Author Topic: All over for Alien?  (Read 93525 times)

ben shraider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
Re: All over for Alien?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2014, 02:13:13 AM »
If this is for real, then I'd assume DNA was going under no matter what and all the dudes who could bail early did so. Although losing two of the biggest names in skateboarding like Grant and Dylan, at once is pretty gnarly, but there's no way it could have hurt the sales so drastically. Does Dyrdek still own this?

TheRealDeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2014, 02:22:03 AM »
TMKF just confirmed it's true.  No other information though. 

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 02:30:04 AM »
All good things come to an end.

tom

• Rep: -10
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2014, 03:45:23 AM »
this is really depressing.

Piri-piri

• Rep: 5
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 03:49:36 AM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:59:21 AM by Randozzi »

Leaky McBurnside

• Rep: 10
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 03:57:24 AM »
its a wrap. the financing at PAC VEC (company Dyrdek partnered with) ran dry in January.
No last paycheck for the dudes that got laid off yesterday.
Castrucci may be getting Habitat back.

kools

• Rep: -45
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 04:04:05 AM »
skateboarding's going to miss alien workshop 

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2014, 04:05:12 AM »
When it's official, I want SLAP to have an AWS-appreciation-thread with at least 20 pages.
From graphics, riders, parts etc.

Or why don`t we make this thread to an appreciation thread already.

I'll start.
This is from when I still had high hopes for AWS:

http://my.tv.sohu.com/us/49163132/17216188.shtml

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2014, 04:23:42 AM »
NOOO COME ON!

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2014, 04:38:01 AM »
Completely bummed. Habitat had such a great year and I felt like were as strong as they've ever been. The team is so tight.

TheRealDeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 04:55:10 AM »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 05:40:01 AM »
Wow. I'm pretty sad about this. Not the news I wanted to start my day off to. It's like waking up and finding out that pimp c died all over again.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 05:56:55 AM »
Alien didn't get sold four times because it was doing well. I'm sure that Dill & AVE leaving was a symptom of what ultimately killed the brand, rather than the  actual cause of death.

RIP

shark tits

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 06:10:41 AM »
out of business? that's ridiculousness.

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2014, 06:31:08 AM »
Strikes me as really weird if true, surely there is value in the brand, why would you just destroy it instead of selling it for something at least. File for bankruptcy protection while you clear debts and re-organise the company, stakeholders all take a haircut but at least they would get something. Sounds like there must have been some really weird shit happening behind the scenes, I mean they went from basically one of the most stacked teams a year or two ago to gone today. How do you not see if coming and cut some guys if that is what is required to prevent it.

Not to death ride anyone but who saw DNA going before Blackbox, between Alien & Habitat vs Zero & Mystery, plus Dyrdek seems like he would be making and have made a lot of coin elsewhere so its not like he needed it to make money to eat and could have carried it to some extent. ?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:32:56 AM by andocom »

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2014, 06:37:39 AM »
Strikes me as really weird if true, surely there is value in the brand, why would you just destroy it instead of selling it for something at least. File for bankruptcy protection while you clear debts and re-organise the company, stakeholders all take a haircut but at least they would get something. Sounds like there must have been some really weird shit happening behind the scenes, I mean they went from basically one of the most stacked teams a year or two ago to gone today. How do you not see if coming and cut some guys if that is what is required to prevent it.

Not to death ride anyone but who saw DNA going before Blackbox, between Alien & Habitat vs Zero & Mystery, plus Dyrdek seems like he would be making and have made a lot of coin elsewhere so its not like he needed it to make money to eat and could have carried it to some extent. ?

Was thinking the exact same thing. I can't wrap my head around just how poor and foolish of business decisions that were made repeatedly, time and again, to end up in this place. Just doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons. To borrow a belabored and overused phrase from the banking industry fiasco - DNA literally seemed too big to fail.

