Author Topic: george powell  (Read 37035 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
george powell
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:54:26 AM »
I dont care what tricks hes doing, I respect g powell for being the only company guy  to give a shit about varied  skate equipment, back thru the 90s especially when he was by himself in that way. Bones precision man    STF,s !
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

shark tits

Re: george powell
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
what tricks is he doing? i know peralta used to surf the butthole but i believe powell was always an old man.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
what tricks is he doing?
tricks of the business world my man. tricks of the business world.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
The George Powell run skate brand had done more damage to professional skateboarding than any of the imposter companies. When Nike is better for skateboarding than you, then you don't deserve appreciation. The company makes some great wheels, they deserve their appreciation thread more than George Powell himself.

Fuck his history, he's just another snake in the grass.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
yah everyone cool like you ran companies with shit products cuz everyone was busy with having skate cool cred      your fucking rite those wheels -bearings are good   

dillanharp

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »

JAesop

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:27:40 AM »
Kids need to hit their history books. George Powell = very bad for skateboarding. If you want to thank somebody for the wheels and bearings thank Rob Washburn.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »
yah everyone cool like you ran companies with shit products cuz everyone was busy with having skate cool cred      your fucking rite those wheels -bearings are good   

Not really, there were a lot of good companies that really needed our support. Around '94-98 I had just moved back to southern California and was skating 8+ hrs/day almost every day and going through a lot of product. I had a couple Powell mini-logo boards when $ was tight and don'tthink a single one lasted more than a week before the nose or tail broke off. Meanwhile Real's decks were rock solid, Think has great shapes and super pop/response, Consolidated boards were great at the time, companies like Creature and Scarecrow were spawning, Mad Circle was hot shit, Capitol was peaking, and I rode all of them. Later in the 90's I skated mostly Anti Hero (had the Stranger greedy salesman from like their 2nd-3rd run of boards) and 151.

I'm not trying to assert credibility, just saying there was lots of good stuff available and at the time Powell was known for fucking over riders, undercutting prices when pros were making almost no money as it stood. Powell was seen as grom gear, with their angel boy shit being the driving force behind the company.

Yeah, Powell was uncool to ride but there was a good reason, and those reasons are still valid to this day. Even with Stacy back, where's Brad McClain's pro model? Where is anyone's? I think Cab has a board, and that Killian Martin dude does, I even saw a Stacy Peralta deck not long ago, but what about the guys like Aquil and McClain? That's what's wrong with Powell and George Powell was/is responsible for that.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 06:13:48 AM »
I know ALL  that shit (is he worse than all the skaters that own companies tho for ripping off riders?)  Fact is if you ride bones bearings your are smart 1st of all 2nd of all your supporting hitler apparently.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »
I know ALL?  that shit (is he worse than all the skaters that own companies tho for ripping off riders?)?  Fact is if you ride bones bearings your are smart 1st of all 2nd of all your supporting hitler apparently.

Agree to disagree? I wasn't trying to start an argument, nor was I meaning to compare him to anyone else; lesser evils and all that. Ride the products if you want, some are pretty hard to beat, but I stick with my stance that those objects deserve their own appreciation jerkoff thread more than Mr. Powell personally. One could also argue that it's more appropriate to recognize the actual brains behind the innovative products over their financial backer but it's fair to say that one may not have existed w/o the other, I'll give you and Georgey that much.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:59:59 AM »
no argument   thankyou for the clean responses and....      I'll believe you if you NEVER BUY OR RIDE SWISS AGAIN.  Yup im mean those dope ass bones bushings too!!  (good thing bones forced its competitors to start making decent bearings so theres more out there now for you to pik from)

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »
I'll believe you if you NEVER BUY OR RIDE SWISS AGAIN.  

Never said anything like that. I'm riding a set of Bones wheels right now. Last set of Bones Swiss bearings I had was around 1997'ish, they were alright and in a pinch I would probably grab a set of Reds if I needed something cheap and decent. At the moment I'm riding a set of original NMB bearings from the 80's and prefer them over any set of Bones that are under $100.

Yup im mean those dope ass bones bushings too!!

Agreed. I have some Bones Mediums and they're awesome.

(good thing bones forced its competitors to start making decent bearings so theres more out there now for you to pik from)

That's generally how industry works: competition feeds innovation. Whether Bones is the driving force of innovation is arguable* but they are definitely a big player nowadays.

*Lets not forget that the same kind of bearings were being used long ago, skateboarding just adopted them. You want to see some serious bearings look at speed skating (on roller/quad skates), street luge, etc.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
thanks for the responses fuck g powell nobody likes him i guess and i did always hate bonite