Author Topic: CARS THREAD  (Read 28964 times)

woodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 65
Re: CARS THREAD
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »
I just got a 2009 saab 9-3 turbo. After driving a Camry for 5 years I’m loving this thing. I got it up to 130 mph and it wants to go faster. Sometimes you gotta feed a little speed to your ride you know what I’m saying.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2018, 09:41:15 PM »
'77 Austin Mini, that doesn't get driven enough now that I have kids.

Forgive the license plate.  It was on there when I bought it and I have replaced it.

Before this I had quite a few BMW 2002s.  My nicest was a '71 with a sunroof, engine out of a rally car with a 300 degree cam and dual side-draft Webers.  I put a 5 speed in.

Before that, I had a '65 Chevy BelAir wagon with a 6 cylinder engine and a 2 speed automatic transmission.  Car wouldn't do over 65 without overheating.  I drove it from Maine to Oregon and overheated every 20 minutes going over Vail Pass at 35 mph.

this is so sweet.  must be a blast to drive. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »

current state of my ride:

2016 Jeep Wranger Rubicon 2 door, manual transmission
2.5 inch lift, 35 inch mud terrain tires, 16 inch Method wheels
steel bumpers, rock rails, fenders, and tire carrier
winch, light bar, cube lights, security enclosure

got a few more things planned before i'm finished
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2018, 12:35:47 PM »
The SO and I have been car camping for years; we would load up her Camry and just hit little pull up spots in state parks and turn off for a while. After a while we wanted to be able to venture out further and get a little more off the grid than your average car camping spot. I started out looking at Tacomas and 4Runners, but they are just too fucking expensive. After shopping around for a while I found a really good deal on a Nissan Xterra so I pulled the trigger on it. I put some entry level a/t tires on it and we've been hittin up some jeep trails and camping in the appalachian mountains. Have plans to camp in West Va next weekend and hit another 4x4 trail in george washington national forest next weekend. can't wait

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »
The Xterra looks like it would work pretty well. Been wanting to get into car camping more/own a vehicle, but I live in the city so it really doesn't make sense at this point.

I'd like to get a pickup (ranger, older toyota or nissan) and just throw a cab on the back and build out a raised bed and storage system. I'm just worried about fitting in there being over 6 feet tall.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2018, 06:21:36 AM »
The Xterra is great for getting out there an exploring a bit. I was shopping for a truck originally but tbh, tacomas, frontiers, rangers etc...were all so crazy expensive. best bang for the buck i could find was the xterra.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 325
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
The Xterra looks like it would work pretty well. Been wanting to get into car camping more/own a vehicle, but I live in the city so it really doesn't make sense at this point.

I'd like to get a pickup (ranger, older toyota or nissan) and just throw a cab on the back and build out a raised bed and storage system. I'm just worried about fitting in there being over 6 feet tall.

80s Toyota picks up have a long bed option. I’m 6’ and fit pretty snug in the back of ‘91 Toyota pickup with a regular bed.
With that said, it’s the best. Road trips never hold worry of where to throw a tent, and the amount of money i’ve saved with my girlfriend not getting hotels paid for the shell and modifications real quick.

If you plan on going the Toyota route, look for a solid axel series on a 22r series engine. They’re reliable, cheap and or easy to work on, and forgiving on availability of parts.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
My wife is riding me hard to get rid of my 2001 R50 Pathfinder which just hit 200k miles.

It's leaking oil something furious and there is some evidence that coolant was getting in the engine (although that has stopped) but it's been running well, critical repairs have been made, and I'd rather drive it until something goes bad than get a new payment to worry about.

I'm bummed that I'll probably never own another overbuilt, all analog car again.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2018, 07:58:20 AM »
unless you dont have room for it you shouldnt get rid of it.

i have a 2008 forester that has 210k miles on and i just had a shitload of work done on it and have no plans of getting rid of it even though i also have 2018 outback.

i constantly regret giving away my 1988 jetta. it was so simple and fun.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2018, 11:56:26 PM »
I had a 1990 240sx for about 6 months. It got totaled the other day...