There has to be some level of equity in the brand (name) alone. Seems very odd on so many levels. I am hoping Joe Castrucci has the means (and will, for that matter) to pull Habitat from this wreckage and come out on the other side better for it.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2014, 06:40:46 AM »
Wow. I'm pretty sad about this. Not the news I wanted to start my day off to. It's like waking up and finding out that pimp c died all over again.

This. huge bummer hopefully Castrucci gets Habitat back...fuck...

micky682

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »
DVS was able to come back from bankruptcy, can't Alien do something similar if the reason its going down is money? Bring back Photosynthesis Alien Workshop.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2014, 08:05:23 AM »
Every "business" Rob gets his hands on goes bankrupt. Can we stop pretending he's some sort of brilliant businessmanentrepreneur now? He'll probably end up putting fucking Mtv out of business with his magic touch.

As far as AWS/dna memorial goes:
Lennie Kirk - Alien Workshop Time Code
Fred Gall - Alien Workshop Time Code
Josh Kalis - Alien Workshop Time Code
Bo Turner - Alien Workshop Time Code
Brian Wenning - Alien Workshop Photosynthesis - Habitat Section
Anthony Van Engelen Photosynthesis
(even though he's a traitor)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Josh Kalis - Kalis in Mono (Alien Workshop)

The lack of Dill footy in my tribute is because he hasn't put out anything worth watching that wasn't filled with pretension and distracting bullshit that had no meaning or real aesthetic since he was on 101. Fuck that Hipster loser. Every time I see the part in the supreme video of him bitching about "white people with dreads," all I can think is "I'd rather hang out with a million white people in dreads than a fairfax/supreme 5 panel hat trend hopping loser like Dill." - Seriously- Who sounds like more fun to hang out with Matt Rodriguez or Jason Dill? Yeah, exactly. Fuck Dill. Even if people say things were probably going bad when he left- theres no way leaving and stealing half the fucking team was good for them. I really fucking hope fucking awesome goes under now.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »

sad if true.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
I was 14 last time I bought an alien product, im now 29. I can fully understand why they went under, you never see anyone with a board or even Shirt. Rip to an iconic company but we shouldn't be acting so shocked.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2014, 08:17:33 AM »

dillanharp

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
I loooove AWS. Since my first board in 94 til now. I'm sorry, their art direction/image over the last few years has been so detached from what it used to be. Andy Andy Warhol isn't selling skateboards. I can't put it all in rob. When older guys don't want anything associated with a now MTV clown dyrdek and kids not wanting some art board, you have nobody buying boards.

RollingThunder

• Rep: 24
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2014, 08:26:47 AM »
One of my first boards was that missing link AWS deck. I haven't bought anything from them since besides their video. Sad to see an iconic company go away. Lennie Kirk's time code part got me hyped to skate more times than I can count.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2014, 08:29:32 AM »
What a shitty way to start the day, well thanks for the good times AWS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdY9BjFEgAg
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
So habitat has to go with them? thats not even right , you can't fuck castrucci like that dudes brand is still pretty solid, hopefully a good distribution co helps em out. I'm off to go buy the all the $7 alien shirts the local no fear shop randomly had. That sentence probably says more about this situation than I realize.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Exposure

• Rep: -269
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2014, 08:58:42 AM »
Horrible, horrible news. If it's in fact true that both AWS and habitat are out, that means the chosen one named Suciu is up for grabs...
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2014, 09:06:24 AM »
wow, actually feel a little sick about this
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

CumOnYourFace

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »
its not like he needed it to make money to eat and could have carried it to some extent. ?
I remember Kalis (or possibly someone else) mentioned that Dyrdek poured money into it, despite the lack of profit. I saw AWS clothes at Macy's, shortly after all that Street League shit came out.

The lack of Dill footy in my tribute is because he hasn't put out anything worth watching that wasn't filled with pretension and distracting bullshit that had no meaning or real aesthetic since he was on 101.
That describes the editing of AWS videos. Also, Dill's Photosynthesis and Mosaic parts are awesome.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
I really feel like someone will pick it up and keep Alien afloat. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Berra tried to do that. I just doubt we've seen the last of Alien.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!