Author Topic: The lightest and easiest to ignore helmet  (Read 16868 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: The lightest and easiest to ignore helmet
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2017, 08:15:40 PM »
[/reply]
thanks for your in-depth reply mate, will definitely take the triple 8 into account. I'm actually looking at the Gotham this point too.

j....soy.....> yeah, gonz can pull them off quite well, but it's gonz; he looks great no matter what he does/ wears.

NJFly318> gnarly mate ... let me know what you end up buying

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2017, 08:28:14 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, I'm 45 and a huge Gonz fan so maybe I'll get that full cut. Can you smell and taste?

Im 45 too!  I never lost my smell or taste, but did have one hell of a headache for 6-8 weeks.  Also I suffered from a seizure about 3.5 weeks after the slam that sent me back into the hospital for 4 days. That was a rough one. Had a bit of trouble remember words or using proper vocabulary for a bit, and it def slowed down my thought process.  Didnt effect balance or other body sense though.  Broke my lead collarbone too, which really sucked with pain and sleeping. Im pretty much back to 100% now.  Had a few session on a mini, concrete bowl/park and slapped a few curbs. I'm wearing my hemet here on out, but not pulling any Andy Mac or Mike V shittalk to people who dont wear one.   

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2017, 07:54:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks for the heads up, I'm 45 and a huge Gonz fan so maybe I'll get that full cut. Can you smell and taste?
[close]

Im 45 too!  I never lost my smell or taste, but did have one hell of a headache for 6-8 weeks.  Also I suffered from a seizure about 3.5 weeks after the slam that sent me back into the hospital for 4 days. That was a rough one. Had a bit of trouble remember words or using proper vocabulary for a bit, and it def slowed down my thought process.  Didnt effect balance or other body sense though.  Broke my lead collarbone too, which really sucked with pain and sleeping. Im pretty much back to 100% now.  Had a few session on a mini, concrete bowl/park and slapped a few curbs. I'm wearing my hemet here on out, but not pulling any Andy Mac or Mike V shittalk to people who dont wear one.   

Wow it's strange how different these injuries can be! I lost smell/taste and my balance was shot for a few weeks (smell/taste are still gone). When it first happened I pretty much couldn't see and my ears were ringing for a few days. Only had one headache once after the fact, and it was such a strange feeling and so intense that I almost went to the ER at 3:00AM. Thankfully I haven't suffered any seizures as of now. I too will be wearing a helmet from now on and won't apologize for it or lecture anyone, if anyone asks about I'll be glad to share my story though and hopefully that will encourage others to accept it.

Thrash-trash

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »

Wow it's strange how different these injuries can be! I lost smell/taste and my balance was shot for a few weeks (smell/taste are still gone). When it first happened I pretty much couldn't see and my ears were ringing for a few days. Only had one headache once after the fact, and it was such a strange feeling and so intense that I almost went to the ER at 3:00AM. Thankfully I haven't suffered any seizures as of now. I too will be wearing a helmet from now on and won't apologize for it or lecture anyone, if anyone asks about I'll be glad to share my story though and hopefully that will encourage others to accept it.

Yeah, no shit.  Its been one hell of a ride I dont want to repeat. I cracked just above my right temple. Didnt even split the skin, so I didnt get them staples or a rad scar. My headaches were bad, and Ive never had problems with them before, unless I was hungover. I didnt get any painkillers either cause of my brain bleeding, but I prob wouldnt have taken them anyways. I self medicated with cannabis and I was happy with that.

Crazy bout the taste and smell. I had a sinus infection for like 3 months and lost it right before Thanksgiving.  I was so bummed I couldnt taste Turkeyday or Xmas food, beer, bourbon and weed had no smell or flavor. It slowly came back to where one day, I was having tacos and it was amazing on how good it was! 

My suggestion is to take your time and follow the Dr's orders. Im not super hyped to be taking anti-seizure meds twice a day, but Im doing it till she tells me not to. Im not supposed to drive till Sept (6 months after seizue is FL law), so I got laid off from work. Been locking myself in the art room and slinging paint until unemployment runs out. Wish I had Aflak short term "I'm fucked up" insurance, but I guess thats just another lesson learned. Prob my next purchase once I find a new job.  Good luck!

