing strategy.

Richard bought his superstars in between. Anyone remember how ugly the first gonz shoe was? It was barely skatable. Adidas didn't keep sending people shoes once their program failed. Use your brain on that one, why send shoes that cost money to people that aren't pushing an aspect of their business? But that's not an inference, they stopped sending shoes when their skateboard program folded.

You're right. Adidas used to sponsor lance. Guess who sponsors him now?

And to the doofus that said Nike sb makes Jordan rip offs, which models did they do that with? I've had every Nike sb shoe and they never did that, unless you mispoke bc you don't know what Jordan shoes look like.

To the loser that said adidas is downplayed in comparison to Nike, that means that they aren't putting as much money into skateboarding. The reason Nike is everywhere is because they throw money at contests, pros, park development, etc. To think that adidas is cooler bc they aren't everywhere, is to say that a company is cooler when it doesn't put as much money into skateboarding.

So the consensus is that adidas has smaller , and dare I say more 'core' feel to it because they have riders you don't see in as many contests? Remember, Nike started their original team with mulder, reese, supa and then gino, none of which are media whore contest weirdos. Nike has contest exposure guys now because they had a 6-7 year head start to grow in skateboarding and get the money to put behind it. If adidas turns Nike numbers and is around for another 6 years then you can be Damn sure they'll be offering lucrative deals to the p rods and maltos of skating that will be competitive in salary / royalties.
#crackkka

BBM: 79DEA941, fuck with me sheffledge

Irrelevant

• Rep: 5
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
Run D.M.C. And Korn vs. Jordan

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
The few pairs of adidas I bought never really fit my foot very well and the sidewalls of the soles felt super firm, granted this is when they first came out with the campus vulc. I picked them up since they use the same herringbone grip as nike and figured its as was worth a shot. Not my thing, I like adidas the company, but compared to nikes they just don't win (I skate the blazers and ozars).
As for cooler? Sure fuck it, I guess.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Aidan Clarke

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
And to the OP, Nike was making soccer skate shoes before adidas came back to skateboarding. Remember the fc and the abington?

They don't just make boat shoes too, they have over a dozen shoes in their line up and only one is a boat shoe.

I swear you posters are dumb as shit sometimes...
#crackkka

Aidan Clarke

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
Quote from: Irrelevant  link=topic=77638.msg2130507#msg2130507 date=1398206953
Run D.M.C. And Korn vs. Jordan

Every drug dealer and flow trash vs a dude that was molested by his dad and plays the bag pipes that believes in the illuminati, and some old guy that hasn't made good new music for decades.
#crackkka

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
Own goal by Aidan Clarke, and the Nike fans are not happy

Aidan Clarke

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »
Own goal by Aidan Clarke, and the Nike fans are not happy

Half time show by the core shoe company cheerleaders.
#crackkka

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
Nike is the rich kid buying friendship of skateboarding.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 04:55:02 PM »
Adidas webclips are cooler than anything Nike has done. Also from what I understand Nike is not very cooperative with skateshops and it often times ends up hurting their business (either because they're forced to buy every shitty colorway they release or none at all).

That and #skateeverydamnday is awful.

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
Expand Quote
If you hate Nike cause of it being a corporation, than you should hate Adidas as well.
[close]
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks