Author Topic: Why is Adidas Cooler than Nike  (Read 17326 times)

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Why is Adidas Cooler than Nike
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »
The video and webclips have more to do with Nike filmers/Jason Hernandez vs Juice Design/Dan Wolfe. Which is odd cause I like Nike Chronicles over vs Roll Forever.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »
how old is that commercial..Is that like from the bam era of nike?

Very old for some reason I wanna say around 94-96, can't recall exact years I remember them actually playing on TV

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 05:53:57 PM »
Michael Moore doesn't say European companies suck....

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »
Expand Quote
how old is that commercial..Is that like from the bam era of nike?
[close]

Very old for some reason I wanna say around 94-96, can't recall exact years I remember them actually playing on TV

most definitely not from 94-96, since i was around 96 and graduated on 96. it was a late 90s video and nike's first real attempt at getting into the skateboarding culture psyche. for the most part, i think it worked. nevertheless, i do know that paulo diaz and mark gonzales were getting adidas in 94 because they both hooked me up with shoes from time to time. mark was even getting shoes from adidas while he was on simple. i also remember that in 94 i had the guy mariano's converse prototype, before axion got popping.

anyhow, although i will not explicitly hate on nike for its mainstream money, i will say that because of 80's hip hop culture and 80's street skateboarding culture i like the following non-skate shoe brands: adidas (aesthetically pleasing), converse (i rocked these before vision street wear copied the shoe, then i rocked vision street wear. ethan fowler brought these back way before cherry ever dropped), elese shoes (nautus rocked these and they were cheap) and op (ocean pacific) and gravis were cheap shoes in the late 80s early 90s (i don't know why dylan thinks he created a brand from the ground up, sure he helped introduced it to skateboarding, but it was long established already).

eventually when skateboarding brands came along i supported: vans, airwalks, vision street wear, etnies (and all soletechnology brands, sheep were my favorite), simples, axion (1st generation), duffs (got these on flow), dc (when it was branching out from droors clothing), and lakai (my current go to). as has been said before, all shoes carry some guilt. i don't believe "core" brands exist anymore and for some reason i have never worn a pair of nikes (even when i've been given them as gifts). i support new balance and adidas because i like the aesthetics and i exercise in them, i would never seriously skate in these shoes. my next pair of skate shoes will most-likely be eS.

i guess my question now is: what is cooler then adidas?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:05:37 PM by dougDfresh »

trannies and mannies

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
Nike is the rich kid buying friendship of skateboarding.

shark tits

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
that fat redhead who was on wkend buzz? [no offense fat redhead, you're prolly a sweetheart and i'm a jerk for thinking of you and you prolly skate mo/betta than lotsa posters]

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
adidas videos are the best.  and lucas.

but in the end id rather see the 3 stripes on my feet when i look down.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »
Nike is doing it better than most right now. Even though koston/ prod never had a nice shoe, some of their extensions are really good.

Look at Adidas shoes they look bad especially the lucas

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
i like the way adidas look more but i wish that campus mids were as durable as blazers

Ron B

• Rep: 9
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »
apples & oranges

Mr. Lono

• Rep: 22
  • Fl NC CO
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2014, 12:36:43 AM »
Emuricuh
Charlie don't skate

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 01:18:45 AM »
Yeah but nike wasn't founded by nazis.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

dillanharp

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 01:26:19 AM »
Because Richard Angelides' part in Genesis had a bigger impact on me than Lavar skating some AF1's and Karl yelling "oh! oh!."

Actually they were both pretty big in my life. Either way, I had superstars in the 90s and never Nikes. Every time I walk passed a footlocker it's a struggle not to pick up a pair. That's why.

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 02:07:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
that fat redhead who was on wkend buzz? [no offense fat redhead, you're prolly a sweetheart and i'm a jerk for thinking of you and you prolly skate mo/betta than lotsa posters]

Very good comparison.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 06:02:59 AM »
Nike is doing it better than most right now. Even though koston/ prod never had a nice shoe, some of their extensions are really good.

Look at Adidas shoes they look bad especially the lucas
Just a lamer version of these, I think the Silas shoe is influenced by this one too, they skate smazing btw

As for cooler than adidas, no one really but the closest are Kappa and Lotto in the mid to not that late 90's, but they have nothing to do with skateboarding
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:17:56 AM by perverted super otaku! »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Even if he just started skating this morning he'd definitely put my ass to shame.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
Adidas webclips are cooler than anything Nike has done. Also from what I understand Nike is not very cooperative with skateshops and it often times ends up hurting their business (either because they're forced to buy every shitty colorway they release or none at all).

That and #skateeverydamnday is awful.

I fully agree with this. 

I used to wear Adidas before I ever skated and after tons of regrettable skate shoe choices in between, I was happy when they fully entered the skate scene.  Just look at these shoes, they're fucking beautiful.

Leyzee Emcea

• Rep: -8
  • Achilles Tendonion Rings Jr
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Adidas is much more low key in their involvement and have put together a smaller team but who command respect Tx, Silas, Busenitz, Suciu and Gonz. Whereas Nike has a massive team, but has focused on alot on their contests guys like P-Rod and Malto. Both have amazing teams and make good products, but Adidas has definitely put together a team which would be more popular with the older slap crowd. Nike's team is so big it legitimately looks like they are trying to take over skateboarding, they have to have over 20 riders fully on at the moment.
[close]

I agree. Adidas is not as aggressive in their marketing as nike is. One could say that Adidas has more credibility than nike sb.

imo Adidas'll always be related to classics (music/sports/lifestyles/cultures/skateboarding etc.) since it was created somewhere in Germany a long time ago. Nike seems not to really care much about anything but popular image & whealth.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »
I fucking love the Busenitz 1. I just wish it had elastic bands on the tongue so it doesn't constantly shift to the side. The shoes is great either way but when the tongue is dead center its super comfortable.

youngold

• Rep: -4
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »
nike always try to copie whetever adidas do.
that i remember adidas is been in skateboarding over 18 years
way better shoes.
better team.

but lakai is the best shoe company in skateboarding