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »
Looking into buying something, despite not really being able to afford it comfortably.  Very torn between buying something really cheap and hoping it doesn’t need repairs anytime soon.. or biting the bullet and getting something new with a low payment and warranty. 

Wanted a Honda but even used ones are pricy.  Had an old Toyota a few years ago, which are said to last forever, but mine was riddled with problems as soon as I got it.  Mainly looking for fuel efficiency and reliability.  Maybe a newer Kia or Hyundai?

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2018, 11:07:26 PM »

bummer... i've always wanted one of those.. s13 hatch or s14 kouki

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2018, 04:43:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bummer... i've always wanted one of those.. s13 hatch or s14 kouki
that  sucks dude Ive been looking for one but there all rusted and drifted to hell and still not that cheap.  My civic hatch got totaled 2 years ago. t boned at a light. Fuckin blows i know

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2018, 04:53:04 PM »
Looking into buying something, despite not really being able to afford it comfortably.  Very torn between buying something really cheap and hoping it doesn’t need repairs anytime soon.. or biting the bullet and getting something new with a low payment and warranty. 

Wanted a Honda but even used ones are pricy.  Had an old Toyota a few years ago, which are said to last forever, but mine was riddled with problems as soon as I got it.  Mainly looking for fuel efficiency and reliability.  Maybe a newer Kia or Hyundai?
I would never reccomend buying a new car, there not built to last like a 90s toyota or honda with a stick shift. That sucks you had issues with your car. That being said new cars are not all bad.  My brother has a 2012 civic si manual that he drives the piss out of.  125k original clutch no maintenance other then brakes and fluids.
I only own old cars but i also know how to fix them. If your not good with a wrench maybe go for something newer

guest1

« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2018, 06:59:28 PM »

current state of my ride:

2016 Jeep Wranger Rubicon 2 door, manual transmission
2.5 inch lift, 35 inch mud terrain tires, 16 inch Method wheels
steel bumpers, rock rails, fenders, and tire carrier
winch, light bar, cube lights, security enclosure

got a few more things planned before i'm finished

Nice man. I have a 99 sahara and want to upgrade and put some cool shit on it. So damn expensive though.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2018, 06:37:20 PM »
I just bought a Cayman like a dickhead. It's fun as shit, though.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2018, 09:53:22 PM »
I just bought a Cayman like a dickhead. It's fun as shit, though.
Porsche? jeeze what kind of job do you have? hell yeah for skateboaders!

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2019, 09:11:12 PM »
I sold my 92 2WD toyota pickup that had a little under 300k on it and used that cash to pickup up this little rust monster.

82 4WD JDM SR5, its awesome, all the parts are stamped and labeled in Japanese. I banged on it for 4 days straight and then took it on a 900 mile road trip back to Northern California. I've wanted one of these since high school, thus its been some rewarding moments. Their rare as all shit too so I'm grateful.

The kicker, only 60k on the odometer!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:13:03 PM by Pabst »
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2019, 05:09:58 AM »
BACK, TO THE FUTURE

That is such a sick truck. They hold their value so well, what did you pay for it?
I have an 09 sr5 Tacoma, with 131,000 km, I will probably keep it until 2025 or longer.

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2019, 05:18:58 AM »
Right now I have an 08 Dodge Charger as my daily. It’s the v6 and kinda beat but I’ve had it for years and is a tank.

My fun ride is a 1961 Chevy Corvair Greenbrier 8-door deluxe. Ive had it since 14, tinkering with my dad on it. So far everything mechanical has been taken apart, cleaned, fixed and put back. Next is all cosmetic stuff.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2019, 08:42:52 AM »
BACK, TO THE FUTURE

That is such a sick truck. They hold their value so well, what did you pay for it?
I have an 09 sr5 Tacoma, with 131,000 km, I will probably keep it until 2025 or longer.

It’s funny because I really want an ‘09 in the future. I think that’s one of the last years they did a 4 cylinder with 4WD. It’s a good year for Tacos.

The ‘82 I picked up wasn’t running so I got it for $4,500 and had to put another $300 into it. It more than likely needs about $1000 more to get it happy.

