Author Topic: Soy Panday, Magenta pro & art director, interview  (Read 2002 times)

LANDSCAPEYO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2

Prince Nelson

Re: Soy Panday, Magenta pro & art director, interview
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:08:51 PM »
Wonderful interview. Soy is very well-spoken.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
damn that company has no debts? i wonder what the so called huge company that is doing well debt is?

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
 "I have little interest in differentiating Europe, Japan and the States. What is interesting is proposing new ideas, wherever they come from."

lol of course. you went to japan, stole their whole vibe and turned it into a company. id rather see a legit japanese company doing this instead of some french weeaboos.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:33:21 PM »
this is magenta

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:51:46 PM »
"I have little interest in differentiating Europe, Japan and the States. What is interesting is proposing new ideas, wherever they come from."

lol of course. you went to japan, stole their whole vibe and turned it into a company. id rather see a legit japanese company doing this instead of some french weeaboos.

i dunno...I've been into japanese skate videos long enough to see Magenta does borrow from it but it's definitely not stealing.  also, it's very japanese to take a portion of another culture and perfect/adapt it to their own way of doing things.  if anything, it seems Magenta has helped a lot of the japanese companies get more exposure than anything...

it'd be interesting to hear if there are any japanese skate companies/skaters that share your viewpoint.   
hardly art, hardly starving

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »
on another note...anyone seen the Perth video?  anyone know if/when physical copies are coming to the U.S., and where (aside from Theories)?
hardly art, hardly starving

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »

Vivien and Soy have had credibility in skateboarding for a very long time, the initial successs of their company seems like a no-brainer: popular, interesting pros starting their own brand with good product. What ido you see as Japaneesy about their vibe, other than having collabs and team riders from there? Is it Leo's skating you are referring to?

Good interview

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:37:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i dunno...I've been into japanese skate videos long enough to see Magenta does borrow from it but it's definitely not stealing.  also, it's very japanese to take a portion of another culture and perfect/adapt it to their own way of doing things.  if anything, it seems Magenta has helped a lot of the japanese companies get more exposure than anything...

it'd be interesting to hear if there are any japanese skate companies/skaters that share your viewpoint.  

Couldn't agree more Art.

Lennie I have no idea what you're talking about. I usually agree with many of your posts, but this one is completely out in left field and seems embarrassingly short sighted. Magenta celebrates their Worldwide Connections and have a particular affinity for Japan. They do a damn good job bringing to light the Japanese skate culture, the friendships they made, and how their Japanese brothers influence their skating. That's where it starts and stops. There is positively nothing about Magenta's vibe, aesthetic, art direction or anything else that is 'stolen' from the Japanese.

Could you give a particular example? You are dropping an extremely broad generalization. It's also kind of fucked up to refer to the Magenta cats as "French weeaboos".

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:11 PM »
Great interview. As I've said in a couple threads I don't often find myself loving their clothing or graphics, but I absolutely respect their skateboarding, and vision, the latter of which Soy does a great job of expressing here. As for the ripping off of Japanese skate style and companies? Sounds like 100% bullshit to me.