Author Topic: The lightest and easiest to ignore helmet  (Read 16821 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: The lightest and easiest to ignore helmet
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:16 PM »
 Ive  seen people remove the foam piece of a protec helmet throw away the heavey plastic shell and reattach the strap to the foam - that will pass from any distance as a helmet.  Go further and drill a hundred holes in your new  foam helmet and then sticker it, that is prollly the lightiess you could do without getting into fabrication.  (those capex shits are sad)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:37:25 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 09:52:38 PM »
Those Kanoa's are way too much money. Just get a pro-tec or a s-one. How often are you really going to wear it.

This is the problem. I hear the rule is now mandatory. If you don't have a helmet, you can't skate the two new parks in HK.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »
Frip is you still haven't ordered a helmet you're just seeking attention. 20 posters have put up suggestions from light skate helmets to rock climbing and road bike helmets.

If this month has passed and you still can't find a helmet, focus your account and never come back

I would wear my old hockey helmet if I needed to, and you're making this a big deal like people actually care.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »
Frip is you still haven't ordered a helmet you're just seeking attention. 20 posters have put up suggestions from light skate helmets to rock climbing and road bike helmets.

If this month has passed and you still can't find a helmet, focus your account and never come back

I would wear my old hockey helmet if I needed to, and you're making this a big deal like people actually care.

I've been in Europe for the summer and the helmet rule only came into force in HK on the 28th of July, so I was waiting to see how it would pan out. It seems like helmets rule is strict, so I brought the thread back. Also, I suggested the rock climbing helmets.

Thanks for your input though. I really was craving just one more response from one of SLAP's special posters.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2014, 02:51:32 AM »
The most comfortable, which might mean easiest to ignore helmet, would be the Pro-Tec Classic Skate or Classic Bucky. They use the soft 2-stage foam which is uncertified (and technically much less safe), but fits and feels way better than the certified EPS helmets which has that hard foam that breaks on hard impact (instead of your skull). If you go with this one, get one of the ones with the Dri-Lex, which helps with the sweat. Triple-8 has the something similar with their Sweatsaver lining which would be worth checking out as well.

On the other hand, the lightest normal looking skate helmet is the new certified Pro-Tec Street Lite helmets. The shell and the EPS foam are bonded together so it like a single piece that wont separate. You have to see it in person to feel how light it is, its quite surprising, it feels like nothing in your hand.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 05:08:58 AM »
The most comfortable, which might mean easiest to ignore helmet, would be the Pro-Tec Classic Skate or Classic Bucky. They use the soft 2-stage foam which is uncertified (and technically much less safe), but fits and feels way better than the certified EPS helmets which has that hard foam that breaks on hard impact (instead of your skull). If you go with this one, get one of the ones with the Dri-Lex, which helps with the sweat. Triple-8 has the something similar with their Sweatsaver lining which would be worth checking out as well.

On the other hand, the lightest normal looking skate helmet is the new certified Pro-Tec Street Lite helmets. The shell and the EPS foam are bonded together so it like a single piece that wont separate. You have to see it in person to feel how light it is, its quite surprising, it feels like nothing in your hand.

Cheers for going into details. I looked over most of the pro-tec helmets, but found that there was very little about how much the different models actually weigh. Phrases like "30% lighter than the average helmet" (street lite) and "lightweight feel" (Ace) were all a bit vague without any numbers.

I ended up ordering that black diamond helmet. Not sure how strong it will be but I'll give it a whirl. My only fear is the park guards will say it doesn't meet their guidelines. They are pretty anal if they choose to be...

If everything goes tits up, I'll give that street lite a look.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 06:23:47 AM »
none of these working helmets are  skateable, you'll crash wearing them from all the swing weight.  All the vert guys wear hollow fake  helmets
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 07:43:02 PM »
*bumps* RIP Frip, fuck we miss you on here mate :'(

So ... for reasons that I don't really want to discuss too deeply on SLAP I've decided that I'm going to purchase a helmet (and yes, I love Mike V). Any SLAP heads out there have any recommendations? S1(lifer), Protec and Triple 8(possibly the Gotham?) are what I'm looking at at the moment. Tried on a classic protec the other day and it just felt way too bulky. Please let me know if there's anything you would actually recommend to a fellow pal.
Would like it to be light, not (too) goofy looking and certified if possible?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:05:33 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »
Come to think of it, I should probably look into a new helmet soon. I only wear it in winter when I skate indoor parks, but mine is straight trash and at least 15 years old. The foam has worn down and burns my forehead when I sweat.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:46 PM »
protec buckys or "non certified" are the way to go. light breathable and good enough for a few head hits.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 11:34:19 PM »
If any of you are interested in getting one similar to Gonz's one with the ears.....check kyacking....

I bought a full cut.....it's the best.....

Can't believe I didn't mention the ebbets hand cast metal helmets....$1999.99

R.I.P. frip.....

