Author Topic: New to Nor Cal  (Read 9930 times)

surfhwy1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
New to Nor Cal
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »
I just moved to Mountain View and there is a shitty little metal ramp/park set up down the street that got my old legs working again, any other good parks in the San Jose/Bay Area that are a must hit?
Sunnyvale is close and I will try that today but Thrashers park site sucks and thought I would throw it out there to the Slap world and also in need of some good green to really enjoy the parks but I should be able to find that up here.
Cheers!

vans man

• Rep: 4
Re: New to Nor Cal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »
Sunnyvale is fun you will find weed that's all you need to know

dillanharp

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »
Roosevelt park in SJ is fun if there's not a ton of people there.
As for the other thing.
http://m.yelp.com/biz/mmj-doctor-san-jose

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 03:44:27 PM »
As far as San Jose is concerned, Roosevelt is my favorite. Fun little mini bowl.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?safe=off&q=roosevelt+park+san+jose&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x808fcce8e1bb5969:0xb9d18ca846aa2450,Roosevelt+Park,+San+Jose,+CA&gl=us&ei=DwDkU5b9KYiXyASEsICIBg&sqi=2&ved=0CJIBEPIBMA8

Mayfair Plaza (Red Park) is also fun. More of a street plaza.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mayfair+Community+Center/@37.35152,-121.843838,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x40a5a2949e015e9f

As has been said before Sunnyvale is great. Santa Cruz County also has some really amazing parks if you feel like driving over the 17. They are all like ten minutes from each other (Derby, Scotts Valley, Mike Fox, and Ben Lomond which might be a bit further out than the others).

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »
Lake Cunningham if you don't mind wearing pads and paying for parking.

SF has Potrero Del Sol for transitional fun and a new plaza-style spot 4 blocks from the DLX store.
SPB!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »
Always stayed away from Roosevelt, to much gang activity- some notre got shot after I visited it on day.   Love Sunnyvale just am not a fan of crowed spots

My favs include

Greer in Palo Alto

Plata Arroyo in San Jose

Fremont Skatepark in Fremont

dillanharp

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 04:51:13 PM »
Plata is over run with bmxers now. Fremont is amazing as long as Jordan Richter's get in the way academy isn't happening.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
^^Richmond is my favorite and Berkeley is amazing too. Hang out at Potrero long enough and Phelps will probably appear and call you a nigga and tell you to varial flip something. In SJ, I really enjoy red park as well as Sunnyvale. Try that new Fremont park, I hear it's the shit as well though I haven't made it there yet.

If you make it to Santa Cruz I'll probably see you out there. Derby is a classic, one of the oldest parks ever that just got a facelift and is really fun. It can be as low impact or as gnarly as you want it to be. Santa Cruz's park with the fullpipe (Mike Fox) is fun but not super flowy, but has good transition in the form of two big bowls with pool coping. Scott's Valley is another good park but watch out for the fuzz.

yapple dapple

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 05:10:55 PM »
Make a trip to St Helena.
Fremont is pretty fun as well.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 05:33:07 PM »
Plata is over run with bmxers now. Fremont is amazing as long as Jordan Richter's get in the way academy isn't happening.

Really that sucks, I haven't been to a park all year and went to Fremont once or twice after it opened and I went at the butt crack of dawn to avoid gromits.  Usually  always wind up at Greer due to it being empty, nice quiet skate sesh with beers and ganja always does it for me.  I usually end up watching the rippers when I go to heavy traffic parks.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 07:27:52 PM »
you aren't that far from the state of jefferson. i hear some of the most magical skate fairys frolick them forests.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 761
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 07:36:16 PM »
Rockridge bart station. Slappies for days and manny pads

nothing's been the since same

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 08:28:26 PM »
If you ever find your way to Sacramento we have a bunch of parks (a new street plaza opening soon and a snake run being built), some ditches, some private DIY's.

surfhwy1

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »
Ha, I knew the green would get the responses, I hit up Sunnyvale yesterday before the first comment and scored. Fun park and cool people, a few of the kids were killing it also so good to see solid lines go down.
Thanks for the welcome, Greer tomorrow morning, old school.

surfhwy1

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »
Thanks all, I've got some exploring to do, a lot of parks here nowadays.  I've done Derby back in the day so looking forward to that soon also.
 ;D

foureyedjim

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »
Dude...I LOVE mountain view's metal mini ramp  :P

fukkboyslim

• Rep: -19
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »
If your looking for street spots in san jose check out city hall in downtown. All the times I been there I seen chris haslam skate with his friends there. Even saw him with ben raemers too.

