Author Topic: 139 vs 149 - pro and cons  (Read 18351 times)

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: 139 vs 149 - pro and cons
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »
8.25 + 149 = you're fucking stupid if you dont
8.125 + 139 = that's where i am now ;D

If you really have the flip tricks on lock you wouldn't lose it

i haven't tried a 8.25 for the moment, i don't think i'd lose them, but it will require more effort to my old legs

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:32:46 PM by the snake »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 11:20:37 PM »
139s with a couple extra washers on the inside > 149s, just works for me i guess.

El_JayDude

• Rep: -6
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:19 PM »
Going to 149's was the best decision I made with my setup. ? I was tired of skating my 8.125's in the local wooden bowl or any bowls for that matter.I didn't want a 8.25 with 139's cause I felt like that defeated the purpose. ? At first I kept my 8.125 board with the 139's for anything else other than the bowl I was skating. I quickly realized the bigger wider board was way more to fun ride.

To be more technical, if you are riding 149's with a board smaller than an 8.25 than your weight transfer isn't getting out and over the axles and making it harder to turn. Rather than having a board that is just as wide if not wider than your trucks, you can turn them much easier cause your weight will be concentrated on the edge of the board, which in turn will be on or outside of the truck.

This is just me spit-balling at this point but I feel like with a wider board you have more leverage with your flip tricks. Say you have a 7.75 and you kickflip. Your flick is going to have to be more downward rather than outward, cause there is less surface for your foot to catch the board, making your board flip really fast. ? While if you have a bigger board, you can give a nice stylish flick out to the side,and that extra width of the board will help give you a "flick" rather than pushing down on it. I compare it to screwing around on just an old deck on carpet to having a full set up. This is just me though, and I'm curious if this makes sense to anybody else.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 02:46:59 AM »
139s with a couple extra washers on the inside > 149s, just works for me i guess.
good compromise

This is just me spit-balling at this point but I feel like with a wider board you have more leverage with your flip tricks. Say you have a 7.75 and you kickflip. Your flick is going to have to be more downward rather than outward, cause there is less surface for your foot to catch the board, making your board flip really fast. ? While if you have a bigger board, you can give a nice stylish flick out to the side,and that extra width of the board will help give you a "flick" rather than pushing down on it. I compare it to screwing around on just an old deck on carpet to having a full set up. This is just me though, and I'm curious if this makes sense to anybody else.
interesting, but Westgate on his 7.6 board ruins your argument...Emerica Introduces the Flick by Brandon Westgate
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:06:06 AM by the snake »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 03:55:24 AM »
This just me spit-balling at this point but I feel like with a wider board you have more leverage with your flip tricks. Say you have a 7.75 and you kickflip. Your flick is going to have to be more downward rather than outward, cause there is less surface for your foot to catch the board, making your board flip really fast. ? While if you have a bigger board, you can give a nice stylish flick out to the side,and that extra width of the board will help give you a "flick" rather than pushing down on it. I compare it to screwing around on just an old deck on carpet to having a full set up. This is just me though, and I'm curious if this makes sense to anybody else.
I would agree with this to a point, on a 7.9 to 8.2 I'd say I keep my foot in a regular kickflip position and flick out and a little down but then 8.25 to 8.375 I would have my foot further on my board almost like an ollie position and use more of the board to flick. It takes more effort but still works. I've riden a friends 8.5 and at this point I found that I had to put my foot further off and kick more downward so I'd say depending on your height and foot size there is a sweet spot. Another thing though is that the wider the board would usually add to wheelbase and that can fuck with me. Can't 360 flip a longer wheelbase for the life of me.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 04:14:18 AM »
i remember when i first moved up to 149s it felt so weird. it made the board feel like a tank and the turning felt weird at first, but i stuck with it (mainly cuz i didn't have a choice, I had just spent 40-50 bucks on them, I wasn't going to shell out another 40-50 just for some 139s when I already had some perfectly fine trucks right under me) and maybe after a week or two I got used to them, and now I cant imagine going back down, 149s just feel way too right.
It's all preference though. My buddy has been riding 139s with 8.5s for years, and he rips.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »
i'll add that a pair of indy costs 100$ in my country, that's why i'm so picky in my choice

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
i'll add that a pair of indy costs 100$ in my country, that's why i'm so picky in my choice
Which country?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 09:42:10 AM »
a small french island in the indian ocean where everything is expensive as fuck
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:20:55 AM by the snake »