NJFly318

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »
Thrash-Trash, I sent you aPM

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2017, 01:21:12 PM »
Visited this thread because I'm moving back east to the home of helmet law parks this week,  after 20 years in Colorado.   Some grate lightweight ideas everyone.  Thank you.
I also shattered my orbital in 96. 2 plates,  screws,  all that,  and never even broke the skin either.  I still haven't regained my sense of smell,  but worse,  i lost a little over a year of my memory.  Rattled me real good.  I also ended up with a horrid nasal infection for 2-3 months.
My coworker (road bike fanatic) is trying to patent this idea for a normal ball cap,  with a sensor of some kind.  So right before impact,  these airbags will deploy and protect your head.  Be great if it can really work

Thrash-trash

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »
Quote from: Shifty Flip  link=topic=80087.msg2655453#msg2655453 date=1498508472
Visited this thread because I'm moving back east to the home of helmet law parks this week,  after 20 years in Colorado.   Some grate lightweight ideas everyone.  Thank you.
I also shattered my orbital in 96. 2 plates,  screws,  all that,  and never even broke the skin either.  I still haven't regained my sense of smell,  but worse,  i lost a little over a year of my memory.  Rattled me real good.  I also ended up with a horrid nasal infection for 2-3 months.
My coworker (road bike fanatic) is trying to patent this idea for a normal ball cap,  with a sensor of some kind.  So right before impact,  these airbags will deploy and protect your head.  Be great if it can really work

Holy shit balls Bro! I was thinking about that airbag thing the other day too. It was while I was watching Demolition Man and when Sparten crashes his car, it filled up with foam!  What a great idea.

So Like, you dont even care about good food or beer, or smelly pits or farts? I did meet a kid that didnt remember anything before the 9th grade from a bike accident he had at that age. Shit is crazy man...

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2017, 03:48:41 PM »
Quote from: Shifty Flip  link=topic=80087.msg2655453#msg2655453 date=1498508472
Expand Quote
[close]

Holy shit balls Bro! I was thinking about that airbag thing the other day too. It was while I was watching Demolition Man and when Sparten crashes his car, it filled up with foam!  What a great idea.

So Like, you dont even care about good food or beer, or smelly pits or farts? I did meet a kid that didnt remember anything before the 9th grade from a bike accident he had at that age. Shit is crazy man...

Foam actually sounds better than air bags.  Only thing i smell is good herbs.  Bad smells definitely don't phase me.  Taste in food is lack luster too.  Guess they are related.
The memory loss F'n ducks,  for real. I tried to go back to collage straight outta ICU.  Got dropped off,  only to realize i didn't know what classes i was talking. Went to ask for a new copy of my class schedule, only to find out the semester was over half way over.  Counselor looked at my Frankenstein looking face and sent me packing.  Said i couldn't return to classes if i couldn't remember any of the semester so far. 
Really messed up my judgement making add well.  Just do the stupidest things,  then look back and think why would anyone ever do that. 
Everything evened out after 7-8 years,  still never recovered that year before utter happened.  Only lasting effect is my sense of time.  I always think there is enough time to do anything i want.  My family knows the clinical term.  I guess they complain because I'm always late. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2017, 12:35:04 AM »
update: went with elderly gentleman's recommendation which was the triple eight sweat saver and I'm really stoked with it. Even in the middle of summer here you don't get sweet dripping down your face and the fit is nice and low and not too "eggy" on your head. I am now the Mike V. of SLAP ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2017, 01:16:12 AM »
I found a full cut for cheap online so I ordered it. Gonna wear it while I learn to ride bigger bowls and shit (moving to a new city that has some big boy parks). On street I only skate low impact banks and ledges/curbs, so I don't see myself ever wearing a helmet for that.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »
I'm in the same boat to the point of just avoiding coping bowls in lieu of curbs....where my body usually gets in the way before my head hits the ground.....

NJFly318

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »
I wound up with a Pro-Tec full cut certified, not the lightest helmet, but it feels secure.

My fall happened off of a 10" high curb at a park, right on the back of my head, really bad brain bleed - it was ugly. I am not preaching, just putting it out there.