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:10 AM »
triple 8 sweatsaver linings get good reports from fellow old farts who I skate with

I'm a "fellow old fart" and I back this.  My favorite park requires helmets.  I went through 3 other helmets before getting a sweat saver.  It isn't the lightest, but it's comfortable (it does take getting used to, but any helmet will).   If you are going to be skating at this place a lot, do yourself a favor and get a sweatsaver.  The terry cloth liner soaks up the sweat so it isn't constantly running down your face (a problem I had with all the other helmets, plus over time all the sweat started to make the other helmet liners brittle.  I was constantly pressing the front pad to drain the sweat).  The liner on Triple 8's pop out easy so you can wash it.  It has outlasted the other helmets and it is way more comfortable.   Also, it saved me once.  I slipped out coming down a 6ft steep bank ramp and didn't land until I hit the pavement at the bottom.  The side of my head bounced off the pavement.  The park attendant thought it had killed me.  thanks to the helmet, it barely even rang my bell.  I didn't even have a headache.  I got up, and kept skating without issue.  If I hadn't had that helmet on I would've been getting coloring books for Christmas for the rest of my life!
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »
Hope this helps (caution: youtube skater):

HOW TO WEAR A HELMET AND NOT GIVE A F&*K
Why Don't Skaters Wear Helmets?

I don't wear a helmet, but I'm sure I'd go through some of the same issues. I know Mike V seemed to take a reputation hit when he started wearing one more often.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
Gotta be cool like Josh Katz haha
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

asakusa75

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
*bumps* RIP Frip, fuck we miss you on here mate :'(

So ... for reasons that I don't really want to discuss too deeply on SLAP I've decided that I'm going to purchase a helmet (and yes, I love Mike V). Any SLAP heads out there have any recommendations? S1(lifer), Protec and Triple 8(possibly the Gotham?) are what I'm looking at at the moment. Tried on a classic protec the other day and it just felt way too bulky. Please let me know if there's anything you would actually recommend to a fellow pal.
Would like it to be light, not (too) goofy looking and certified if possible?

Thank you for this, I had never seen it.
God James was funny...reading this I can hear him talking in my head. Such a dry bastard.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »
I've got a 1980s Pro Tech similar to the classic but if I was buying a new one I'd go for a lighter one like the Burnquist ones or a foam type like the S1 Lifer.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 06:41:04 PM »
It sounds so lame but if I get to the point where I have to wear a helmet......I'm gonna just start skating bowls...

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
It's not a bad idea to wear a helmet skating bowls - but there is so much other stuff you are going to fuck up skating tranny that you are probably better off on ledges.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 10:41:21 PM »
unknown> cheers for the reply, let me know what you go with

pointandclick> if I go protec it will either be a Bucky or a street lite

j.soy> so wait, did you actually buy one? full cut looks very retro bones brigade style

Elderly Gentleman> cheers for the honest reply! in the beginning I was looking into triple 8 but now I just don't know...what other helmets did you rock? good to hear it did its job and actually saved your noggin

franquietits> I've seen that dude and honestly ... I like his style. He's right in that it's probably going to be more than 50% internal battle about how dorky you look vs. what people actually think.

asakusa75> I could picture him walking into toysRus over here and buying a kids helmet. I especially liked his response to Tracer, so seething...

Willie> I haven't seen vov's helmet but that s1 really does get great reviews

j.soy> trust me mate, it's more out of necessity than anything; either I wear a helmet or I don't skate is basically what it comes down too for the meantime so I'm willing to look like a total dork in order to be able to roll

N.L.

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 10:50:51 PM »
I like the S one Lifers but I recently got  a TSG Dawn Flext Full Cut. Its a certified full cut but has more flexibility than most certified helmets because the EPS foam is in segments.

https://www.ridetsg.com/index.php?sfpc=TSG_Gear&cat1=1&sw2=1&search=79000

Its not light or discrete so might not suit everyone and I still don't wear helmets much... but being stoked on this helmet makes it easier to put on when I feel the need...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 11:21:56 PM »
Yah...I got the full cut and it looks dope.....but I never really wear it because I don't skate coping bowls much.....when we used to have an indoor they were mandatory and everyone got over it pretty quick.....

Elderly Gentleman

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2017, 08:10:47 AM »

Elderly Gentleman> cheers for the honest reply! in the beginning I was looking into triple 8 but now I just don't know...what other helmets did you rock? good to hear it did its job and actually saved your noggin

I know a couple of others that I had were the Protec Classic Skate and a Protec P2 (I think) Certified.   The Classic Skate was a good helmet.  It fit my head and didn't wobble around.  After getting used to wearing it, it was actually comfortable.  The only problem I had was wear and tear.  I'm old and a bit out of shape so I get sweaty pretty fast just doing simple board slides, ollies, manuals and pumping around the bowl doing grinds and rock and rolls.  Anyway, after wearing it 2 or 3 times a week and getting really sweaty (I would lean over the fence and press against the front of the helmet and sweat would pour out of the front foam pad against my forehead) the padding started to wear.  Let's face it, if you wear this thing a few times and get sweaty, it's going to start to reek.  About once every week or so I would pull the padding out of the helmet and wash them.  After doing that several times, the padding started to get brittle and the velcro wasn't holding it in place very well.  Also it was more uncomfortable to wear over time.