The Marty McFly was a second generation 4x4 tho, I think an 85? Which have that glorious 22RE under the hood. Mine still has “Toyota” on the tailgate raised in 3D from the sheer metal to give you an idea of the era.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2019, 09:45:57 AM »
Expand Quote
BACK, TO THE FUTURE

[close]

It’s funny because I really want an ‘09 in the future. I think that’s one of the last years they did a 4 cylinder with 4WD. It’s a good year for Tacos.

The ‘82 I picked up wasn’t running so I got it for $4,500 and had to put another $300 into it. It more than likely needs about $1000 more to get it happy.

The Marty McFly was a second generation 4x4 tho, I think an 85? Which have that glorious 22RE under the hood. Mine still has “Toyota” on the tailgate raised in 3D from the sheer metal to give you an idea of the era.
dude, that is such a nice truck, you know it's a sick truck when you are able to sell a 36 year old compact for 4500 not running. I might keep mine forever.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2019, 06:57:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BACK, TO THE FUTURE

[close]

[close]
dude, that is such a nice truck, you know it's a sick truck when you are able to sell a 36 year old compact for 4500 not running. I might keep mine forever.

Every generation of the toyota's pickup/tacoma are sick dude. Even the weird ones with the step side beds or odd long king cab windows.

Take pride in that '09! The best job I ever worked in my life was as a back country botanist for feds in lower California. All of our work trucks were '09 tacos with over 500k. They went everywhere, up everything, without an issue ever. Purring like middle aged wino milfs staring out the window at the pool boy. 

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »
just picked up this 89 s13 coupe

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2019, 07:24:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BACK, TO THE FUTURE

[close]

[close]
[close]

Every generation of the toyota's pickup/tacoma are sick dude. Even the weird ones with the step side beds or odd long king cab windows.

Take pride in that '09! The best job I ever worked in my life was as a back country botanist for feds in lower California. All of our work trucks were '09 tacos with over 500k. They went everywhere, up everything, without an issue ever. Purring like middle aged wino milfs staring out the window at the pool boy.
I love the truck, to death. Its -32 Celsius in Canada this morning, truck starts first try, runs perfect.
I will probably keep it until 2025. 

GollyIamGully

• Rep: -8
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2019, 02:05:21 PM »
This is my daily. 93 940 turbo. I will get pics of my supra when I go outside.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2019, 03:02:30 PM »
This is my daily. 93 940 turbo. I will get pics of my supra when I go outside.

love old volvo wagons.

GollyIamGully

• Rep: -8
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2019, 05:10:28 PM »
Its good fun, and lots of people are surprised at how quick it is. My girl has an 83 240 sedan also, but its less fun.

The supra is in sorry ass shape at the moment....but i got the cage in it this fall and started the body work. Deciding on an engine currently. As soon as i figure out how to resize pics, I will get one up. I cant crop any of those down enough to fit here.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2019, 03:50:46 AM »
Its good fun, and lots of people are surprised at how quick it is. My girl has an 83 240 sedan also, but its less fun.

The supra is in sorry ass shape at the moment....but i got the cage in it this fall and started the body work. Deciding on an engine currently. As soon as i figure out how to resize pics, I will get one up. I cant crop any of those down enough to fit here.

yea supra's are awesome also. Always wanted a supra. But found myself diving head first into the 240sx scene haha

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2019, 12:41:58 PM »
Still holding on to my Pathfinder but I'm worried it has a head gasket issue - this mayonnaise looking shit keeps boiling to the top of my oil tank. Probably coolant.

Fortunately it leaks so much oil I'm able to add a half quart of fresh oil a week.

It's a shame that class of SUV has gotten stupid large - I couldn't fit one in a good percentage of street parking spots where I live. Looking at compact SUVs and they all kinda suck.

CR-V has engine problems Honda won't admit to (they've had recalls in China and Canada).
CX-5 looks nice but doesn't really drive as wonderful as its press would indicate (it's ok). Rather small cargo and back seats.
Subarus have wimpy engines and recently poor reliability.
The new RAV4 transmission is terrible and the engine sounds like a swarm of angry bees. I should have bought the 2018 when they were blowing them out. It was super dull and kind of underpowered but it probably would have lasted forever.