Author Topic: another broken ankle thread  (Read 4235 times)

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
another broken ankle thread
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
i broke my ankle on go skate day. i'm under the impression that i'm not going to need surgery, but i still have the next six weeks to sit around and sulk in the fact that i can't do anything until then and i'm now months away from skating again. what i'm asking now is if there is anything special i can do in the meantime to help my recovery time. i'm not going to be drinking or smoking cigarettes until well after i'm healed, and i don't smoke weed so that wont be a problem. i figure a healthy balanced diet and light upper body exercise will help mentally, and the diet will help with recovery time. is there anything else i can do now to help boost recovery time and ensure that i'm good to go in six weeks?
there's the obvious don't push myself too hard when i get the cast off. if it takes six weeks i probably wont be skating for at least three months. i'm going to need to exercise when it comes off. any recommendations that have helped you out? physical therapy is a no brainer as well

anything you have will be strongly considered and appreciated. thanks slappals
fuck you bama

el chino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
Re: another broken ankle thread
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »
centrum, calcium and shut the fuck up about it.
a homie crashed with another dude in the bowl at our park in mexico, she sliced her eyebrow open, and broke her arm,  she was at the park yesterday with her dude and we all smoked a lot drank some beer and laughed about it.
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »

there's the obvious don't push myself too hard when i get the cast off. if it takes six weeks i probably wont be skating for at least three months. i'm going to need to exercise when it comes off. any recommendations that have helped you out? physical therapy is a no brainer as well

When I rolled my ankle real bad and some ligaments snapped, the physio therapist actually told me that skateboarding is a very good exercise for your foot/ankle/ligaments as long as you don't jump too much and don't roll your ankle. On the other hand, he was not very experienced and was a shift worker in a factory or something shortly beforehand. But I guess he had a point... Just loosen your trucks and push around, maybe skate a mini-ramp, ollie up curbs. Should have the same effect as this:
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

shitpoop

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
once pain is gone, slap on a brace and resume skating. it helps it heal and regain motion

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 03:37:19 AM »
once pain is gone, slap on a brace and resume skating. it helps it heal and regain motion

Nah. Not at all.

Watch this and do what he says:
http://youtu.be/YUtAeo5t0so

His video is not unique, it's just a popular one, but there are several like this that promote the same sets of exercises because they work. Of course you should see a doc/PT if you got the insurance, but if your like me and you don't, a solid Self-administered PT regimen will do a lot of good. I rolled two ankles in the space of four months, did this with each of them for several weeks following and have felt a noticinle difference since. Begin with simple rotations and balancing (LOTS of balancing) then move on to light resistance band work.  It's a frustrating process, but you'll be better for it long term and stronger when you return. Good luck.

nylin

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 04:01:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When I rolled my ankle real bad and some ligaments snapped, the physio therapist actually told me that skateboarding is a very good exercise for your foot/ankle/ligaments as long as you don't jump too much and don't roll your ankle. On the other hand, he was not very experienced and was a shift worker in a factory or something shortly beforehand. But I guess he had a point... Just loosen your trucks and push around, maybe skate a mini-ramp, ollie up curbs. Should have the same effect as this:

The balance board works wonders.

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 04:07:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The balance board works wonders.

A balance board is the nicest thing on earth.
I skate regular and aren't that good at switch skating. I.e. my right foot has not the same strenght as my left one. I rolled it a couple times during the past years. Then I got a balance board and both of my feet are better than ever before.
It also helps a lot preventing the sprained-ancle-season in the spring.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »
i just had surgery today. got some plates and screws put in. at first i was afraid i wouldn't be able to skate the same way again, but i feel more confident and determined to get back to the same level and keep progressing. i talked with a few friends that had similar surgeries and they had the same doubts and realizations. it's going to be a long six months, but i have all my camera gear that i neglect to take out for skating(i use it for work) and i'll finally have an excuse to start working on my first video in over ten years
fuck you bama