KMAC

• Rep: -10
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »

this man knows^^ 2 inside each. i always wondered if doing it really made a difference haha

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
Expand Quote
This just me spit-balling at this point but I feel like with a wider board you have more leverage with your flip tricks. Say you have a 7.75 and you kickflip. Your flick is going to have to be more downward rather than outward, cause there is less surface for your foot to catch the board, making your board flip really fast. ? While if you have a bigger board, you can give a nice stylish flick out to the side,and that extra width of the board will help give you a "flick" rather than pushing down on it. I compare it to screwing around on just an old deck on carpet to having a full set up. This is just me though, and I'm curious if this makes sense to anybody else.
[close]
I would agree with this to a point, on a 7.9 to 8.2 I'd say I keep my foot in a regular kickflip position and flick out and a little down but then 8.25 to 8.375 I would have my foot further on my board almost like an ollie position and use more of the board to flick. It takes more effort but still works. I've riden a friends 8.5 and at this point I found that I had to put my foot further off and kick more downward so I'd say depending on your height and foot size there is a sweet spot. Another thing though is that the wider the board would usually add to wheelbase and that can fuck with me. Can't 360 flip a longer wheelbase for the life of me.

You get more leverage with a bigger board but it requires more force and speed to flip a wider board because you have moved weight away from the center rotational axis AND created a larger radius that a point (say the end of your axle) has to turn to complete a full circle.

Of course, some people have little trouble with the transition from one size to another but speaking for myself, I have a way easier time getting tech with a 7.75 than with an 8.5. At this point I rarely try to get tech so that isn't high on my board selection criteria.

TheGreyLodge

• Rep: 0
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
I ride 8.25s above Indy 139s routinely, but have given 149s a shot a time or two. For me, the 149s felt heavy and less responsive, as you have less weight distribution over the entire width of the truck. Moving up from an 8.125 to an 8.25 lost me feeble grinds though, as the board always flips over from the extra space (outside the axle) and the hangars seem narrow beneath a big board. That being said, I feel like it's easier to scoop tre's and shuvs because of the narrow-wide arrangement.

Blah, blah, blah. Ask a mate with the different setup to have a roll and see what you make of it.

Cheers.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »
david gravette's opinion on 149's from 2 years ago David Gravette Skateboard Setup Alli Sports

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 03:09:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
good compromise

Expand Quote
This is just me spit-balling at this point but I feel like with a wider board you have more leverage with your flip tricks. Say you have a 7.75 and you kickflip. Your flick is going to have to be more downward rather than outward, cause there is less surface for your foot to catch the board, making your board flip really fast. ? While if you have a bigger board, you can give a nice stylish flick out to the side,and that extra width of the board will help give you a "flick" rather than pushing down on it. I compare it to screwing around on just an old deck on carpet to having a full set up. This is just me though, and I'm curious if this makes sense to anybody else.
[close]
interesting, but Westgate on his 7.6 board ruins your argument...Emerica Introduces the Flick by Brandon Westgate
He also has like a 7.5 shoe size from what I've read.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
good compromise

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
He also has like a 7.5 shoe size from what I've read.
...and 7.6 ventures low Get Set Up | Brandon Westgate
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:36:21 PM by the snake »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2014, 06:57:30 AM »

139's titanium forged with extra speedrings may be the absolute answer...

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:13 AM »
just bought a set of raw 139's, no need to change what already works

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »
They're both good but obviously it's a personal preference. 149s and 8.25 is a great combo, a bit more surfy and solid, while a 139 with 8.18 is more responsive and easier to pop and flick. Ask to ride other peoples setups, that's the best way to test without spending a fortune on product you don't like. Theeve TIAX 5.5 is another option.

TheRealDeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2014, 01:12:18 AM »
149's are a lifestyle. ? For a year or so I was riding 8.4's with 149's ...then I wanted to feel young again and skate an 8" with 139's (which is still way bigger than what I was riding in 05-06, which was 7.75's with venture lows) ? Anyway, I set that up the 139's and broke my ankle the next day. Fast-forward two years and I'm riding an 8.18 with 139's that have 2 washers on the inside and one on the nut end and I'm also running wide-cut wheels.. Good compromise that enables me to feel like I have a setup suitable for most scenarios and fits my stature...6 feet, size 10, 165 lbs...I have spend way too much time considering this and have even emailed Indy about making a 145. Trust me, I wish I didn't care this much about this shit..
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:14:05 AM by TheRealDeal »