Author Topic: moving to Virginia (Hampton roads)  (Read 9720 times)

threeoneg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
moving to Virginia (Hampton roads)
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:18:04 AM »
So I'm moving to Chesapeake, VA next week. I'll be spending a lot of time in Virginia beach as well. I've got a car and I'm willing to drive around a good bit to check out spots.

I'm mostly interested in skating parks. What's in the area? Anything good? Is this a helmet state/city? I hope not. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

tony volume

• Rep: -13
Re: moving to Virginia (Hampton roads)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »
I was stationed in norfolk, and I moved back to the SF bay area last year.

Get in good with the locals at Cardinal Skateshop.

Northside Skatepark is the shit!!! it is the only park that does not require helmets.

^^^ williams farm park in VB

BraveUlysses

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 03:42:37 AM »
I was stationed in norfolk, and I moved back to the SF bay area last year.

Get in good with the locals at Cardinal Skateshop.

Northside Skatepark is the shit!!! it is the only park that does not require helmets.

^^^ williams farm park in VB
Northside is the shit but this isn't true at all. Nike, Lake Mead and Bennetts Creek are just some of the ones that you don't need a helmet for.

Nike
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=a9DaGsKwKIQ

Lake Mead

Bennetts is where I usually skate with a few of my friends. It's a small park but it's fun and it stays pretty empty. I'm the one in the video with the boneless.
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CaFq7vmikCM

This website is pretty helpful with skatepark info.
http://www.concretedisciples.com/index.php/skatepark-directory/search-results?order=distance&cat=216&query=all&jr_address=Chesapeake,%20VA,%20United%20States&jr_radius=50&jr_latitude=36.7682088&jr_longitude=-76.28749270000003

There's Olde Towne in Portsmouth which has some nice spots that you should be able to just come across while driving or cruising on a board. I'm not too good at giving directions but message me if you need to know anything about street spots or other stuff. Come to Bennetts if you're down for a session!

Mostly

• Rep: 24
    • MostlySkateboarding avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 04:05:12 AM »
I am literally in the middle of moving from Norfolk to Portland right now. Cardinal in VB is the best shop around. skate Supply in Chesapeake is rad too. The Chesapeake park is fun and doesn't require a helmet. Hampton Roads is a pretty tough place to street skate but there are spots if you are willing to drive. DC and Raleigh/Durham are about 3 hours away so lots of people go there to skate street. Best of luck to you. This summer is going to be a scorcher. Feel free to pm me if you need any more info.

tony volume

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:35:54 PM »
shit, i never knew about those parks!!!!

i miss cardinal. its up there with 510 and Metro (R.I.P.) one of the best shops ever.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »
Not skating related but the Outer Banks are pretty close and beautiful!
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

threeoneg

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
Thanks guys. Appreciate all the info. You'll start seeing me around the parks that don't require helmets by the end of the week.

threeoneg

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 05:27:56 AM »
I am literally in the middle of moving from Norfolk to Portland right now. Cardinal in VB is the best shop around. skate Supply in Chesapeake is rad too. The Chesapeake park is fun and doesn't require a helmet. Hampton Roads is a pretty tough place to street skate but there are spots if you are willing to drive. DC and Raleigh/Durham are about 3 hours away so lots of people go there to skate street. Best of luck to you. This summer is going to be a scorcher. Feel free to pm me if you need any more info.

Where is the park in Chesapeake that doesn't require a helmet? The one I'm seeing online says you need a helmet and a skatepark pass/sticker on the helmet.

Speaking of the helmet and 'skatepark' pass; what is this shit? In WA I've never been to a park that requires a helmet or any type of pass or waiver. How strictly is it enforced? Do they have people patrolling for it? What happens if you're caught without? This shit is ridiculous. I'm a grown ass man, I don't need the state telling me to wear a helmet and the park pass thing is just dumb/annoying. How do you guys put up with this shit? Sorry for the rant!

BraveUlysses

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 06:22:57 AM »
From what I've heard and based on footy I've seen of my friends skating the place the Chesapeake park doesn't enforce their helmet rule.

tony volume

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 04:51:52 AM »
Thanks guys. Appreciate all the info. You'll start seeing me around the parks that don't require helmets by the end of the week.

not me, i moved last year. you can find me around the SF Bay area. the New Soma park in SF is super good.

shred Northside for me!!

JW are you navy???