Author Topic: Air to disaster?  (Read 10882 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Air to disaster?
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »
How does that shit work?

I mean, when I do a FS or fakie disaster i need to step on my nose to lift up my back wheels over the coping like I would on a fakie rock (unless you do it on coping that doesn't stick up at all where you ride over it but that looks like shit). How does the air to disaster bang/then in work? It's almost like an air to hang up when Grant or Raney does it.

Maybe I need a lapper...

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Re: Air to disaster?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:46:49 PM »
they have magic powers dude

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »
How does that shit work?

I mean, when I do a FS or fakie disaster i need to step on my nose to lift up my back wheels over the coping like I would on a fakie rock (unless you do it on coping that doesn't stick up at all where you ride over it but that looks like shit). How does the air to disaster bang/then in work? It's almost like an air to hang up when Grant or Raney does it.

Maybe I need a lapper...

Homestly, the only way i know how to do disasters is to air out, and smash down. I dont know how people do em using the " scooping" method, it seems harder, and looks ugly. If you wanna air into em, go pretty much straight up, wind your arms up like your gonna do a 180, and spot where your gonna land on the coping, you know the rest....
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 11:16:02 PM »
Tail grab.....

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:52:12 AM »
Expand Quote
How does that shit work?

Maybe I need a lapper...
[close]

Homestly, the only way i know how to do disasters is to air out, and smash down. I dont know how people do em using the " scooping" method, it seems harder, and looks ugly. If you wanna air into em, go pretty much straight up, wind your arms up like your gonna do a 180, and spot where your gonna land on the coping, you know the rest....

Maybe I should rephrase what I said: I don't understand how to get out of disasters without putting leverage on the nose. I've seen some vert guys do it where it looks like they are just bouncing off the coping, front foot well behind the bolts.

Yeah, that nose kickturn into D looks awful.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 08:11:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How does that shit work?

Maybe I need a lapper...
[close]

[close]

Maybe I should rephrase what I said: I don't understand how to get out of disasters without putting leverage on the nose. I've seen some vert guys do it where it looks like they are just bouncing off the coping, front foot well behind the bolts.

Yeah, that nose kickturn into D looks awful.

I see what your saying. The main reason you see vert guys just kinda " bounce" off the coping, is the way vert ramps are designed, compared to mini ramps, more vert on a vert ramp, therefore a longer wall to ride back in on. But if you want you want to come out of disasters like that, you just have to make it one, solid motion. As soon as you slam down, pop back in. The reason you feel you have to use the nose to come back in, is because you stall for a bit when you land on the coping. Try looking for the back disaster trick tip with kyle berard.

How-To Skateboarding: Backside Disaster with Kyle Berard

Hope this helps.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

shitpoop

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 12:26:44 PM »
yea, with fs disasters try to make it one smooth motion. try not to stall them out.

when i stall them out, i have to put levereage. however, i find if i land with less of my tail (the part going over the coping), it naturally goes into one smooth motion, similier to kyle berad

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:03:50 PM »
Find a ramp where the coping doesn't stick up much....the move your front foot more and more back....you'll naturally not use your nose as much and Ollie higher......it's just confidence and smashing it down harder and harder....

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 10:59:06 AM »
Thing is disasters were invented before boards had noses to speak of so the push and bounce is better than the rock in.

JAesop

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 11:09:53 AM »
If you are skating vert or bigger than a mini ramp and you are re entering from an air or hangup your weight and momentum aren't really over the ramp deck or coping anyway. It's all in the transition so the back leg is pretty much weightless and the board slap is kind of an afterthought. Mike Frazier has that shit locked. Watch at about 1:00

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJdCkBK_BQ
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:11:49 AM by JAesop »

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »
this shit still amazes me - the way dudes like Grant and Raven just casually disaster and go in from a huge air.  apparently it's easy for them, but it still seems like it would be easy to hang up once in a while, which would be pretty hideous coming in from a 6-8 ft air
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
That Mike Frazier clip was sick! I forgot he was even in that video (although, strangely enough I remember him skatIng to that song). I always thought he was at his prime at an awkward time for vert. Hope he managed to get some x-game money.

I tried some of these today on a smaller QP and although I didn't do any the way I wanted I felt like the tips you guys gave were on the money. I was able to muscle a few back in without much nose but I have a feeling they didn't look great. Maybe on mellow stuff doing a little "teeter toter" clean re-entry looks better anyway? Anyhow, I'll keep working on them and thanks for the tips.

JSoy: were you the "Lounge" by any chance?
(My sig is now missing a "D")

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »
What's 'the lounge'?

Like someone said....don't get right on top of the deck.....you can almost Ollie up into it and your weight stays down low....when you smash... You'll pretty much bounce in....

If you have a miniramp...practice the back wheel coping bonk then smash in....it's a great trick....

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »
Hot trick, but really the lien to tails really fuck with me more.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 09:33:06 AM »
What's 'the lounge'?

Like someone said....don't get right on top of the deck.....you can almost Ollie up into it and your weight stays down low....when you smash... You'll pretty much bounce in....

If you have a miniramp...practice the back wheel coping bonk then smash in....it's a great trick....

Shit. I meant on the (GR) lounge. It was another forum. Never mind if not.

I like the coping wheel bonk. It's one of those simple things that looks great if you do it authoritatively.

Lien to tails come and go for me. I've never done them great. It almost feels like different tricks depending on how vert the ramp is. Some ramps just launch you perfectly into one, on others it's more like an ollie.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »
Yes....that is me wille.....

I wish I could do lein to tails....I have issues grabbing now....and for me going in D makes sense but smacking my tail in is sketchy....On my list to at some point do....

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 11:39:41 PM »
That Mike Frazier clip was sick! I forgot he was even in that video (although, strangely enough I remember him skatIng to that song). I always thought he was at his prime at an awkward time for vert. Hope he managed to get some x-game money.

Watching mike frazier skate in person is one of the most amazing things in the world. When i worked at vans skatepark in orlando, he would always come skate the vert ramp after the park closed. Also one of the nicest guys you could ever talk to.