Also try cesar chavez plaza in downtown too. The guadalupe river trail banks by the childrens museum are fun.

Cruise around downtown san jose and you'll see alot of spots to hit

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 12:35:34 AM »
Rockridge bart station. Slappies for days and manny pads

best slappy curb ever

wheee!

surfhwy1

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »
Ha, a long way to go for a slappy curb, but I am Tom Knox's age so it sounds worth it.  Found a great slappy zone near my place and I have hit some of the mentioned spots.

Any more input on banks, DIY, natural terrain on the peninsula would be much appreciated also. 

Cheers!

Al408

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »
Since you live by Rengstorff you have the convenience of the Cal Train, which can take you to some pretty rad parks/ spots I would check out Menlo Parks Skate park if you enjoy skating tranny. Stanford in Palo Alto if you like ledges and stairs, Downtown Sunnyvale has some spots a few ledges in this narrow walk way by some electronic businesses, also a across from the cal train is a parking area under a overpass with a flat gap and some curb sized brick manual pads, there also a 10 stair close by if you want to huck. I highly recommend Dowtown San Jose though an ass load of street spots and a newish DIY under a bridge, bring some brews and uou should be good. Also don't wear blue if you're going to Roosevelt, RPL fools are gnarly 

GetSnaked

• Rep: -4
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »
go to campbell skatepark on acid.
they just repainted it bright green, orange, and blue.

Also check out foster city and san mateo, cool and small, foster city you can just skate the brick bank for days
i get the joke it's just not funny and doing school for a long time doesn't make you not a dipshit.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You little zoomers that came up at zoomies don’t know shit and you need to read a fucking book and put

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »
If you don't mind a bit of a drive Wilits park in Mendocino county and Rippon are really sick parks.

Oh, and go cruise hills in some neighborhoods in SF. Doesn't matter which one. Just do it. You are too close not to.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

surfhwy1

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »
Thanks and stoked to all who are contributing.

I will hit most of the spots mentioned, sans acid although I'm sure it would be fun.

I've done Ripon back in the day but not Wilits yet so I'll keep those as a future trip, but I would like to skate the hills with someone some time that type of skating is not as fun solo, at least the first few times IMO.

I may hit Foster today I like brick banks and not too far, thx.

Cal Train idea is killer, cheers it is very close and I've been wanting to use it, I drive a F150 so gas is always fun. My main question here is what bridge, DIY spots are high on my stoke list.

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 02:35:48 AM »
my east bay spot list:
Walnut Creek skatepark
Benecia skatepark
Concord (gets boring fast)
Diablo Valley college in pleasant hill has some new spots

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »
Oh, and go cruise hills in some neighborhoods in SF. Doesn't matter which one. Just do it. You are too close not to.

This!

The daly city park is shitty, but they have the best miniramp in the area IMO. Plus its right around the block from an in-n-out burger and a krispy kreme.

Avoid crocker amazon park. Small, weird layout, altogether no good. Balboa and SoMa are great, though.

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »
just moved to santa cruz myself. i frequent derby and the wave park and would love to make it up to san jose and other parks nearby but do not have good transportation at the moment.

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

surfhwy1

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 09:09:13 AM »
So about a year deep now and hit some great spots and having fun.  Most recently I checked out Potrero (amazing bowl), Davenport DIY (awesome view, art and a sick spot), and the Flower Shop (Wow, tight and amazing).

Any help/hints on some more DIY style spots like the under the bridge San Jose that someone mentioned.
Cheers palS.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 02:13:32 PM »
the DIY under the bridge is on Bassett Street in San Jose, had some dudes tell it's a bust and others tell me its cool, but I'm really not sure
only picture i could find

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »
the DIY under the bridge is on Bassett Street in San Jose, had some dudes tell it's a bust and others tell me its cool, but I'm really not sure
only picture i could find

wha...thats news to me! will check out tomorrow and will report back