Author Topic: [Advice?] Nollie-cab and switch frontside 360's  (Read 11628 times)

Schismatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
[Advice?] Nollie-cab and switch frontside 360's
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
These are 2 tricks that I just can't seem to get figured out. I've been doing switch frontside 180s pretty much since boards have had a nose to pop off of when riding backwards. Nollie frontside 180s have been my go-to flatground turnaround trick for a long time so that pop and initial turn motion is super familiar and comfortable, and I can do regular full cabs pretty decent so I should have the foundations of both tricks.

In both cases I can do them in my head and think that for the most part I know about what the right foot position should be for both, but it seems that no matter how many times I try I just can't get the board to stay on my feet while I spin.

I rarely ask people about how to do tricks but these are 2 of my favorite things to see other people do well and I'm just at my wits end trying to get them. I even resorted to watching trick tips and how-to's on YouTube, to no avail, so If anyone else has struggled with either or both of these tricks and had some epiphany that helped them put it together, please share.

Thanks!

shark tits

Re: [Advice?] Nollie-cab and switch frontside 360's
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:14:33 AM »
sw 360 i think would be easier off a drop. nollie cabs, i hate that shit, all the time a letter in SKATE but basically do a nollie 180 and pivot off a fakie manual. the more you do them you'll prolly pivot less.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 07:51:06 AM »
Thanks for the response. I don't know about learning switch front 360s off of even a small drop, just the thought makes my old knees hurt. That got me thinking though- perhaps a mellow bump or from flat onto a very slight incline. Thinking about it kinda makes me miss the abundance and variety of curb cuts in Southern California.

As far as pivoting nollie cabs... I hate when I land with too much weight on my nose and end up pivoting regular cabs, I usually streverting te last 45-55 degrees of the rotation but it feels good sliding all four wheels. On the other hand, you have a valid point and it's probably a good way to get used to the general feel and a stepping stone toward proper nollie cabs. I wouldn't count it though; it's like cheating, reminiscent of the "helipops" (backside 180 nollie, pivot the last 180 degrees) I used to do in the early 90's.

Anyway, thanks again. This was helpful. I gotta learn this shit before my body is too old to learn new shit.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »
This thread made me think about how I try to never pivot my tricks. Not just for aesthetic reasons either. I've always been really heavy and if I pivot my tricks I have a propensity for snapping decks. Shit sux.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
Both are a matter of the body leading in my opinion. For the nollie 360 Your body should be like 45 degrees ahead of your board from before you start the spin until it's almost over, and your head should be pointed that way as well. That's always been the trick to them for me. If you look at a sequence of Reynolds doing any sort of cab his trunk is all twisted up in the frame before he pops. The pivot thing is also correct in my experience and is how I learned both of these tricks. I started doing a 180 and pivoting around, and eventually with enough practice was able to pop them all or almost all the way around.

Durndle

• Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
those two tricks for me are completely different. if you get comfortable doing cabs switch front three is essentially the same idea. it's all about wind up and commitment. even on flat you've got to put all your energy into it to turn the last little bit. foot placement is really important for me too. my front foot is high up on the board covering the bolts in a heel flip position. sort of hanging over a bit and my back foot is on the other side of the pocket. I think having pressure on opposite sides of the board helps it stick to your feet better. before you pop you want your shoulders facing backwards for the windup. I know trick tips are regular and this probably won't help but watch koston do it on flat. it makes sense. nollie cabs are just hard. hope this helps

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
For nollie 360's, I've found that little tweaks to my back foot placement going into the spin make a huge difference between rotating all the way in the air or having to pivot through the landing. Mess around with it a bit until you find your sweet spot.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
nollie cabs are pretty much 80% in the shoulders, at least for me. its funny, regular cabs are completely different in my case.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »
For sw front 3, if you're regular: throw your left shoulder towards your right hip

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »
nollie: whip your shoulder and pop. Theyre easier than fakie.

Loyal Pawn

• Rep: 7
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 07:26:28 AM »
I just read 9 responses and not one person caught it.There is no such thing as a nollie cab! It's either a nollie fs 360 or a nollie bs 360. Cab is fakie backslide 360.

shitpoop

• Rep: -5
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 05:21:58 PM »
dnt worry i caught it.........

thats why i never clicked on the thread in the first place  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I just read 9 responses and not one person caught it.There is no such thing as a nollie cab! It's either a nollie fs 360 or a nollie bs 360. Cab is fakie backslide 360.
Everyone knows that jackass, it's just easier to say nollie cab than nollie fs 360.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 01:41:13 AM »
with swtch front 3's i find if you think about getting my popping foot as high as possible and let my front foot/nose dip underneath,
but its pretty much all in the pre pop wind up

nollie cabs elude me

Rein

• Rep: -21
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
It's all in the shoulders. Wind them up a bit and pop.