The Certified helmet just sucked.  It was super cheap so I got it as a replacement to the first one.  I was thinking, "Hey, it's certified, so it must be really good and have good padding."  NOPE.  It had the styrofoam looking filling molded into the inside of the shell with thin foam padding that's removable to wash.  It never quite felt comfortable.  Also, it was bulky as hell.  It wasn't really that heavy but the added foam made it stick out all the way around like a mushroom top.  I looked like a circumcised penis!  Wearing a helmet will never be "cool" but some models at least look halfway decent.  This isn't one of them.  I ended up taking the padding out of it and putting it in the old classic skate shell to get a little more life out of it.  It wasn't long before I was having the same issue with sweat running into my eyes and the padding getting brittle.

The triple 8 sweat saver solved all the issues.  It had the style and fit similar to the classic skate, but the terry cloth wrap on the padding soaked up the sweat better so it isn't constantly running down my face and into my eyes.  Also the velcro is better it seems so I haven't had any issues after dozens of washes.  I just pull the padding out, toss it in the washing machine, then put it back in and let it air dry.  It will take getting used to like any helmet but if you have to wear one, at least get one that fits and looks decent (at least as good as it can possibly look wearing a helmet).   
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »
I like the S one Lifers
so you actually own one? reviews of them look really good, does it really fit "deeply" on your head?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 09:14:21 PM »
I have a bern helmet for biking but it looks like a skate helmet.....so much better...it has the dial...

Thrash-trash

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 10:34:36 PM »
I just started rocking the Protec Full cut non-certified.  White and I took the stickers off.  It actually feels way better than a reg cut helmet.  It's firmer on your head, not tight, but it doesnt flop around.  I had a pretty gnarly noggin' slam in Feb, had crazy seizure and brain bleeding and bruises.  I just started rolling again last week and will be wearing this one for a while.  Its hot and humid as all hell in Florida, so thats one reason why I got a white one.  Wear one if you want.  I didnt feel much like a dork at the park, but a little weird at my curb spot, but fuck it.  Way better than what I went through in Feb and March. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »
I have a bern helmet for biking but it looks like a skate helmet.....so much better...it has the dial...
the dial? is that to adjust it? I think the triple 8 gothams have that too

Thrash-trash> woah that's gnarly mate, glad to hear you're back on the board though. Full cut aye? I'm away again next week on business so I'll see if I can find a skate shop to go and try one on. Yeah, I feel like at the skatepark no one is really going to give a shit but street skating is a different story. At 38 though I'm not really out there to impress anyone tho ;D

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2017, 11:18:17 PM »
Yah the dial tightens it.....

I think Gonz is coming out with a signature full cut.....

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2017, 10:04:11 AM »
This thread has me thinking about which helmet to get, I'm older too and had a pretty bad brain injury in April due to a fall on the back of my head. I have a basic Pro-Tec now, not the certified type. Maybe I'll try the sweatsaver when the Dr. clears me to skate again.

Whatever I get better work for me, I'll have to wear it whenever I am skating.

Thrash-trash

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2017, 12:51:04 PM »
This thread has me thinking about which helmet to get, I'm older too and had a pretty bad brain injury in April due to a fall on the back of my head. I have a basic Pro-Tec now, not the certified type. Maybe I'll try the sweatsaver when the Dr. clears me to skate again.

Im in the same boat.  My head split was in Feb.  I really wanted the Protec Full Cut certified, but I got hookup with the reg full cut.  Ive worn the reg off and on (mostly on vert or required parks) my whole life, Im 40+ now, and always hated the sloppy fit on them. Always too tight, or could feel that the one which "fit properly" jiggled around a bit.  After 3 session in with the full cut, in the Florida heat, I'll say that it fits and feels way better. Id still prefer the certified, but Im happy and way more confident with this one. 

From seeing a bunch of vert jocks wearing the S-One Certified, it looked like they have a bobble head and I really didnt like the over all shape of it.  From my research, they dont make a full cut.

Good luck with getting back, and dont rush it.  This was the first time Ive actually followed all the doctor's orders and Im not going to mess around with that again. 

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Im in the same boat.  My head split was in Feb.  I really wanted the Protec Full Cut certified, but I got hookup with the reg full cut.  Ive worn the reg off and on (mostly on vert or required parks) my whole life, Im 40+ now, and always hated the sloppy fit on them. Always too tight, or could feel that the one which "fit properly" jiggled around a bit.  After 3 session in with the full cut, in the Florida heat, I'll say that it fits and feels way better. Id still prefer the certified, but Im happy and way more confident with this one. 

From seeing a bunch of vert jocks wearing the S-One Certified, it looked like they have a bobble head and I really didnt like the over all shape of it.  From my research, they dont make a full cut.

Good luck with getting back, and dont rush it.  This was the first time Ive actually followed all the doctor's orders and Im not going to mess around with that again. 

Thanks for the heads up, I'm 45 and a huge Gonz fan so maybe I'll get that full cut. Can you smell and taste?