Author Topic: Set-up/Hardgoods pet peeves  (Read 2250 times)

JusticeAbberdash

Set-up/Hardgoods pet peeves
« on: August 14, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
What really boils your potatoes?

Some of mine:

-When my jessup starts melting around the edges in hot weather. End up with these slippery spots right where you need to push off from for slides  :-\

-Cross threaded axels..

-Those stupid ass ridges on new wheels.

-Cheap, skinny-headed hardware that sinks into your deck and fucks up your holes.

-Risers.

-Ace's soft metal.

-Shaped decks.

-Squeaks.

Thrash-trash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Set-up/Hardgoods pet peeves
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:23:30 PM »

Some of mine:

-When my jessup starts melting around the edges in hot weather. End up with these slippery spots right where you need to push off from for slides  :-\

-Cross threaded axels..

-Those stupid ass ridges on new wheels.

-Cheap, skinny-headed hardware that sinks into your deck and fucks up your holes.

-Risers.

-Ace's soft metal.

-Shaped decks.

-Squeaks.

I too hate how Jessup has been melting on the edges and its been naggin' me as well.  Also noticed how Vans vulc soles are separating during summer time in Florida. Think the heat and humidity messes with the glue.

I love how Aces grind, turn, and look, I just hate the pivot cups.

A few years ago Id def be hating on all the colored grip and how skate fashion looks now, but now it doesnt bother me.

Ive got a few friends I skate with that just want to film or get clips on IG all the time. Handing me your phone and expecting me to film you when I wanna be skating is a major pain in my ass.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
Shit is that what's happening with jessup? I like how not super grippy it is but I cannot ride around with shitty looking grip like I have been lately.

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
Shit is that what's happening with jessup? I like how not super grippy it is but I cannot ride around with shitty looking grip like I have been lately.

Sine Ive moved to Florida, yeah, thats whats been happening to me.  Sucks. Ive been blaming the weather here, cause Ive never had this issue in Kentucky or the surrounding states I skated year round in. But it def might be a glue formula change as well. Not sure.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:40:01 PM »
Op please rename this thread "Florida talk".

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »
Green top plies.
Colored wheels.
Wheels that stared yellowing

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
when your board gets dents in it that eventually lead to massive chips

when you countersink your bolts. best to always set your bolts up in an "x" pattern

stripped bolts from landing primo

shoes soles that don't last

when your shoes get so crusty and sweaty that parts of the shoe stab your feet, they feel like husks of sun-dried flesh

what's the deal with yellowing wheels?

even the steven

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »
Tensor trucks.

Pigeon

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »
boiling water and some salt

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
The Indy logo on Indy hardware

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 04:05:56 PM »
Biggest pet peeve for me is axle slip, which I've had in the past with Indy, Ace, and Thunders, and any kind of crease or air bubble in the grip.  If I'm in a rush gripping a board, air bubbles are always easier to deal with, but creases are the worst.

Things I don't like seeing on other peoples setups, which is ridiculous because I don't have to deal with, are Grizzly grip, Shake Junt grip, colored wheels, and colored trucks, but I'm a simpleton.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
Eat shit trucks with the kingpin over the hanger

Squeaky bushings and cups

Really shitty products, like everything crail has ever made

Political and sports team graphics

Warped boards for 50% off

Grizzly griptape and cutouts on top

^^^None of these things actually piss me off because I know my shit and have it sorted, but for a new skater there's some serious land mines to dodge.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 04:30:51 PM »
trucks you finally get to fine-tune so they feel perfect for 2 weeks straight, then as you're getting all your old tricks back, trying new ones and generally developing confidence something happens and for a reason you can't tell they suddenly start feeling way off again. inspecting bushings, mounting hardware, pivot cups or really any possible simple detail fails to result in any specific observation as to what you might possibly do or fix, you skate like shit and struggle to control your board for a couple of days then they start feeling right again for another 2 weeks (then one of your bushings blows out or something)

chips on the nose of a brand new deck, usually within the first two sessions. been getting those a lot - consistently breaks my heart

shitty bearings, wheels that get too small, waterlogged decks, getting splinters from holding your board after skating a rough spot

in addition to size and shape, brand and graphics have to be something i can relate too or i just won't be able to skate the board (unless stickers)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:33:11 PM by silhouette »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »
Any grip that isn't mob(you might as well sprinkle some sand and glue on your board of your not riding mob)

Loose hardware

Trucks with bad geometry cause it makes adjusting to the pop angle all stupid and you feel you can't skate

Bad bushings

Rock hard wheels that jitter like crazy
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »
Any grip that isn't mob(you might as well sprinkle some sand and glue on your board of your not riding mob)

Loose hardware

Trucks with bad geometry cause it makes adjusting to the pop angle all stupid and you feel you can't skate

Bad bushings

Fixed.  ;)

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
When you tighten your hardware and then it bores out the holes in your deck/trucks so it's loose again so you tighten it again and it speeds up  the prevalence of pressure cracks

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 10:23:04 PM »
Wheels that stared yellowing
I'm just the opposite- I really like the way they look when they turn yellow.  Before I started skating F4's I'd put a set of Spitfire's on my windowsill and let them turn almost brown before skating them.  I think it's cool how everyone has their own little preferences with skate gear
All you got is today, get out and skate.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 10:57:20 PM »
stripping out a hollow kingpin kinda sucks

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 06:37:22 AM »
I used to have so many lil OCDs/pet peeves about my setup but they've kinda died down and disappeared as the years have passed. I kinda just find myself caring less these days about minute little things that used to drive me insane.
 Heres a few I still have though:

- I dont mind tiny chips but I hate getting them in the first few days of having a new board. That's when I'm still in my "have to baby my skateboard" phase because it's brand new. After a week or two though I stop caring so if I get a tiny or medium sized chip after that it doesn't matter

- I hate when the griptape peels up or tears away at the edges. Little tears are whatever but a big one would drive me insane. It just makes the board look so gross to me.

-  No graphics or cutouts or anything in my grip, it has to be all black. If I have to skate a board with something on the grip it bothers me to no end.

That's pretty much it really. Nothing else really bothers me much these days.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
Expand Quote

Loose hardware

Bad bushings

[close]

Fixed.  ;)

;D

mgeorge402

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 07:13:33 AM »
Like most people, my biggest pet peeve is griptape. If anything gets on there that can't be rubbed away, it kills me. It hasn't happened in a long time, but I used to get wax spots on the tail / nose if I left my board in the trunk of my car in the summer. There's no coming back from that.

Coned wheels, bearings that have a significantly worse rotation than other wheels, squeaky trucks, blown out laces, any vertical scratches on the deck graphic, pressure cracks...just to name a few.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
Dirty fucking griptape

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
Another one: Rough, misshapen speed rings. Last year I bought some bronsons, and they came with the worst, shoddy rings I've ever seen. I was embarrassed for them, I'm sure they'd end up ruining your bearings if you actually used them.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
Plain black grip with no cutouts or anything: Can't stand it. It's always been kryptonite to me. I gotta cut it up, mix it with colored grip, or at least take a paint pen to it
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:56:33 AM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
Chips.

Hardware that is stripped looking but not enough to necessitate buying new hardware.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »
Boomaboard.......